Exclusive

Exclusive: Joshua Jackson, Anna Torv Likely to Skip 2013 Pilot Season After Fringe Wraps

Joshua Jackson, Anna TorvIf you were counting on seeing Joshua Jackson or Anna Torv jump right into another TV role after Fringe wraps its series finale, you might want to take residence in the alt universe. Because both actors tell TVLine they likely will sit out the coming pilot season.

RELATED | Fringe Team Shares Scoop on Bald Peter, Olivia’s MIA Ring, Astrid’s ‘Moment’ and More

“I’ll probably skip this pilot season, for a variety of reasons,” Jackson shared with us at Fringe‘s 100th episode party held Dec. 1 in Vancouver, just days before filming began on the Warner Bros. TV drama’s final hour (airing Jan. 18 on Fox).

Among the TV vet’s considerations: “With the intensity of 22-episode television, I don’t know how healthy it is to try to jump from show to show,” he noted. “And I had the benefit, because of my first show (Dawson’s Creek), to be able to wait out on something really good like [Fringe], and they don’t come around every year just because you’re unemployed. So the next time around, I’ll be waiting for something as good as this.”

In the meantime, he said, “Lots of sleep!” is on his itinerary.

RELATED | 20 Actors TVLine Readers Want Back on TV Immediately

RELATED | 20 Actresses TVLine Readers Want Back on TV Right Now

Torv, meanwhile, told TVLine that since pilots for the 2013-14 TV season start casting “pretty soon” (aka early January) — after five intense Fringe seasons — “I really want to take a deep breath.”

A relative newcomer to U.S. audiences when she first inhabited the role of Olivia Dunham in 2008, the Aussie actress explained that “after any little jump that you do, you go through a period where you have to let go of your character. You sort of think about them and miss them, and then you put them to bed and you grieve them, and then that’s it. I’ve never played anybody for five years, so it’s going to take a bit of time for me to get her all out [of my system].”

Forgoing pilot season “is my immediate plan,” she added. “And then… I don’t know!”

Want more scoop on Fringe, or any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Anonymous says:

It’s understandable that they would want to take a break after being on the show for 5 seasons, but I hope the break isn’t too long!

2. f says:

Will forever miss Olivia ;_________; but I cannot wait to see Anna again on my tv/movie screen <3

3. JAA says:

I’ll miss them but they’re right, I hope they take a long vacation and have some rest and when they think it’s time to come back they find something worth doing, meanwhile I’ll be here waiting for them.

4. fwinge says:

*cue Fringe fans crying everywhere*

But seriously, they do deserve a break and I will also need some time after the show ends to mentally prepare myself to accept them in new roles. Whenever that happens. Otherwise I will still just be seeing them as Olivia and Peter.

• Lilys87 says:

Yes, we need time to grieve as well…

• Chey says:

Well not crying yet, but its true that if they go into new roles right away its going to be hard not to see them as Olivia and Peter. We need time to realize that it was two outstanding actors and that the characters they represented the last five years are have had their story told and the actor’s new rolls will be different but still potentially just as great or even better.

5. Christa says:

I will miss them, but I can understand that they want to take a break. 5 years is long time and you just don’t want to jump in something new right away. Let’s hope they will be there again in 2014 and do some guest appearances in other shows in the meantime :-)

6. AlyssaChey says:

I think they are both smart for deciding to take a break and wait for a great story line/plot to come around instead of just jumping into a new project. They don’t want to be too choosy but it would go against them if they keep jumping into mediocre tv/movies as it could come back and reflect badly on their acting, even if their acting was outstanding.

7. Ellen says:

Completely understandable, and smart for both of them. Hope to see them in guest roles on other TV shows, though.

8. Shaun says:

I want her on SHIELD as Mockingbird.They should just guest star on some shows.

9. pik says:

Aw! I wanted Josh back on my TV as soon as possible, but I understand his need for a well deserved break. I hope he makes some guest star appearances every now and then, before he’s ready to commit to another show full time. In the meantime, I hope he and the rest of the cast enjoy their free time, after filming wraps up.

10. coil says:

I wish them both the best. :)

11. Lauren says:

Smart! Love them.

12. Ralphy says:

take a nice rest… but be open for guests on other shows.. would it be so cool to see ‘em together a few times on our fav shows!! Anna… please don’t go… lol..

13. pik says:

I hope Jasika Nicole doesn’t skip the pilot season. She also deserves a break, of course, but I’ve always thought she’s been underutilized in Fringe and I’d love to see her back soon with a more challenging role.

14. Joe says:

They’re obviously going to be secretly filming Fringe: The Movie. :D

15. Emy says:

Matt, you ask all the good questions. Their answers were expected and understandable, but thank you for asking!

16. Julie says:

They’ll be truly missed, for sure. However, I find their choice a smart one. They both deserve some rest after such a wonderful ride. Anna (who wasn’t used both to the American television and a five-year run) in particular, whose brain I imagine is by now fried thanks to this show.

If I were egoistic, I would want to see both of them in pilot asap. However I’m not egoistic and I know that they’ve worked really hard for five years (as the rest of that wonderful cast), so they deserve all the rest they want….for now :P

17. omabin says:

totally deserved, but thy will be sorely missed, especially anna torv. I adore that woman

18. James says:

not surprising at all especially with the many faces these actors had to put on for this show. but I’m not worried they will be back, any casting director worth a damn will give them, especially Anna Torv any role they want. it’s a bloody crime that she never one an emmy same goes for John Noble, nothing against Joshua Jackson (Mighty Ducks Forever) he was awesome as peter, but John and Anna totally made Fringe what it was. Wish them all the best.

• Pansybucket says:

Oh nothing against Joshua Jackson huh? John and Anna made fringe what it is? So josh wasn’t a good actor and wasnt worthy? I suppose the writers should have given josh 5 versions of his character cause he would be worthy for fringe right?

• Aimee says:

Sorry, but Peter really made Fringe something special to me, so you do not speak for everyone.

• Sam says:

I agree, Peter is the one that made Fringe special to me. I don’t like to speak for others and I wish some fans didn’t feel the need to make their personal opinions the norm. I don’t know why James here felt like making snide remarks in disguise against one of the actors.

19. Kelly says:

While maybe he can guest on some shows, would love to see Josh on my fav shows Psych and Once Upon a Time and think he’d be funny fighting James on Don’t trust the b

20. Fabi says:

I fell in love with this woman so much that I don’t want her to stay away from me

21. Pansybucket says:

One thing for sure, josh better not ever go for a role where he is supporting. Supporting actors get the least amount of respect. I want him to go for that flashy role where he shows his chops and do amazing things instead of reacting to everyone else. I mean if John and Anna make Fringe what it is and josh isn’t as valuable as they are, then josh shouldnt go for roles like that. Josh deserves better.

22. justin says:

Anna should be cast as Ms Marvel in Avengers 2!

23. Sandy says:

Please don’t leave us for long Anna. I’m going to miss her so much

24. Z says:

I am going to miss Anna Torv the most. Then John Noble and Josh Jackson. I really hope they show up again some time after. I also need some time to grieve and let go of these characters, although it will be difficult to separate the actor from the role. It felt odd at first when I started watching Gillian Anderson in other roles years after Scully, but she went in a very different direction anyway in British TV so that helped. Same with David Duchovny’s Californication.

25. Ally Oop says:

I still remember Anna Torv from her memorable two-episode guest role as Jasmine McLeod on the Aussie drama McLeod’s Daughters (my all-time favourite TV drama) and back then I knew she was a good actress. I have also been a longtime fan of Josh Jackson (Dawson’s Creek was another favourite show of mine but I also fell in love with him back in the day on Mighty Ducks). When I found out Anna Torv and Josh Jackson were co-starring in a J.J. Abrahams drama (J.J. also happens to be the creator of another alltime favourite show of mine called Alias) I knew the show would be golden. John Noble was also a gem on Fringe. Thanks for five great seasons. I shall miss it and I hope to see it one day on Netflix because I missed the second and third seasons while wasting away as a master’s degree student with no cable subscription in Winnipeg. Fare thee well.

• Steve says:

I have seasons one to four on blu ray DVD. Season 5 is due out in May 2013. They’re also out on regular DVD. It’s so much better because there’s no tv commercials, and watching is even more plesurable!
      Also ITunes has all 5 seasons out for around $50 (US)
      Tired or not I hope a movie is in the future. If 24 & Star Treck (over did it) I hope it’s not unreasonable to expect

26. Mikael says:

I LOVE Anna Torv. I hope she returns to us soon.

27. Jim says:

Mmmmmmmm. Might these two great leads boost earnings by playing it cool? Smart positioning? We’ll see…

28. Bronwyn says:

“With the intensity of 22-episode television …”?! Alfred Hitchcock Presents first season was 39 episodes! Sorry, Joshua, you lost me here. Oh! For the good old days!

29. Collins says:

I agree with the comment above….FRINGE MOVIE!

30. Tommy says:

I understand a break, but right now they are hot commodities and could probably write their own ticket. Maybe in a year, not so much. Actors popularity fades fast so they don’t need to take too long of a break.

31. Bill from St. Louis says:

Fringe Movie please! Everyone keep writing that. Put it on every website
    on the internet. Stick your head out the window and yell, “Fringe Movie Please!”

32. I think when most of the people here says they’re missing Anna the most (over Josh) it’s because he is an actor that get attention from papps, so we can see him from time to times with his girl on magazines or websites. But Anna, she’s not a papps target, so we’re not seing her until she’s doing something on tv/movie.

33. Марина says:

Fringe the best!!! Я скучаю без них. Лучше этого фильма быть не может.Вы все правильно сделали! Команда Fringe ЛУЧШИЕ НАВСЕГДА! Оливия, Питер, спасибо Вам! Вы-ЛЕГЕНДА!