Glee Recap: The Best, or Nothing at All

glee rachel swan songI’m going to start this recap by admitting — without any shame whatsoever — that this week’s Glee moved me to tears not once, but twice. And one of those times may have been when the Jewish girl was inexplicably belting “O Holy Night.”

Okay, so we’ve got that out of the way. Whew. And while “Swan Song” was a deeply heartfelt hour that — at times — felt more like a spectacular televised concert than a regularly scheduled episode of Fox’s hit dramedy, it also contained a moment of pure meta hilarity. I speak, of course, of Brittany S. Pierce’s explanation to Sam Evans about why she wouldn’t be able to date him: “It’s like all lesbians of the nation — I don’t know how they found out about Santana and I dating, but once they did, they started sending me Tweets and Facebook messages on Lord Tubbington’s wall. I think it means a lot to them to see two super hot, popular girls in love, and I worry if they find out about you and I dating, that they’ll turn on you and get really violent and hurt your beautiful face and mouth.”

PHOTOS | Glee: 25 Songs We’d Love to Hear in Season 4 (and Who We’d Like to Sing ‘Em)

Even if you’ve got Brittana 4Eva tattooed on your abdomen, that’s some cheeky-good writing, yes? (I know, I know, some of you are all “hell to the no,” but I just can’t root for any teenage relationship to be a series “endgame,” or get upset when it doesn’t work out the way my imagination intended. Then again, I didn’t even want Carrie and Big to end up together on SATC.)

Anyhow, if you were too busy Googling whether or not The Walking Dead is based on a true story, here’s what you missed on Glee.

* Rachel scored one of 10 verrrrry exclusive invites to perform at the Winter Showcase, and naturally, this rankled Cassandra July, who challenged her least favorite pupil to a dance off. And while the nasty professor won the battle, she didn’t win the war: Rachel realized she’d need to focus entirely on her vocals to win, and with a flawless, jaw-dropping one-two punch of “Being Good Isn’t Good Enough” and “O Holy Night,” that’s exactly what she did. (All in favor of Lea Michele performing in the NYADA Round Room at least once an episode for the rest of Season 4 say “aye!”)

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Scandal, Supernatural, Once, Glee, Gossip Girl, NCIS, Dead and More!

* The drama of the event was far from over, though, when Whoopi Goldberg’s Madame Tibideaux put Rachel’s roommate Kurt on the spot and asked him to give a spontanous audition in front of NYADA’s faculty and best students. Let’s just say his transcendent rendition of “Being Alive” landed him in the exact place he wanted to be: As an incoming NYADA freshman starting with second semester! (But what will this mean for his internship at Vogue.com?)

* Back at McKinley, New Directions got DQ’d from Sectionals for leaving the stage after Marley’s collapse, and the end of their competitive season left them without a choir room in which to practice. Yep, Sue co-opted the high-ceilinged space for the Cheerios’ new aerialist offshoot. (There was that chick with the neck brace again!) And while the power play was far fetched, let’s all just go with it for now… With their club in collapse, the glee-club members dispersed to various other extracurricular activities (Tina and Blaine as Cheerios!) but interim advisor Finn — with a lovely pep talk over the phone from ex Rachel — rallied the troops with a strongly worded email. By the end of the episode, the kids were practicing in a dark and snowy McKinley courtyard (I had guessed their new rehearsal space was going to be the cafeteria kitchen) — looking happier and sounding as good as ever. Awwww…warm fuzzies in the winter time!

* Oh, and Brittany and Sam are dating. Rachel planted a kiss on (gah!) Brody. And that’s pretty much the whole ball of wax.

Episode’s Best Lines
“I died a slow, horrible death choking on my own fluids.” –Sue’s rewrite of the plaque honoring former McKinley glee-club advisor Lillian Adler

“That’s what I felt when I saw Prometheus.” –Becky, responding to Sue’s description of being “left with a strange, empty feeling” after vanquishing New Directions

“Finance major at Brandeis: Turns out glee club was really holding me back.” –Brittany, in a fantasy sequence examining what happened to the glee club kids after Sue shut ‘em down for the season

“Look, those kids, they respect you so much and they look up to you. So don’t let them give up on their dreams, okay? And promise me one thing: Don’t give up on yours.” –Rachel, finishing up her awesome pep talk

Letter Grades for This Week’s Musical Performances
Sam and Brittany, “Something Stupid”: B+ (loved Brittany’s harmonies on this one!)

Cassandra and Rachel, “All That Jazz”: A- (Cassandra’s move where she got lifted in a half split by two guys and then somehow flipped over without breaking her neck made her the hands-down winner…plus, this is one of my favorite show-tunes of all time ever.)

Rachel, “Being Good Isn’t Good Enough”: A+ (Holy hell…this goes down in history right alongside “Don’t Rain on My Parade”)

Rachel, “O Holy Night”: A+ (And this…now, pass the Kleenex)

Kurt, “Being Alive”: A+ (Yep, here’s where the waterworks started up again. Stellar work, Mr. Hummel!)

Finn and New Directions, “Don’t Dream It’s Over”: A (What an absolutely gorgeous choice…someone ought to sagely scoop this one up on The Voice or X Factor)

What did you think of “Swan Song”? How did you feel about the week’s musical performances? Sound off in the comments!

1. Leo says:

Brittana fans need to stop playing the “woe-are-we-lesbians” and “ryan-hates-lesbians” card. You guys are being immature and out of line.
    (Except some of those who aren’t lesbians or dramatic.)
    Brittana don’t get enough screen time. Face it! Tike also don’t get enough screen time but you don’t see their shippers being dramatic around. And don’t turn this into one big sexuality jerk around.
    Glee is growing up. Its fans need to as well.
    There are disappointments and then there are overdramatic comments.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Sexuality Jerk Around sounds like a great name for a band. :)

• Leo says:

That one just came randomly. I don’t even think it makes sense. LOL.
        Btw, I love your comment below mine. Most of Glee fans really need to turn their passion into something other than hate comments.
        I love reading reviews and comments for all the TV shows I watch but whenever I read Glee’s, I just feel sad by how its watchers continue to wreak havoc and conjure up a hate storm to the show, actors, writers even the innocent reviewers.

• A says:

Finally someone sensible. Couldn’t have said it better myself. All this hatred toward the show is ridiculous and really sad.

• Allyson says:

I agree 100%! Stop complaining and hating on Ryan Murphy and his staff.All Glee fans care about couples these days and aren’t afraid to show their anger until their couples are reunited! Tonight’s episode was fantastic! Rachel and Kurt’s performances were amazing! It seems like no matter what Glee fans are going to be hating instead of appericating this fantastic show! Yes, was I sad Finn and Rachel aren’t together anymore, yes, but I got over it. On Revenge, Nolan is bi-sexual so I didn’t see the issue with Britney being bi-xsexual and dat

• Allyson says:

I don’t understand why so many are having issues with Britney being with a guy.

• Sean C. says:

Many other people have already spelled this out, but I’ll do it for you again: the issue is not Brittany dating a guy. She’s bisexual. The issue is that Brittany’s dating a guy exposes every single colossal double standard on this show in its portrayal of Brittany’s gay relationship versus her two straight ones. You’d have to be blind not to notice. It took one episode for her to kiss her two male love interests; it took thirty for her to kiss Santana (eight episodes after they officially started dating), after the fans had to actually campaign for it. Brittany and Sam have already had more scenes than Brittany and Santana had during their entire relationship (which amounted to two conversations, one about bull testicles and one fifteen-second piece of fluff), apart from the conversation that led to them being broken up. Likewise, when Brittany dates a guy, both times it has led to them get a Christmas romantic plot; when Brittany dates Santana, they didn’t even speak two words to each other that episode. In fact, they got only one plot during their whole relationship, about a sex tape, whereas Brittany and Sam have already had three or four, depending on how you count. Then there’s the fact that Brittany gets a new straight love interest, but there’s no sign that Santana will get another girlfriend (the writers had to be bludgeoned into letting her interact with the last one, so I rather doubt it’ll ever happen).

• ducksticks says:

Oh, some of you really need to go check the first two posts in the glee-equality-project tumblr and realise what are we trying to make notice in glee right now. Please, go there and maybe you will get it. And spread it to anyone you think it may interest, too.

A-friggin-men!

2. Britta Unfiltered says:

Uff da, it is just a show, people. Cut Slezak a break. He is a funny writer. I can see you all feel insulted by him and the Glee writers. But it’s okay, because I am here to save your lives and tell you all…it is just a show!!! Put all that passion into doing something truly productive that really saves the world. Go find some volunteer opportunities in your communities to get involved in. I used to be one of you, ya know. I used to get all upset and angry when I saw Glee writing terrible storylines, and then I just woke up one day and realized it didn’t matter. Glee lost its power over my life. Don’t let it take over your lives either. I’m begging you! There are more important things going on in the world right now that are much more worthy of your energy and emotion than attacking nice entertainment writers and not very well-written, overly preachy shows.

• Sean C. says:

It’s not “just a show”. It’s a piece of pop culture viewed by millions of people, that claims to represent gays. All the while, its spreading offensive messages far and wide.

• Allyson says:

This is a fantastic show created by an openly gay man. I don’t think the show is out to attack Brittana fans out all. You can’t break the fourth wall and say Brittana fans will attack Sam if he and Brittney start to date. I do agree, that it was a little fast for them to develop feelings since I never saw any signs for them to date. I do see your point since Nolan on Revenge is now dating a woman after hooking up with a guy last year. I think this is a fantastic show. I just think people should stop hating. It sems like all couple fandoms get a little too passionate about their couples.

• Jane says:

Since when did Glee claim to represent gays? Glee has many gay characters, but it is far from a show that’s only “about” gay people. It’s about young people. Some of which happen to be gay.

• Sean C. says:

Um, since the beginning. “Glee” has been trumpeting what an inclusive, pro-gay show is for pretty much its entire run. Nowhere did I say that somehow meant it was only about gay people.

• Inigo says:

And it is an inclusive pro-gay show. That doesn’t mean it is obliged to “represent” gay characters in a particular way or that it’s ever claimed to “represent” gays, as you stated. That doesn’t mean that it has to give secondary gay characters the same development/screentime/storyline/kisses it gives its leads.

3. LilAngel says:

Can wa just get rid of McKinley and focus only on NYADA? Because Rachel is the core of the show. Lea Michele is just the best performer and she carries the whole show y herself. Oh yes, and a little Brochel won’t hurt either (Finchel is endgame so chilll out guys but Brochel is so hot)

4. Kelly says:

Lea Michele could sing the phonebook and I’m sure it would move me to tears. I legit stood up and clapped with everyone when she finished both songs. Also loved the confident Rachel Berry scene before she performed too! amazing.
    My favorite Kurt performance was As If We Never Said Goodbye from Born This Way (Season 2)…to me he hasn’t topped that, but Being Alive was a solid performance.
    Finally, Thank God for that Finchel phone call. it was perfect.

5. NoHeart says:

That line was so unnecessary and not funny. Generalizing an entire fandom as lesbians was not cool. Glee, not only lesbians can like and support a lesbian relationship. You of all people should know that and it is funny how majority of Klaine and Brittana fans are striaght.

6. Get It says:

I really don’t appreciate that the straight blond(e) couple has ALL OF A SUDDEN had more intimacy than the lesbian or interracial couple. People seem to forget Sam and Mercedes were a “thing” that was practically over before it even started. Now we have a proposal!? Crappy standards.

• MsQ says:

I couldn’t agree more!! CRAPPY STANDARDS!!! I can’t just PRETEND that Samcedes didn’t happen! Seriously, is Sam proposing to yet ANOTHER Cherrio?!? SMH!!!!

• E says:

Samcedes never even dated – how could they have any intimacy when Mercedes was dating Shane & refused (rightly) to cheat on him.

• Quinci says:

Actually if you go back and watch the Prom-A-Saurs episode, Sam mentions the fact that him & Mercedes had GOTTEN BACK together! Not to mention the Saturday Night Gleever episode, that’s when they get back together, when he shows her the video he posted of her on YouTube! So, YES, Samcedes did date!!!

• Inigo says:

Do you recall the line of dialogue in Prom-A-Saurus, because I certainly don’t? They danced at prom. Not sure that’s the same thing as getting back together.

• Vamessa says:

From Fox.com….Mercedes bio:

Mercedes and Sam made a connection and secretly started dating before senior year began, but when Sam and his family moved to another state, Mercedes took up with football player Shane Tinsley.

Meanwhile, Mercedes’ rivalry with Rachel continued. When both girls were asked to share the part of Maria in “West Side Story,” Mercedes quit, saying she was tired of playing second fiddle to Rachel. She then joined the rival McKinley glee club, the Troubletones.

Sam returned to McKinley High and vowed to win Mercedes back from Shane. He persuaded her to sing a duet with him, and they kissed when it was over. Although she confessed the kiss to Shane and broke up with him, she told Sam that she couldn’t date him either. She explained that she needed some time to be on her own.

Later in the year, Will grew concerned about Mercedes’ lack of ambition; she replied that she hoped to some day record a hit song. [B]Sam posted a video of her singing on YouTube, telling her that he was sure she was going to be a star. The two finally got back together and attended prom as a couple. The video Sam had posted caught the attention of some music industry power players, and just in time for graduation, the couple celebrated her signing a recording contract and the start of her career as a professional singer.[/b]

They got back together…and ended the season as a couple.

• Quinci says:

Actually I do remember the dialogue. If you need a refresher, season 4 episodes are on Hulu and Netflix! PAY ATTENTION to it, and don’t dismiss them, like I’m quite sure you did, especially since you don’t remember the conversation that they had during the Prom!

• Inigo says:

I paid attention, thanks. There was one exchange with five lines of dialogue the relevant part of which is Sam saying “Remember when I told you we were going to get back together and you told me I was crazy,” to which Mercedes replied, “That’s because you are.” In the episodes after Saturday Night Gleever to this and after this – I recall nothing that supports them being a couple. I did not take that dialogue as them being back together but going to prom together and remaining friends. As for the Fox.com recap, I can’t comment. I go by what’s on screen.

7. Santana and Brittany shared more intimacy than Kurt and Blaine, remember the episode where they won Nationals? The only couple that did not kiss were Kurt and Blaine. Meanwhile Santana and Brittany were always romantic, whether it was getting their sweet cuddles while watching Sweet Valley High, walking down the hall fingers intertwined or kissing in the hallway. I just don’t buy Sam all of a sudden chasing Brittany, feels more like he’s just going through the entire glee club and Brit was next on the list.

• Sean C. says:

Kurt and Blaine certainly got less affection, but they got roughly four times as much screentime in Season 3, multiple Very Special Episodes about their relationship, and they continue to interact now. And the show never insulted their fans openly while suggesting they need to be accepting of Kurt or Blaine dating a girl.

• Inigo says:

But Kurt and Blaine are gay. Brittany is bi-sexual meaning that she is attracted to persons of either gender. There is nothing to not accept about Brittany dating Sam. Furthermore, the claim that this furore is about something more or other than Brittany dating Sam would have far more credibility if Brittana fans hadn’t started freaking out weeks ago when all that was known from spoilers was that Brittany and Sam would date.

• Sean C. says:

Why would that be an issue, precisely? There have been grotesque double standards in how Brittany’s gay and straight relationships have been presented, and that was obvious from her first scene with Sam with romantic overtones back in 4.02 and 4.03. The double standard is something Brittany and Santana’s fans have had to face throughout the entire show, and Brittany/Sam is just the latest iteration of it.

• BonnieFan1986 says:

Sam and Mercedes did not kiss. It was as if they did NOT exist in that moment! Kurt and Blaine actually had more interaction than Samcedes did!

• Quinci says:

Sorry to inform you Bonnie, but Sam and Mercedes kissed TWICE, in the Michael Jackson episode when they sang Human Nature, and in the Saturday Night Gleever episode when he shows her the video he posted on YouTube of her. Sam chased her all season long when he came back in season 3! #ImJustSayin

8. Jessica says:

I cried, not because the episode was great but if there are any Aussies out there that remember Crowded House doing their fare well tour on the steps of the Opera House in Sydney and the final song was “Don’t dream it’s over” the song is pretty magical. In relation to Glee – I think it’s one of the “better” episodes this season, but still far from good in my books…

• Angela says:

Not from there, but I am a fan of that group and I’ve seen the DVD of that show. Truly stunning, indeed. It’s such a classic song.

9. Sara says:

This is getting heated. Can I ask an honest question? I’m a Brittana fan, but I think I’m missing something. I thought Brittany’s fourth-wall monologue was rather funny, but apparently many fans have taken offensive to it. I’m not too smart when it comes to social justice issues, but I’m trying to learn. Can someone explain to me what was offensive about what Brittany said in terms of gender and sexuality issues?

• ducksticks says:

Just go to the glee-equality-project tumblr and check the two first posts there. It really can help you, my friend.

• Sean C. says:

The show has systematically marginalized its gay female relationship (they spoke all of four times last season, never seriously, and never alone; and the writers had to be badgered into letting them even kiss once), while attacking the fans who criticized them for it. That’s the succinct version.

• Beanni77 says:

I think what upset people is that Glee has been a show that has allowed itself to become a forum for tackling hot topics such as bullying, cheating, teen pregnancy, domestic violence, and equality for the gay community. People have identified with so many of these story lines that it made Glee more than just a comedic show about singing, and the writers and creators and actors have all said they realize this and love hearing how much they help people by making these topics even more relevant to the people watching. However, the writers have more and more started alienating the people it claims to help, more specifically the LGBT community, by not giving equal representation to the gay couples. You can say that because it’s on FOX and it has so many younger viewers that they can’t depict the gay couples in the same fashion, but it still stands that the straight couples are frequently kissing, cuddling, being lovey, and sometimes being more risqué. The gay couples may link pinkies in the hall, kiss briefly once a season, or lie really close together on a bed for a millisecond. Now, Ryan Murphy frequently comes under attack on Twitter and such from some fans for this inequal portrayal, and he gets testy with them. This line about angry lesbians being mad that Brit would date a man and not Santana comes across as a dig at the people who were fans of that couple, not just the ones he fights with online, but ALL of them. He basically made it sound like all the people who like Brittana are angry lesbians who just want their favorite couple back together. However he actually meant it, it came across as very offensive to a lot of people, and makes it look like he has no respect for the fans who helped make his show the hit it became.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

When the comment is taken into context with the fact that Ryan Murphy and his cast and crew have received death threats and personal attacks on a constant basis by this “fanbase” (I say that in quotes because the word “fan” usually indicates a liking for the show in question), I’d say the snarky comment was a funny use of a little snark to tell said “fanbase” to grow up.

As a gay man, I found nothing offensive in what she said. I can see that there might have been a rush on Sam/Brittany’s relationship, and how shippers of Brittany and Santana might be unhappy… but there’s not enough time to get everything all the time. We still haven’t gotten anything about Shelby Corcoran’s disappearance — she just up and disappeared! Or any real closure (or storyline) about Lauren Zises, who also just disappeared.

They maneuver the characters into the storylines they want to show, and do it without regards for complete consistency. It’s nothing new.

People just need to unbunch their undies and watch for enjoyment.

10. Allyson says:

Here is a reminder of what Glee is all about incase you have forgotten. “A musical comedy about a group of ambitious and talented kids who escape the harsh realities of high school by joining a glee club where they find strength, acceptance and, ultimately, their voice” taken from the Glee offical fan page. Ryan Murphy and staff are doing a fantastic job!

• BonnieFan1986 says:

But it’s also a show about diversity and the underdog. It was supposed to be a social platform for equality. Just look at all the storylines they’ve been through in the past four seasons. If it was just a musical dramedy, then why try to tackle tough subjects as teen pregnancy, bullying, suicide, gay/lesbian, eating disorders, domestic violence…etc. Why not just sing musical numbers and tell crappy-borderline offensive jokes? When you go as far as telling those kinds of stories, then you set yourself up. And what RIB did was wrong! Yes, there are a LOT of passionate Brittana fans! They have a right to be upset. And so do Samcedians and Fabrevaners. In one entire episode, RM manage spit on each fandom I just mentioned and the entire Lesbian community. That joke was cruel and offensive. Along with the Mercedes/Wade comparisons. And the non-mention of what happened to Samcedes. Glee has completely lost a fan in me.

11. karenb says:

I love how the crazy fandom acts like, well, crazy fandoms. Give it a rest people, you’ve made your point. Over and over and over again. Chill already.

12. Jessica says:

Oh lawdy, I left a post before without really reading anyone else’s only to now be up-to-date. Am I the only one that wasn’t actually listening during that part of the episode because it was kinda boring, but I guess that’s actually saying it all, I’m watchin’ but I’m not really listenin’ – missing the old Glee for sure!

13. joncuriel says:

Ok, I really love Tina becuz she’s speaking her mind, it’s all Marley and Kitty’s fault… ugh, I hate all the new kids, coming and messing the dynamic the club had, it’s exhausting to see how they take the spotlight away from the ones that deserve to have it

14. Ann says:

Love the Rachel songs in this episode but I felt it needed more exposition to get to the Golden Envelope sequence. If felt like it should have been the climax ending to another storyline. Sure, she had professional jealousy and conflict with Cassandra, even over a guy. Now she’s got all she’s ever wanted. Accolades from her teachers and her peers, a hot new man and her BFF in classes with her. It’s only middle of the season. Now where does she go from here? Is there any more story to tell?

15. KJ says:

I feel Finn is having the best storylines in Season 4 of Glee. His fans or anti-fans may complain he’s getting nowhere fast and is always failing at everything he does, but his storyline slowly gaining momentum. It will be interesting to find out what’s in store for him next. And Cory is knocking it out of the park in terms of acting. He’s looking damm fine too, which is always a plus! :)

• Karen says:

Finn is my favorite part, i’ve kind of lost interest in the NY side of things and Rachel and Kurt keep getting ridiculous made up accolades and succeses without any real effort. don’t even get me started on Rachel not being Rachel anymore, like what is with that awful makeup. while I’m glad Kurt got in to NAYADA but really,they just aren’t underdogs at all. they are both living the life. I think that’s why I’m enjoying Finn’s story, and Cory acts the hell out of all of it. I don’t watch live anymore, so I can FF through most of it, but I always watch Finn’s story.

To comment on the “hot button topic” whatever the issue, I didn’t think it was cool for RIB to do that. just not cool .

16. Sarah says:

While I get there are Brittana fans not happy about the latest storyline at least this is actually on TV , maybe people don’t remember what happened in 1997 when the character Ellen came out, show was canx! TV is getting better in terms of showing all kinds of relationships but still a long way to go. I enjoy the show and will continue to watch & reckon its done more than most in at least showing same sex couples

17. Hannah says:

Loved Glee being meta with Brittany dating Sam. It was by far my favorite part of the episode even if I don’t love them as a couple. I also love that Finn scheduled a Glee rehearsal for 9:54pm and the clip of him in the auditorium for the rehearsal aired at 9:54pm.

I am glad I am not the only one a bit perplexed by the Jewish girl belting “O Holy Night.” I love that song and Lea did an amazing job on it, but it was distracting to have a Jewish character singing about the birth of Christ. I know, I know, Jews for Jesus. But it just seems that the Berry Household really only celebrates Christmas.

Also I think I am in the minority here, but I love Glee for Glee and not NYADA. I pretty much ignore the New York parts and follow the Lima, Ohio parts. I am so tired for Rachel and that blonde teacher having a sing off. I get it; Rachel’s amazing, she’s going to win everything, she’s going to be a starr, yada, yada, yada. Are we done yet?

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I agree — the only compelling parts of the NY storyline are Sarah Jessica Parker and Kate Hudson being perfect and talented. Well, and occasionally Whoopi Goldberg too.

18. Josh says:

Glee, has on average 5 million viewers who tune in every week, how many of those millions of people do you think know, what a “shipper” is, or what a “fandom” is? I’m guessing not that many. So when they hear Brittany talking about lesbians getting violent, i’m pretty sure they’re not taking it as a “Cheeky” Meta joke against the “Brittana fandom”, they’re hearing a perpetuation of the “angry lesbian” stereotype. Do the Glee writers not know this? Do they need to be reminded that not everyone who watches their show knows what’s going on online?

19. Boo says:

Its actually revolting and sick what Glee have just done – as a punishment for fans calling them out for their double standards..which is so blatantly obvious by the way it can be seen from space (lets face it its a fact that Brittany was mute whilst in a relationship with Santana and now shes with Sam she can speak, sing and is allowed to have story lines’) they have tried to influenced/manipulate the audience with a dangerous mindset (esp on young impressionable viewers) that lesbians are angry, bitter, hetero-phobic and that they hate straight couples so beware (and defend the oppressed straight couple) i’m shuttering at the though of the hate/bullying online young lesbians will get for this when they try to address Glee double standards from people who have believe what Glee has feed them . For a show that has been praised constantly in the media for its support of Gay right and anti bullying how can anyone not see that what they have written in this scene spreads both of these disgustingly. Its sick that in this day and age this is allowed to be shown on television, I hope the media calls them out on their BS..I will never watch this show again, or anything Fox related tbh for allowing this and this is not coming from a angry “Shipper” its coming from a Human Being with Morals …something the Glee writers are seriously lacking.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Or perhaps it was a jab at the large amount of immature and violent people in the fanbase who are constantly berating them and even sending death threats their way over TV CHARACTERS.

Hopefully all the immature haters WILL stop watching. Maybe then we’ll get less complaining on message boards just for the sake of feeling self-important or for complaining’s sake.

• Ruby says:

You need to step away from your computer because you seem to have forgotten what life is like outside of this fandom bubble. Also, if you’ve pinned all of your hopes and dreams for political correctness on television on Ryan Murphy, creator of the disgusting Nip/Tuck, you’re in for much more hurt than you’re experiencing right now.

20. Ally Oop says:

I wish we could’ve seen more of the Marley/Jake/Ryder love triangle. I was hoping some people would show more concern for her after she fainted. I had a moment near the end of the episode when FInn and Marley were sitting together on that bench where I wondered if maybe Marley and Finn would be right for each other…she has so much chemistry with anyone you put her with. I can’t decide whether I want her with Jake or Ryder but then when you throw Finn into the mix I think it would be perfect…plus it would create a predicament for Finn since he’s technically her advisor. I wonder what grade Marley is in. Grade 10 maybe?

21. beth says:

I have this weird feeling that Finn and Marley are gonna be developing a storyline soon. They’ve got weird chemistry. lol. just trying to break the ice i guess. but..

BOO GLEE.

• Jane says:

YOU THOUGHT THAT TOO? So I’m not crazy.

• Jessica says:

ugh if I see a Finn / Marley relationship brew, it just may tip me over the edge and make me start throwing rotten tomatos at my tv screen..

• Allyson says:

So is this the girl that Glee producers were alluding to. I had this werid vibe about Fin and Marley. Ok, can’t any of these characters develop romantic interests outside their musical theater world. It would be interesting to see one of the characters pair up with someone who is musically challenged.

• Jan says:

That’s the feeling a lot of people get when two attractive people are singing facing each other. lol I don’t know whether it will extend to an actual storyline on the show, though. Maybe a one-sided crush on Marley part. Could parallel what happened with Rachel and Will in one episode in Season 1!

• Angela says:

Okay, others saw that, too, then, it seems! I’m not alone, woo! Heh. They did seem to have a good rapport in their scenes together, yeah…
      Oh, dear. If that happens, I can’t even begin to imagine the eruption that will happen here. *Looks back warily towards her bunker*

22. Lou says:

Best episode of the season and one of the Top 3 Glee episodes ever.

23. Jane says:

This is definitely an unpopular opinion, but I kind of think Brittany/Sam is a better match than Brittany/Santana. I’ve always believed that Santana is too smart for Brittany and I think Heather and Chord have better chemistry overall (and no, that does not make me anti-lesbian relationships).

• E says:

I agree. Whether it’s writing or acting (does it even matter? no) Brittany seemed more believable and more happy when saying the line about Sam making her happy. I think Santana was a way more complicated person/personality than Brittany. As a viewer, I’m not exactly interested/vested in ANY of the relationships….the new love interests and crushes are more fun to watch regardless of who is involved. So perhaps the never ending talk of who is together or not and how much screen time their teenage “relationship” gets is just boring to me.

24. Sam says:

‘I was naive, insecure anf self centered’ – Marley
    Sounds exactly like Rachel when she joined glee club in season 1.

25. dcl says:

After seeing this episode I feel sorry for Chord Overstreet. So much hate is gonna be shipped towards him for portraying Sam. Poor fella

9th episode into the season and I still dont care about the new characters -_-
    Finn is still boring as hell and still so “me me me”. I loved the NY story line and hot damn can Lea Michele sing.

• E says:

It already has been, & some of it is really disgusting.

• Quinci says:

I feel sorry for Chord too, because of a role he plays, unfortunately he’s going to be subjected to so much hate, because the writer’s want to shake things up. I ship Samcedes and Brittana, but if Brittany and/or Sam don’t have a “signifcant other” I’m glad they chose each other! I still ship Bartie though, they were cute together! I just hope the hate stops and people just keep watching and see what the spring episodes hold for everyone! *shrugs*

26. maria says:

No one hates Sam or hates Britt for dating a guy, we are saddened by Glee’s double standards in terms of what they show when Britt is in a relationship with a girl compared to a guy, but thanks for missing the point..

27. Rab says:

Glee story telling does nothing for me. It is quite awful in fact. But tonight’s music was absolutely beautiful, outstanding, stellar. something that I DVR Glee for. IMO, tonight was worth it. I adore Rachel’s voice. Kurt sang a solo. I agree with the reviewer’s ratings of the songs. Awesome!

• Ruby says:

And this is exactly how you’re SUPPOSED to watch Glee. Anyone who watches for a validation of their life is always going to be disappointed.

28. Emily says:

absolutly fantastic vocals, like fantastic fantastic, loved all the new york stuff (and even though usually I hate when the show acts like rachel is the chosen one of music, but I liked the overall purpose it served, also I was so glad to get back to the only interesting part of the story, new york!!) however did it not bug anyone else that marely was suddenly cured of anerixia, like I can understand the furstration some of the members might have, but that was downright cruel to a girl who had a serious psychological condition, although I am so so glad, they didn’t turn the show into yet another PSA

29. Jack says:

I’d like to thank all of the “angry bloggers” for commenting here. I’d hate to think that Ryan Murphy was right about a reaction of fans…oh wait, he wasn’t.

30. ahmoondah says:

Ya’ll are gonna hate me.
    I prefer the new cast to the old ones..
    Rachel graduated HS.
    let the character move on or do a spinoff.
    I honestly dont care about her.

31. Boiler says:

Wow I must have been half asleep during the show based on these comments. I just enjoyed the whole show. The musical numbers tonight were outstanding and I thought the show was great. And remember it is a TV show!! You don’t have to watch but if you do enjoy

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Agreed — if you don’t like it, quit watching… and certainly quit coming onto message boards to complain about it! Immaturity at its finest.

32. Maria says:

from Gleeforum:

Think about it, people. hilarious?

33. Eric says:

This was a great episode, in what is turning out to be a phenomenal season. I was worried about how this was going to work, but the writers have done a great job and Lea Michelle can do no wrong. Chills. Every time.

34. la says:

Lesbian blogger issues aside, I’m more concerned about how they just swept Marley’s eating disorder under the rug. Girl passed out last week, very publicly – are none of these characters at all concerned? Her mother, teachers, guidance counselor all in the audience, her friends in glee club, even Santana her “mentor” — why did no one confront her? I know this is glee, so I’m prepared to deal with a magical recovery where bulimia is cured with a song lol, but they didn’t even do that.

• courtney says:

THANK YOU!! i was scrolling through the comments, and i couldn’t believe that the majority of them were about brittany and sam. it’s like, how are more people not upset about the poor girl who has an eating disorder, passes out, and instead of getting sympathy or concern, gets isolated because she, and only she, apparently, lost regionals for them? they never show her mother coming in, mr. schu and finn never really say anything to her, and even though santana, kitty, and her two love interests all seem to know/have a feeling something’s wrong with marley, NONE of them tell ANYONE? i’m just still so appalled by the writing of this storyline that it pretty much overshadowed any other feelings i had about this episode.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

THIS! Why are people in such a tizzy over Murphy’s jab back at those who have THREATENED HIS LIFE and attacking him and NOT upset over all the other stuff on the show?

It’s completely UNrealistic that Marley, having proven herself so socially aware and smart in episode one would be so gullible of Kitty’s plan. It makes absolutely no sense.

And then people find out about her disorder, and there’s NOTHING shown to DEAL with it and help her!

But no, let’s complain about Brittany and Sam kissing too fast again. Doing that in this venue will certainly change the past!

• Beanni77 says:

Sadly, it’s one of Glee’s biggest failures. They bring hot topics to light, to show the world that serious things are happening to kids in school these days, then don’t follow up with any resolution. Hopefully since the season still has a ways to go it will come up again and we’ll actually get to see her deal with this problem realistically. If you’re going to be a voice for a serious topic you have to use it responsibly, not hide behind the ‘it’s just a tv show’ argument when things get too intense. If they want to be a light hearted tv show, why bother bringing up this heavy stuff? They do it to reach out people as well as tell a story. So reach out, but don’t leave people hanging! This is a serious topic, very serious. And no one is doing anything!

• A says:

And again this is one reason why Glee fans are ruining the show. They are so impatient and they want everthing to be shown in one episode. If you read this weeks Ask Ausiello, they have no intention of letting the eating disorder storyline go. It’s gonna be continued. Geez people have some patience, theres only so much they can tell in 42 minutes.

35. Eric says:

Let’s all take a deep breath and remember that Glee is a TV show. That being said, I think people need to calm down. Brittana was great, but they broke up. Why shouldn’t Brittany be happy with someone else? Let’s also remember that Brittany has never been portrayed as completely straight, or completely gay. She is bisexual. So, why shouldn’t she date Sam? How is that disrespectful to the LGBT community. I am gay and I think there is open hostility towards bisexuals, this idea that they are greedy or confused. I have a few friends that identify as bi and they are none of those things. People who are offended about Brittany dating Sam or the meta comment that Brittany made, which was funny, need to think about how your comments may offend people who are bisexual.

• Ruby says:

This is a great comment. I just wanted to say that since nobody ever seems to want to comment back to people who actually think before they post instead of all the reactionary bull you see posted about this show.

36. Boiler says:

Another thought…lets get rid of XFactor, move one of the Fox comedies to Thursday and make Glee an hour and a half. that way we get to do both locations justice

37. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

As a Brittana fan (and a gay male in the Bible Belt and an extreme southern baptist family), I feel like the fandom needs to SHUT UP. The “attack” or “offensive remark” as you call it was warranted because AS A WHOLE, the fanbase HAS PROVEN to actually BE violent and crazy. Not “lesbians are crazy” and not “bad bad lesbians” but “bad people sending death threats over tv show characters.”

Stop acting immaturely, and you won’t get “mocked.” It was a funny line. It wasn’t meant to be offensive.

You’re watching a TV SHOW that is about the MUSIC and PERFORMANCE. The cheesy inconsistent filler stuff in between isn’t anything new — fans have been complaining about it for season after season. So realize that the filler is cheesy and inconsistent, enjoy the damn show, stop sending death threats and complaining nonstop, or MOVE ON AND WATCH SOMETHING ELSE. It’s time to act like mature viewers, rather than whiny children.

Brittany and Santana have had plenty of “time” on screen. And to be fair, gay relationships, especially on TV, might warrant longer build time. They’re not as accepted by viewers and take time to deal with that, and since this show is set in “reality” (as opposed to say, the future or an alien world), the characters have to deal with the realities that gays and lesbians deal with, also warranting time.

They’ve had lots of time together. Santana even sang her the lovely song “Songbird.” They’re minor characters that have been blessed with more screentime as the fanbase grew to love them, but they’re not in the “big three” and get less attention.

And to be COMPLETELY FAIR, most of the ridiculous stuff is caused by Brittany being a completely empty-headed hilariously cute buffoon. She’s comedic filler and dance star — for which she gets lots of moments.

I just don’t understand how the fanbase can get so upset at a little jab when they started it with death threats, constant complaints, and immature comments. It’s like when you hit someone and then go cry to mommy that they hit you back.

• ducksticks says:

Wow, you really need to go check the first two posts in the glee-equality-project tumblr and realise what are we trying to make notice in glee right now, my friend. Please, go there, educate yourself and maybe you will get it. And spread it to anyone you think it may interest, too.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

This show isn’t about our agenda. It’s about being a tv show.

You go “educate yourself.” Who the heck do you think you are telling me to educate myself? I’ve been through harder bull than this stupid “omg Brittana only kissed once AAAAAAH” stupidity.

I understand completely where you’re coming from, and I think you’re too pissed off about inconsistency in a show that has been proven inconsistent for season after season. IT’S A TV SHOW. Either enjoy the show, or stop watching and STOP COMPLAINING.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Besides, you want real change? Then maybe you should get the rest of the fanbase to stop acting like children and find a progressive way to make the change, rather than bitching on message boards, posting tumblr pics, or tweeting death threats to the actors, writers, and producers. Want maturity in the outcome? Then show a little in the process.

• ducksticks says:

It’s your opinion against mine. And it’s obvious you’re not gonna change it. I wanna make a real change? Yes. I’m trying to do it right now with glee. A show that guided a lot of people and even saved lives. Maybe you just watch it for fun and it’s okay. But for other people, misfits, black people, gay people, lesbian people, handicapped people, teen pregnants, dyslexics, people with eating disorders, etc. the fact of see themselves represented in a national TV show, meant a lot and everything in their lives. And it’s not ok that when a TV show treats them good, they crave for the media praising and pat themselves in the back; but when they offend them, they come up with the ‘it’s just a TV show’ line, just like you did.
          Like I said, I’m not trying to change your mind, it’s obvious you’re not gonna do it. I’m just trying to make notice to this show -that is bigger and more important than me- to go back to what it was in better days: a representative, inclusive, respectful and funny show. And that way, you and me will be happy to watch it again, don’t you think? Thanks for your time.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I’m a gay man, with a stutter. I LOVE being represented in such huge numbers on a TV show. In all actuality, I’m MORE offended by you starting that list of cultural/social groups with misfits. I’m gay, and in no way allow myself to be treated like or to feel like a misfit.

You didn’t hear an uproar of us stutterers attacking Tina for her fake stutter!

The realistic perspective is what I posted.

If you depend so much on this one TV, which as I’ve stated HUNDREDS of times on here, has been COMPLETELY INCONSISTENT IN EVERYTHING, to be consistent and realistic in this ONE thing, then you’re a FOOL.

Where is the outcry that the bulimia storyline is absolutely idiotic? Where is that outcry? The fact that Marley, who proved herself socially-aware and smart, is now all of a sudden falling prey to a VERY obvious and overt attempt to screw with her by a bully at school? And just believes it?

I’m not sure what “trying to make notice to this show” means, as that’s not the proper use of that word, but as I’ve also stated hundreds of times, you will NOT make change by complaining on these message boards (that the producers/writers do not read), making tumblrs, or sending death threats to the writers/producers/actors.

I value that you lay heavy expectations on this show. I love this show. I don’t always think it’s perfect, but it’s not supposed to be. It’s cheese. It’s filler. It’s inconsistent.

The show is still representative, inclusive, and funny show. It has NEVER been respectful (and if you think it has, then you’re clearly watching a different show than I — this show has mocked anyone and everyone and treats nothing with reverence).

Just because you’re not happy with how a storyline is presented doesn’t mean it’s not any of those things. You’re just being selfish.

You’re placing WAY too much importance on this in your life. Go make supportive friends, and get out there in the real world — that’s where you’re going to make changes that will improve your life.

Having one TV show do exactly what you want isn’t going to change anything. Half the country is still going to hate us, complain about us, vote against equality, etc. Having Brittana kiss more or complaining that Bram is moving too fast is ridiculous, when the show has proven ridiculous and poorly paced for multiple seasons — as evidenced by thousands of complaints about it on this very website.

I’m not saying that the point isn’t valid. Brittana didn’t get much. But in all fairness, most of the secondary characters DON’T get much. There’s only so much time in a show.

Like I said, time to grow up and put on our big girl britches, because when it comes down to it, praise or critique, it IS just a TV show. You can’t trivialize something that is already trivial. And the snarky remark was brought on by an immature group of people sending death threats and attacking — maybe it inadvertently lumped in everyone else into that group, but if so, then it’s time to stop taking it personally.

All the anger and hatred isn’t going to help the LGBT cause. It’s going to make us look MORE like a lot of folks think we are: that we whine and force our way into the national view to get our way.

/rant over.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Oh, and in regards to your last few lines: I AM happy to watch it, every week. The music is good, the silly stories are good, and the everyday nonchalant acceptance of gay people and people that are different (the way it SHOULD be in reality) is fantastic.

• Ruby says:

Ryan Murphy is not your puppet. You are bashing your head against a wall over and over expecting a different outcome each time. You are never going to get what you want out of Glee. Ever. EVER. Have you ever seen Ryan Murphy’s other shows? He makes his ENTIRE LIVING off of being politically incorrect and often downright offensive. He is the WRONG PERSON for you to try to mold into whatever you are looking for. So you should find a different outlet to pin your hopes and dreams on, or you’re just going to continue being miserable and wasting your time posting on message boards that have no actual outcome or effect on anyone or anything.

• Ruby says:

I want to marry you for this comment. Seriously. GREAT comment.

• Beanni77 says:

I have a feeling that most of the people who get this upset about a tv show like this are teens and pre-teens. They tend to take music, movies, and various art forms so seriously, they see it as a way to find someone out there who understands them and speaks for them while they are trying to learn to speak for themselves. I don’t necessarily agree, although I do remember being that age and feeling the same way. Growing up and finding your own voice takes years. Of course, there are plenty of adults who get so wrapped up in these fantasy worlds that they forget they are watching fiction. Those are the fans that worry me. Grown ups should know better. Anyone remember Misery?

38. tommy says:

You people just don’t get it
    I have no problem whatsoever with Bram, I think it’s normal for Brittany to have a new love interest, I don’t think that Sam being a boy reduces lesbian visibility because Santana is still in the storyline (and Brittana is clearly endgame).

I do however have a problem with the double standards on the show, and not only for Brittana, but for all the characters that aren’t straight and white (Samcedes? what is Samcedes?).

This said, Bram was kinda cute but the jab at the fandom was offensive and unnecessary and instead of keeping me calm about the fact that I was about to see Britt Britt kiss somebody that wasn’t Santana (in a kiss a lot less chaste than those shared between tha gay couples) it made me “angry” and sad because in an entire season we never got something like that, between two actresses that have so SO much more chemistry than any other couple, and I felt mocked by the show for feeling like that.
    Good job Glee

• E says:

The “so much more chemistry” part is pure opinion. I always felt like Santana and her over-confident (in some cases overbearing) personality was NOT a good match for Brittany. And that’s real the whole deal. There is no “group think” when you are talking about TV shows. It seems counter productive to take a show that has been so eye-opening and given so much with characters like Santana, Wade, Karofski, Blaine, Kurt and then put a microscope on one thing to judge it so harshly.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I concur wholeheartedly! Where is the outroar that other things haven’t been given ample screentime or fleshed out enough? There are SO many characters that there just isn’t time to do everything just how the fans want it.

I mean, we didn’t see MOST of Karofsky’s becoming okay with himself. We saw key moments. I would have loved to see more with that… but you don’t see me sending death threats or commenting on every message board thread (that no producer or writer will see or read) my extremely hateful negative comments about it!

I feel like people are putting way too much impetus on the show to provide some amazing gay storylines… when in actuality, the show is just trying to show acceptance in normal settings, and IS showing some great gay storylines. :P

• Ruby says:

TBH I never thought Brittany/Santana had any chemistry outside of friendship, and felt that the romance between them was forced to please the fans. *shrug*

• E says:

Seriously. This is all about the fans being told to stop hijacking the writer’s characters yet again. I’m glad Murphy finally decided to stop the pandering, It resulted in the train wreck that was season three with the non-stop Brittana have to kiss, bring back Karofsky, Finchel should get married, blah, blah, blah.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Well, the rest of those aside, I do think they should have shown more of Karofsky’s story. He was a very realistic take on the whole “coming out experience” for a huge portion of the fanbase, and I also believe that he was a much more intriguing than Kurt’s stereotyped situations.

But I do agree — Murphy will put out a much better show if he would stop paying attention to the ocmments and just push forward!

39. wiredream says:

Only in GLEEs fantasy world would that subpar, anti-climactic “Being Alive” Kurt Hummel performance get him into what is supposed to be an exclusive, Julliard-like school. And of course garner him an A+ from Slezak’s usual High School fangirl ramblings.

40. E says:

Wow, I guess I’m lucky to never having been exposed (until now) to the people that are watching Glee with timers and line counters. Is there a master list? Like how many lines Asians get, how many stories are focused on them as compared to white characters? Do we keep track of how many times Sue insults a specific group of people? What’s the count on screen time/story line between Kurt & Blaine and Tina & Mike?

With Santana, Karafoski, Kurt, Blaine, Unique I really struggle with the idea that Brittany and Santana must be held up as some sort of bell weather.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I agree. People aren’t watching the show and enjoying it. They’re picking through it with a fine-toothed comb and complaining non-stop.

• Sean C. says:

When the show is obviously discriminatory, assembling evidence the way to make that case.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

This show isn’t “obviously discriminatory.” It’s one of the most inclusive shows on television. It’s also mercilessly mocked every almost single type of person and belief system there is. It holds nothing reverent.

Seriously, dude, “assembling evidence?” What is this, CSI? Nobody’s been murdered, and your “list of evidence” isn’t going to change anything. It will, however, make you look like one of the crazed fans Murphy’s “offensive comment” was referring to.

41. Majo says:

If Sam had said to Brittany: I’m afraid to date you because all the black people in this nation love my relationship with Mercedes. Apparently they like it that a black girl is dating a white boy. So I don’t want to put you in danger because who knows what those black people might do to your pretty white face!!!Should that only be offensive to the black people in this nation who would actually do something to Brittany because of this or should ALL black people be offended by this…? Answer: every decent person in the world should and would be offended by it. And not a single person in this fandom would think that is funny, except for the racists.

• E says:

That can be said about TONS of what is said on most comedies. Replace what Sue says about certain people with another group of people and it’s different — because it IS.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Thank you, E, for your voice of reason. Glad I’m not the only one on here thinking people are getting their panties into a bunch.

42. Jordan says:

It’s painful watching Rachel have to interact with Finn. This is blunt, but she is too good for him. He is not right for her, and the writers need to have them both move on. It served its purpose the first three seasons, but Rachel is in such a different place that the character is being held back by this dark cloud hanging over her, which is that we all know they’re going to get back together – it’s inevitable.

Part of life is moving on and learning from your past relationships. Not even saying she has to be with Brody, but Rachel has the right to explore her options, and it would make the character even better. She can’t be constantly minimizing her successes so Finn doesn’t seem like such a failure.

43. Jordan says:

During Kurt’s entire performance, I was praying he didn’t get into NYADA. Not because I don’t want him to be successful, but I think his talents are more suited in the fashion world than singing. I understand the whole purpose of this show is to teach kids that anything is possible and that they should go for their dreams. But…not everyone can be famous singers and dancers. All of these characters are on paths of self-discovery, and I think a much better decision for the Kurt character would be for him to not go to NYADA and pursue fashion. Just because he was in a glee club in high school doesn’t mean he has to sing the rest of his life. It would always be a part of him, but I think in terms of character development and storylines for the show, Kurt needs to go to school for fashion and not play second fiddle to Rachel at NYADA. Let her have her thing and he have his.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Maybe they’ll have a storyline where he realizes this. I really like Sarah Jessica Parker’s Isabelle. Hoping to see more of her.

44. Chloe says:

The meta in this episode was absolutely vile. Why do shows feel the need to mock their own viewers for caring about the show? Isn’t that kind of the point? Doing it with bad stereotypes was particularly terrible. I feel bad for having enjoyed the NYC side of it when the McKinley side was so gross and offensive. I just can’t help but love hearing Rachel and Kurt sing. There hasn’t been NEARLY enough of them this season. Brittany has sung more than Rachel, which is just a crime against my ears. Why is this show even still in high school? Almost everybody who matters graduated (or should have).

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

It had nothing to do with stereotypes and more to do with the actual people that have been insulting, threatening, and attacking Murphy and the actors and the producers.

• Brittany says:

Even if that were true, it did not address those people specifically. The comment addressed the entire ‘lesbian blogging community’ and was both unprofessional and childishly vindictive. Let’s not even mention how offensive it was to Brittana shippers, lesbian, straight or otherwise.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Or maybe, you’re taking it as a personal attack, when it wasn’t one, and need to get your underwear unbunched.

If you took it offensively, then you clearly are reading intentions into his comment — which is awfully judgmental on your part.

Be careful, your hypocrisy is showing!

I am a “Brittana” shipper, as evidenced by countless other comments. I understood where his comment was coming from and to whom it was aimed. It wasn’t “offensive.” It was snark. The offensive side was the immature behavior that led to the comment, followed by the ignorant and immature responses that came after it.

You can’t throw a rock at the beehive, expect not to get stung, and then blame the damn bees.

• Lily_Girl says:

What’s interesting is that those who say things via “twitter” and “tumble”, etc. – no one really cares who has power over the show, characters and stories. Ryan Murphy said himself that the more ‘hate’ he gets over a particular couple, he will work to drive them apart rather than together. Case in point…Britt & Santana.

As much as a love me some Klaine…..at the end of the day, it’s a TV show!!!!!

45. SCN - Once watched Glee for Finn's story, know better now... says:

The title of this review certainly captures well the juxtaposition between Finn and Rachel in the last episode. While Rachel goes from strength to strength, reaching the height of her accomplishment up to now, Finn cannot even hold together a high school glee club. Whatever Finn represented in the past, he now embodies on Glee the height of absolute failure, the true Lima Loser. Those remaining Finn fans who seriously think he’s going to ‘find his dream’ this season or whatever smoke the so-called writers are blowing need to wake up.

46. notelling says:

I really hope that they don’t do a Marley/Finn thing. Firstly it’s so soapy and predictable, next there is no chemistry there(I don’t get Marley at all-although she does have a beautiful smile!) and the most charming part of the final scene was the fact that they DIDN’T go there and used restraint with the direction so it didn’t feel sexual. Remember when Rachel crushed on Mr. Schue-it was quite hilarious and deftly handled and SO much more interesting than going the daytime drama route(“I’m hot for teacher”). This was GLEE as I love it, lots of Rachel and Kurt, the kids being underdogs again and tons of excellent musical numbers. I actually also thought it was a lovely choice that Rachel kissed Brody and then circled back to Finn…

47. Perhaps we need to start an inter-shipper/writer/director paintball league?

48. for me, the only thing that could have made the episode better was a shot of Cassandra in the audience while Rachel was singing. swallowing bile makes SUCH a pretty picture!

49. Jen says:

Fantastic episode! Pretty much the best set of songs ever and all sang beautifully especially Lea Michele blowing everyone out of the water with her two songs and Chris Colfer proving Kurt belonged in NYADA with his great emotional singing on Being Alive. I really loved the last group song too and got teary when everyone showed up outside in the snow. I like Brittany and Santana but also think Brittany and Sam are cute. Loving this season!

50. Brittany says:

Brittany’s meta comment was entirely unprofessional. It was both condescending and implied a level of heterophobia that misses the entire point of /most/ of the fandom’s rage. There is only a small percentage of that particular group that are pissed about Brittany being with Sam, for the most part people are furious about double standards and equality. I urge viewers to indulge in a moment of fantasy and pretend that comment had been made from Sam’s perspective about the ‘black samcedes’ shipping community. Would you still find it cheeky good writing? Somehow I don’t think that would be the case.