Is Seinfeld the Greatest Sitcom of All Time?

Seinfeld_Cast_300Seinfeld has been voted the greatest sitcom of all time — not that there’s anything wrong with that. Or is there?

In a poll conducted by 60 Minutes in tandem with Vanity Fair, the show about nothing edged out the classic comedy The Honeymooners with 22 percent of the vote. (Ralph, Alice & Co. received 20 percent.)

Trailing the two shows were Friends (16 percent), Cheers (14 percent), Arrested Development (7 percent), Mary Tyler Moore (6 percent) and 30 Rock (5 percent).

Do you agree with 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair poll results? Sound off in our poll!

1. AL says:

Family Ties.

2. Fernanda says:

There are another of my favorite sitcoms
    – The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    – Modern Family
    – I Dreamed of Jeannie
    – Third Rock from the Sun <—————–CLASSIC!!!
    – The Big Bang Theory <—- huge better than Two and a Half Men
    – Arrested Development
    – PRETTY LITTLE LIARS… HAHAHA "A" is soooo funny

3. pick says:

If I had a vote it would go to “The Wonder Years”

4. Babybop728 says:

There are so many good sitcoms… I have not seen Seinfeld (though my parents LOVE it) but Friends is my favorite show of all time. Arrested Development does secure my second favorite comedy show of all time, but I never really considered it to be a sitcom…

5. Eckhardt says:

The Simpsons. ‘Nuff said.

6. bobbie says:

there was the phil silvers show, and don’t forget the Dick Van Dyke show! The Bob Newhart show where he was a shrink was one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen. 30 Rock had me rofling as much as Seinfeld ever did. And of course, Curb Your Enthusiasm. Lots of great comedy has come our way, so saying one is the best ever, well, can’t really be done.

7. Carol G says:

I second the vote for The Bob Newhart Show, and throw in a vote for Barney Miller.

8. Sammi says:

I like Arrested Development but it doesn’t belong in the top 7 of an all-time list. 30 Rock definitely doesn’t belong here, I think that show is terrible. This list is not legitimate without I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Cosby Show, Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, Happy Days or All in the Family. In my opinion no modern sitcom can compete with the classic ones. Although, Seinfeld and Friends are probably the only m

• Sammi says:

(Accidentally posted before I was finished oops..) I meant Seinfeld and Friends are probably the only modern sitcoms that come close to the classics. Maybe there are more modern ones I’m missing that were great, but I generally consider the older ones to be better. Either way this list is totally wrong!

9. Little Scarf Girl says:

Frasier, HIMYM, and Community for me. Also, Parks and Rec. I don’t really like any of the sitcoms on that list, to be honest. :|

10. cjeffery7 says:

I Love Lucy. did nobody watch the Barbara Walters special before this years Emmy’s? HELLOOOOOOO

11. Chalice says:

Friends > Seinfeld

And it’s not even close.

12. Alex says:

Friends and Seinfeld? NO WAY. Those stinkers don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as I Love Lucy!

13. Kristen says:

I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY I LOVE LUCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Shashwat says:

Community.

15. BOOYA says:

Where are BOSTON COMMON and YES, DEAR? How could they have been left out? Oh, the sacrilege!!!

16. Nabil Mazidi says:

How on earth are “I Love Lucy” and “The Cosby Show” NOT on this list?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The top 6 Sitcoms of all time are!
    I Love Lucy
    The Cosby Show
    The Big Bang Theory
    Parks and Recreation
    Home Improvement
    Cheers

17. Carrie says:

“Arrested Development”, “30 Rock”, “Seinfeld”, “The Office” & “Golden Girls” are my personal favorites. I don’t think “Friends” is good enough to make that list, though there were some very funny seasons.

18. James says:

Samantha Who?! Best sitcom ever…

19. snorts says:

Like 60 Minutes has never been wrong…

20. Melissa says:

Big Bang Theory!!!

21. I would argue that The Dick Van Dyke Show is the gold standard for sitcoms, with an acknowledgement to M*A*S*H as being the show that best blended comedy with commentary.

22. Steve says:

Home Improvement is better than all of the shows on that list.

23. dude says:

If we’re talking in terms of cultural impact, it’s between Seinfeld and Friends. Both have had an enormous impact on pop culture and have remained culturally relevant more than 10 years after going off the air. Seinfeld probably deserves the title because it spawned numerous catchphrases and characters that people still reference (yada yada yada, the soup nazi, master of your domain…) but in terms of quality, Friends was the superior show.

24. suzi says:

I Love Lucy
    MASH
    The Dick Van Dyke Show
    Newhart
    The Cosby Show

ALL better than Seinfeld, IMO.

25. Seinfeld was great but nothing, NO SHOW today or from the past or in the future will ever match the comedy that was I LOVE LUCY!

26. Emily says:

In my opinion it is unquestionably Friends. I’ve seen every episode numerous times but still laugh every time and sometimes I cry. Friends had a heart that Seinfeld never managed. There was never a more poignant moment in sitcom history than when Monica proposed to Chandler. Friends will always be number one in my book.

27. jon says:

Doesn’t anybody like everybody loves Raymond. If ur family isn’t like that, stop going to church u goody goodies

28. Scott says:

Would you believe…Get Smart…

29. k says:

How are people honestly saying Big Bang Theory is even in the top 50 (maybe closer to 100) comedies of all-time… it’s not terrible but it is also wears out its welcome after about 10-15 episodes.

30. David says:

Married With Children and King of Queens

31. Nate says:

Can’t believe Friends made the list…the most overrated sitcom ever (that’s not currently playing on CBS). I like a lot of the suggestions but, for me, it’s hard to beat WKRP in Cincinnati.

32. mgbhighlander says:

I hated Seinfeld. Not one character was likable or funny to me. I’d rather do math than watch that show.

33. Whatevah says:

BAAHAHAHAH I Love LUCY??? How old are you? And Friends was on about 5 years too long. Seinfeld still makes me laugh, so I agree w/ this. Although I would say Cheers is a close 2nd. Those two on the same night was Must See TV!

• Lynne says:

Old enough to know that the chocolate factory scene and Lucy doing the tango with eggs in her shirt are two of the best comedic scenes in tv history!! And honestly, Cheers?!?! Do they even show that on tv anymore??

34. Jj says:

Friends is awesome. Still funny!
    Add to the list
    Big Bang Theory
    How I Met Your Mother
    Family Ties
    Golden Girls
    Facts of Life
    The Cosby Show
    The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

35. Why no love for Perfect Strangers? Seriously, I can watch that show all day. In the physical comedy realm, it is peerless.

36. jj says:

The Cosby Show.

37. Michael says:

This is easily settled: Community! You’re welcome.

38. Matt DF says:

I’m gonna leave you with five simple words…

It’s Always Sunny in Phildelphia

39. Frankieboy says:

Roseanne… minus the last season

40. digitalred93 says:

M*A*SH
    All in the Family (surprised not to see this on this list!)
    I Love Lucy
    Community
    Arrested Development

41. Lynne says:

I must go with the majority here and say I LOVE LUCY!!! Even with me being 25 and watched the reruns with my Mum for as long as I can remember, I know that show was the best thing that ever made it to tv.
    Outside of that masterpiece, it is probably a tie between Friends and How I Met Your Mother. Longtime Friends fan and slowly getting into HIMYM.
    But Lucy takes the cake, no question about it.

42. Line says:

WILL AND GRACE!!!

43. jon says:

Does anybody realize that the US aren’t the only ones that make quality sitcoms. Where did the office come from? The British are pretty good. Then again I’m an Aussie so they might make me laugh in a different way. Also, The Drew Carey Show, which then brought us Whose Line is it Anyway. Not a sitcom, but bloody funny

• ebowers says:

I agree with the statement on US not being the only ones that make quality “Are You Being Served” from England is 100 % better than Seinfeld. Love Miss Slocum

44. No one says:

I’m surprised no one has said Three’s Company, John Ritter was awesome in it. I also agree with everyone who said I Love Lucy. Married With Children and Fresh Prince of Bel Air were also great.

45. shad says:

Married with children, Rosanne, Cheers and The Simpsons top my list

46. shad says:

Oh and That 70s Show

47. Amaia says:

“The Golden Girls”!!

48. Jess says:

I Love Lucy or The Dick Van Dyke Show or All in the Family. Seinfeld is one of the greatest, but it isn’t the greatest of all time. It won because younger generations (like me) voted and most of them do not watch old classics like I did when I was younger with my family (and still do) .

49. Sam says:

Doesn’t anyone else remember The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show? It is the best!