Is Seinfeld the Greatest Sitcom of All Time?

Get More: Polls

Seinfeld_Cast_300Seinfeld has been voted the greatest sitcom of all time — not that there’s anything wrong with that. Or is there?

In a poll conducted by 60 Minutes in tandem with Vanity Fair, the show about nothing edged out the classic comedy The Honeymooners with 22 percent of the vote. (Ralph, Alice & Co. received 20 percent.)

Trailing the two shows were Friends (16 percent), Cheers (14 percent), Arrested Development (7 percent), Mary Tyler Moore (6 percent) and 30 Rock (5 percent).

Do you agree with 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll results? Sound off in our poll!

Comments (199)

• Family Ties.

Comment by AL – December 3, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are another of my favorite sitcoms
    - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    - Modern Family
    - I Dreamed of Jeannie
    - Third Rock from the Sun <—————–CLASSIC!!!
    - The Big Bang Theory <—- huge better than Two and a Half Men
    - Arrested Development
    - PRETTY LITTLE LIARS… HAHAHA "A" is soooo funny

Comment by Fernanda – December 3, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I had a vote it would go to “The Wonder Years”

Comment by pick – December 3, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are so many good sitcoms… I have not seen Seinfeld (though my parents LOVE it) but Friends is my favorite show of all time. Arrested Development does secure my second favorite comedy show of all time, but I never really considered it to be a sitcom…

Comment by Babybop728 – December 3, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Simpsons. ‘Nuff said.

Comment by Eckhardt – December 3, 2012 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there was the phil silvers show, and don’t forget the Dick Van Dyke show! The Bob Newhart show where he was a shrink was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. 30 Rock had me rofling as much as Seinfeld ever did. And of course, Curb Your Enthusiasm. Lots of great comedy has come our way, so saying one is the best ever, well, can’t really be done.

Comment by bobbie – December 3, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I second the vote for The Bob Newhart Show, and throw in a vote for Barney Miller.

Comment by Carol G – December 3, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Arrested Development but it doesn’t belong in the top 7 of an all-time list. 30 Rock definitely doesn’t belong here, I think that show is terrible. This list is not legitimate without I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Cosby Show, Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, Happy Days or All in the Family. In my opinion no modern sitcom can compete with the classic ones. Although, Seinfeld and Friends are probably the only m

Comment by Sammi – December 3, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (Accidentally posted before I was finished oops..) I meant Seinfeld and Friends are probably the only modern sitcoms that come close to the classics. Maybe there are more modern ones I’m missing that were great, but I generally consider the older ones to be better. Either way this list is totally wrong!

Comment by Sammi – December 3, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frasier, HIMYM, and Community for me. Also, Parks and Rec. I don’t really like any of the sitcoms on that list, to be honest. :|

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – December 3, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love Lucy. did nobody watch the Barbara Walters special before this years Emmy’s? HELLOOOOOOO

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 3, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends > Seinfeld

And it’s not even close.

Comment by Chalice – December 3, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends and Seinfeld? NO WAY. Those stinkers don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as I Love Lucy!

Comment by Alex – December 3, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kristen – December 3, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

Comment by bagladyboutique – December 3, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community.

Comment by Shashwat – December 3, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are BOSTON COMMON and YES, DEAR? How could they have been left out? Oh, the sacrilege!!!

Comment by BOOYA – December 3, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How on earth are “I Love Lucy” and “The Cosby Show” NOT on this list?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The top 6 Sitcoms of all time are!
    I Love Lucy
    The Cosby Show
    The Big Bang Theory
    Parks and Recreation
    Home Improvement
    Cheers

Comment by Nabil Mazidi – December 3, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Arrested Development”, “30 Rock”, “Seinfeld”, “The Office” & “Golden Girls” are my personal favorites. I don’t think “Friends” is good enough to make that list, though there were some very funny seasons.

Comment by Carrie – December 3, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samantha Who?! Best sitcom ever…

Comment by James – December 3, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like 60 Minutes has never been wrong…

Comment by snorts – December 3, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory!!!

Comment by Melissa – December 3, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would argue that The Dick Van Dyke Show is the gold standard for sitcoms, with an acknowledgement to M*A*S*H as being the show that best blended comedy with commentary.

Comment by Timothy McNeil – December 3, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Home Improvement is better than all of the shows on that list.

Comment by Steve – December 3, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we’re talking in terms of cultural impact, it’s between Seinfeld and Friends. Both have had an enormous impact on pop culture and have remained culturally relevant more than 10 years after going off the air. Seinfeld probably deserves the title because it spawned numerous catchphrases and characters that people still reference (yada yada yada, the soup nazi, master of your domain…) but in terms of quality, Friends was the superior show.

Comment by dude – December 3, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love Lucy
    MASH
    The Dick Van Dyke Show
    Newhart
    The Cosby Show

ALL better than Seinfeld, IMO.

Comment by suzi – December 3, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seinfeld was great but nothing, NO SHOW today or from the past or in the future will ever match the comedy that was I LOVE LUCY!

Comment by Bobby Milford – December 3, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion it is unquestionably Friends. I’ve seen every episode numerous times but still laugh every time and sometimes I cry. Friends had a heart that Seinfeld never managed. There was never a more poignant moment in sitcom history than when Monica proposed to Chandler. Friends will always be number one in my book.

Comment by Emily – December 3, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t anybody like everybody loves Raymond. If ur family isn’t like that, stop going to church u goody goodies

Comment by jon – December 3, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would you believe…Get Smart…

Comment by Scott – December 3, 2012 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another great show overlooked.

Comment by rr – December 3, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How are people honestly saying Big Bang Theory is even in the top 50 (maybe closer to 100) comedies of all-time… it’s not terrible but it is also wears out its welcome after about 10-15 episodes.

Comment by k – December 3, 2012 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kinda what I think about Friends and Seinfeld, but I could only take 3 or 4 of those.

Comment by rr – December 3, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Married With Children and King of Queens

Comment by David – December 3, 2012 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Friends made the list…the most overrated sitcom ever (that’s not currently playing on CBS). I like a lot of the suggestions but, for me, it’s hard to beat WKRP in Cincinnati.

Comment by Nate – December 3, 2012 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated Seinfeld. Not one character was likable or funny to me. I’d rather do math than watch that show.

Comment by mgbhighlander – December 3, 2012 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BAAHAHAHAH I Love LUCY??? How old are you? And Friends was on about 5 years too long. Seinfeld still makes me laugh, so I agree w/ this. Although I would say Cheers is a close 2nd. Those two on the same night was Must See TV!

Comment by Whatevah – December 4, 2012 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Old enough to know that the chocolate factory scene and Lucy doing the tango with eggs in her shirt are two of the best comedic scenes in tv history!! And honestly, Cheers?!?! Do they even show that on tv anymore??

Comment by Lynne – December 4, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends is awesome. Still funny!
    Add to the list
    Big Bang Theory
    How I Met Your Mother
    Family Ties
    Golden Girls
    Facts of Life
    The Cosby Show
    The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Comment by Jj – December 4, 2012 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why no love for Perfect Strangers? Seriously, I can watch that show all day. In the physical comedy realm, it is peerless.

Comment by TigerNightmare – December 4, 2012 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cosby Show.

Comment by jj – December 4, 2012 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is easily settled: Community! You’re welcome.

Comment by Michael – December 4, 2012 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna leave you with five simple words…

It’s Always Sunny in Phildelphia

Comment by Matt DF – December 4, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Roseanne… minus the last season

Comment by Frankieboy – December 4, 2012 04:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • M*A*SH
    All in the Family (surprised not to see this on this list!)
    I Love Lucy
    Community
    Arrested Development

Comment by digitalred93 – December 4, 2012 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must go with the majority here and say I LOVE LUCY!!! Even with me being 25 and watched the reruns with my Mum for as long as I can remember, I know that show was the best thing that ever made it to tv.
    Outside of that masterpiece, it is probably a tie between Friends and How I Met Your Mother. Longtime Friends fan and slowly getting into HIMYM.
    But Lucy takes the cake, no question about it.

Comment by Lynne – December 4, 2012 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WILL AND GRACE!!!

Comment by Line – December 4, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anybody realize that the US aren’t the only ones that make quality sitcoms. Where did the office come from? The British are pretty good. Then again I’m an Aussie so they might make me laugh in a different way. Also, The Drew Carey Show, which then brought us Whose Line is it Anyway. Not a sitcom, but bloody funny

Comment by jon – December 4, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with the statement on US not being the only ones that make quality “Are You Being Served” from England is 100 % better than Seinfeld. Love Miss Slocum

Comment by ebowers – December 4, 2012 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised no one has said Three’s Company, John Ritter was awesome in it. I also agree with everyone who said I Love Lucy. Married With Children and Fresh Prince of Bel Air were also great.

Comment by No one – December 4, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Married with children, Rosanne, Cheers and The Simpsons top my list

Comment by shad – December 4, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and That 70s Show

Comment by shad – December 4, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The Golden Girls”!!

Comment by Amaia – December 4, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love Lucy or The Dick Van Dyke Show or All in the Family. Seinfeld is one of the greatest, but it isn’t the greatest of all time. It won because younger generations (like me) voted and most of them do not watch old classics like I did when I was younger with my family (and still do) .

Comment by Jess – December 4, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Doesn’t anyone else remember The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show? It is the best!

Comment by Sam – December 4, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post