Ratings: Homeland Hits Series High, Builds on Dexter Lead-In for First Time Ever

Get More: News, Ratings

GalleryDespite serving up one of its more critiqued episodes this Sunday night, Homeland spied its largest audience ever.

The Emmy-winning Showtime drama drew 2.2 million total viewers with its 10 pm airing — in and of itself a series record — and went on to amass 2.5 mil for the night, another all-time high.

RELATED | Homeland Recap: Heart and Issa’s Soul

Homeland’s opening blast of 2.2 mil also built on lead-in Dexter‘s audience (2.1 mil this week) for the first time ever.

Season to date, Homeland is averaging 5.7 million weekly viewers across all platforms, up 34 percent versus its freshman run. Dexter, meanwhile, is up 12 percent from Season 6 with a weekly draw of 6 mil.

Comments (16)

• I thought episode 210 of ‘Homeland’ was pretty good, I don’t know why people complain so much. ‘Dexter’ has also been better than usual this season. I wonder what show will eventually take over as lead-in for ‘Homeland’ once ‘Dexter’ ends.

Comment by Dan – December 4, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Homeland will get move to 9pm and a new show will be on after it.

Comment by Midori004 – December 4, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because Homeland is insane. Easily now the best show on TV.

The first season was great, but Breaking Bad and Damages probably beat it out in my POV. However this season… Just when you think you know what will happen, it does, but it’s only 5 minutes into the episode and 20 more things happen that make you forget.

Comment by Midori004 – December 4, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This season has been much worse than 1 though. It seems to me, there are two kinds of people. Those that like this season, because of its cheap thrills and fast pacing, and those that are starting to realize what a terrible season this really is. First season much better written, whereas this season has so many plot holes, and unrealistic situations that push the plot forward. I know TV shows are fiction, and aren’t supposed to be realistic. But yeesh, when you have Nazir skyping Brody on a phone that the CIA just magically decides to stop monitoring, you know this show is in trouble.

Homeland has gone from a well crafted psychological thriller, to a dumbed down action show like 24. At least 24 knew what it was, and never pretended to be anything else.

Comment by Courteous Vampire – December 4, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And…I also wanted to point out, I don’t think it’s “complaining” when a show keeps doing dumb things. There is a certain point where the writers rely too much on ridiculous situations to move the plot forward (because they aren’t good at writing), that the entire world the show crafted starts to fall apart.

This season of Breaking Bad was probably the most over the top (a lot of implausible situations). But at least Breaking Bad has and will always be about the corruption of Walter White. The tension/drama rises from the characters. Season 1 of Homeland also had the tension/drama come from the characters, but this season it’s all built off of stupid over the top situations.

If I have to watch ONE more scene with Brody fumbling through a high profile office (with apparently no security), and then magically get everything put away JUST as someone walks in, I’ll vomit. And don’t even get me started on the stupid pacemaker plot. Yes, you can hack a pacemaker. But you have to be 50 feet from it. Not by some magical “computer tech” via Satellite.

LOL @ Nazir is walking around in broad day light and crashing his car into someone in a public street.

Comment by Courteous Vampire – December 4, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have noticed a few bad reviews online for the show too. I think people are working too hard to try and find holes in the plot. Of course holes are going to be there, holes are there in just about every thriller that exists on TV and in the movies. People should just sit back and enjoy the show and not try to think too hard about it. It’s only television. Also, I think Homeland is going to get some backlash because it’s been rising in popularity pretty quickly. That’s pretty standard as there are always some people out there who get off on crapping all over things that other people like a lot. I’m sorry to say I have many friends like this. I’m also sorry to say sometimes I am like this.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – December 4, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s kind of fun to do it on inferior shows like Revolution or Arrow.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 4, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After the fall finale of Revolution which had Emmy-worthy acting and execution, I say nuh-uh.

Comment by John – December 4, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Arrow is great television. It is mindless entertainment that you don’t have to think about to enjoy. That is what television is for.

Comment by Sg. Grant – December 5, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s enjoyability is severely limited if you just take it at face value. It takes it self so very seriously when it gets extremely silly. How can you not laugh when he says, “I forged myself into a weapon”? Some of the things I said to my friend as I watched last week’s episode:
          “Arrow’s on camera again and they don’t show the part where he takes off his hood in exasperation?”
          “WHY ARE THEY MAKING OUT”

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 5, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Post award/top dog envy!

I like to think that all the people who are out there hatin’ on Homeland are the same people who watch crappy network programming and call it excellent. I love T.V. and I have no problem suspending my beliefs for an hour of entertainment.

Comment by BL – December 4, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s going to get backlash, because season 1 was so excellent, and well written. And now Season 2 is drastically dropping the ball by being a sloppy over the top action thriller (vs Season 1 being an intense psychological thriller).

Stop defending the show for being sloppy people.

Comment by Courteous Vampire – December 4, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Homeland’s ratings are that good next year it will move to 9 after Dexter ends, and they will put a new drama at 10.

Comment by Paul – December 4, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its funny what fans are saying about Homeland since Dexter has undergone a creative resurgence and is on top of its game this season. It has never been more compelling in the past few years.

Comment by John – December 4, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post