Ratings: ABC Comedies Rise, Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Is Tops on Soft Tuesday

CASEY WILSONABC’s Happy Endings and Apartment 23 had something to smile about this Tuesday, as two of the only shows to rise versus their previous outings.

Happy Endings — with 3.5 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating — gained two tenths in the demo, equaling its best number since the season premiere Similarly, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 (3 mil/1.2) scored its best rating since opening Season 2.

RELATED | The Voice Top 6 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut?

The night’s big winners, though, were CBS’ presentation of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show (9.3 mil/3.5) — which despite shedding 24 percent of its demo rating versus last year topped the night in that measure — and NBC’s The Voice (11.3 mil/3.4), which commanded Tuesday’s largest total audience.

Elsewhere….

8 pm | Trailing The Voice, Rudolph led CBS to 10.1 million total viewers and a 2.9 rating, down more than 20 percent year-over-year. A special installment of ABC’s Shark Tank (6.9 mil/1.7) drew its second-largest audience ever. Raising Hope (3.7 mil/1.4) and Ben and Kate (2.7 mil/1.1) both dropped 20 percent. Hart of Dixie, pending adjustment due to NFL preemptions, ostensibly rose to 1.7 mil/0.6.

RELATED | NCIS Exclusive: What Is Going on In This Photo?!

9 pm | An NCIS repeat led the hour in total audience (with 11.1 million viewers), while NBC’s Go On drew the best demo (steady at 2.5) and rose 14 percent in audience (to 6.9 mil). NBC’s The New Normal (4.6 mil/1.7) also was up in viewers while flat in the demo. Fox’s New Girl (4.1 mil/2.0) and Mindy Project (2.63 mil/1.3) both dropped 13 percent in the demo. The CW’s Emily Owens (pending NFL adjustments) rose to 1.6 mil/0.4.

10 pm | Trailing the VS strut-fest, Parenthood (4.9 mil/1.7) gained viewers but slipped a tenth in the demo. Private Practice‘s intense Cooper-centric hour drew 4.4 mil and a 1.2, down a tenth.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Boss Talks Finale Shockers, [Spoilers'] Fates — Plus: Season 6 Scoop!

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. Amy says:

I am enjoying Emily Owens while it is still on.

• cuius says:

Perhaps they should announce the cancellation of more shows – seems to have a positve affect on ratings!

• Anne says:

It’s crazy. Ratings went up and will probably go up again as the show is obviously getting better and better and yet the CW prematurely pulled the plug. Sucks for us fans and those working hard on the show.

2. sarah says:

Glad Parenthood gained viewers and happy that HOD did well!

3. MM says:

A silly headline. ABC can’t possibly be happy with those ratings for their comedies.

That’s like saying the meteor crashed into your house and killed your dog but not your cat.

4. Boiler says:

Another reason we get crap on TV…Victoria’s Secret?? Really people???

• tp72 says:

What’s wrong with watching a special? The costumes were pure fantasy and very cute. It’s no different than watching an awards show. Ehh to each their own.

• Melosm says:

I wonder who the target audience for something like Victoria secret fashion show…men, women? Just seem like a bizarre event to me.

5. Ella says:

Hart of Dixie was cute last night. It’s a great, feel good show.

6. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Tuesday 9pm & 9:30pm – most interesting competition in primetime: NBC/ABC/FOX comedies.

At NBC – Go On continues to impress me – any episode with Janie/Christine Woods is now must-see. Marlo Thomas’ cameo appearance on New Normal a nice holiday touch.

At FOX – I was surprised to see ratings drop – the New Girl show last night was pretty good – guest arcs by Carla G and Oliva M — can’t beat that combo. I liked the Mindy Project episode, but as I watched I kept thinking, how are they going to write-out some of these characters over the next few weeks?

But the big news was at ABC – numbers up and Happy Endings had a pretty good episode. Maybe ABC will find that perhaps DWTS is not the right lead-in for HEndings – DWTS audience may not be a good match for the HEndings audience.

But the best news was Apt 23 – wow, a great episode last night. They are finally getting back to some more focus on June/Dreama Walker, with just the right amount of Chloe/Krysten Ritter and James V Beek interaction. I’ve often said that the best character relationship on TV is the one [Go On] between Ryan/Matthew Perry and his deceased wife Janie/Christine Woods. Now, the funniest one may well be between James V Beek and June’s mother. Their video-chatting in last night’s episode was very cool, very funny and very sick. To the folk at Apt 23 – you are back on track – keep it up.

• Jace says:

I think last night’s Don’t Trust the B was a holdover from last season. Liza Lapira’s character has been MIA this season but was listed as a regular last night. I’m pretty sure she’s not on the show anymore.

7. LALA says:

I watched Hart of Dixie (poor Wade), Go On (happy MP finally seems to have a fun show that will stick), and New Normal.

8. GaryP says:

Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer – I’m surprised the demo rating was that high! But I would love to know what the demo rating was for the over 50 demo. I (over 50) and a few friends watched it with fond memories because we hadn’t seen it in a few years. 18 to 30 demo couldn’t have cared less, unless they had children to watch it with. This is one of the reasons I kinda like the Christmas season – all the old shows from when I was a kid!

9. Ana says:

For Christmas I want Fox to move Glee back to Tuesdays and ABC to get a new programming director. How they ever agreed to produce something like The B. in Apt. 23 is beyond me. The show is just not funny but worst of all, the characters are so unlikeable that you can’t even root for them. Seinfeld was about nothing, but the cast was gold and the writing was genius. The B. is about nothing in the most annoying way. Happy Endings is not very funny either. And it’s over the top humor is delivered in such a cartoonish way that you just can’t take the show seriously. But the cast is just, yummy. I loved Damon’s schtick last night about being a trophy wife. He’s hilarious. I keep rooting for this show because I love the characters, especially Brad and Jane who make a phenomenal couple. They play incredibly well off of each other. Love Penny. She’s just adorable, funny and doesn’t take herself too seriously. But mostly, she is actually funny. And Alex, she’s not too bright but her dead pan comedy just makes me giggle. Of course, there’s Max and his sarcasm/vulnerabilities and Dave is just hot to watch. Love this show and I hope ABC takes it seriously enough to invest in new writers. And really, what is up with the title of ABC shows? They are the worst!

• Jperugia315 says:

Why don’t you tell us how u really feel, I personally think both shows are fine the way they are , however they should invest in new programming people instead of writers

• Boiler says:

Nothing against the ABC shows you mentioned but I do think they need a new programming director also. Some of the new shows they talk about seem worse than those cancelled this year and last

10. Jared says:

I’m really loving Hart of Dixie. I’m happy I caught up with it over the Summer because there really isn’t any other show like this on TV. hopefully the ratings won’t go down too much because of preemptions.

11. ollie says:

stinks raising hope wasnt higher. i loved the surprise cameo from an soa member had me laughing so hard when i saw who it was. wonder how they got kurt to sign off on it and wonder if he will use anybody from hope on his show next season since he likes out of the box casting.

12. Babybop says:

Wish Raising Hope had more viewers. I laugh out loud at every episode!

13. Britta Unfiltered says:

I don’t think I realized before that CBS was showing both Rudolph and the VS fashion show on the same night. That is…odd. Please tell me they were not advertising a lingerie fashion show during the Rudolph commercials. That would not be cool for kids to see. I was going to watch Rudolph but then got off work later than I expected to, so I only got to see Don’t Trust the B and SOA before bed. Don’t Trust the B was funny. Anytime you’ve added Thomas Lennon into the mix you’ve won me over. SOA was good, but I really wish I could have gotten that dogfight scene out of my head before I went to bed. That kind of thing is too disturbing for me to see.

14. Trace says:

Ben and Kate is the funniest show that no one is watching. It gets better each week and the characters are great together.

15. Jake says:

Abc shoul move these comedies to the wed 10p hour

16. Mikael says:

I like how Happy Endings included a clip of the kickball episode, which hasn’t aired in the US yet. I still don’t get why ABC didn’t just air it with Season 2.