How I Met Your Mother Hot Shots: Barney's New Romance Heats Up, Plus a Buffy Reunion!

How I Met Your Mother‘s Barney and Robin will eventually get hitched, but the road to the altar won’t be without its obstacles — namely, as we learned in this week’s episode, in the form of her co-worker Patrice. We’ve got the snapshots to prove that the new relationship is chugging right along.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Gets Schooled by Covert Affairs‘ Peter Gallagher

In the Dec. 10 outing of the CBS comedy, Robin becomes suspicious of Barney’s new romance. But that’s nothing compared to what she may be feeling during the hour-long holiday episode, “The Final Page, Part One and Two” (airing Dec. 17), in which Barney drops a bombshell — he tells Ted he plans to propose to Patrice! Will Ted spill the beans to Robin in time for her to stop him? This being HIMYM, we also have to ask: Could it all be a trick to distract us from the real engagement? (And why is Barney covered in blood?!)

Check out the gallery below, which also features a mini Buffy reunion with guest star Seth Green playing Marshall and Lily’s college acquaintance, and then hit the comments with your thoughts/theories!

Comments (53)

• Okay, I love this show, but this season.. if this is really the last one, how are they going to have a satisfying journey to Barney and Robin’s wedding? We’re almost halfway done already!

Also, poor Ted, stuck in B plot status for weeks. They really should have introduced the mother already and let us spend time with Ted and her. It would give Ted something to do and a different dynamic to the show. We’ve seen all of Ted’s suffering and bad relationships, why can’t we see the good one?

Comment by Jerry – December 5, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by rook – December 5, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Rebecca – December 5, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If this is the last season of ‘How I Met Your Mother’ they should make a farewell season called ‘How I Married Your Mother’

Comment by lauren – December 5, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s the spin off.

Comment by Hannah – December 5, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Should be called, “Now I’ve Met Your Mother”

Comment by Larryboy – December 6, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like he will be proposing to Robin.

Comment by britt – December 5, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks like this was all a set up so Barney could propose to Robin on the roof

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – December 5, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. And it looks like “The Last Page” episode title refers to the last page of Barney’s playbook. The Patrice thing is all a ploy to propose to Robin. We’ve already seen how far Barney will go to get these schemes to work.

Comment by Kara – December 5, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OOOOOR,she will propose him!Hmmm….

Comment by you know – December 5, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Either way they’ll be engaged by the end of the night.

Comment by Andy – December 5, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like this idea. Like the rest I assume that this is all a scheme set up by Barney to really propose to Robin and your idea that he proposes to him instead is pretty good. What if it’s both, it’s all a set up by Barney to get Robin to propose to him…

Comment by TMNTFan – December 5, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Barney/Robin fan but I have to say that this past week’s episode was cringe-worthy. I am not upset because I know that they are “endgame” but the storylines they are using (other than Quinn) are ridiculous. I liked that Barney “gave up” on Robin b/c honestly, she’s the one who needs to realize her feelings since he’s been there for a while now. And I liked that it appeared she did at the end of the same episode, only for them to pull that stupid storyline of her throwing herslef at him for one last fling. I repeat, cringe-worthy!

Now I know Barney is probably just reeling from Quinn & Robin’s rejections but I am disappointed in his supposedly proposing to Patrice. Not that she’s not a nice girl & think the only person actually listening to poor Barney at the moment but the constant proposing is making him look like…Ted! And that’s not a compliment. Anyway, I hope they prove me wrong & it does turn out funny because right now, I’m definitely not laughing at this show.

PS- Yay Buffy reunion!!

Comment by Jay – December 5, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it, the title refers to the final page of the playbook. The last trick to get the ultimate yes… and Patrice is helping Barney to get Robin and that yes to the question he will probably ask her on the roof. Telling Ted is also a trick, who would tell Ted such thing? Barney knows exactly what Ted will do: go straight to Robin to let her know. It is part of the plan. Beside I agree they should have shown us the mother by now, at least to give Ted a real purpose. Maybe not in the present but for example more flash-forwards because I am pretty sure we will see only the meeting, not the major events of Ted’s future life.

Comment by Azerty – December 5, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you forgotten? He’s said all the way through that he meets the mother with a yellow umbrella (so you’ve already had a glimpse) and he meets her for real at a wedding A.K.A Robin and Barney’s!!!!!!!! So you’ll just have to wait as it will probably be the last episode seeing as he will of met the mother.
      P.S Buffy Reunion!!!! YAY!!!!

Comment by Tierney – February 18, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robin and barney are getting married.in the series eight.finale

Comment by Rachel – February 18, 2013 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the last page…the last page of the playbook.
    mother of god it’s so obvious and heartbreaking at the same time D=

Comment by mac – December 5, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, Barney & Robin will get together, now to the important part: WILLOW & OZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Luz – December 5, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you look closely, the Title of page she’s holding in her hand reads: “The Robin” and what follows is Step 1, Step 2, etc.

It’s the last play from his playbook, to propose to her.

Comment by Tag – December 5, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Picture 14 says ” Step 10(?): hope she says yes”, which I assume is the back of the page of ‘The Robin”.

I’m more curious about the picture where everyone is holding hands, but Lily and Barney looked shocked/worried.

Comment by Sara – December 5, 2012 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Buffy

Comment by nikki – December 5, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney looks kind of mad in one pic and the other he’s smiling so it’s pretty obvious that Robin is yelling at him because she’s mad about the play he’s playing on her. This is going to be fun. Barney is so playing this right down to every detail and it’s working to get Robin finally tell him how she feels. Also, this is a proposal scene there is no doubt that by the end of this episode B/R will be engaged.

Comment by SharloveBR – December 5, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate this season…

Comment by AlbTrex – December 5, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Barney/Robin and i wish they would just tell us who the damn mother is so at least we can see Ted and her together before the end of the series to see if they really are an epic love story and the build up would final end. Plus Ted needs a better story line this season he is kind of in Limbo and needs a better purpose

Comment by peacelight – December 5, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Barney/Robin fan, but the most exciting thing in those pics is Seth Green! Happy to see Willow and Oz reunited lol.

Comment by LALA – December 5, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • we’ve stopped watching this show entirely – like barney and marshall and lily but the whole “who’s your mom” thing is just dragging on forever.

Comment by missmiggles – December 5, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww Willow and Oz together again!! I bet he’s pissed that she married a dude ;) And such a tall one too <3

Comment by Princess Adora – December 5, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing The Final Page Title is talking about Barney’s Play Book

Comment by Paul V – December 5, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney and Robin always pick on Ted for being romantic and girly, and that is exactly what they become when they fall in love.
    Out of character much?

Comment by Pepper – December 5, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure, if you think they shouldn’t have progressed from the first season. Otherwise, anyone who has been watching the show for the past 7.5 years can recognize and appreciate the character development, particularly in Barney. But you probably just want him to be a womanizer forever, which is a different thing altogether — that’s him being out of the character you PREFER, not out of the character the writers have actually created over time.

Comment by Jen – December 5, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • WORD. Some people refuse to see the subtle progression of Barney over the years, particularly in regard to his feelings for Robin. Going from “Yeah, you know she likes it dirty” to ” I want to hear about her day, and tell her about mine. I want to hold her hand, and smell her hair. But I don’t want to be her stupid boyfriend” to “When I let a day go by without talking to you, that day is just no good” to “I couldn’t stop loving her anymore than I could stop breathing” — it’s so CLEAR and beautifully done, especially with how the writers have addressed his abandonment, commitment and father issues along the way.
        Those people are missing out!

Comment by anon anon – December 6, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THIS. Couldn’t have said it better

Comment by Brosforlife – December 7, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! First Wesley, now Oz. keep up the Buffy reunions/cameos please (had to add cameos since Wesley didn’t get a scene with willow, iirc).

Comment by Buffy fan – December 5, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe I missed Wesley!

Comment by Mary – December 5, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like idea a wedding between Patrice and Barney. It’s more fun that Robin and Barney.
    Sorry for fans of the couple Barney-Robin but I don’t believe that the two have the same projects in the life. the character of Quinn was a good idée but underexploited.

Comment by Sykk – December 5, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole paybook scene in the first pic screams like a scene in the Avengers.

Comment by Rachel – December 5, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve noticed a lot of scenes in which they have Robin the have the essence of The Avengers. The leather suit when she was going to ride Nicks motorcycle and the Laura croft laser tag

Comment by A.B. – December 5, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Picture 16 makes me want to watch this episode soooo bad. Although it hasn’t been a good season so far.

Comment by Olivia – December 5, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This better be the reunion/proposal episode. My mind will officially be blown if last episode and the next three new ones are all a big elaborate play to propose to Robin and get her to say yes. Even though HIMYM has its weaknesses, and I’ll agree, last season (with the whole Kevin and Quinn fiasco) was not the best, but its these types story lines right here that makes me want to be like Ted and hug the writers, producers, cast, and everyone that’s made this show come to life on our screens. I still hope this isn’t the last season, but if it is, the only consolation I will get from that is that I won’t have to worry about them mucking up B/R relationship again like last season lol.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 5, 2012 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Robin is going to propose to Barney. She’s gonna freak out about Barney proposing to Patrice (I love her btw!) and she’s gonna do something extravagant and propose to him! (you can see her stealing the PlayBook, so its probably her that is going to use the “Last Page”)
    And even though it was sad to see Robin hurt when she saw Barney with Patrice, she kinda deserved it after what she did to him last November.

Comment by Sam – December 6, 2012 02:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup, as much as I love Robin and I hurt for her at the end of the episode, she really did deserve it. That was payback after what she did to him in Tick Tick Tick and then rejecting him once again in Stamp Tramp.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 6, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY IS BARNEY BLEEDING ? ? ?

Comment by awesomeness – December 6, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think its Barney that’s bleeding, but someone bled on him. And I’m hoping it’s a fantasy scenario or flashback, because that’s a lot of blood. Kind of makes me worry about the person who bled like that.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 6, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just wishing that this time barney wont be broken hearted… And just read that before barney and robin’s wedding day , ted and robin will do something crazy which will make robin to consider barney twice…. Why cant ted just leave robin alone , she was and always will be barney’s..!!!

Comment by NIck – December 7, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I agree. No more Ted/Robin please. It’s just too boring and too tiring already. And it would totally be stupid of Robin if she will reciprocate what’s left of Ted’s feelings for her.

Comment by Brosforlife – December 7, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I read that too and I’m extremely worried about it. I don’t think the writers are dumb enough to have Robin dout her feelings towards Barney or wonder if there are still feelings toward Ted, but I’m still scared. I will kick in my tv if I see a kiss or almost kiss betwen them. THEY ARE DONE! THEY SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER GET BACK TOGETHER. I’m glad that CTCB have confirmed Barney/Robin are endgame and that they do end up together, but I worry that what they have planned for the wedding will tarnish the B/R endgame.

Comment by justsomegirl – December 7, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one wondering why barney is all bloodied up? Or is that a really stupid thing to ask?
    What is Barney doing, proposing to Patrice after like two weeks?
    I beg for some good swarklyness (just made that word up, I kinda like it). Watching them not be together is exhausting.

Comment by Robinsparkles14 – December 11, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ooh this episode is going to be the reunion I am sure ,I wish it was monday already and its going to be such a beautiful and emotional and confusing moment but yay my favourite couple is reuniting.I don’t think that that ted is going to tell her he is in love with her again but things will be awkward when he tells her why he and victoria broke up and he will at some point freak out about barney and robin.

Comment by Rachel Hartlebury – December 13, 2012 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was the name of the song at the end?

Comment by Marcelo Hernandez – December 17, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get it, Barney did not walk in with blood all over him, why is thee picture there?! I’m freaking out!!!

Comment by jkfg98 – December 18, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why is barney covered in blood ???

Comment by diana – April 8, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post