Revenge's Gabriel Mann on 'Major' Exit(s), Trust Issues and 'Unapologetic' Bisexual Love Triangle

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Revenge Season 2 SpoilersRevenges 2012 run comes to a close this Sunday (ABC, 9/8c), and in true Hamptons fashion, it’s going out with a bang — and possibly even a body!

Here, scene-stealer Gabriel Mann chats with TVLine about who’ll soon make an “unceremonious exit” from the addictive drama and what the return of scorned ex Marco means for Nolan and his current ladylove. The fan fave also shares scoop on Revenge‘s much-anticipated 13th episode (airing in early 2013) — an installment bound to be both “shocking” and deadly.

TVLINE | What kind of fun awaits Nolan & Co. in the winter finale?
I hope — in the new world of Season 2 — that Nolan is as fun as last year, because things have taken a decidedly serious turn. [Laughs] It’s been really interesting because it’s the unexplored side of this character and at this point it’s about finding the balance of where these two sides of this personality meet. Just generally there’s a very dark, ominous tone to the season — not that we haven’t always had body counts on the agenda. But as the world of Revenge has expanded into the repercussions of all of Emily’s actions from last year, things get more complicated. As a result, we’ve reached our fingers out into a lot of places and now, as [series creator] Mike Kelley does so well, it’s about taking those things and weaving them back together in a classically Revenge-y way — which has been super, super fun… The last three or four episodes [we've shot] are pretty fantastic. From the Nolan perspective, it’s been [discovering] what it means to not have his right-hand [Emily] next to him at all times, and what he does in the interim. It’s been so fun to [see him] get a little bit into the Grayson world with Daniel and where that continues to go.

RELATED | Revenge‘s Madeleine Stowe on Rising Death Toll and the Initiative’s Big Plan

TVLINE | It seems as though someone might not make it out of this week’s installment alive.
It’s always hard to tell with this show if it’s a permanent exit, but we will see one of our major characters have an unceremonious exit from the Hamptons — and I will not even begin to hint at who that is. [Laughs] Things will get decidedly more complicated with Nolan and his past, and Aiden’s story starts to put some serious question marks in a number of characters’ minds. We will also see the return of a triangle, but maybe with not the same characters that we’ve seen before — that’s not even mentioning Nolan‘s potential triangle.

TVLINE | Talk a little about Marco’s sudden return and what it might mean for Nolan’s relationship with Padma.
GABRIEL MANN, DILSHAD VADSARIANolan doesn’t necessarily have any idea what to do in a situation like that. Quick with a quip as he is, this may be even a little bit too much for him to handle. Though I’d like to think he always has five irons in the fire. [Laughs] He’s used to dealing with psychos one-on-one, but you start to dog-pile him and his reactions take a really interesting turn. I love the concept of a very complicated bisexual love triangle that is unapologetic — and that’s exactly what this is. And dramatically, it’s very fun to play with. It will take an episode or two to figure out some of Marco’s motivations. Their relationship ended in a painful way, so any kind of reemergence would be semi-unwelcome at this point…. The way we are introduced to [Marco's return], I don’t think we’ll be able to wrap that up in a bow — or if we do it will be a tattered and really messy bow. [Laughs] On the other hand, Nolan feels pleased and maybe a little excited dealing with someone who is looking out for his best interest in Padma’s character. But it’s not going to be easy. It’s actually incredibly complicated with Padma, Nolan and Marco.

PHOTOS | Revenge Hot Shots: Baby Carl’s Christening Brings Out All the Hamptons Schemers

TVLINE | I have to ask: Do you see Nolan having a breaking point when it comes to Emily? She’s been increasingly mean to him this season despite all he does for her.
It’s an interesting question because I think it really starts to explore the boundaries of his patience and what his psychology is really about. At this point, everything that his character has done has really been in service to the Clarke family — both David and Emily — even just in terms of his willingness to sacrifice his company to continue to protect her and keep her safe. That said, it is hard to figure out the long game in this. But I would say even up until now, where we are in Season 2, his intentions and affiliations with her are being tested for sure. There’s definitely some jealousy there with Aiden. I mean, Emily’s new friend decided to choke him out upon their first meeting, which is probably not a great introduction for Nolan. [Laughs] To a certain point, I feel like his alliance is still with her.
As to whether that will continue to change, I would expect yes — in fact, I would assume yes. That said, being that he is one of the holders of her secret and has kept his mouth shut for this long is a good indicator that he may be able to keep it shut for a little bit longer. But given some extenuating dramatic circumstances, he may be pushed a little bit when it comes to that issue…

TVLINE | Madeleine Stowe recently told us that more than one person might die when the Amanda goes down in Episode 13. What are your thoughts on the forthcoming game-changer?
I would say that there could be any number of bodies — we certainly have enough established characters at this point. And the Amanda‘s a medium-sized craft, so I think she could handle any number of passengers. [Laughs] It’s actually going to be quite shocking. I have heard the rumors of at least one of the people who may be on that boat and all I can say is that we are in desperate talks to try and change that — even though that person is happy with it because in a sense you have to go big on a show like this. I’m really interested to see how that plays out and who truly does end up on the boat. As I’ve said in interviews before, it could always be me, too! [Laughs] I just want a heads up to mentally and psychologically prepare myself if it is. As of right now, being that Nolan has had too much to deal with in his office and hasn’t spent as much time in the Stowaway, I’m hoping I get to avoid that. But I’m sure Mike could find a way to get me on that boat if he wanted to. [Laughs]

The new Spoiler Alert! discusses Revenge, Walking Dead, Scandal and More!

Comments (79)

• Please be Declan….please be Declan….please be Declan….

Comment by Dr. Bombay – December 2, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha yea his storyline is getting tiresome

Comment by Phi – December 2, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • GETTING tiresome? He’s been annoying me from the moment his character first stepped into a scene.

Comment by SAM – December 2, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto.

Comment by Margie – December 2, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded, thirded and fourthed.

Comment by ChrisGa – December 2, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS

Comment by Lydia – December 2, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you all serious? You hate Jack and his brother? They are the only two who stand up to the Granson’s and they make sure they dont get involved with them. They are about the only 2 good people on the show? What is wrong with all of you?????

Comment by Justbe78 – December 5, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! I agree! The show can’t get rid of the Porter bros without losing its moral center. After all, why does being good mean being boring???

Comment by Joy – December 14, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • how can you get rid of jack as we are all waiting for him and emily to be runited love concors all peace

Comment by barrybeef – December 17, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes i agree Jack is a major part of the storyline. Hes got to find out the truth. Yes these people dont get it.

Comment by venessa jones – February 10, 2013 07:18 PM PDT
  • Can’t wait!

Comment by Phi – December 2, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My bet is on Declan.

Comment by Maryam – December 2, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be Jack & Declan

Comment by Nick – December 2, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Jack first though. Shark bait, please.

Comment by Malissa – December 2, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes!! please kill the Porter brothers. they are awful.

Comment by Elyse – December 2, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Finally peeps who hate the Snoreaway bros especially Mopey Jack!! I’ve been soooo alone!!! Grouphug please!

Comment by e@n (@ean_nae) – December 3, 2012 10:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • What? SNOREaway bros?! As catchy and clever as that admittedly may be, I have to stand up for them. Declan might be disposable, but NOT Jack! If Jack’s character gets killed off, I will quickly lose interest in Revenge–which is my favorite show of all time, so that’s saying alot!!!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:29 PM PDT
          • LOLOLOL!!!! { hug }

Comment by ratneck – December 14, 2012 06:14 AM PDT
        • Jack isn’t awful! (Mopey, yes. But with good reason!) And although Declan admittedly isn’t my favorite character either, I honestly don’t think he’s as bad as every complains. Really guys!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I skipped the word ON and thought Gabriel Mann was making a major exit! I am SO happy I was mistaken.

Comment by slizabeth – December 2, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ‘unceremonious exit’ has to be Ashley. From the trailer it seems Victoria caught her having an affair with Conrad. Danny boy won’t be too pleased with that.

Comment by shuayb – December 2, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would find this acceptable,too. Unfortunately, I think it’s the sneaky guy in the bar w/ Jack and Declan, just like it was another sneaky b-list guy in the first season.

Comment by Margie – December 2, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why would it be unfortunate if one of the Ryan brothers were to leave? I’m all for Ashley leaving but would be fine with it being some other annoying character.

Comment by Mary – December 2, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely hated Declan last season but now I like him. I can’t Jack though now and wouldn’t even mind him getting killed off even though everyone knows those two are endgame for the show.

Comment by Erin. – December 2, 2012 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the previews for this weeks finale, You can see a man, with a wedding ring.. covered in blood. Unless Declan and Charlotte got married.. He’s not the one laying on the ground. Either Jack or Conrad.

Comment by Danielle – December 2, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Can’t wait! Can’t wait! I’m really scared to find out who will be on the Amanda when it sinks too. That episode when it comes will be a doozy I’m sure!

Comment by iMember – December 2, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let it be Jack…He has nothing to contribute to the plot except being Emily’s endgame.

Comment by taylor – December 2, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I hope that is not “the end game”. Can’t stand Jack and would be perfectly fine with him getting killed off. We missed him going to Haiti last year, so I am hoping we get a win with him getting blown up into tiny pieces. It may very well be Ashley, but I happen to like her a lot more than. Jack. Every Monday, my coworkers and I gripe that Jack is still breathing. Not one of us like him. Ugh!

Comment by Malissa – December 2, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How awful! I LOVE Jack, especially the idea of him and Emily ultimately ending up together. It’s true his character isn’t much fun right now, but I truly believe that once the writers allow his eyes to be opened to what’s going on, he will be MUCH more interesting to you and your co-workers. Just you wait!!! ;)

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey Taylor you just said why it wont be Jack. DUH

Comment by Josh – December 2, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Conrad is out, so am I.

Comment by nikki – December 2, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ousting Conrad is a way to bring in the higher powers involved in the plane crash and death of David Clarke. Conrad makes the most sense if they are going to knock off a significant character.

Comment by Michael – December 2, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you like Conrad? I think he’s a million times more evil than Victoria!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please there are more intresting characters than Conrad like Nolan

Comment by Josh – December 2, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think that Padma and Marco could be related?

Comment by Rachel – December 2, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like that idea. It has many possibilities!

Comment by kathy – December 2, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i thot that as well.

Comment by ratneck – December 14, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me the only death in mid season that would be shocking would be Jack / Daniel / Nolan. Jack because he is supposed to be end-game & I doubt the writers would be brave enough for this. Daniel because he was “saved” last season and should not be at risk now. Nolan because he is generally one of the most loved characters in the show.

I hope the powers that be are brave and really kill off a major character. My preference would be Declan, Aiden or Jack. Though I won’t mind a real shocker by killing off Daniel.

Comment by snkwa13 – December 2, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Jack or nolan gets “X”ed, I’m out too! They are the only truly good guys on this show. Not every character should be evil! I’m actually not of fan of Daniel… never have been. Especially since mid-way last season. Jail-time really changed him!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i’m with you . Keep Jack & esp Nolan daniel can go. they lose jack or nolan, they lose me too.

Comment by ratneck – December 14, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt the writers would kill off Nolan. It’s too risky. I agree that killing off either Daniel or Jack would be a big shocker, but it would also make sense plot wise. The Initiative is now after Daniel and the brothers are after Jack. I really hope they do a huge plot twist to shake things up a bit.

Comment by kaym – January 2, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Scene-stealer Gabriel Mann?” Huh? I’ve watched every Revenge episode and I’m pretty sure last week’s flashback was first we saw of him. Hardly a scene stealer compared to others who have been on show or currently on Rev. Anyway, the sinking of “Amanda” sounds a lot like the massacre on Dynasty….. Oh, and if Declan survives over ANYONE else on the show, it’s a darned shame. He is a worthless character. Trim the fat Rev.

Comment by Chicago Dan – December 2, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? Gabriel Mann plays Nolan and has been on the show since the very first episode….

Comment by Dr. Bombay – December 2, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously read beyond the first line to see him discussing playing the character of Nolan and so how did you possibly think that the long interview with Gabriell Mann was about him playing the character of Marco?

Comment by Eye – December 2, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Were you watching each episode with one eye shut, while standing on your head, or are you not very observant? Because Gabriel Mann, who plays the a main cast character of Nolan, has been in each episode. He’s sorta been pivotal to Emily’s storyline. And yes…he is a scene stealer thanks to his actions and lines given to Nolan.

Comment by Joe – December 2, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure what you’re watching, but Gabriel Mann commits highway robbery in just about every scene he’s in. Frankly, he’s the most essential character to this show next to Emily and Victoria.

Comment by ChrisGa – December 2, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously you think that Gabriel Mann played Marco, he does not play Marco, he plays Nolan, in every episode since the beginning of this series. If you missed that, then you have not been watching the show! And btw, he is a scene-stealer and a fan favorite.

Comment by Lucy – December 2, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still do not get people’s hatred of Jack. And their love for Daniel. Ugh

Comment by radha – December 2, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!^

Comment by Rai – December 2, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because Daniel is at least interesting, he’s shifty. How boring is it to watch a totally noble, naive and gracious person. What a boring show, everyone’s nice and does the right thing. ZZZZZZ.

Comment by Paula Allen – December 2, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally! Someone with some sense, I cannot stand Daniel he is a whiny bitch boy, Jack is so sweet kind and caring.

Comment by cocochanel – December 3, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • with you guys. daniel is wayyyyy overrated

Comment by ratneck – December 14, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I feel the exact same way. Being good doesn’t always = boring! Especially if he goes on a righteous mission with Emily once his eyes have been opened!!! ;)

As for Daniel… ugh is right. He’s just like his father (who i think is even more evil than Victoria)! Emily deserves to end up with a good man, and Daniel is NOT that! Writers, where did his humanity go? Daniel character was better as a poet-loving guy. Now he’s become everything he always said he hated. And you know what? I hate it too!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The thing that really concerns me in this episode is his talk of Nolan pulling away from Emily. That is not ok. Nolan is the gooey center of this show and if he and Em’s are not allies I’m not sure this show will work. He humanizes her, reminds her of the collateral damage and brings her out of her tunnel focus. I could see tension between Aiden and Nolan being fascinating because Aiden wants her focused on nothing but revenge while Nolan is trying to get her out of the revenge mode and into a healthier happier life. I get the impression that the only reason Nolan helps with her revenge schemes is because it lets her know in no uncertain terms that he is there for her. If she dropped the whole revengenda I think he’d be totally ok with it.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – December 2, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amanda, Kenny and his bro! They might try to kill her as a revenge for their father but die as well!
    I could live with her gone!

Comment by Carda – December 2, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it will be “boring new character”, whoever it is. They lost me a few episodes ago.

Comment by Joanna – December 2, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better not kill of Nolan, because he’s one of my favourite characters in ANY show that’s on atm. But I think I’m not the only one who loves him, so I really hope he’s save!
    I’d be okay if they killed of Declan or Amanda or any of the new characters, because it would be dramatic enough and maybe even shocking, in the case of Amanda. Though I really think that she has to die, since I don’t see Jack/Emily as endgame, if she’s alive – they have a baby together! (Not that I want Jack/Emily to happen, but that’s another story…)

Comment by Anna – December 2, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, Nolan is indeed one of the best characters on television period. I would be beyond shocked if they ever killed him off as I would place him a strong third behind Emily and Victoria as characters this show can’t live without.

Comment by ChrisGa – December 2, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like I might be the only one here that dislikes Nolan. The way he speaks just grinds me the wrong way. He was a lot more tolerable in the flashback episode. I feel the same way about Conrad, the way he speaks to Victoria always bothers me. They both feel very over-the-top/fake when they talk that way.

Comment by kavyn – December 2, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be faux Amanda! She has to go!

Comment by Camkids – December 2, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As an interesting side note: Declan was interviewed recently saying that if it was his time to go, he would be “honored” to go out big. He didn’t sound like would be sad about leaving. So I’m thinking there’s a good possibility he could be a goner!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like from his last answer that someone wants to leave?

Comment by Keenan – December 2, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Jack. I am sure he will figure it all out eventually. I’m hoping the end of this season, but I am not holding my breath. Loved that Nolan called Daniel “Danny Boy” this week. LOL The Padma/Nolan/Marco thing might actually be interesting.

Comment by WingsStef – December 2, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the “Danny Boy” was hilarious, Love Jack also. Jack and Nolan are good friends and I like the chemistry they have.

Comment by cocochanel – December 3, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Jack and Nolan are my two favorite guy characters; I love their friendship, as well as their special connections to Emily :)

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure it’s Mason Treadwell & if Nolan goes I will die of heart break. Nolan Ross is the star of Revenge without him there would be no revengeda…!!

Comment by Maina Edward – December 3, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please let it be jack. no one really cares about him now. plus that storyline sucks with him and the brothers… blahh to that..

aiden. nolan. emily. i love them!

Comment by Rose – December 3, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a fan of Jack’s! It’s true he doesn’t do much right now but “tend bar,” but I believe his character’s purpose will expanded in the future. Without his (nautical) moral compass, Revenge would just be a black hole of evil characters! The Kenny and bro storyline is definitely a bit strange, but I’m really hoping a good twist will come out of all this.

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be shocked if it was Queen V but Gabe’s final comment about saving this character really ties in with what MS said in one of her own recent interviews. I can see how she might sacrifice herself to save her precious Dopey Danny and put an end to the Initiative finally but I very much doubt the show would be so brave as to lose her. Really looking forward to her uneasy alliance with Ems altho I hate the idea of Emily hooking up with Danny again but if that in any way helps save Nolan she OWES him that at least. (Fun times for EVC and JB ;-)) And definitely if Nolan was axed that would be the end of Revenge for me. The person I would like to be rid of the MOST is *drumroll*… Mopey Jack!! A loser barkeep WITH a baby in tow would be a huge pain in the ass thorn in the side of Ms Emily. Hell NO. Altho I have a soft spot for Aiden I can NEVER forget that he threw Nolan into the lion’s den. I have a feeling that if Aiden truly loves Emily (and the show HAS been laying on the PDA and shipping Aimily real hard) HE will be making his exit on the Amanda in true tragic soapy fashion (which also ties in with her losing Jack in Season I) That will hopefully segue nicely into poor heartbroken Ems running back into the arms of the ONE TRUE love and friend she has… Nolan.Emily and Nolan… that is my ALL ♥ Final thought… let Ashley Davenport go too.

Comment by e@n (@ean_nae) – December 3, 2012 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Revenge writers: Keep Jack and Nolan. I could live without Daniel. And although I actually like Aiden now (I didn’t want to at first), it might be interesting turn of events if he goes under. After all, he’s not Emily’s end-game!

Comment by Joy – December 4, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love everything abt this episode. Can’t wait to see the end. Good work done y’all. Its so nyce…

Comment by Dee – December 16, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about one of those scuzzy brothers AAAAAND Declan?? Declan’s giraffe-neck is giving me the creeps. ….
    Ps TOTALLY NEW PADMA WAS IN THE INITIATIVE! Yessss

Comment by Alexandra – January 13, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be Aiden, Declan, or Conrad. It definitely won’t be Jack. Thats what they want you to think what with it being his boat and showing a hand with a wedding ring. Jack is the only positive character from Emily’s past and the only one who seems to remind us that she is still human and still capable of feeling/being her true self. I wouldn’t mind if Amanda went. She bugs me. Something big has to happen with her character. I can’t imagine Emily and Jack ever having a chance together with her around. Im hoping something happens with someone involved in the bar situation. That part of the storyline needs to change. There is no way Nolan will be going anywhere!

Comment by Shae – January 23, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post