Is Seinfeld the Greatest Sitcom of All Time?

Seinfeld_Cast_300Seinfeld has been voted the greatest sitcom of all time — not that there’s anything wrong with that. Or is there?

In a poll conducted by 60 Minutes in tandem with Vanity Fair, the show about nothing edged out the classic comedy The Honeymooners with 22 percent of the vote. (Ralph, Alice & Co. received 20 percent.)

Trailing the two shows were Friends (16 percent), Cheers (14 percent), Arrested Development (7 percent), Mary Tyler Moore (6 percent) and 30 Rock (5 percent).

Do you agree with 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll results? Sound off in our poll!

1. Matt says:

Anyone that doesn’t vote for Seinfeld is wrong, and it’s just plain as simple as that. Keep in mind this is a fact, not an opinion.

(Also anyone that votes for Friends shouldn’t even be allowed to vote. That’s just an opinion though)

2. Sarah says:

I have never understood the allure of Seinfeld. There were a lot of much better sitcoms, especially before. These shows even made cultural impacts…other than the soup nazi, what did Seinfeld give us?
    Lucy was the first show to have a married couple sleeping in the same bed.
    The Andy Griffith Show was much better. It had spin-offs and a nielsen rating of 27.6 the year it was on top. Cheers ran for 11 years had two spin-offs (one of which also ran 11 years) and its finally is listed as number 22 on top all time nielsen shows watched of all time…47 ahead of Seinfeld. it also had a 21.3 The year it was number 1.
    The Cosby Show was number 1 for 5 years with numbers from 34.9-23.1 in ratings it had one spin off. All in the Family had 7 (Count them 7!) spin-off including the Jeffersons! It was number 1 for 5 years with ratings between 34-31.2
    Seinfeld was number 1 for 2 years split between 1994 and 1998 and its ratings were 21.7 and 20.6. It was tied with the Cosby show for most watched show of all time at number 69 (47 below Cheers!) and behind numerous Beverly Hillbillies Episodes.
    It was a good show, sure. Was it the best of all time…NO. It would be a really horrible disservice to those shows that made cultural impacts like All in the Family, I love Lucy etc…

3. Rob says:

I wonder if any of the people who voted have seen Seinfeld in a long time. It has not aged well. The cynicism and misanthropy has grown particularly grating over the years. Friends, while not as innovative from a plotting standpoint, however, is still fresh and funny today. The chemistry between the characters and actors sparkles.

4. k says:

I believe that really good comedy shows are few and far between.
    I absolutely agree that I Love Lucy has stood the test of time (I can watch the reruns over and over again) and set the standard for a superior tv comedy show. For current shows, I would choose Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. For older shows I would choose Cheers, Frasier, Mary Tyler Moore, Roseanne, Wonder Years, and WKRP in Cincinnatti. I have never watched Arrested Development but so many of you mentioned it here that I am going to have to start. I never really got invested in Seinfeld or Friends.

5. kimberly says:

Frasier!! The comedy still holds up today!

6. mycatmidnite says:

i love the fact that Arrested Development was only on for 3 seasons and is holding its own against a lot of long running series! :)

7. Justin says:

No Mariied with Children, Wings or Night Court = Fail!

8. KJ says:

The Cosby Show!

9. Anon says:

Community!

10. Kara says:

I Love Lucy
    The Golden Girls
    The Dick Van Dyke Show

11. Kara says:

Oh and Frasier!!!

12. Derek Ender Lee says:

For me it will always be Scrubs.

13. Billy Baroo says:

Gilligan’s Island!

14. Billy Baroo says:

Andy Griffith

15. jon says:

People like what they want to like. It should only matter to yourself whose at the top of the list, only 2 of those shows would make my list, and Seinfeld wouldnt even make my top 50. But that’s me. In an Aussie and we were brought up on all US and British comedy. We have are own too. But as far as that goes, Americans don’t understand our slang and humour. US Kath and Kim was crap, all Australians will tell you that. Although, you guys have done a very good job with Wilfred. Aussie Wilfred is still better to us though. Download Kingswood Country, We Can Be Heroes, Summer Heights High, Angry Boys, only if you understand our humour. I’m sure Japanese and Chinese sitcoms would make u laugh as well, but for different reasons. I certainly wouldnt understand it, but would probably piss myself laughing. Broaden your minds people

16. BLAIR says:

Have no problem with Seinfeld and Honeymooners being #1/2, very funny shows. Like others said, I Love Lucy, Golden Girls and Mash should also be on the list, but my personal favorite is, Newhart. “Hi, I’m Larry, this is my brother Darrell, and this is my other brother Darrell”, never gets old.

17. Raghav says:

I can’t believe Blackadder isnt on the list. That was a classic sitcom!!!!! In fact, I’m surprised that there aren’t any British sitcoms on that list.

18. The Person says:

The Office (US)

19. AcE says:

Friends by far.

20. RONY RAHMAN says:

I LOVE LUCY SHOULD BE IN THE LIST. CHEERS IS NOT THAT GREAT OR FUNNY A SITCOM. THERE ARE SOME MORE TOO THAT CAN BE IN THE LIST. ANYWAY SEINFELD SHOULD BE NO. 1 FOR ITS SIMPLICITY AND SO CLOSE TO DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES OR LIFE AND OF COURSE FOR ITS FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT CAST IN THE FORM OF JERRY HIMSELF, MICHAEL RICHARDS, JULIA, JASON AND OTHERS.

21. Tom says:

ANDY GRIFFITH
    EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND

22. Chimy Dorji says:

why wouldn’t anyone mention two and a half Men? That show really cracks me up! sitcoms are supposed to be funny. blatant. .. blunt or wateva. .. those guys were funny. Friends too! It’s entertainment. .. not Oprah!!!

23. Holly says:

All in the Family and The Big Bang Theory ought to be on anyone’s Top 7 list! All in the Family was outrageously funny and original, a true landmark series. And Big Bang has wonderful comic actors as well as brilliant writing. Both of these shows were far superior to the insipid and formulaic Friends.

24. 5.bob newhart show;4.dick van dyke show;3.cosby show;2.mash;1.odd couple.

25. Brennan Martinez says:

Why isn’t The Simpsons mentioned? Think about it, neck and neck with Seinfeld, they wasn’t a show that was talked about in the 1990’s. Was The Simpsons even, for lack of a better term, nominated to be in the top 7? (And don’t you even dare tell me it wasn’t nominated because it’s a cartoon!!!!! Other publications didn’t care about this, and have even named it the greatest television series of all time!!!!!).

26. Brennan Martinez says:

I also love South Park (And guess what? That’s also a cartoon!!!!! :-P)

27. Alexander Simon says:

על “מלחמה” מאמר מאת הסופר מר אלכסנדר סימון
    על-פי פאנק & מילון רגיל Wagnalls; “סכסוך מזוין בין מדינות או מדינות, או בין מפלגות שונות באותו מצב;” מלחמה! עוד יותר; מ מלחמת פרס-יוון המוביל אל המלחמה העיקריים האחרונה ב וייטנאם; פעולות צבאיות המתן לצלצול שלך לתפקיד!!
    ביום Unionist אמריקה או ערב יום הזכרון בקנדה; מלחמה היא חגיגה שקט. עולם רחב כל העמים לקבל כל הסרת הקומוניסטית ורק עם המלחמה. מועסק על ידי קואליציה של האומות המאוחדות!!
    אחד סיבה אנשים להיכנס למלחמה סיום כל צורה של איום הקומוניסטית!!
    להשיק מלחמה מחייבת האספה הלאומית של העולם. עם המלחמה האחרונה בוייטנאם; האומות המאוחדות נדיר כולל קמבודיה, ויאטנם הסכים הקומוניסטים היו איום מתמשך ארצות הברית פלשה הקרקע אמיתי!! במהלך שחרור מן ההגנות הקמבודי… “דרום וייטנאם הנשיא Thieu לא לנסוע לפריז להצטרף לשיחות, ורומז כי ניקסון ייתן לו עסקה טובה יותר אם ייבחר. ג’ונסון היה מודע מה קורה, כמו גם Chennault וגם שגריר דרום וייטנאם וושינגטון שתול, והוא היה זועמים על ידי מה הוא נחשב ניסיון על ידי ניקסון לערער את מדיניות החוץ של ארה ב. ב- 31 באוקטובר עם שום הסכם, הודיע ג’ונסון ואחזור חד-צדדית ההפצצה, ומתן לשלום זה;”בתנאי אחד הסופי; אם הנשיא המפורסם הקלות בייצוא לסין. מתנגד המדיניות על נייר וושינגטון; הנשיא ניקסון… “אושר סוד להפצצה של צפון וייטנאמים, בעלות הברית עמדות החמר-רוז ‘ בקמבודיה במרץ 1969 (תפריט מבצע וקבועה).” הנשיא היה לאחר מכן שקרית מכהונתו או על-ידי קומוניסטית תנאי בוגד!! . הוא לא!!
    בקנדי תנאי מה בדיוק ההדחה?? “ב־1972, ניקסון רץ לכהונה נגד דמוקרט. ג’ורג ‘ מקגוורן וסחף לניצחון סוחף עם 60 אחוזים מהקולות פופולרי;” ולקרוא מכתב דחייה לאחר מכן; “ניקסון בתחילה קיוותה להצטרף הלשכה. הפדרלית לחקירות. הוא קיבל לא התקבלה תגובה למכתבו של יישום ולמדו שנים מאוחר יותר כי הוא שכר, אבל התור שלו בוטלה ברגע האחרון בשל קיצוצי תקציב”ומצא כי הקומוניסטים אותו היו מעורבים!!
    בעוד צעיר טקסני בצורה; “ניקסון השלים ספר לצוערים קצינים ומונה כ באנייה באוקטובר 1942. ההודעה הראשונה שלו היה העוזר למפקד Ottumwa תחנת חיל האוויר באיווה. מחפש עוד התרגשות, הוא ביקש ים חובה, הועבר כקצין שליטה הנוסעים הימי עבור דרום האוקיינוס השקט קרב אוויר תחבורה הפקודה, תמיכה הלוגיסטיקה של פעולות בתיאטרון בדרום מערב האוקיינוס השקט;”הוא גר
    הנשיאות!! . ואני שנוצח!!
    למרבה הצער; ליד יום הזכרון מגנט גדול כל ארה ב. הנשיא עזב וושינגטון. אם; הנשיא הבא הטוב ביותר של אמריקה התפטר הנשיא ניקסון התפטר מכהונתו תחת איום הדחה ב 9 באוגוסט 1974; “למה לא איי לשעבר מוזמנת ב המלך האמיתי של וושינגטון שנשאר מחייך והצגתן”אתה תהיה מיס אותי” ביום ההוא; עם misfeed; “ב- 30 באפריל 1975. האירוע לסמן סיום מלחמת וייטנאם ואת ההתחלה של תקופת מעבר שמוביל איחוד וייטנאם רשמית לתוך הרפובליקה הסוציאליסטית נשלטת על ידי המפלגה הקומוניסטית. אם זה נכון אז הבית הלבן פלשו שערוריית דתיים!!

28. Josh'O says:

Seinfeld on that list, by far.

I also really enjoyed Fresh Prince and News Radio.

People are going on about older Sitcoms are ignoring the fact that they were not nearly as well developed comedically as later Sitcoms. Older comedy is less intellectual and dryer than Bob Sagat on Full House.