NCIS Exclusive: What Is Going on In This Photo?

Get More: Exclusive, First Look

NCIS‘ Leroy Jethro Gibbs (played by Mark Harmon) has seen a lot in his storied life — but what he’s about to lay his eyes on in next Tuesday’s episode of TV’s most watched drama is sure to be a first.

RELATED | NCIS‘ Coté de Pablo on ‘The Year of Tiva’ and An ‘Interesting’ Ziva Twist

In the episode “Devil’s Trifecta” — which is a follow-up of sorts to last year’s “Devil’s Triangle” — this happens:

Devil's Trifecta
RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has Scoop on NCIS‘ Abby and Much More!

For the precious few uninitiated of you out there, that is Gibbs’ ex-wife, Diane Sterling (played by returning guest star Melinda McGraw), getting spooned by Sean Murray‘s McGee. We can’t quite make out Gibbs’ expression from this angle, but dollars to donuts it is one-half bemusement, one-half “WTF?”

You’ll have to tune into CBS next Tuesday at 8/7c to find out exactly what transpired here. But suffice to say, as shared in the official synopsis for the episode, “Rumors run wild among the group after Diane stays overnight at McGee’s.” Yeah, I’d say so!

Comments (80)

• Dead Mcgee walking!

Comment by Jonathan Carpenter – December 5, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ROFL That’s exactly what I said when I saw it – He is soooooo DEAD!! ha ha :P

Comment by Nat – December 5, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think McGee is going to get a bit more than just a slap to the head for this move. lol

Comment by Bill Carrabine – December 5, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was hilarious!! The Look on Gibbs face was like a classic I must say on that scene when he walked in on Mcgee! :)

Comment by Inger Hanscom (@Imburke7) – December 16, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately I missed the episode – however LJ Gibbs will deal with this occurence as with all others. Professionalism, slap to back of McGee’s head and look of disdain for his ex. My philosophy w/characters – if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Don’t jump the shark. Keep it status quo.

Comment by Isabelle Frankenfield – December 17, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nah, if anything, Gibbs will bust McGee’s chops but he’ll be cracking up at this one….

Comment by sladewilson – December 5, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you..

Comment by MoonAngelwings – December 10, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mcgoo

Comment by Kir – December 5, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone recognize the area on the map?

Comment by Templar – December 5, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Italy!

Comment by Gaara – December 5, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think It could be northern Italy.

Comment by NCISadict – December 5, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually we can see almost all of Italy way down under Napoli (Naples) and almost half the island of Sardegna (Sardinia). I could say that we don’t see only 3 on 20 of our regions (the administrative divisions of the state).
        Bye bye,toti

Comment by toti – December 5, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant wait to see what Tony and Ziva’s reaction!

Comment by Jonathan Carpenter – December 5, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t wait to see Tony and Ziva in a similar situation!!

Comment by Maria – December 5, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too,hope it happens soon,we’ve waited too long!!!!

Comment by Tammy Edwards – December 5, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS^^^^^^^!!!!!

Comment by Brenna – December 5, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope the same ;)

Comment by estefania – December 6, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That could be the worst thing to happen to NCIS. If Tiva occurs, what’s gonna be the ramifications? Aside from Rule 12… Do you think Gibbs or Vance would allow them to work on the same team if they were involved? Probably not. Who would you like to see transferred out?
        My wish would be Tony. Never did like the immature jack***.
        To avoid “jumping the shark”, the writers are better off leaving Tiva to the watcher’s imagination.

Comment by Sherry – December 7, 2012 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Get rid of McGee. Period. He’s a waste of space, and is treated like a
          golden boy all the time. Even Gibbs puts up with his whining and moping.
          Yuk!

Comment by Suzie – December 11, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would like to Know all the Rules!!!!

Comment by Inger Hanscom (@Imburke7) – December 16, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL. Wouldn’t we all.

Comment by Sherry – December 16, 2012 09:07 PM PDT
  • Lolol this scene seems priceless xD Can’t wait.

Comment by Gaara – December 5, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boy if Tony finds out. He will never let McGee live it down. Gibbs might be bemused or shocked, not sure. He sorta has come to terms with Diane since their last meeting. Fornell has the more pressing issues with his ex. But still Gibbs can’t be happy. But then with Gibbs, you can’t really register what he is feeling most of time. Unless he’s truly angry. And I don’t think he will be! McGee will be very embarrassed.

Comment by Stacey – December 5, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just screamed. I really can’t. This must be the best thing ever. I’ll cry tears with laughter watching this. Tuesday come sooner. Oh my god.

Comment by Svenja – December 5, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hahaha I love my mcgee and I can’t wait to see his reaction when gibbs to see them… I love thta mcgee (sean murray ) has more storylines and funny scenes

Comment by estefania – December 5, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Timmy. This is hilarious. Can’t wait!

Comment by Mel – December 5, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this just cracked me up so much! Can not wait!

Comment by tali – December 5, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is a Mcgee dream and he wakes up scared to death that Gibbs seen him with his ex-wife

Comment by Trina – December 5, 2012 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PPL ALWAYS JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS, NOT SAYING IT IS OR ISN’T THERE MAY BE A LOGICAL EXPLANATION (DON’T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT’S COVER)

Comment by Elizabeth – December 5, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Elizabeth, it’s sure to be something innocuous. I’ve never spooned a gal while dressed in a suit. Looks like Gibb’s ex is dressed in outerwear also. Gibbs will surely be amused and there will be the dickens to pay when Tony and Ziva find out. Now if McGee had no shirt on and Diane was in something silky… it would be a totally different scenario. NCIS is still the best show on TV.

Comment by Art – December 5, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Should make it into his next book.

Comment by david williams – December 5, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH NO PEOPLE ARE JUST HAVIN FUN WITH THE PIC, NOT SAYING YOU CAN’T TOO BUT YOU SEEM MORE INTERESTED IN LOGICAL EXPLANATIONS (DON’T COVER A JUDGE WITH A BOOK!!1!)

Comment by where's the foot? – December 5, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure Gibbs had a smirk on his face and will bust on McGee but find it totally funny! LOL

Comment by Lora la Fenix – December 5, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGee doesn’t even know who she is… he wasn’t around in season 1!

Comment by Red Hawking – December 5, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But isn’t she the one common to Gibbs & Fornell? Tim was there when she was having current “hubby issues”.

Comment by Susan – December 5, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was in an episode last year. Called McGee “McCauley” said it took her an hour to get some information out of him.

Comment by Liz – December 5, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, here’s what I think: Gibbs absolutely won’t be mad BUT there’s no way he will let McGee know that! Gibbs will play this up for all it’s worth just to watch poor McGee try to stutter his way out of it! Now Tony is a whole new story. Where Tony is concerned all I can say is poor McGee! Tony will first of all be soooo jealous & will carry on qn do on and on about a) he can’t believe Tim would do this to Gibbs, and b) he can’t believe she preferred McGee over Tony and last c) it had to have been platonic, right?? Too funny!!

Comment by Brenda – December 5, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gibbs forgave Tobias for sleeping and marying one of his ex’s…he’ll just torture McGee a little, he could never be too mad at him, after all thy’re both fully dressed.

Comment by Veronica Rad – December 5, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish that was Tony and Ziva on that couch.

Comment by Michelle – December 5, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too, but maybe in near future we will see some like this

Comment by estefania – December 6, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one who Tim should really be worried about is Abby. She has a latent propensity for the McGee. No breaking Abby’s heart, okay?

Comment by Jack Wahl – December 5, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, but all we know that mcgee’s heart is of abby ….McAbby ;)

Comment by estefania – December 6, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is She is in trouble and needs protection .. McGee is baby setting her over night ..sleeping on the couch and wakes up with her ..like this and Gibbs standing over them.. (she snuck in to cuddle cause she was scared)!!! See it’s not what it looks like!!!

Comment by Vee – December 5, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Abby’s reaction?

Comment by Ron – December 5, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Abby threw that away when her and McGee broke up.

Comment by Blain – December 5, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Breaking up does not always take away all feelings of jealousy. Besides; anyone with eyes can see that she still has tender feelings of him.

Comment by Jani Fitzsimmons. – December 5, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ooooooohhhhh , you are right I want to see abby reaction

Comment by estefania – December 6, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @ Red Hawking: Diane has been on the show atleast once since Season 1. It’s safe to say, McGee knows full well, what he’s “getting into”, if that’s what’s happening :)

Comment by Mike – December 5, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs: “Do you two need to get a room, McGee?”
    Diane (falling off couch): “Ow!”
    McGee: (jumping up): Oh! Ahhhhh! NO! Boss… it’s not what you…”
    Gibbs: “Never is, Tim, never is…”

Comment by Consuela – December 5, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McGee is probably suppose to be on a protection detail. And not only is he asleep, he’s sleeping with the woman he is suppose to be protecting. Remember Gibbs has no problem with his ex having a relationship, he said as much to her face, but I suspect he will come down on McGee for sleeping than he will for them sleeping together on the couch, fully clothed.

Comment by Blain – December 5, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say they are handcuffed and that was the only comfortable way to sleep. Can’t wait everyones reaction. Abby’s gonna be hot over this.

Comment by Barbara – December 5, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah you could be right

Comment by estefania – December 6, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There has to be handcuffs involved!!!

Comment by Ronald Groth – December 5, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Abby. Me thinks McGee is hers.

Comment by Selma L. Ray – December 5, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would be even more scandalous if McGee wasn’t clothed. Echo other statements (I wish it was Tony/Ziva)!

Comment by PJinNH – December 5, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s his (Gibbs’s) ex. Gibbs’ reaction SHOULD NOT be to ‘bust McGee’s chops’ as somebody already said. NOT his business WHAT went on or not, between McGee and Diane. And Gibbs has better control of himself than to hit a fellow agent/employee than that over an ex-wife!

Comment by Linda – December 5, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “busting his chops” doesn’t mean that Gibbs is going to hit McGee–more like that he’ll rag on him a bit.

Comment by Elizabeth – December 5, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim looks like he has a smile

on his face and Diane looks like she is out of it.

Comment by Heather Moyer Gendeloff – December 5, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Rumors run wild among the group after Diane stays overnight at McGee’s.” Yeah, I’d say so! You think ??

Comment by Mary – December 5, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim is typically clueless–a soft touch for a damsel in distress—and falls asleep with the Ex while protecting her from something out of a feeling of obligation to Gibbs–who she would not ask for help. Typical for McGee, he manages to end up in a compromising situation, gets all kinds of crap from Tony, an arched eyebrow from Ziva, Abby is pissed but cannot explain why because she does/doesn’t want a relationship with McGee. Tony will be the real pain in the ass about this until Gibbs head-slaps him into being a decent human being about it. At the end of the episode, Gibbs will have sorted it out, McGee will be a little wiser for the experience, and Abby will be left wondering if she needs to re-think things with McGee.

Comment by Hugh – December 5, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think McGee will get head-slapped before Tony, but Tony’s gonna get one, too!! (No doubt!!!)

Comment by Brad – December 5, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor McGee, he is always the clueless, innocent one. Though he has come a long way since the early episodes.

Comment by Janna – December 5, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh this made my day. Laughed my ass off. Can’t wait to see this.

Comment by irishtrish – December 5, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt Gibbs will care that much but Mcgee will freak out trying to explain what is most likely an innocent situation but Tony and Ziva won’t let him live it down but either way it looks like another awesome episode Loving the season so far :)

Comment by peacelight – December 5, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just excited to have McGee have more than a passing glance in an episode. He is my favorite and is so underused.

Comment by 68luvcarter – December 5, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t most us women love those lovable, wide-eyed innocent men like mcgee? we just have to mother them!

Comment by THFC_Ken – December 5, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Consuela had the best answer. I can just see this whole scenero going down that way. But Tony..? Lord help McGee. **shakes and bows head** Poor McGee. Lol

Comment by Tessa – December 5, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not too concerned about what Gibbs would do, its Tony who’s going to have a field day with this one. Gibbs would probably ask: “What were you thinking”? Then give him a head slap.

Comment by Yolanda Davis – December 6, 2012 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • have loved David Mcallum since the 60′s Man From Uncle.. now I love all the characters… am sooo jealous I don’t have the up to date series yet. & no Gibbs will just raise an eyebrow & poor Tim will fluff & bluster.

Comment by I. Gamble. – December 6, 2012 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they are handcuffed in some way which forced them to sleep that way.

Comment by JS – December 6, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so looking forward to seeing this episode. Cannot wait. How cute, but McGee’s life is going to pure heck (ell) with Abby, Tony, Ziva and yes even Gibbs.

Comment by Jeannie Clary (@JeannieC83) – December 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just saw the actual .30 clip on CBS.com and it is so funny.

Comment by Jeannie Clary (@JeannieC83) – December 6, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As always the scene will be priceless. Our kiddo’s are growing up and sooner or later they are bound to hook up with someone.

Comment by Dee – December 7, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You go McGee (I’d be happy to be there w/ him)

Comment by Michele – December 7, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait, for each episode, never miss one, if can’t be there Dvd it…Love all of the characters, they seem to work like a real team…Thank you for all of the Joy we have received from being part of the family. Angel hugs and Love

Comment by Sandi Evans – December 7, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see it already…..”Boss, this isn’t what it looks like!”

Comment by Michelle – December 8, 2012 04:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatrver the storyline, it will be worked out with precision just like all others. All will act with professionalism with a bit of humor thrown in. Yea team Gibbs!!!!!!!

Comment by Isabelle Frankenfield – December 10, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post