Lifetime's Army Wives Adds Torrey DeVitto, Ashanti as Series Regulars

Torrey DevittoThere’ll be a few new recruits on the base when Army Wives starts Season 7.

The Lifetime drama is adding The Vampire Diaries’ Torrey DeVitto, pop singer Ashanti and newcomer Elle McLemore as series regulars in its upcoming season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Army Wives Exclusive: Major Character Getting Killed Off as Part of Season 7 Shake-Up

DeVitto, who’s also a Pretty Little Liars vet, will play a former soldier who gave up the Army to be a mom. Her character, Maggie Hall, is a truck driver married to a staff sergeant.

Ashanti’s character, Latasha Durant, is a “sexy, fun” mother of three who runs her family and marriage with a firm hand. The “Foolish” singer has had guest roles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and American Dreams.

McLemore will play naive Holly Gordon, a sweet farm girl who recently married a soldier. The actress currently shakes her pom-poms as Eva in Bring It On: The Musical, which is scheduled to end its Broadway run on Dec. 30.

The additions come as the cast undergoes some big changes, including Kim Delaney’s departure in the season opener and Sally Pressman’s limited participation in the episodes ahead.

1. Olivia says:

I hope Torrey DeVitto can still appear in PLL

2. Barbara Rasch says:

Psycho nanny on OTH. AWESOME

3. Ella says:

Okay….I’m kind of in love with Torrey’s character already,….

4. Amanda says:

I wonder if they’re axing Meredith on TVD…

• JC says:

They wouldn’t necessarily need to ax her. Since she is not a series regular on TVD, they could bring her back every once in awhile when she’s available, and if her character is needed with a storyline. I’m sure Julie Plec would want to keep the Meredith character in her back pocket for future use, rather than just kill her off. (Although dead characters seem to have a way of returning on The Vampire Dairies.)

• Jon says:

Plus isn’t Meredith a fan favorite from the books? Seeing as how they waited until last season I doubt they’d want to piss off and lose more fans by killing her off so soon but then again it seems everything they’re doing right now is pissing off everyone.

5. Eric says:

Plus she’s married to Paul Wesley (Stefan) from
    TVD in real life, so she’ll always be welcomed on that show

6. shuayb says:

This lady is busy! Like her a lot and she wasn’t utilised well in PLL. Hope she does well here.

7. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

No. Sorry. I don’t want new wives. I might have to be done with this show.

8. dude says:

LOVE Torrey DeVitto! I know she’s sick of being reminded of it but she’ll always be Nanny Carrie to me.

9. sandi says:

I thought they had a series finale

10. I am only returning to this show because of Catherine Bell. Especially if Sally and Drew are such smaller roles. This show is going down the toilet. I’m not sure even Catherine can keep me coming back.

11. TV Gord says:

Are we ever going to get the real story behind Delaney’s departure?

• Maria Elena says:

I agree..would love to know what happened so bad that she left the show? I mean really, much worse things have occurred in other shows, w/o people exiting! I LOVE KIM DELANEY, SHE IS ARMY WIVES, COME ON NOW….pls. Say it ain’t so….

12. BRIAN says:

FOLKS DON’T QUIT WATCHING THE SHOW UNTIL YOU’VE SEEN THE FIRST 2 OR 3 EPISODES,SALLY SIGNED ON WITH NBC TO DO A PILOT ,LOSING KIM IS A BIG DEAL AN I LOVE THE CJ BUT BECAUSE OF HER SALARY LIFETIME CHOSE NOT TO RENEW HER CONTRACT BECAUSE THEY WANTED HER TO TAKE LESS MONEY & THE SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT FIASCO DIDN’T HELP HER ANY. NETWORK EXECS ALWAYS KILL OFF PEOPLE WHEN THEY WANT MORE MONEY OR REFUSE TO PLAY BALL . REMEMBER FOLKS THIS IS A SHOW ABOUT MILITARY LIFE AS WE SAW TREVOR & ROXY MOVE TO A NEW POST THAT IS LIFE OF A MILITARY FAMILY,MY COUSIN IS IN THE ARMY CURRENTLY STATIONED IN TEXAS AFTER BEING IN FLORIDA FOR 3 YEARS WITH HIS FAMILY THIS PART OF THE JOB SO THE SHOW MUST REFLECT REAL LIFE.YES CJ WILL BE MISSED BUT THE SHOW NEEDS NEW BLOOD TO CONTINUE ON BECAUSE LIFETIME HAS INVESTED TOO MUCH FOR ONE PERSON TO SCREW IT UP SO SHOWS IN THE PAST HAVE SURVIVED CAST CHANGES ARMY WIVES WILL TOO.

13. carla says:

NOT gonna watch it coz i loveeeee Kim Delaney!!!