Castle Recap: Homicide for the Holidays

STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLIONThis week on Castle, fans were gifted with the ABC series’ first-ever Christmas episode — but would Rick find Kate under his tree?

HOME ALONE | Christmas apparently is a huge — huge — thing for Rick, and as such he’s crestfallen to learn that both Alexis and Martha have broken tradition by making other plans for Christmas Eve. After venting to Beckett, he confirms that she is still on board to ring in the holiday with him. She tentatively nods, but stresses: “No presents. It’s too stressful for the first year” as a couple.

The pair’s planning is interrupted by their arrival at the crime scene, where a Santa-suited man “named” Kris Kringle took a fatal fall from… the sky?… onto the snowy Central Park lawn. We soon after realize that another 12th precinct duo might break with holiday tradition. “You, me, a six-pack and Madden on the big screen TV?” Esposito asks. But Ryan is detached, muttering that he thinks Jenny has other plans (that we later see may involve a “naughty Santa” outfit). Javy and his cologne then feel out Lanie, but she is going out with some gal pals — and frankly the ritual of a “sad holiday hook-up” makes her sad. But after the 25th, she sweetly offers, “Gimme a call.”

“Santa” is revealed to be Edmond Smith, a onetime private equity firm exec who used to pull a half-mil salary but quit that job, walked out on his wife (24‘s Leslie Hope) and sought a simpler life. Most recently, he tried to help his neighbor Beth (Eureka‘s Tembi Locke) and her son get back a home they lost to a ruthless bank. We proceed to follow several false leads including, as is tradition with Dead Santa storylines, a rival rent-a-Kringle. In the end — and my gift to you is cutting to the chase here, since the case was a bit of a lump of coal — it was the conspicuously guest-cast ex-wife who was at risk of losing her largesse if Edmond’s swindling past came to light.

HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS | Back home, Castle beseeches Alexis to not set a “grim precedent” and instead stick with tradition, until he gleans that her plans are not with not friends plural but a friend — and not just a friend. And introducing a new beau to Dad on Christmas Eve is too much pressure. “Besides, you’ll be with Beckett!” she reminds. Or will he? Coming off of Rick’s latest promise of holiday revelry (including “a Christmas movie marathon… or some other kind of marathon that makes life wonderful”), Kate reveals that due to a short-staffed precinct, she pulled Christmas Eve duty. But when Rick later prompts Gates to give Kate the night off, the captain says that Beckett offered to work the holiday.

Rick confronts Kate: “If you’re not ready, why not tell me?” She explains that the holiday means different things to her, that in the wake of her mother’s death, she and her dad “put Christmas away forever.” So her tradition — which somehow never was shared with Rick in any of the show’s four off-camera Christmases — is to “keep watch” while her fellow cops with families spend time at home. “It’s as important as your tradition is to you,” she says. “I understand,” Rick warmly responds.

IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE | After cracking the case, Castle and Beckett find themselves under a mistletoe at the precinct, but instead of kiss just wish each other a Merry Christmas. Espo, meanwhile, asks Ryan, “Shouldn’t you be at home stuffing your wife’s stocking?” Ryan opens up that Jenny wants to start a family, but laying witness to the cruel world as he does on a daily basis, he’s torn. “The world’s always falling apart,” Javy says. “Family is what keeps it together. So go home, make a baby.” Esposito himself then gets plans when he returns a stolen family heirloom to Beth, and she invites him to share Christmas Eve with her and her son.

Back at his own home, Castle discovers that both Martha and STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLIONAlexis nixed their plans to keep their tradition alive — except now it’s he who’s bailing. “There’s somewhere I need to be,” Rick says, as he rises from the table and goes to leave for the precinct… only to find Kate outside his door. “I was just coming to see you,” they say in unison. Beckett comes in, admires the gleaming Castle Christmas decor, and this time they punctuate their holiday greeting with a kiss. Castle then confirms, “I didn’t get you anything.”

What?”

What did you think of Castle‘s first Christmas, and Rick and Kate’s first holiday together?

1. Irish Man 12 says:

A lot of showrunners could learn a thing or 2 (or 20) from Andrew Marlowe.
    This season just keeps getting better.

• Kim R says:

Ditto. :)

• Jenny says:

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

• davej says:

I don’t know enough about making TV shows to tell you why, but I totally agree. The show and the ending were predictable and yet I still choked up a little when Kate was at Rick’s door at the end.

Other than the Hamptons episode, this season has been phenomenal. I think this show has found a way to make Caskett more fun than them being single oe with other people.

I hope they keep Caskett together – I don’t mind a fight or two, but nothing extreme. I also was looknig forward to Javy and Lanie getting back together, but that might have gotten de-railed.

I can already see Kate and Castle as godparents for Ryan’s baby.

2. Becks says:

Am I the only one who felt like it was kind of a let down? I mean the ending at Castle’s was cute, but it was only about 20 seconds long.

• martina says:

It was! The episode motif had a lot of potential, but I don’t feel like it was squeezed as much as it could. I didn’t see as much romance as I expected to, and on top of that the case was pretty weak.

• Guest says:

I felt the same. Soo much potential and then a bit of a let down. Cute moments could have been cuter, the story was far fetched. The cpt. was the funniest person. Nathan and Stana are doing a good job tough. I guess expectations were too high.

• Itsme says:

I totally agree w you

• Templar says:

IMO the return of the clock to the owners would not have been possible in that short time. Returns from evidence take weeks/months/years.

• M3rc Nate says:

Yup. per usual, the weak points of this episode are (shocker) the procedural aspects. Some Santa was killed because……blah, i dont care, i dont believe it. Its boring, i dont care who did it or whos innocent or why. Its straight up fast forward junk you skip when watching it a second time on DVD. The “Good” parts everyone loves are the character interactions! and like you said, all in all there was probably 30-60 seconds worth of characters in this episode.

Also not really looking forward to w/e Kate is talking about in the next episode promo when she says “your not the man i thought you were”. Maybe its too soon and i should endure, but its getting old, the one sided-ness of the relationship. This playboy has totally changed his stripes, says he loves you, is sweet, thoughtful, loyal, etc…and she is always questioning him, if they should be together, she hasnt said i love you yet, straight up lying to him (this ep, about cant go to night-before-Christmas dinner) and not only was it a lie, but she wasnt emotionally open enough and trusting enough to just come out and tell him about her Christmas tradition and why she has it. If anyone is to doubt the relationship, it should be Castle. Beckett has a fantastic boyfriend who is doing everything right.

Let alone i was taken out of the “realism” where she is interrogating suspects at their place of work…where there is no recording system or cameras, so even if they confess or let something slip…its all on the Detectives word that they confessed or slipped up? I think the reason they have and use recording equipment in the interrogation room is cause recorded evidence of the conversations is required. Hence why cops bring everyone “downtown” to their interrogation rooms.

• Becks says:

Agreed! All in all I’ve loved this season and have had few complaints, but the case to character ratio has gotten a little out of whack. In earlier seasons it made sense for the bulk of the episode to be focused on the case, because Castle and Beckett weren’t seeing each other outside of work. But now that they are…it’d be great if they could eliminate one “twist” or suspect in the case in favor of an extra 2 minutes of character interaction outside the precinct.

I agree about Kate too; it’s believable that she isn’t as available emotionally yet as Castle is, but the amount of comments she’s made this season about Castle still being a player is getting ridiculous. It’s to the point where almost every episode she has some moment of insecurity about him and other women. I mean, c’mon she knows how much he loves her, it’s time for the writers to move past that. Like you said, it’s making the relationship too one-sided.

• Shaun says:

Probly doesn’t mean cheating on her…..probly just saying he did something she never thought he’d do.

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh no i know, the promo made it out to look like something to do with his ex wife, but who knows. Im sure overall its a big misunderstanding, but i cant say more cause the line could be about many things.

3. I loved the episode , but the lack of passion in Castle and Beckett kisses and their scenes in general is killing me. And the last scene with Esposito was a waste of time, I need more caskett.

• M3rc Nate says:

I dont think it was a waste of time, they were showing what everyone was doing on Christmas and Esposito was the one with no plans. The thing i found odd is i think a NYC cop of all people would know if you dont have plans/family, where to volunteer your time at a soup kitchen or christmas dinner for homeless kids or something.

As for their kisses…i dont disagree. I havent noticed it in particular on Castle but i notice it on a lot of other shows…that they do pecks and weak kisses when supposedly these 2 people have such intense chemistry…esp Castle and Beckett who are supposedly very sexual, you’d think there be more “planting one on her” passionate kissing.

4. ollie says:

liked the family trouble for gates. and loved the christmas remake on the opening credits. the case didnt bother me thought it was sweet he was trying to right his wrongs and it fit for a christmas episode. i would have loved to see what caskett would have got each other if she didnt say no to gifting.

• ollie says:

and i laughed when espoisto did the dance while holding the naughty santa outfit and gates caught him and made the hoochie coochie crack

• M3rc Nate says:

First time i have ever liked Gates is cause of the family trouble for Gates. I get that her character is cold, but they replaced a amazing character that was truly apart of the Castle family (major history with Beckett, Friend of Castles family and poker buddy, etc) to a very 2 dimensional cold woman boss who wants to be called “sir”. I respect the death for the story, but so far it seems they just filled Montgomery’s spot with a seat filler. Also sad because she is a amazing actress so they could give her a real, 3 dimensional, deep character and she could hold her own.

• Christy says:

I did not expect him to not get her anything. Everyone knows a woman never means that! And when has he EVER listened to her. Lucky Stiff comes to mind and she was OK with that.
      Gates family drama was Hilarious!!! Esp when she told Beckett to ignore any homicide calls from her address. I think they are starting to make her more a part of the team like Montgomery was. She still has a LONG way to got to reach Montgomery territory but it’s a start.

5. Mari says:

I loved it! Such a cute episode. I’m just sad that we’re gonna have to wait till next year for a new one.

6. Kate says:

I loved it! Andrew Marlowe is pretty smart. Putting Castle and Beckett together, but still managing to have us wait for and get excited about Caskett moments keeps things interesting. I know some are saying there aren’t enough of them, but I think they’re doing a great job of keeping the mystery alive and that everyone just needs to enjoy the ride. And just how amazing was Castle’s loft?

• Darlene says:

I totally agree, but I really do hope that the writers move past Beckett being insecure. This relationship Caskett is in should have made her stronger and not so questioning. The subtle smiles are wonderful to see, and maybe, a little more Caskett time, afterall, that is what we want is it not? Overall, this was a great episode, hats off to the whole Castle Team. 2013 seems way too far away to see them again.

7. Steph says:

I absolutely adore this episode. Thank you, Andrew Marlowe.

8. Andrea says:

I really enjoyed it! Each cast member had their own little moments to shine. And the end was so cute and sweet! I have to say, the Castle art department is one of the best! Those decorations were gorgeous!

• Maria says:

Couldn´t agree more! I loved it, and one of the reasons was because we got to see a little more of each cast member (Gates with her mother-in-law had me laughing all the time)!

9. Teri says:

Generally liked it. Could have been a more passionate kiss and that mistletoe…come on just kiss, it’s Christmas. Only other thing I found strange was the very giving Richard Castle didn’t buy Kate a gift???

• martina says:

She asked him not to, and he obeyed. Actually that’s a very Richard Castle thing to do, you know? He loves her and respects her enough to do a she likes!

• Blake says:

I understood them not kissing there, due to members of the department seeing them, especially Gates, but one of their romantic, caring handshakes would have been nice to have.

10. James says:

I loved it. Marlowe never disappoints, i liked that we got a glimpse of Espo and Lannie rekindling, I loved the messeage of freinds and family it sent which is what christmas should be about. While I am aching for more Caskett moments like ones that last more than thirty seconds, i will admit i do enjoy the tease, I like that marlowe is sort building the two up as a couple slowly but shirley. the case itself was good, nice idea of redemption.

with that said the d-bag in me is starting to get tired of Becketts obsesion with her mom. i’m sorry she’s dead that sucks, and i understand that it has molded her in to who she is, but you can’t let it define you, she’s gone and not coming back, get on with your life, enjoy it because you only get one. at least at the end she caved which is a good sign. I know i’m a total jerk for saying it, but i can’t be the only one thinking it.

• Guppy says:

I totally agree with you James about Beckett’s obsession with her mom. She has to know that the way to honor her mom is to live life to the fullest. Maybe she needs more therapy. I love love love Caskett but really sometimes I think Castle is a saint for what he deals with.

• mco says:

I agree with you about Kate obsession with her mom. However I put it on Lazy writing. Things like “Why Beckett wouldn’t want to spent Christmas at Castles ?”. “Let’s say it’s about her mom”.
      You could have a lot of reason. And Not being ready was a valid one, after all there relationship is still recent enough that spending a family holyday together could be “too much, too soon”. You could find plenty of valid excuses. If they took the time to think about it.
      But with Beckett, they use the easy way more and more and explain almost everything with her mother death. Friom this Christmas to her soap tastes or her ability to cook breakfast, among other things, it come back to “My mom”. I am at the point I roll my eyes everytime she starts a sentence with “My mother”.
      Was it too hard to say that she knew how the suit could go in Season 4 was because her father still is a lawyer ? Was it too hard to say that she loves to cook breakfast because it remind her of her grandmother ? Was it too hard to say that she loved Temptatation Lane because her college best friend and She spent nights making fun of it ? (it’s just a few not so good examples. Contrary to the people who write the show, I am not paid to spent my time trying to valids originals and plausible excuses)
      They need to stir away from the MOM thing. Beckett is way more than her mother. We had glimpses of that. They seems to me a little to lazy to try to find another things than Johanna Beckett.

• leigh says:

To some people their mothers are very important. To have them taken away like Johanna was leaves a hole to fill. I don’t have any problem with her constantly saying things she does or doesn’t do are related to her mother and their traditions. Remember people: this entire series has had ties to Johanna Beckett’s murder. To just throw it away now that Castle and Beckett are together would be lazy writing.

• mco says:

I don’t want them to throw it away completly. Only to use it less often. Losing a parent is very important and can shape a person. However no one is the sum of that their parents did or didn’t do with or for them.
          Kate, as any other person, has to have some interests and liking (or disliking) that has no link with her mother. We already knows that. However, the more we advance on the show and the more they use the “mom card”.
          THe issue is, while in this episode, I agree it was very well used, you can’t help but thing “and once again, we come back to Johanna *rolled eye*.
          If they didn’t use “the mom card” for non-important things (like Breakfast, knowing how some lawyer can work a case etc etc), the story behind Kate’s tradition for christmas would have been way more important.
          IMO, using Johanna for almost everything make that connection less important in the end.

• James says:

I think that’s a very valid point. Yes Loosing a parent is a life defining moment, but that doesn’t mean it can define you as a person, and i agree if they reserved their usage of that story arc a little more it would be much more effective, but the way it is now is like running in circles their has got to be some growth or the character will become stagnant, and also bring down Castle’s character as well because he’s always going “it’s ok i understand.” their’s got to be some sort of progress with her on an emotional level because other wise the two aren’t in a relationship they’re just fooling around. it’s good to see that she caved at the end, but with most of the episode going on about her mother it didn’t seem as believable.

On a related note I really hope they get into Castle’s dad this season it would round out his character a lot.

• KDM says:

I think people who think she used it as an excuse missed the point. By bringing up the fact that she works on Christmas to honor her mother and her subsequently changing her mind means she is doing exactly what everyone says she should do which is to choose to live. We’ll likely get more scenarios where she has to choose to between ‘honoring her mother’ and living until she realizes choosing to live and choosing happiness is what will TRULY honors her mother.

11. DarkDefender says:

The murdered Santa arc was a clunker.. I just didn’t find it Claus-able… To coin the Castle phrase. But still a cute overall Epi in an incredible season. :)

12. luli says:

i was expecting an i love you from kate or something… still liked the episode, but not my favorite.

13. Luu says:

I love this show because it isn’t all about Rick and Kate. It’s about all the characters and the murder. The Castle/Beckett Christmas scene should’ve been a little longer, I agree, but it was the most adorable scene of all Castle’s episodes. So I really am insanely happy.

14. Ana says:

I loved this episode so much that I can’t erase it from my DVR. Must watch again. The end actually made me tear up…

15. Russ says:

I’ve been watching since the first season, but have been getting bored with it. This started half way through last season. I think the character growth might be to slow, not sure I just find it kinda bland. If it doesn’t peak my interest with the remaining episodes this will be my last season.

16. Kim says:

I love this show but sincerely wish they would dial up the Caskett heat a bit. Too much case and not enough of the parts that make this show extraordinary.

• andrea says:

I agree. He put them together but we only get about 10 seconds an episode of them being together. The hottest moment we had was last season when they finally went to bed together. They have kissed like three times in the last 5 episodes. I don’t want them to go completly romance arc – it is a cop show but c’mon. We waited years – give us some good caskett stuff

17. siskaaw says:

I do loved this episode, there is still funny side and i still am waiting for that three word come out from Kate Castle and Beckett time together not that much. About the case actually i want more from the show. Something like Setup episode.
    And there is Santa Claus after all.

18. Carmen says:

I have read most of the comments and I know where each of you are coming from but as much as I like to see more Caskett, I think it was a very solid episode and it certainly bought out what Christmas means – and that is whatever makes you happy!! Whether that is spending time with family and friends, helping others or just being a ‘giver’!
    To me the case was predictable but it fitted nicely for a Christmas episode and the messages it had!
    Well done to Andrew Marlow – very well written!
    Oh one last thing – some of you had commented on steering away from the ‘Mom’ thing but I think it fits with peeling the Becklett layers so I sort of don’t mind it being used! But each to their own. :-)

• Maria says:

IMO, if there´s a time when Kate would remember and miss her mother the most is at Christmas… so, it wouldn´t be truthfull if the writters didnt´t bring it along…

• John says:

But the implausible part would be Castle not having run into her Christmas work pattern the previous four years… It’s not like he was oblivious to the woman until this year and wouldn’t have noticed what she did, or did not do, for the holidays.

19. telly says:

Esposito was adorable :)

20. Lisa says:

A little bit if a let down Caskett wise, but still a good ep that fits in nicely with this great season.

And to those who say Rick is a saint, AMEN!!

21. lariet50 says:

Is it weird that in the scene at the end with Castle, Martha and Alexis, I was totally distracted by wondering where they got that necklace Susan Sullivan was wearing?

• Andrea says:

I noticed the necklace too, more so on my rewatch. Luke does a really nice job with dressing Martha.

• delani says:

There is that NECKLACE again! At the end of the newest episode (s6ep20), Castle’s mom (Susan Sullivan) was wearing the same one she had on at the end of the Christmas episode last year. Stunning! How do we find out where they got that? I want one!

• delani says:

There is that NECKLACE again! At the end of this newest (s6ep20, Castle’s mom (Susan Sullivan) was wearing the same one she had on at the end of the Christmas episode last year. Stunning! How do we find out where they got that? I want one

22. Lauren says:

I loved this episode and thought it was beautifully done. And I actually thought that, despite some other comments, Beckett’s Christmas-tradition storyline was entireyl believable. We’ve come to know Beckett and what’s important to her throughout the four plus seasons, and paying tribute to her mom is *very* important to her. That being said, I think she also realizes that not everyone understands her devotion to that subject, and knowing how important Christmas is to Castle, she probably wasn’t sure whether he truly *would* understand her need to spend Christmas Eve working — hence her hesitation in telling him the “real” reason she had to spend that night at the precinct. I think what was especially nice to me is that, when Castle found out, he didn’t pout like a kid: He showed her he loved her by making her a very special cup of coffee (awwww, so cute!), and talking through it calmly. It was a very sweet moment, and I really appreciated it. And the fact that both of them ultimately decided to change their plans to accommodate the other–I thought that was very touching. ;-)

• Tom says:

I’m too lazy to go back and look at past episodes, but it left me wondering whether Beckett held to this “tradition” of working Christmas eve when she was dating the cop and/or the doctor? Yeah it was a nice moment, but I wonder if the continuity holds up.

23. Tom says:

I would have replied sooner, but I was in a diabetic coma. A little too much sugar in that episode. All-in-all it was a good Christmas episode. I applaud Marlowe for doing the best job I have ever seen of managing a lead character romantic relationship without substantially disrupting the original premise of the show. But sooner or later Marlowe has to explore, in greater depth, the Caskett relationship. A quickie romantic scene here and there really doesn’t meet the potential for character evolution. A Christmas episode would have been a great opportunity to focus more on the personal side of the Caskett relationship. So while it was a fine episode, I also think it was a missed opportunity. Can Beckett and Castle survive for an hour together without a murder? I think Marlowe needs to address that issue to keep this relationship believable.

24. Lilu says:

the ep was cool, could have been better. still love castle and beckett together, we could get more kissing though….

25. 117 says:

why were the ratings so low..?..is december a time when all ratings go low?..cause most of em dropped….I loved the episode!…very cute caskett moments

26. lame says:

Good episode, not great. I guess I’m waiting for the story that mixes a truly romantic plot for our DD interlaced with a mindless threatening murderer at large. A story that will show the love between Caskett while involve in stopping total mayhem.

27. Nathan Fillion had his Christmas episode, while Summer Glau has her Christmas movie on The Hallmark Channel, premiering on Sunday, December 9 at 8pm.

28. John says:

Perhaps “lead-ins” simply make for a bigger target? Easier to remember a couple of hours rather than keep an eye on the clock for when it starts to approach 10? ‘Course the solution to that is a programmed dvr. Never miss anything and when I walk in “in the middle” of a broadcast I still get to watch it from the start.

29. Rob says:

I just wish Kate could sometimes have *some* motivation other than her mother’s death. That whole aspect felt so telegraphed. Could there not have been any other reason that she wasn’t ready to celebrate Christmas with Castle? I know that her mother had a huge impact on her, but dramatically, at this point, it’s feeling repetitive and too easy. At the very least, why the need to hide the reason behind it other than some manufactured conflict between her and Castle? She could have just told him right off the bat that this is yet another case of her mom’s death affecting her life…but then we wouldn’t have had the 20,000th Kate-speaks-about-her-mom-and-the-aftermath-of-her-death-reverentially-while-Castle-looks-on-concerned scene. Other than that, a pretty good episode.

30. Katie Hart says:

Thanks for mentioning the actress who played the neighbor mom was from Eureka – I was racking my brain trying to remember where I knew her from!

It was an okay episode, but really paled in comparison to Castle’s outstanding Halloween holiday episodes.

31. Yvette says:

To me it was a great episode, especially about the relationship. Even though you think you may be in the best of relationships. Once you have past issues which you have not come to terms with, it does affect your relationship. I sometimes feel like Kate. I am in a solid relationship and my better half seems to do most of the work – he’s my Castle. He is understanding with all my insecurities and gives me space to work through them.
    Andrew Marlow and his team really capture true feelings and the spirit of Christmas. And who doesn’t like a good mystery during the Christmas season. Poor Santa! However, they captured the bad gal.

32. Teri says:

So many deep moments for Caskett to move their relationship forward. Wish there would have been a mistletoe kiss and a gift exchange, but I love everything about this show and think the powers that be are handling things very well. My real hope is that they will turn up the Caskett heat in the second half of this season.

33. Maty says:

I understand we get a few Caskett moments not to overdo but would it kill them to make them hot at least every other episode? 2 second pecks is all we get after years of Caskett longing. They can’t show affection at work so I expected they would be all over each other when they are off work.

• mco says:

You, and a lot of other ones, forget that it’s on network channel.
      After the storm were already on some radar because they were in the same bed when they never even kissed. They just implied they had sex!
      Blame networks rules and oversensitivity toward the subject, But I can understand why they won’t show us Castle and Beckett all hot.

34. CarlagUK says:

I do get irritated by the constant remarks about the lack of ‘Caskett’ moments. I thought the episode was seasonal and sweet. The case was poor but for the first time we were allowed to see how our favourite people shared their Christmases. OK I was a little surprised to find that Beckett’s traditional Christmas had never been shared between the two of them before but we have to remember the ‘Beckett onion and its many layers. We are now seeing her open up a little more and offer more of herself to this man with whom she is obviously falling deeply in love.. We have never seen this side of her before and it is a slow burn that I personally love to watch. Andrew Marlowe has most definitely got this right. We have some 14 more episodes to watch this relationship develop whilst remembering that this is essentially a Crime Drama and that their are other characters who have arcs to develop. Of course I love the romantic angle that we are now being rewarded with but it isn’t the be all and end all of the show. On a romantic note, I would have loved to see Castle and Beckett shake hands under that mistletoe, knowing what handshakes have meant for them in the past. Otherwise hats off to Mr Marlowe again for keeping their relationship reasonably grounded and real as we move forward. I look forward to what he has in store for us in the New Year.

35. Guest says:

Would a kiss on the cheeck under the mistletoe have been too much to ask?