How I Met Your Mother Recaplet: Robin Wants One Night With Barney – But Does He Want Her?

Lobster CrawlMonday night’s How I Met Your Mother found Robin having an epiphany: If she wants to get Barney out of her system once and for all, then she needs to get him “into [her] system one last time.” Despite their kiss last week and his subsequent declaration that he was done trying to get her, which certainly suggested that Barney still pines for his ex, this week Robin’s plan proves harder to accomplish than she expected. She surrounds herself with hot guys in an effort to make him jealous and dresses up as Angelina Jolie from Tomb Raider, but Barney still doesn’t make a single move toward her.

RELATED | TVLine’s Readers Give Thanks for HIMYM Couple and Much More!

Lily rightfully declares Robin’s plan crazy, but eventually steps in with an idea to use a little girl-on-girl flirtation to entice Barney. Proving that the new mom’s fixation on her pal isn’t just a figment of my imagination, Lily expects to be Robin’s partner in the scheme – did you notice the top showing off her pregnancy boobs? – and is visibly upset when Robin shows up with her co-worker Brandi, instead. Don’t fret, Lil – it doesn’t even work, and Barney ends up leaving the bar with Brandi… but he doesn’t sleep with her!

“I don’t think I want that,” he replies when Brandi basically asks him if he wants to have sex.

“I’m searching for what I really want in life, and I have absolutely no idea what that is,” he explains to his friends. “But I’m going to figure it out. I have to.”

Robin realizes that Barney “needs space and time” to do so. However, that doesn’t stop her from showing up at his place clad in lingerie and pretty much offering him a one-night-only event. It’s OK if he doesn’t know what he wants down the line, she says, as long as he knows what he wants right now (AKA her).

But then the story takes a twist as Barney reveals that he talked with Robin’s work nemesis, Patrice, after the Brandi incident — and now they’re on a date. What?! So Barney rejects Robin’s offer – did he see what she was wearing?! – and she leaves brokenhearted.

HIMYM fans, did Barney make the right choice? Are you shocked he managed not to dissolve into a pool of drool upon seeing Robin’s outfit(s)? And do you think Robin’s failure to get Barney out of her system is what ultimately leads to more than just a one-night-stand reconciliation?

1. Sandy says:

Its really been a bad season so far, I thought they turned a corner with last weeks episode but no tonight’s was just as awful.

• kyle says:

Agreed. A few good episodes, but more than a couple terrible ones this season. Tonight’s episode left me wanting to watch “The Playbook” instead, a vastly superior episode.

They really need to think about ending the show this season. It isn’t close to being as good as it used to be, which is unfortunate.

• April says:

I agree, I actually thought Robin and Barney would be together by now, the way they are going about getting them together is just Cringe worthy! They’ve also turned Ted into a needy wimp of a character, Lily is about the only one worth watching the show for now.

• Olivia says:

Last couple of seasons it was all about Barney, now it’s all about Marshall and Lily and Ted is a backgroud character, nothing new happens in his life, maybe scoring a bimbo, but nothing else. And Robin, I hope she doesn’t become a Blair ‘we’ll be together when it’s time’ Waldorf.

• Cloudy Knight says:

Since we know Ted meets the mother at (or immediately after) Barney and Robin’s wedding, that character is basically treading water. And while Marshall and Lily can have some wacky lawyering and parenting adventures, we know they’re together forever, so nothing too, too dramatic can happen there. Basically, the only thing of importance that can happen is Robin and Barney figuring out that they’re meant to be together. The producers have really painted themselves into a corner with all the flashforwards, and we’re paying the price with substandard episodes that do nothing to advance the central story. Doesn’t mean there can’t be laughs along the way, but they’ll have to do better than this episode if they want to get those laughs.

• jenna says:

I loved the direction the show was going in last season, with Bad News being one of my all time favourites. How the show has taken a turn for the worse I dont know :(

2. Sam says:

Robin is a total dufus. She thinks Barney would be interested in just a one night stand w/ her? Barney sadly interprets Robin’s behavior as she doesn’t want a relationship w/ him. The fact that he is going on an actual date w/ Patrice shows he has grown. I thought he would be doing it just to hurt Robin but it actually looks like he isn’t doing that.

3. April says:

4. Bre says:

Ugh. Can’t these two just get together already? Why are they dragging it out?

• Stacie says:

That’s the show. Dragging things out is their specialty. I mean it’s been 9 years and we don’t know who the mother is. That right there is the pure definition of dragging things out. But I do agree them not being together at this point is annoying because they are both single and there is no reason why they shouldn’t or can’t be together. I know they are both kind of damaged people in a lot of ways, but they need to either figure that out or be together, but they can’t do neither.

5. ollie says:

such a horrible episode. they need to just get ted and mother , robin barney togther already and stop dragging it out uhh.

6. TV Gord says:

I’ve been griping about this show for a couple of years, and a few episodes into this season, I finally decided I had had enough. It helps that they cancelled Partners, too, because now it frees up that hour to watch Bones live for me. I thought I’d miss it, but so far, I’m just relieved that I made the break.

• Olivia says:

Are you liking Bones this season? Since last season I’m not liking it and I stopped watching it after this season premiere.

• Jen says:

I agree with you about Bones Olivia, I’m still watching it, but not until the following weekend and it really feels like a chore. I just think they killed it by having Booth & Bones together. I know it’s what we all wanted, but i think it would have been better to have them get together in the last episode and end it there. Also I think Bones continued stupidity about anything not scientific is a bit much. It’s been years and she is now in a loving relationship, she should have a clue by now.

7. Billy bob says:

I wish all these himym haters would shut up. If you don’t like the show anymore, DON’T WATCH. Sick of all the complaints.

8. Ryan says:

Don’t you people know that styff in reqlal life doesn’t always happen right when you want it to? Relationships don’t just all of a sudden come to be every time… Oh hey you’re cute, were in love, lets get married. The end. If that was the case, every show would be over after 1 season.

9. Rebecca says:

The whole Barney-Robin thing just didn’t work in this episode. I felt they were acting very out of character for them.

• Little Scarf Girl says:

I’ve seen it suggested that maybe Barney is working an angel on this. They showed us all of Robin’s plays to get him back, but Barney is the master of the playbook. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had one last trick up his sleeve to get her to admit her feelings for him, and his robotic acting in this episode would make sense.

• Little Scarf Girl says:

And by angel and I mean angle.

• Hannah says:

I really, really hope that’s what they’re doing as I might be able to forgive this episode! I went on wiki and read the episode descriptions for the next few and you might be onto something… either that or I’m reading too much into it in a desperate effort to restore my faith in HIMYM. I love this show but the few good episodes we’ve had this season aren’t really breaking even with the not-so-good ones, which I think is a shame. I’m still hopeful that it will pick up, we’re only 8 episodes in…

10. Rachel says:

Marshall is the only one I still like. This episode ruined Robin for me, I felt like the way she went about it was just so out of character. I wish they would just start wrapping it up already.

11. Babybop says:

I haven’t been impressed with this season (or last season, for that matter) but I actually really liked this episode! The ending with Patrice was a little odd, but I laughed several times, and felt like all of the selfish/ridiculous hijinks were back to the way they were before they added all of the weird drama.
    I mean, not every episode can be The Perfect Cocktail…

12. Kenny North says:

How I Met Your Mother may very well end this season, since Neil Patrick Harris has supposedly expressed interest on this being his last season, so I have to agree I would’ve thought they’d have put Robin and Barney together. And it almost seems like the writers are taking advantage of the fact that people are going to keep watching because they have to reveal who the mother is soon, but what people would do is stop watching and then tune in when it seems the mother is going to show up. There’s better TV on Monday night anyway.

13. Mike says:

I actually enjoyed this episode for te most part, besides the part when they changed how lily and Marshall met for laughs, but I loved the scenes with Ted and Marvin, I even enjoyed the homage to the play book, women style, I also am a huge fan of Patrice so I am looking forward to see how this plays out, and I don’t think will have to wait much longer for a proposal, in guessing it will happy during the winter finale. I’m still an avid fan, even if its not as good as seasons past, as I’ve said before I’ll cope if this is the final season, but I’d prefer a proper farewell season, so they can properly prepare for the end, I just feel if they decide to end it this season, it will end up feeling rush, and I don’t want that for my favorite ensemble for the last 8 years.

14. A.B. says:

Yes this episode was blah but I actually am happy that they didn’t make it that easy for Robin to get with Barney. She needed to be embarrassed just like Barney has been. She’ll have to bethe one to make the grand gesture. Maybe she should prepose. Shoot Betrice would probably be good for Barney right now. But I doubt that they are actually dating.

15. A.B. says:

The way Barney acted about his burger and fries reminded me of the episode “Baby Talk” and how he wouldn’t share his ice cream after he couldn’t finish a challenge. The challenge of Robin maybe?

16. Tru says:

I don’t care either way. This show should have been canceled two maybe three years ago. Its another show that has live past its expiration date when it shouldn’t be

17. sand says:

a wedding between barney and patrice

18. sand says:

I’m tired of waiting ted’s wife

19. Myriam says:

and a spin-off based on the movie “school of scoundrels” with barney Stinson as teacher

20. ragincajun says:

The show as it is now should end the show this season. If CBS wants to keep it around, they should have Ted meet the mother in the series finale and spin him off into his own show next season where the focus would be on his dating, getting engaged, and marrying the mother. Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin could still appear occasionally, but the stars of the new shows would be Ted, the mother, and some new characters. They could call it – “Life’s a Mother”.

• SR says:

Can we just have Ted meet the mother and get it over with? No continuation, no spin-offs, I just don’t think the creative team have much left to offer with any of these characters and this story. Right now it’s just about treading water until the finale and filling in a few largely inconsequential blanks.

I think given the sort of mythology that’s been built up about the mother throughout the series, actually featuring her for any great length of time will probably end up being a massive let-down, all of that is better left to the imagination.

21. Ben says:

I really dislike what they’re doing with Robin this season and as much as I hate to admit it, because I really love the show, I’m finding myself getting bored. I’m still an avid fan, but it’s starting to remind me of how Scrubs went towards the end.

• SR says:

Oh massively. I think it’s followed a trajectory that is very common in sitcoms that last this long, from my point of view once you get past 2 or 3 seasons the characters and jokes start wearing thin; the writers start changing the characters and adding more soapy story elements to try and keep people interested. It’s particularly annoying when they start massively dragging out the “will they/won’t they” scenarios to try and inject some stale drama into proceedings, ie Ross & Rachel, JD & Elliott, Ted & Robin and latterly Barney & Robin. The twist with the Robin scenarios being that we knew (essentially having been told several times, as much as people tried to ignore it) that it’d never happen with Ted (which made the repeated re-visits to that one after they’d broken up even more annoying) and now we know it will happen with Barney, so even that tension has largely been non-existant.

22. Leena says:

Crappy episode or not, this show redeems itself for me when Robin yells at Patrice. Fricking hilarious.

23. Heather Rose says:

did anyone else notice that it seemed like Barney NEVER looked directly at robin the whole episode. like no eye contact. period. I am sure that will come into play later on if that is what was happening…

• A.B. says:

Yeah he never did. He’s heart broken. It’s probably like Ted said that after all their history they just can’t go back to being friends it won’t work. Insert Patrice who can be a friend to Barney until Robin realizes what she wants.

• Sam says:

I thought he gave her a couple of quick glances… in the laser tag when he teased her like he was about to kiss her then used her as a sheild. I think he also looked at her quickly when he was talking about taking Brandi to the WWN offices.

24. Stick a fork in this series is done/overdone/smelly rotting carcass.

Thankfully I DVR so I can skip the commercials and last night as soon as patrice showed up end and delete. They have half a season wrap it up folks and I thank yee for some good tv.

25. AlbTrex says:

This season sucks, And it’s a shame for such a great series… :(

26. They are dragging things out, which I understand… but when I get super frustrated with this show I always stop and say to myself: At least it’s not Gossip Girl.

27. Jane says:

I actually don’t think this season is too bad. At least its a lot better than last season, which I passionately hated… This episode was definitely weak, though. Each season, I (stupidly) think the mother is *finally* going to be revealed, and each I’m disappointed… Still, I can’t be too upset, since I’m just soooo glad they finally got rid of Quinn, even if that happened a while ago… ‘Bout time.

• Hannah says:

I actually think it might be better than last season too on the whole, although I’m sure last season had a few good episodes too (can’t think of any right now!) I think this one is marginally better. I’m definitely sticking around until the end.

28. rook says:

So, I know the show is called “How I Met Your Mother”, but I don’t understand why they don’t just introduce her and have it become a “How she came to be a wife and mother” kind of scenario. Are we really THAT hung up on semantics? They could do so much with that! I agree that it just seems like they’re killing time…

29. Terry says:

Talked to 4 people today that said they were giving up on the show. I vow to stick it out to the end, but it is getting tough.

30. B232B says:

I’m a big fan of the show, but not a fan of all the Barney and Robin stuff. However, with the way they neglect the “Ted” character, they should just go ahead and change the name of the show to “Barney and Robin”.

31. Nico says:

Not a huge fan of HIMYM nor do i watch it regurarly but I have a theory, we know Ted meets the mother after Robin and Barney’s wedding. but I have a few thoughts about that.

My thoery is that Ted meets the mother has his kids but ends up with Robin at the end of the series and here’s my rational. All of the following could be wrong and if my theory is wrong beacuse of somthing that has been said please corret me

Robin can’t be the mother beacause she can’t have kids but that doesn’t mean she can’t be with ted. To my knowledge there has been no mention that Future Ted is still married to the mother of his children ( could be wrong) nor do we have any indication that Robin and Barney stay married for an extended period of time (could be wrong again) Also if ted was still married to the mother why would he be taking the time to tell his children alone, isn’t that somthing that is better done with both parents, why would a father sit his kids down to tell them how he met thier mother if she was still in the picture? mabye it’s just my view but seriously, this series has been so long winded despite a strait forward premise that the ending has to be a twist otherwise this show’s story could have been told in 2-4 seasons tops

Again if my Theory is wrong please tell my why. postulating endings for this show is a bit of a hobby. .

• misha says:

in the first episode future ted refers to her as ‘aunt robin,’ interesting theory but I doubt you would call your stepmother aunt

32. christy says:

I only watch the show for Robin and Barney at this point. I remember when Marshall was supposed to be some kind of bad ass and Lily was funny. It seems to be following a formula: one chick sleeps with all the guys except ‘serious couple guy’ , which guy gets the chick that is sleeping with the guys in the group, serious couple starts breeding, end of show a la Friends. The only reason Lily has not outright had Marshall surgically neutered is to have more kids. I wish they wouldnt have wussed Marshall up so much or made Lily so baby crazy. Ted just seems like an afterthought, I always found him whiny, annoying and verbose , this season he is even more so. And I wouldnt be surprised if Barney is running a play on Robin……

33. bobbeh says:

I love How I Met Your Mother than Friends. Thanks to Barney!!!

34. Kelly says:

LOL it’s funny because that’s exactly what I did and what happened to the offer. Rejected. *sad face*

Ofc I hadn’t seen this ep. but after all the eps I saw, I am definitely a Robin xD

35. lala says:

This show sucks, robin & ted should be the finale, robin & barney would be stupid…