Leverage Boss Promises 'Powerful' Series Finale on Dec. 25, as Renewal Hangs in the Balance

Leverage_Hutton_BellmanWith his TNT caper drama’s fate in flux, Leverage executive producer Dean Devlin isn’t counting on stealing a Season 6. As such, he says that the season-ender airing Dec. 25 is purposely designed to also serve as a “powerful” series finale.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time‘s Eion Bailey Joins TNT Pilot

“[Fellow EP] John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot,” Devlin wrote in an open letter on LeverageFans.com.  As a result, the hour — perhaps inauspiciously titled “The Long Good-bye Job” — is “the series finale we had always envisioned.”

But despite the finality of the episode, there’s still opportunity for Timothy Hutton’s Nate and his team to pull off more jobs should the cable network renew the fan favorite.

“Everyone involved with the show… would like nothing more than to continue telling these stories,” reaffirms Devlin. “But, in case we do not get that opportunity we felt that, creatively, after 77 episodes, we owed it to you, our fans, to end the show properly.”

Leverage is the only TNT drama in limbo, as the cabler has already renewed Rizzoli & Isles, Major Crimes and Franklin & Bash. Meanwhile, two new dramas wait in the wings, set for early 2013 debuts: the cop drama Boston’s Finest and the David E. Kelley series Monday Mornings.

1. ChellemaBelle says:

Franklin & Bash over Leverage? WTH?

• Irena Gallo says:

My thoughts exactly. And that dog, Major Crimes, over Leverage? PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL LEVERAGE. Love the show, the plots, the characters.

• Mike Savage says:

Leverage is one of the best shows …..PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL

• Michael Weisser says:

Major Crimes is a good show, but Leverage is better. That kid Rusty kinda gets on my nerves. Leverage is probably the best all around show TNT has ever had and there has been no show in history like it. Come on people, lets get them to get it back on. I know the cast and crew want to keep it going. Write to the producers at: 1010 Techwood Dr. NW Atlanta, GA 30318. Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Trish says:

I completely agree! “Leverage” is very well scripted, acted and, unlike too many shows, also pretty intelligent. The chemistry among the actors seems genuine, and I love the theme – beat the amorally rich at their own games and aid those whom they’ve wronged. More quality dramas need to return to T.V., e.g., “Law & Order,” “In Plain Sight,” an oldy but goody, “Crossing Jordan,” just to name a few. The redundancy of reality T.V. is nauseatingly pervasive. “Toddlers & Tiaras”? Two minutes into that program & I wanted to hurl. What is wrong with those women? And it’s broadcast on the learning channel!? That program should be renamed “Toddlers for Pedophiles & Perverts.” But I digress. Please, please, please bring back “Leverage.” The dreft of quality T.V. is worrisome. I’ll just read more books.

• Michael Weisser says:

If they don’t bring Leverage back I’ll make sure they’ll NEVER! hear the end of it. Get somebody besides Devlin if it comes to that because Leverage MUST! go on. It was cancelled way to soon and there are alot of people getting in to it to this day. It has been one of my favorite shows of all time.

• Sandy Nash says:

I agree. Please don’t cancel Leverage. I’ve been watching it since the 1st episode.

2. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Honestly I don’t see why they couldn’t make the decision before it came down to the season finale being filmed. I’m sure someone will post some nonsense they feel that they know about the TV industry and how things are done to justify it, but this is stupid.

3. chad says:

Im just saying… PLEASE!!! We want season 6

4. Jennifer says:

HUGE mistake if TNT cancels this show! It’s one of the very few shows that my family & I watch together! I admit I 1st started watching because I’m a huge Christian Kane fan but it took all of 1 episode for me to completely fall in love with all the characters! TNT has been stringing not only the whole Leverage crew around but also us devoted fans. We all deserve to know one way or the other!

• Catharine says:

Same here – started watching because of Timothy Hutton, only took one episode and we were hooked! The whole family sits down to watch – LEVERAGE DAY is written on our calendar each week. The characters are amazing, the background conversations and teasing are so fun to watch – just like a family. One of the only shows that I want to see for the character development just as much as the main story line. We are now devoted Christian Kane fans as well. PLEASE GIVE US A SEASON SIX!!!!!!

• Trish says:

• Brenda says:

I agree, it took me one episode and I was hooked. Come on – bring them back. The chemistry between the characters is fantasic.

5. MC says:

As much as I love Leverage, I’d be OK with this being the final season. Creatively, it’s been spinning its wheels for a few seasons now, and with a few exceptions every episode has been the same. I’ll miss the characters and the world, but there’s no shame in calling your own number and ending on a high-note.

• Hafiz says:

Agree. I’d rather want this episode as series finale, I mean a good one.

• kimmie katt says:

Really !!! As I recall there is only one or two episodes that some bad guy gets killed . This is a series that even your teen’s can watch. And show’s the world just what really happens to the little guys and how they are taken advantage of . I know I don’t want my grandson watching the gun, knife, harsh murdering violent show’s to which I won’t name . Ok Monday mornings I will name because its all about death. Leverage is a fun learning show . My four year old grandson told me a.( those guys are good guy n they tell all kids its not nice to steal) please rethink your comment . Thanks KIMMIE KATT Murray ut

6. Carm says:

I love Leverage!!! I hope it gets renewed

7. What in the world is TNT thinking? This is a no-brainer!! Renew the best show on TV for a sixth season. TNT will lose many viewers if they decide to cancel Leverage. This would be a HUGE mistake!

8. Linda says:

Yeah, I doubt TNT really wants Leverage renewed…putting the finale on Christmas Day. Seriously? Stupid TNT.

9. lauri says:

Please from Spain renew leverage for 6 season. I love Christian

10. BigMike says:

Must be about the money. It always is.

• Midori004 says:

No, it’s about money.

If the show was cheap to make then it can have a lot fewer people watching. Fringe is still somehow on the air because it makes money for WB still and Fox gets a great deal.

• Mo says:

You are aware that Fringe is ending, right? Just a few episodes left. And the main reason it has been a bubble show every season is because it is an expensive show to produce & was losing money. Fox actually kept it around a lot longer than I would have expected.

I hope Leverage gets renewed because it is the only TNT original series I watch. But either way, they shouldn’t keep cast & crew waiting on an answer.

• Midori004 says:

Did you actually read what the Fox president has said about Fringe?

First of all, it wasn’t a bubble show the first season, not at all, it was a huge hit. Fox then wanted to kill the show and stuck it at 9pm Thursday and wasted the post House Monday time slot on crap that got canceled.

The show started losing money last year, and the Fox president said “We aren’t in the money making business”. WB gave them a hell of a deal to give the show a final season.

TV networks are to make money, thats their point. Ratings depend on the show.

• Jess says:

Fox wanted to kill the show? Seriously? People still believe that crap? If a Network wanted to “kill” a show they would just cancel it. Fringe got moved to Fridays BECAUSE it’s ratings started to crash. The truth hurts but it is still the truth.

11. Lena says:

Please please do NOT cancel Leverage. Its a great show.

12. Mystique says:

Boston’s Finest and Monday Mornings both look promising from what I’ve seen…but no more Leverage? I won’t be watching TNT ever again, no mater how good those shows may turn out to be. I LOVED last years’ finale being on Christmas due to a huge family party I attended. Even got a few more fans hooked as I refused to go to the party if we couldn’t watch it! ;) However, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, forget about the devoted fans, what about the cast/crew? It is completely unfair to THEM for TNT to screw around this long with the news! They deserve better than this, TNT. Even if it is the end, LET THEM KNOW!!! I’m not ready to say goodbye to the team yet, but really? This is pathetic.

13. Toni says:

What is TNT thinking? Leverage is the best show that network airs! If they cancel Leverage, I stop watching TNT!

14. Cheese says:

Leverage is the ONLY thing worth watching on TNT. They still have so much they could do. They could really hit 100 I think, if the network would give them a chance.

15. diane says:

I hope they renew. I just found it over the summer, with the reruns on ION. I think it has one more season in it.

16. Karen says:

I love Leverage and have since the first episode. I ahve never missed an initial airing and watch every repeat on TNT, ION and a local Vegas indeendent station even though I have all episodes recorded and saved. It is simply the most original, most well written series with intelligence and wit. Not to mention the absolute best cast on any series, network or cable. If TNT does not renew Leverage, I have sworn that I will delete ALL Turner networks from my cable line-up: TNT, TBS, CNN, HLN and even my beloved TCM. The ratings system used by TNT can not possibly encompass all the fans Leverage has. All you need to do is check out TNT’s facabook page. More comments are left about Leverage than all their other shows combined.

• The ratings don’t reflect that.

• Actually, the ratings so far for season 5 are only about 500K lower than the first season (2.49 vs 3.15), and about a million lower than Season 3, which was their highest season (3.35). Many series have gone on longer with a more severe drop in ratings. “Burn Notice” over on USA (another favorite of mine) has lost over 3 million viewers in the last two seasons and yet has been renewed for a 7th season. I think, if the writers would concentrate more on a season-long story arc like they did with Damian Moreau in Season 3 and Latimer/Dubenich in Season 4, it would keep more viewers locked in. I say, give them that chance, TNT. Find the sponsors, you’ve got them somewhere, and give Leverage ONE more season.

• Allen says:

First of all, Facebook and Twitter and GetGlue etc… are poor indicators of a shows popluarity. It is fairly easy for a small group of folks to make it seem like a bigger deal than its. Also, posting on a page or hitting the “Like” button doesn’t mean the person is actually watching the show.

Second of all, TNT doesn’t use the ratings system. ADVERTISERS use the rating system.

• But that’s why the ratings are so important, and I’ll bet it’s why TNT hasn’t renewed Leverage for another season. The ratings have dropped–not a lot, but they have dropped–and I think that’s making advertisers wary of sponsoring the show. TNT execs may very well want to renew Leverage, but if they can’t get advertisers to sponsor it, they can’t make any money. And none of them want to be responsible for the network losing money on a show.

Personally, I think this whole “half-seasons” thing with a huge break in the middle is killing some of the really good cable shows. I know why they do it, but still, when you take a 10-12 week break in the middle of a season, you’ll get your Tier 1 audience back when you resume, but you have to work even harder than the networks to get your T2 and T3 audiences back.

17. mac says:

What the hell ?!
    How is Leverage not a lock for renewal ? As far as I remember it’s one of TNTs cheaper to produce shows, has recently landed a huge syndication deal and is basically the best show this network has !!! D=

Hopefully some other network buys the rights to the show…I mean…C’MON TNT RENEW IT

18. SUZANNE says:

TNT WHAT ARE YOU THINKING THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS GUYS AND GIRLS CAN ENJOY. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL

19. Kelly says:

Leverage should be renewed I want it renewed. I’ve been voting daily for it in the people’s choice awards. But what is a real shame is the fact that the show has been on several seasons and the network couldn’t let them know the fate before writing/filming the season finale. Smart of the writers to think ahead but that’s just cold and disrespectful.

20. Truly Roxie says:

I LOVE this show. How could they cancel it?

21. Josh says:

I hope this show doesn’t get canceled BUT I am really happy they’re writing a series finale. It’s a(sort of) win-win for fans. If the show doesn’t get renewed we get a proper ending, if the show does get renewed we get a great episode and many more :).

More showrunners should do this. I know some think “Well just in case…” and “If we end on a cliffhanger, we might get renewed!” THey’re doing the right thing!

22. rilianeo says:

I would hate for this to be the last season. I love the show and can’t wait for the new season I think TNT would be making a HUGE mistake in letting it go. That being said I am thankful that they are giving us an ending and not leaving wondering what if. I think they are being very respectful to their fans in that regard. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be the
    ‘long good-bye’

23. Andy says:

I love Leverage so much. I have just a couple shows that would wreck my day if they were to be cancelled, and LEverage is one of them. I have loved it since the pilot first aired. I really hope TNT renews it for at least one more season, that’s all I’m asking for. Their EPs are great, and if Dec. 25th is the last job pulled off, I thank them for planning on a series finale and ending it properly. Does anyone know how many episodes this season is going to have? Because over the years, each season has been having an increase in number of episodes.

24. JWB says:

Is that correct? They are airing the last episode on Christmas? That can’t be good. This season hasn’t been very good. TNT has LA Noir in the works so maybe this is a good thing. At least they get to wrap things up. Most shows don’t get that chance.

25. Me says:

All we want for Christmas is a renewal!
    Let’s go steal a season 6!
    #LGSAS6

26. S.L. Brandon says:

I wonder how many shows keep going that are pure garbage. Yet a quality show like Leverage that the whole family can watch, the T.P.T.B. aren’t sure about renewing. Please renew Leverage!

27. Emgee says:

I hate to be a negative nellie, but I think it’s best that they end it at this point.
    Don’t get me wrong, it is a good show, but Season 4 lacked the spark that Seasons 1-3 had. Season 5 has been better, especially these last couple of episodes, but with that being said, I would like to see them end on a high note rather than have a sub-par season the way that Season 4 was.
    Just my opinion, and I will still watch it if it is renewed, but I wouldn’t be devastated if it ended after this year.

28. LynnH says:

Cancelling this show would be a TRAVESTY!! We have watched every single episode since The Nigerian Job. One of the absolute best shows on TV. Please, TNT, do not let this one go!

29. Katie says:

If there isn’t a Season 6, that’s it for my TV viewing. At least I won’t have to move it, and it may bring a few bucks.

30. TimJ says:

Fun show, sad to see it go. Glad they were able to film a season finale that will also work as the series finale, if needed. Its obvious that Gina Bellman (Sophie) was pregnant during the filming for season 5. I guess they decided, given the potential cancellation, that it made more sense to camouflage Bellman’s pregnancy than than to bring back Jerri Ryan.

31. Justin says:

I definitely hope this isn’t the end for Leverage. It’s been on my top 10 list of best shows on television since it began. Now if it did end now, I would hope the series finale did the show and the cast justice, which I’m sure it will given how great a show this is. I would be sad to see it go, but glad it went out on a high note.

32. Ben says:

Nooooo! Not Leverage! I need it to get me through the week.

33. Jess says:

I knew it. I was just saying to my friend the other day that this season of Leverage feels like they are trying to wrap things up. I guess the writers knew what was coming. I hope we get a season 6 but if not at least we are getting a proper ending. That is more than a lot of shows get.

34. Nic says:

Guys, if you want this show renewed, let TNT know. Contact them. Email them. Let them know how much you enjoy the show.. Here, I’ll help you. Go to the following link and click “Email TNT”. Whether or not this will do any good, who knows? But it’s worth a shot, right? http://support.tntdrama.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=5477

35. Too bad we can’t hire the Leverage team to make sure TNT doesn’t cancel their TV show. #meta

36. I had a feeling, too that this might be the last season. Im just glad, that we get to see the series finale they talked about for years and that they went for the save way and already filmed it for this season. But I still hope very much that we get another season. I just love these guys and dont want to see them gone.

37. Joan says:

Noooooo!! Leverage is the best! I want a season 6 :(

38. Veronica says:

I don’t want Leverage to end. I hope that they renew it.

39. Kristina says:

That’s good to hear. I hope they renew it, but I’m thrilled we got this much of it!

40. Please don’t cancel Leverage, it’s an amazing show! Funny, creative and with a great cast!

41. kim says:

Leverage is a show the entire family can watch and enjoy. In these days of formulaic cop shows and horrible reality series, Leverage is a breath of fresh air! We need Season 6!!!

42. Marlene says:

LEVERAGE needs to be renewed, I <3 LEVERAGE :)

43. Ashley says:

I hope they don’t cancel as I still very much enjoy the show, but this is a class act by tptb. At the very least we’ll get a proper goodbye. Kudos to them!

44. Sandrs says:

Please don’t cancel leverage we need to keep this seris going if they cancel this what’s next?

45. Sandra says:

NO DONT DO IT

46. Vivienne says:

If Leverage gets cancelled, the only program left on TNT worth watching will be Rizzoli & Isles.

47. Killing Leverage now is the most stupid thing I ever heard!! It’s 100x better than ANY of the shows already renewed!Like most networks, they are only looking for the CHEAPEST way out…..

48. Terri says:

Please renew Leverage! I impatiently wait for it every week. It is the *only* show I watch live (not on DVR where I ff’d through the commercials) because I cannot wait for it!