Glee: 25 Songs We'd Love to Hear in Season 4 (and Who We'd Like to Sing 'Em)

We thought we’d seen (and heard) it all on Glee. But “Thanksgiving,” the eighth episode of the show’s current Season 4, hit us with an aural left hook we never saw coming: Psy’s “Gangnam Style.” And at Sectionals, no less!

Say whaaaa? Clearly all bets are off when it comes to Fox’s high-school musical. And that got our inner DJ in a brainstorming frenzy: What other songs should Glee cover between now and the end of the season? So many good ones, so little time!

Check out our 25 dream ditties below, then hit the comments and keep the conversation going. And for all my Glee commentary and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. uniqblue69 says:

Glee should do a boyband episode.. BSB, NSYNC, NKotB.. that would be epic!

2. Tom Charles says:

Any actual, real, honest to the FSM country. Not pop “country” like they’ve had on so far. I’m talking good old fashioned honky tonk.

• dude says:

I don’t think that’d work for an entire episode. They have to fill it with some Taylor Swift/Shania Twain/Carrie Underwood to appease the teenage demo they’re targeting.

• Tom Charles says:

I never said a whole episode, just pepper some in here and there. I know a whole episode of it wouldn’t fly, but they could find some ways to work something in here and there

• whosays says:

The season 1 episodes with April (Kristen Chenowyth) had some honky tonk songs, didn’t they?

• Tom Charles says:

Carrie Underwood is pop country. I’m talking the likes of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, George Strait, Loretta Lynn, Buck Owens, stuff like that.

3. Anna says:

Arcade Fire’s “Wake Up” would be incredible. Perhaps by the ND graduates?

4. noa says:

Emma doing Loving You is a great idea.

5. aslihangenc says:

A reunion song (if there will be) for finn and rachel which is madness by muse, it will be amazing considering the theme of that song

6. Heidi says:

YOU, Sir, are a genius!!

7. Hannah says:

Lol @ Tina singing Madonna’s “Bad Girl”.

8. Casey says:

Finn doing Too Close? Um yeah right.

How about not making Finn sing for a while – or even like, show up onscreen. Cory’s singing is usually hit or miss for me. He’s definitely improved since season 1 but I just, I am just so sick of Finn – and I don’t want to hear or see him anymore. And I sure as well don’t want another Finchel duet – 3 seasons’ worth is enough.

9. Bonesfan47 says:

I kinda want to hear either Britney or Santana or both sing In Real Life by Demi Lovato everytime I hear that song I hear those two sing it I think it would be real good

10. jm says:

i got the perfect song for Santana/Britney storyline it is in spanish though
    “Llorar duele Mas” – Kalimba
    Lyrics says

“Forget me, Forget me
    I dont want to cry anymore (twice)

I had a love without flaws
    It was perfect, it was true love
    Always agree, nothing to handle
    I didnt want to lose it
    I wanted to keep for always
    I wanted it to be my endless love
    Meanwhile i was forgeting about loving
    Fed up of waiting for me, you go

Crying hurts harder
    when i know that
    i was the one
    who never understood
    Crying hurts harder
    because i know it was me
    the reason that all happend
    cause i didnt see
    that you were more real than love
    and trying you feel what it never was.

i had a imperfect love
    with all the flaws of true love
    me and my fear, we let it go
    now i understand it, you are gone…

I think Santana could sing it if Britney is with another person, cause she left Britney go…
    It is a very touchy song… and she could do a real job

Other possibility is for Britney to sing it to her in spanish to win her back, if she did something with someone else

11. ric says:

would love an all Kylie episode with Kurt, Blaine and the Warblers

12. GM says:

Santana singing maps would be perfect!

13. Jess says:

Santana needs to sing “maps” and I also agree with Bieste’s and Emma’s songs

14. dude says:

i’ve always wanted them to do a Canadian music episode. There’s so many amazing songs in that catalog both classics and current hits. Just no Justin Bieber please.

• Nelson says:

Lots of Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne and even more so of Alanis Morissette!!!!

• sam says:

for canadian music they should do marianas trench fin should do cross my heart obviously to rachel marley jake and ryder should do good to you and jake should do haven’t had enough

15. Cadora knight blair says:

Kevin mchale usher – you got bad love that song R&B. More samcedes and K-POP LOOK IT UP 2ne1,T.O.P, Girl Generation,Shinee,Jay Park, soo much more

16. stw says:

Mashup of the Bangles “Eternal Flame” and Air Supply’s “Making Love Out of Nothing at All” for Rachel and Finn.

Mumford and Sons’ “Kick Drum Heart” for Finn Hudson

Sting’s “Fields of Gold” for Santana to sing for Brittany

The Avett Brothers’ “I and Love and You” as Finn and Santana move to NYC to join Rachel and Kurt there

Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” at an angst-filled time, sung by Finn, Santana, Rachel and Kurt

Streisand’s ‘The Way We Were” sung by Rachel Berry (duh)

Billy Joel’s “She’s Always a Woman to Me” and “Just the Way You Are” mashed up and sung by Finn and Rachel to each other

Adele’s take on Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” sung by Rachel to/for Finn when they’re on their way to get back together.

The Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood” sung by Arty and Tina

The Beatles’ “Hey Jude” sung by the New Directions led by Arty and Finn

The Beatles’ “Let It Be” sung by the New Directions led by Arty and Tina, Ryder, Jake, Marley, and Kitty

More U2 and more Springsteen by Finn, esp. Springsteen’s “Working on a Dream”; U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”

Rent’s “Seasons of Love” sung by the old and new New Directions

17. mcljess says:

YES to Sam singing MM that’s a shot of brilliance, and Brittany with Born to be alive? You guys should seriously write this show. Awesome choices. I’d love to hear Santana sing Amos Lee’s Arms of a Woman. She’s got the soul, and she loves the ladies :)
    Jess

18. Jim says:

You should really make tvline compatible with mobile devices.

19. what says:

You lost me on the very first one when you said you wanted Cory Monteith to sing anything lol No.

• Karen says:

See, and I want to hear him sing everything, and more!! to each thier own I guess. I love his grittty rock voice. I love these suggestions. I want him to sing Seperate Ways by Journey. it’s perfect for him and his storyline right now.

20. madhatter360 says:

Not Alone by Darren Criss, sung by Blaine. Getting some Starkid (or even just Wizard Rock) on the show would be about the only thing to get me to start watching again.

21. Guest says:

A-ha’s “Take on Me” by Blaine!

22. apple says:

Can they do more R&B?? I’m tired of top 40 pop songs. Maybe some 90s stuff. They were all born in the 90s…

• Sil says:

Me 2. Glee has abandoned the variety of genres and eras of music to contempory only. It’s a shame. The Glee cast, at least the original cast, make their mark in popularity by their ability to transend all types of music every week. Something that I really miss and what I think is 1 of the many reasons that Glee is waning in popularity.

• Temperence says:

Eeech. R&B is out right now.

23. Kelly says:

I’ve been hoping for some Spring Awakening for ages…especially a guest appearance by John Gallagher Jr. to lead the Warblers in B**** of Living!

24. Kiki says:

Lea Michele is not capable of enough nuance to do the Cyndi Lauper song. It’s a great pick though. It would be better performed by Naya or Amber though.

• nadya says:

lea is perfectly capable of enough nuance. in my opinion she has the strongest female voice in the cast and could sing the phonebook and make me fall in love with it. I have nothing against either naya or amber and love listening to them but claiming lea doesn’t have the ability to perform with enough nuance or whatever it crap. it’s fine to want to hear other people sing or to want to know what they might sound like singing something but your phrasing of it was total BS.

25. Saravia says:

Naya Rivera as Santana singing anything by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals would do it for me!!

26. Marley should sing “Who You Are” by Jessie J when she can accept herself for who she is and know that’s she’s beautiful inside and out.

Santana should sing “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys to Brittany to get her back. Brittana is endgame and who would say no to your soul mate serenading this to you? Or she could sing “Yellow” by Coldplay.

Brittany should sing “Parachute” or “Fight For This Love” by Cheryl Cole once she wakes up and realizes that Santana is the one for her.

27. bamabunny says:

Brittany doing Karmin’s “Brokenhearted”
    Blaine singing Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home to Me”
    Marley or Kurt on Christina Perri’s “A Thousand Years”
    Unique on Jessie J.’s “Domino”
    Jake singing Gavin DeGraw’s “Not Over You”

28. Marr says:

Where the heck do you come up with some of these songs?

29. nadya says:

I want Rachel to sing Gravity by Sara Bareilles to Finn. it’s the most gorgeous song and would be perfect to describe her feelings right now. I want Cory to sing….anything, actually. there’s beautiful resonance to his voice. and we need a Finchel duet. I’d be open to whatever. ideally not something shouty or angsty. I’d like to hear Rachel and Marley duet again soon and also Rachel and Mercedes.

• Sil says:

Sara Bareilles’ Gravity is beautiful. Rachel would be perfect for that. I love Rachel’s duets with most of the cast. Rachel and Mercedes. Rachel and Santana. Rachel and Puck. Rachel and Quinn. Rachel and Tina. Rachel and Kurt. Rachel and Blaine. Rachel and Finn sing beautifully together. Lea has one of those singing voices that is a chameleon to blend so well with someone elses voice.

30. A says:

Santana should totally sing Maps or Make you feel my love

31. Gypsy says:

Shakira’s “gypsy” for Santana.

32. Edward says:

Rachel – Undone by Haley Reinhart
    Rachel and Marley- Tell Him by Celine and Barbara
    Unique and Mercedes- Video by Inidia Arie
    Marley- I Have a dream by Abba
    Kitty with ND Girls – Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani
    Finn- Follow me by Uncle Kracker
    Ryder and Jake – Anna Sun by Walk the Moon
    Blaine – Fall For you by Secondhand Serenade
    Tina- Dnacing on my own by Robyn
    Santana – We Belong Together by Mariah
    Sam – Bitch of A living (Spring Awakening)
    New Direction – All Star by Smash Mouth

33. Singingal says:

I love you Michael, I really do. But having Finn sing INXS, one of my all time favorite songs no less, would just kill that song. Please erase this suggestion! I mean, I would love ANY other male doing this song – in fact, Puck would probably sing the crap out of it. But not Finn. Thanks :)

• KJ says:

I don’t think he’d be too bad at it. It’s not like Michael Hutchence was a strong vocalist, although no one can copy Hutchence’s sexy swag or charisma.

34. TheLizard says:

Patsy Cline, Hank William Sr, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison… Things that require a little depth.

35. Stephanie says:

Very interesting how you chose a Kris Allen song for Will, coincidentally enough he wrote “Still Got Tonight” for Matt’s first album

• G-Mom says:

Kris Allen is my fave male singer! Any of his songs would be great, but it wouldn’t match Kris And I loved “Still Got Tonight”.

36. Simple Minds – Don’t You Forget About Me
    But with the whole glee class singing at the last episode

37. Alice says:

‘I Am a Rock’ is a fabulous idea. That needs to happen. Also, someone needs to do ‘Cecilia’.

38. Ann says:

I want Finn and Kurt to sing He Ain’t Heavy He’s My Brother. For that they’d have to acknowledge that Finn and Kurt are now actually “family”, so I suppose I’ll never see it on Glee.

39. diggle says:

I would LOVE to hear Kurt do Mika’s Big Girl (You Are Beautiful). Love it!

40. Kalee says:

Ooh, TVLine gave Tina two solo options. I approve of TVLine’s crusade to get more Tina.

41. I think these are great suggestions! It’s just nice to see Glee keep on trying to make eclectic musical selections instead of pigeon-holing themselves into just covering one certain type of song. It would be nice to hear from some of the other cast members who don’t get to sing as often!

42. Sam says:

Kris Allen’s “Live like we’re dying” would be a great great idea!

43. Lola says:

“Live Like Your Dying” by Kris Allen? Try, “by Tim McGraw.” He first recorded it waaaay before Kris Allen hit the American Idol stage and later recorded it. Once again, an example of the laziness and ignorance of EW writers.

44. Julia says:

I absolutely agree that Kurt needs to sing a Mika song, but I just don’t see any context for him to sing Big Girl. I think Grace Kelly or Stardust would be much better options, as far as his current storylines go!

45. Anna says:

“We Are Golden”- Mika, New Directions.

46. ana says:

You haven’t seen the last of me, from Burlesque. By Kurt to Nyada.

47. Naomi says:

3 songs i want, but they’ll never do are:

Voltaire: Innocent (it’s all about bullying, and if done right could be a really powerful cover)
    Nevershoutnever: I love you 5 (i want to see this between Kurt and Blaine… and i want them to recreate the video!!!)
    Emilie Autumn: Fight Like A Girl (come on… the girls would rock this!)

They’ll never do em cause the artists arent well known enough… but a girl can dream

48. Andrea says:

I would like to see the following:

Somebody’s Baby by Jackson Browne- Ryder
    I Want Love by Elton John- Blaine
    Be Be Your Love by Rachel Yamagata- Santana
    Strong Enough to Be My Man by Sheryl Crow- Marley, Rachel, Emma
    Poision and Wine by The Civil Wars- Finn and Rachel
    The House That Built Me by Miranda Lambert- Quinn
    Never Gonna Leave This Bed by Maroon 5- Will
    My Sweet Lord by George Harrison- Joe
    I’m Not Okay by My Chemical Romance- New Direction boys
    Beverly Hills by Weezer- Puck
    The Remedy by Jason Mraz- Sam
    Fidelity by Regina Spektor- New Direction Girls

• sam says:

poison and wine by the civil wars yes but not by finchel i hate rachel so much and she would absouluty ruin the second best song by the civil wars (barton hollow #1) maybe Ryder marley and jake could do it instead

49. Winnie says:

Dramarama’s “Anything, Anything (I’ll Give You)” mash-up with a polar opposite song (in meaning (from desperation to independence) like JoJo’s “Leave (Get Out)”, Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” or Kelly Clarkson’s “Since You Been Gone” or..,even the sweet “I’d Do Anything” from Oliver for a bit of a change-up in style.

I’d love to hear Sam sing “Sold (the Grundy County Auction…)” by John Michael Montgomery to Brittany, Islands in the Stream (Parton/Rogers) would be a great duet, and Charlie Daniels’ The Devil Went Down to Georgia seems like it could be fun, but the context is beyond me…

Garth Brooks:

Friends in Low Places – New Directions, fun song – not sure who would start off, lead
    She’s Every Woman – just about 1/2 of any couple or set of exes could sing this
    the Thunder Rolls – Bieste (though, I think that storyline ship has sailed…)
    Rollin’ – Puck (for some hot older woman he met hitching back to Lima from LA…yeah…sorry, for the implausible situations…I just love Garth Brooks)

If Artie, contrary to reports that he might get some love soon, doesn’t, I’d love a Sparks song like “Eaten by the Monster of Love” (in reference to those around him)…but done in a way like “Dancing with Myself”

Sammy Adams’ “Blow Up” is something I’d love to hear, but as for placement, I’m unsure…same with “Giving Up The Gun” or “I think ur a contra” by Vampire Weekend…

I think Blaine would kill “Heartbreak Warfare” by John Mayer…

…and I love the Warblers/En Vogue idea, can definitely see the context, and they tend to kick ass on songs traditionally sung by female vocalists.

I wish Alt-J’s “Breezeblocks” could find a place in there. It’s not that appropriate (but neither is Unique singing Foster the People’s “Pumped Up Kicks”…but I’d still strangely love to hear it) and maybe they couldn’t get the rights anyway, but my wish list is weird – …most of these are why I should leave picking songs to the professionals.

50. sam says:

i think jake ryder and maybe sam and blaine and one girl probably marley do Ho hey by the lumineers and they should tackle howlin for you or lonely boy by the black keys for the black keys it should be Sam,blaine, and ryder anbd the new girls Marley and kittty even including unique should do a florence and the machine song like never let me go only if for a night and fin and ryder should do paradise by coldplay