Game of Thrones Video: First Look at Season 3

Get More: First Look, Video

Winter is coming, and what better way to get the forecast than with a first-look featurette with intel about the new characters of Game of Thrones‘ upcoming Season 3?

In the video embedded below, which first aired just prior to Boardwalk Empire‘s third-season finale, the network unveiled interviews with the show’s creators, cast and more.

Which newcomers are you most looking forward to seeing? Any new details that elated your inner fantasy geek? Sad not to see King Joffrey’s head on a spike? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (14)

• It’s going to be very, very difficult to even produce something similar to the book. In my opinion, that third book has been the best so far. But I’m really looking forward to this season. They are doing a great job so far. I want to see what happens to Arya. An I’m also intrigued about Shae….

Comment by Ana – December 2, 2012 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True, there’s a sad lack of Joffrey dying, but there’s also, from what I could tell anyway, no footage from that other, ahem, memorable event in the third book. It evens out, in my mind. Also, maybe it’s just me, but do we know if the storyline with Jaime and Brienne is going–somewhere? I was waiting for that all last season.

Can’t wait to see Diana Rigg as the Queen of Thorns! It’ll be great to have her on my TV screen again. Also looking forward to the parallels between those Lannisters and Tyrells, particularly with regard to the sibling, uh, relationships. Maybe we’ll get a few Cersei-Margaery (verbal) catfights? One can hope. . .

Comment by A – December 2, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Judging from a couple of photos I’ve seen, they’re taking the Jaime storyline exactly where it goes in the book (if you’ve read the book, you know what happens to Jaime, I don’t want to give it away).

Comment by aleksa – December 2, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jaime’s story is definitely going somewhere this season:) In my opinion, his story arc is definitely the most interesting in book 3, so I can’t wait to see how Nikolaj Coster-Waldau does this season with a more meaty story line. Everything looks amazing, and I can’t wait for season 3 to start!

Comment by Elena – December 2, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed on all points! It will be nice to see Coster-Waldau get some good hefty material to work with, not that he didn’t do well in seasons one and two, but up to this point Jaime really has been a minor character–at least in terms of screen time.

Comment by rednihilist – December 2, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, great! Yeah, what you’re hinting at is what I was hinting at, and I was hoping they hadn’t scrapped that–development, as it really is a game-changer, not just for Jaime and Brienne but for a lot of people. That’s when the vulnerability really starts showing for that family, the blood in the water, and of course that foreshadows other moments of Lannister weakness. Really, in the scheme of things and in light of his history, Jaime gets off pretty light.

Comment by rednihilist – December 2, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem is that they have already strayed from the book in small (and a few not-so-small) ways; therefore, it makes you wonder just how true the show’s writers will stay to the literary characters, the dynamics of which can change the story dramatically. Either way, I’m still looking forward to Season 3.

Comment by GoT Fan – December 2, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this the one where reek rhymes with meek :) That’s what I’m waiting for!

Comment by blahblah – December 2, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think will we actually get to see the manifestation of reek which we do not get to see in the books.

Comment by Olive – December 2, 2012 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Book 3 the one with the red wedding? Or is that four? I can’t WAIT to see all that go down.

Comment by Ashley – December 3, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s book 3, but they are only doing half the book for season 3 and the second half is where everything happens.

Comment by Joel – December 3, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This gives me chills. The crew really has done an amazing job. Every episode suprizes me more, beautiful sets, perfect clothes e spotless acting. Congrates to everyone working on the show!

Comment by Alice – December 3, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stunned silence. Amazing.

Comment by Goat Girl – December 3, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Greatest HBO series ever put on TV. What a show! I love it!!

Comment by Ron – January 13, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post