Scandal Preview: New Blasts from the Past Raise the Heat, Connect Dots and Bring 'Painful' Clarity

TONY GOLDWYN, KERRY WASHINGTONWho. Shot. Fitz?

Viewers of ABC’s Scandal will get that answer and a whole lot more information that perhaps ever anticipated this Thursday at 10/9c, as the fast-paced sophomore drama toggles back and forth between Mr. President’s present-day life-and-death drama and his Inauguration Day, which you will learn was chock-a-block with dramas of its very own.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has More Scoop on Scandal‘s Revealing New Flashback Episode

Let’s start with a peek at the here and now. “Mellie is horrified” by Fitz’s shooting, Bellamy Young told TVLine at The Hollywood Foreign Press Association’s kick-off party for Golden Globes season. “Here they are, going to this huge birthday gala [for Fitz], and there’s a sniper. It’s absolutely terrible.”

The episode’s opening minutes, which effectively capture the sort of dizzying panic that would erupt in the wake of an assassination attempt, soon segue into a flashback to the day Fitz (Tony Goldwyn) would first be called “Mr. President” — an honor that falls on, no surprise, Olivia (Kerry Washington), as she gifts the Canoodler-in-Chief with a 48-star flag pin previously worn by Eisenhower (as seen in this first clip).

Loading video...

Fans of the “POPUS” pairing, as illicit as it is, will also be treated during the flashback segments to a private dance as well as one (ahem) very private dance (…or two), sometimes in inappropriate places and, to be honest, steamier than ever before.

Elsewhere in the flashbacks, the narrative will connect dots that, frankly, you probably never imagined had anything to do with each other. (One involves a deal struck with Kate Burton’s VP Langston that threatens to explode a member of the “Quinntet,” while a second spells out exactly what led to the Cytron bombing.) You’ll also learn why Olivia quit her gig fixing things at 1600 Penn, in the wake of a breakdown scene that, in an ideal world, nets Kerry Washington an Emmy nomination come July.

As Young told us, “You will find out more backstory which will make everything that is happening [in the present] resonate more” — and perhaps even be, she says, “painful.”

In the present, Fitz’s life hangs in the balance, paving the way for the ever-ambitious Langston to make an audacious move (starting with what she does in this second clip). And yes, by hour’s end, you will see who was responsible for sending bullets flying at the leader of the free world.

Loading video...

Will this grim crisis involving the man they both love unite Mellie and Liv… or somehow drive them further apart? “In surprising ways it both divides and unites them,” says Young. “[Series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] wrote the episode, and it is unbelievably well-observed.”

Want more scoop on Scandal, or on any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nick says:

I cannot wait, Scandal has been fantastic this season!

2. CarolH says:

Love, love, love this show!!

3. Janet Marie says:

I had never liked Kerry before, not one thing I liked her in, but DAMN if I don’t adore her now! I love this show more than any other Shondra show – and I was an early lover of Greys and won a ton of money on bets that it would get a full season order for the next year. This show rocks!

• Karen Elizabeth says:

Actually mine was Tony Goldwyn because of his evil character in “Ghost” but now I adore him. His like fine wine, his aged well :) I can’t get enough of this show, Fitz & Liv are the draw card, a week is like forever…

4. Thomas says:

This flashback episode will be very much like West Wing season 2 ep 1 and 2 when Josh was shot, i suppose.

5. OWWWW, Sally did it, Sally call the shot on Fitz…

6. Scandalfan says:

I wish you could watch these videos on an iPad!

7. mooks311 says:

kinda like the season 2 premiere of the west wing which started with the immediate chaotic aftermath of a presidential assassination attempt, then switched back and forth between the present and flashbacks to the bartlet presidential campaign?

i love this show, but c’mon shonda.

8. Sally is still her presumptuous self. I wonder if she and Hollis are together in this assassination attempt.

9. silkrose says:

Oh its gotta be Hollis. His last comment to Cyrus foreshadowed it!

10. April says:

I’m not watching the vids because I don’t want to spoil myself. But thanks for this Matt!

11. omabin says:

I am not watching the video cause I want to stay spoiler-free as much as possible, but thanks Matt! I absolutely adore Scandal, it has to be one of my favorite series on the air, it is amazing each and every episode, and this one has me on the edge of my seat even before airing. Can’t wait for it!

12. Madame Y says:

I agree, this smacks of Sally; although I was hoping the First Lady orchestrated the hit (can’t STAND HER). I love love love all of Mrs. Rhimes shows PP, Greys, and now Scandal! I need this back story on Cytron ASAP it’s driving me nuts. Anyone else want to smack David for crossing Cyrus? I know, this is his job, but is it worth ending your husbands career and possibly getting yourself killed?

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Granted, he doesn’t know it might get him killed…

• cc says:

I thought the same thing about the First Lady! I was like, “she did it!” But maybe she changed her mind and that’s why she was pleading with him to skip it at the end of the episode.

13. Latoya Newell says:

What will unite and divide Mellie and Olivia will possibly be a baby if Olivia had gotten pregnant. Now thats what I believe!

14. EveatEden says:

Livies hair in that first one is soooo bad LOL. Can’t wait for this ep though!

15. T Samuels says:

Love the show, but I’m confused. The president has been wearing that same pin (at least I believe it’s the same) since the season 1 flashback (before he became president). I hope they explain the difference between the two.