Vampire Diaries Recap: Love, Blood, Pageantry and One Killer Climax

If you have yet to watch Thursday’s episode of The Vampire Diaries, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed…

The Vampire Diaries revisited a time-honored tradition in Thursday’s episode as the Miss Mystic Falls Pageant took center stage. Much like it did in Season 1, the special occasion ushered in big developments for Damon and Elena.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries‘ 1940s Trip Means Salvatores in Uniform, [Spoiler]‘s Return!

After more than three seasons of foreplay, Elena finally gave in to her feelings and had sex with Damon. But was she really in control of her actions? Caroline’s got a theory that Elena is sired to Damon!

Let’s start back at the beginning when Elena explains to her friend that she’s confused and needs to figure out what her feelings for the older Salvatore brother mean. Caroline, however, is not confused and makes that extremely clear. She thinks Stefan is Elena’s epic love, and “Damon is sneaky and manipulative and rude.” To top it off, the idea of Delena, to borrow a ‘shipper term, “makes me want to barf,” she adds. Hey, Caroline, tell us how you really feel. I love the character and her friendship with Stefan, which obviously colors her feelings, but she did come off as unnecessarily harsh, no? Combine that rejection with Stefan’s need to “fix” Elena, and you have to wonder if she didn’t push confused Elena toward Damon.

Elena puts one last nail in the coffin that is her relationship with Stefan, declaring to him, “This is who I am now. The old Elena died when she went off that bridge. Let her go.”

He takes this to mean, “Move on” — because his ex is certainly doing so. After Elena finds herself moving into the Salvatore mansion because of Jeremy’s hunter problem (more on that later), she reveals to Damon that watching the Miss Mystic Falls contestants brought up memories of their own moment on the dance floor. Damon takes her hand for an impromptu slow dance, which turns into a kiss that leads to the bedroom.

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries Holiday Hot Shots: Yuletide Fights Create a Whole Lot of Humbug

Meanwhile, Caroline, comforting a brokenhearted Stefan, realizes that Elena’s judgment might be affected by more than just hormones. “There’s something wrong her,” she says before it hits her: Damon said she’d only be able to drink from the vein, and that’s what happened. He liked April’s red dress, and so did Elena. Damon’s blood turned her into a vampire, and now she’s sired to him! But did Damon ever say they were going to have sex? Is that act still of her own doing?

Elsewhere in the jam-packed episode:

A scarily determined Stefan is hellbent on finding the cure, and even offers up a victim – albeit an unremorseful murderer – to Jeremy, who reluctantly kills the guy without getting one spot of blood on his dress shirt! But the damage is done. “I can’t trust you,” he says to Stefan before staking him. Jer, who’s already being plagued by visions of killing Elena, now has an even greater lust to hunt vampires, leading him to attack his own sister. To keep an eye on him, Matt moves into the Gilbert house, while Elena high-tails it to the Salvatore mansion.

Caroline makes good on her promise to go on a date with Klaus and lets him accompany her to the pageant – but not without some reluctance and some caveats (“I already have a dress so don’t even think of getting me so much as a corsage!”). After she vents to him about the Elena situation, the two have a genuine moment of laughter where he reads her overly enthusiastic Miss Mystic Falls application. And yes, Tyler sees it all. Speaking of…

• Tyler brings Hayley as his date to the event to keep up appearances. But it may be less about fun and more about a secret agenda for the werewolf, who later visits Professor Shane to tell him they’ve broken another hybrid. Is she also in cahoots with Carol Lockwood? She was one of the “old timers” Tyler said he saw Hayley chatting with at the party.

• Damon repeatedly tries to get Shane to offer up another hunter’s name with threats and questions about his association with Pastor Young. “Did you just accuse me of mass murder during the middle of a high school pageant?” asks the professor. He eventually reveals that even if they find the cure, it’s been sealed with a spell only a Bennett witch can open, and he’s much more suited to get Bonnie back to full magical functionality that Damon.

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of the long-awaited moment — and the surprise twist? Are excited to see Jeremy and Matt as roommates? And how nice was the callback with Matt stepping in for Jer with April like Damon did in Season 1 with Elena?

1. S says:

Damon has cared LONG enough for little Stefan’s feelings and life. Its Damon’s turn. But clearly Stefan doesn’t believe Damon deserves to be loved or can be loved by anyone. He made me really hate him tonight and so did Caroline.

• Dawnmac says:

Ummm, Stefan should step aside because his brother has feelings for his girlfriend???? How does that even make sense.

• olivia says:

stefan doesn’t want his brother to be with his ex-girlfriend…wow, stefan, how selfish can you be! it’s obvious that stefan should step aside, since it’s “Damon’s turn” right? because that’s totally the right thing for him to do. -___-really??? obviously stefan loves his brother, or else he wouldnt have saved his ass that one time he was about to die by promising to be klaus’ partner in crime. is it so wrong to expect your brother to not move in on the girl you love?

2. Hikari says:

IM SO PISSED >:| This is so screwed up. They’re just trying to make Damon look bad. If this doesn’t end up being a plot twist where she still ends up with Damon, I will NEVER watch this show again. It will be ruined and not only because my favorite couple didnt end up together, but because the whole siring thing doesn’t even make sense. IT’S A LOAD OF BULLCRAP. Someone please email me so we can vent to each other (radianceofthemoon@yahoo.com)…

3. Seary says:

I’m disappointed because I think the sire bond thing messed with the love making scene, which I would have liked to have enjoyed without flashing to Stefan and Caroline getting all Maury who’s your daddy on Elena. Ridiculous. But I do think the writers are going somewhere with it that will be positive for Delena in the end. When you’re doing a 22 episode season, you have to give viewers a glimpse, not the whole view.

4. Emily says:

Unnecessarily harsh? Damon compelled Caroline, basically raped her, and abused her physically and emotionally for the first few episodes of the series. He also tried to kill Bonnie and once killed Jeremy, too. Is she really supposed to root for that guy to be with one of her best friends?

5. Fran says:

BOTH Stelena and Delena fans should be ticked off. First- Elena’s feelings for Damon only intensified? Why not her feelings for Stefan too? Add to the fact that she is barely broken up with him and jumps into bed with Damon. Way to show no respect for Stelena and make her seem cheap. Secondly- the sire thing? I think Delena fans have a right to be upset. They’ve waited for a long time to see the two together and not only did it come off as creepy because of Stefan and Caroline talking, but it also made Damon seem like a wimp. Elena has really screwed with Damon’s head for a long time and yet he just keeps crawling back to her. I honestly don’t know why anyone would want Elena with Damon after the way she’s treated him. Stefan too, come to think of it. They have made Elena so insufferable, I can’t see why any guy wants her anymore. I do think people need to give Caroline a break though. Let’s not forget the reasons for her hating Damon are pretty darn valid, even though we’ve all seen that Damon has changed- she hasn’t. Or isn’t willing to, which I think is pretty understandable. Plus she hasn’t done anything with Klaus so I don’t think it can be called hypocritical yet. I don’t know. I just hope the writers know where they’re going with this because all they’re doing is ticking off pretty much everyone who watches the show.

• Amberyl says:

They are ticking off everyone-very true. I was so mad at first, I said to myself if the sire thing is true, I will stop watching. I would be done. That would just be so terrible for Damon!
      But the fact that this latest episode has evoked such emotion in, yes, ALL the fans… to me, that shows damn good writing skills! And good writers don’t make bad writing choices.
      Making Elena sired to Damon would be an unbelievable turn of events. He has told her to do countless things since she vamped out, that she DIDN’T obey.
      It was epic writing at it’s finest. They had me fooled. I don’t know if I have ever felt such raw emotion over a show! And there is just the smallest part of me that wonders still, if it really will turn out that she’s sired. I have more faith in the writer’s than that, but you never know!
      I think this may have been one of their best episode yet! After first watching I was truly ready to never watch another episode! Now I am in awe and eagerly awaiting more! Bravo.

• Fran says:

I can see what you’re saying. It surely did evoke a lot of emotions from the fans but I don’t know- I still feel like the back and forth with Elena is becoming unbearable to watch. I just think something more needs to be done… but I’m sticking with the show until the end!

6. Ugh this episode bugged me to no end. The whole “sired” thing is both gimmicky and offensive to the fans’ intelligence. I love the show, but I’m over the triangle, and even as a Delena fan I felt kind of indifferent about the last scene tonight. The only thing I don’t get is how Stefan and Caroline acted as if Elena’s feelings were so out of the blue when she has been wrestling with them for a while (pre-vampire!!)

• J says:

I agree with ur observations. Wasnt Caroline whom Elena talked to about having feelings for Damon but was just afraid to thinm about it to which Caroline replied ” That makes you human” back in season 3. And please Stefan broke things off and acknowleged the Elena/Damon feelings, wasnt he the one who pushed them closer. I almost wanted to punch Caroline saying Damon is never right, because for the past season seems like Damon had all the right answer. Everyone keeps singling out every mistake Damon made as if Damon is the saving grace between good and evil. Stefan is turning Jeremy into an evil hunter who almost killed Elena and yet people would say its okay at least he didnt kill him like Damon.Stefan was the ripper last season its okay he didnt fed off with the inner circle of Mystic Falls like Caroline,Becky like Damon did. Stefan killed Andy whom Damon had remotely close to a gf but thats okay at least he didnt kill Lexi like Damon did. Whats the f***ing difference? PLEASE Caroline was nothing more than PLAIN ANNOYING prior to being a vampire. If its Stefan and Elena stick to it, if its Damon and Elena stick to it. Viewers are getting so sick with the whole torn thing, just choose one and be done with it dont make some lame excuse about being sired.

7. Callan says:

Seriously? I have been anxiously awaiting this moment between Damon and Elena for THREE SEASONS. Words cannot describe my excitement and enthusiasm for Damon and Elena to finally have a chance to at least test things out on a real level. Then that ending…they just had to go a ruin the moment between Delena again. I swear it’s like the writers don’t want to give them a fighting chance or something. We’ve had enough Stefan and Elena already! It’s the fourth season, we can test the Damon/Elena relationship for real now already. What kind of crap is this. Elena is sired to Damon??? Because that makes sense. Not like she didn’t have any feelings for him to begin with. Not like she has said no to him/fought/rejected him countless times since being turned. Seriously? I could write better storylines than that. This is beyond stupid. I’m so angry I honestly don’t care if I give up this whole stupid series all together. It’s clear they’re just going to keep dragging this crap out. What bull. Sayonara Vampire Diaries!

8. Julie says:

Here’s my thoughts- We’re all assuming Julie Plec and the writers give a crap about what we think. I’m pretty sure at this point they don’t. They want people to keep watching the show and they know how passionate both Delena and Elena fans are. They don’t care if it makes sense anymore. As long as they keep throwing in little nuggets of hope to each side, they know people will keep watching. If they truly cared about the characters and advancing the storyline, the right time for Damon and Elena to be together would have been after Stefan’s ripper time. It should have ended with Elena choosing Damon after everything they had been though over season 3. I actually am more of a Stefan fan but even I thought her choosing him made no sense. But wait! Damon met Elena first so there’s the hope for Delena fans to keep watching (even though the context of it made no sense). So let’s start season 4 and oh, it didn’t matter that she met him first did it? She was still with Stefan. Then she decides to give it a go with Damon. Ok but wait! It must be only because she is sired with him (even though again, the context of it makes no sense). So there’s the hope for Stelena fans! And on and on it will go I’m sure. I will stay with this show until the end though I keep kicking myself for it. It’s just frustrating that there have been so many good opportunites to make the love triangle compelling and they’ve really messed it up. Rant over :)

9. Heather Lara says:

i really hope elena is not sired to damon, they are so great together. being a real life couple will make there on screen chemistry even that much more great.

10. sls says:

I can’t believe that preview making it look like Damon knew about the sire bond and had sex with Elena anyway…that has to be a misleading preview. If not, that may be the end of watching this show for me. It would ruin Damon’s character beyond repair.

Maybe the bond is real, maybe not. Even if it’s real they can still turn things around for Delena in an epic way. If it’s real and Damon didn’t know and refuses to be with her until it’s broken it may give everyone a little space to grow and make the eventual Delana reunion even better.

• cc says:

I completely agree with you. I am sincerely hoping the second part of your comment is the route the writers are going. Otherwise, I don’t know how I’ll be able to continue to watch, and I loooove this show – have since the beginning.

11. S says:

I’m over it. I love Delena, Damon and this show but this is getting to be too much. These writers are ridiculous. Elena being sired is one thing but if they actually make it to where Damon knew then well that is just crossing the line. If they don’t ever really want to give DE a real chance then why continue to do us fans like this? just let Damon move on already. Enough is Enough like I’ve said many times before. I had so much hope for this episode and then Caroline opened her big mouth.

12. Amberyl says:

I just had an epiphany of who I think Elena will end up with!

I had been thinking it would HAVE to be Stefan.

We all know that until the show ends, the writer’s will HAVE to keep up the sexual tension/confused love triangle thing that’s been going on throughout every season so far. That IS the Vampire Diaries.

Which means that even after getting with Damon, after all this build up, she’s STILL going to be emotionally conflicted! Hey, cut her some slack. She has to be! The show would die without it. Anyway, that won’t bode well for Damon. No way she really loves him if once she finally gets him, she still wants to crawl back to his little bro, right?

That USED to be my thought process. But I just realized this whole emotion envoking sire bonding mess is the perfect way to give team Delena a fighting chance! Now, she may still end up with Stefan. She probably will. True love and all that. So true she will sleep with your brother. *cough* Did I say that out loud?

I have never been team Stefan. And that was before Damon even existed as a team to be on. They just hooked up WAY too fast.

Anyway… if Elena BELIEVES she is sired to Damon (FYI-no way this could actually be true and believeable) that will cause emotional confliction in ALL of them. Even Damon. Thus continuing the conflicted love-triangle (for ratings sake), but preserving the true love that she may indeed feel for Damon.

And it also leaves it open for team Stefan. What a perfect excuse for sleeping with your brother, right? It wasn’t me, it was the sire bond. Riiight. But, still, the writer’s could go that way if they wanted.

Besides, now that I think about it… the show has always foreshadowed the possibility of Stefan and Katherine. It would be one thing if she had still been conflicted about who she loved. But she made it clear that she never really loved Damon. So there is now zero possibility that they will hook up again. That only leaves Katherine and Stefan. Unless the show plans to leave on an unhappy note, with one brother left eternally unhappy, or all of them dead, etc, which I doubt!

13. ida says:

I dont like the fact that Damon stole his brother’s girl!! Thats not natural!! I hate that

• Amberyl says:

I really did think he would be a little more sensitive to his brother’s feelings. But I guess it is Damon we’re talking about here! Still… I think it would be something difficult to walk away from for anyone in that same situation.

• olivia says:

EXACTLY! and people are getting mad at stefan for not being understanding. if your sibling hooked up with one of your ex’s, i’d like to see how “understanding” you would be. annoying.

14. Anjali says:

Hate the twist. Why can’t it just be about them having feelings for each other, I know Stelena is the end game but why oh why can’t we have something that is completely real, no twists, no games, just Delena. She has feelings for him, why can’t it be about that. I have to say I could see it coming the whole episode though, from the spoilers i’d seen and the fact I read the first book (which is awful), when the dress thing happened I could see this twist from a country mile. Gah, disappointed.

15. Anon says:

I think that people judging about speed of getting with Damon maybe have never felt that kind of passion/strength, I have. I was definitely a person who would have said ‘as if you would do that, it’s wrong’ before but sheesh, those feelings, all those hormones, its like your mind and your body might just implode from the intensity. You battle your conscience for as long as possible, which Elena did while she was with Stefan and she didn’t make that move until she and Stefan split. I just think ignoring feelings like that is a hell of a lot harder than people think and its very easy to be armchair judges with our morality guides to life. If it was so easy, why do so many real people do it.

• Amberyl says:

I agree. I think it wouldn’t have been believable if they had waited any longer. I was glad to see the show staying true to their characters, even if it meant a speedy intimacy scene when they could have drawn out the sexual tension for several more episodes, had they wanted.

But yeah, passion like that is hard to deny! Add love to the mix (which I believe she feels for Damon) and its damn near impossible!

• Amberyl says:

And as a completely random side note to this… I think she was able to hold back from being with damon while she was still with Stefan, as much for Damon’s sake as it was Stefan’s. And her own morality code, of course.

16. Sara says:

The writers really will do *anything* to cheapen Delena. In 3×19 they had them make out against a vending machine at a seedy motel and now the first time they have sex Stepford Elena is sired to Damon and he’s basically raping her without knowing it. Julie Plec’s surrogate, Caroline, is going around like a foghorn telling everyone how revolting Damon and Elena’s relationship is and how ‘epic’ Stelena is and Stefan is once more being a hypocritical dick who can’t see even a scrap of good in his own brother and runs him down mercilessly at every opportunity. This episode made me sick.

17. S says:

Damon didn’t ‘steal’ anyone lmao.

18. Pauli says:

If the sire thing turns out to be real it’s really inconsistent writing. I had heard rumors about this a couple weeks back but ignored it because it made no sense! That is something that would have been noticed immediately. When Tyler was sired to Klaus, he couldn’t shut up about how awesome he was and did everything he said without question. That is not how Elena’s been acting. She treated Damon like crap in 4×04, telling him she didn’t want to be like him. Remember when he wanted her to feed on that one girl and Elena wouldn’t do it after she saw the picture of her sister? If she was sired to Damon, she wouldn’t have been able to stop herself. Also, at the end of 4×06, Damon told Elena to work things out with Stefan and what does she do? She breaks up with him. If she was really sired to Damon, she would have stayed with Stefan because that’s what he told her to do. It doesn’t add up.

I think they could have waited a bit on the sex. She did just break up with Stefan the day before. Regardless, I’m especially upset that their first love scene was annoyingly crosscut with Caroline and Stefan theorizing. I understand why they did that from a dramatic point of view, but some of us fans have been waiting 3 years for that moment. Not cool TVD. Not cool.

19. S says:

So I use to love both brothers in different ways but I now officially hate Stefan. Next week he basically is saying Damon is no good for Elena. I guess he thinks Damon doesn’t deserved to be loved like him.

• Julie says:

Or you know, he’s a normal guy who got dumped by his girlfriend who is now with his brother and it hurts and upsets him! Yeah, that’s no reason for him to be angry right? *Rolls eyes*. Honestly.

20. I was disappointed this episode didn’t have more interaction between the brothers. What’s bothered me about this love triangle the most, particularly this last season, is what it’s doing to their relationship. I’d like them getting closer, not drifting further apart.

21. Aviewer says:

Damon is not a good guy and not good for Elena and all you Delena fans are so ridiculous. You all try and gloss over his bad behavior so that Elena being with him would make sense. I truly hope the writers take the show in the direction THEY want and the direction that makes SENSE and not let the fans dictate what they want to see.

• WE says:

I agree! Damon has done some horrible things over the past few seasons that everyone forgets about. Caroline has very good reason to dislike him!

• Sara says:

We all know Damon has done terrible things. The point is SO HAS STEFAN. It would be okay if both brothers got called out equally, but that never happens.

22. Little Scarf Girl says:

I was really disappointed by the way they handled this plotline. Damon’s my favorite character, although I really don’t care much about Elena, so I’m not heavily invested in one coupling over the other. (If I had it my way, Elena would have stayed a human and ended up with Matt years from now.) But Elena was attracted to Damon way before she became a vampire. They’ve had significant moments over the seasons, particularly last season. It makes sense for her attraction to him to be heightened by her vampirism, and the dance scene and subsequent making out made sense. But why throw in Caroline having a “brilliant” revelation that Elena might be sired to Damon? How does she know it’s rare, or even a thing? She’s been a vampire for less than a year. It also doesn’t line up with siring being “grateful” for saving from pain, which is what the hybrids feel. Elena didn’t want to be a vampire. It tarnishes the genuine scene between Elena and Damon, because now you’re wondering if her attraction to him is only because of her being sired to him. Even if it gets handwaved away very quickly (which I really hope it does – this is a stupid plotline that doesn’t make sense. How do you unsire from a vampire? Damon didn’t save her from any pain.) it still colors your view of that episode, which is disappointing. On a separate note, I’m not liking Jeremy’s crazed determination to kill vampires, or Stefan’s crazy determination to make Elena human again, or Caroline’s weirdly opinionated rants against Damon. And why are we trying to make Klaus sympathetic? It works, I admit, but we don’t want to like him. :|

23. cote says:

I’m not either a Delena or Stelena fan. But this “sire” thing is beyond ridiculous. She’s always had a thing for Damon, yeah it was kind of abrupt how she would sleep with him just after breaking up with Stefan, but come on! The feelings have always been there. Hope this is just some silly theory of Caroline

24. Hikari says:

By the way, has anyone else noticed that Stefan looks like a hybrid baby of Edward Cullen and Justin Biebers? Just sayin’. :P

25. liliana says:

I liked this episode and i am Stelena all the way!! Delena sex was a fail, i am sorry to say that, but it was! I loved Stefan and Caroline they have a beautiful friendship! and Caroline is right the only way Elena would “love” Damon is being sired, Elena is attracted to Damon and her feelings are magnified but she don’t love him it’s because she is sired to him! Elena did all things Damon asked her to do like killing Connor!! It’s like Klaus did to Stefan, Tyler and Hybrids! Stelena will be endgame, like Caroline said their are epic and soulmates! Damon is clearly an obstacle!! And i will totally loose more respect for Damon if he knows about this!

26. T'Kia says:

Elena has lost all respect in my eyes. Stefan can do better than her. I’m sorry but she had sex with the brother of the man she suppose to love. If I was Stefan I would never forgive her sired or not. Elena is the one that keeps stringing them both along, and I don’t but that because she has her memories back that it made her more confused. It was clear from the start that she always felt something for Damon, which to me was just wrong. Damon is no better either. They both deserve each other. Find Stefan a different love interest. Hell bring back Katherine for that matter. Let Elena watch Stefan fall for someone else. I hope that the writers stop making Stefan find a way to rescue/save/cure or whatever for Elena. Let Damon do it since she wants him that bad.

27. charissa29 says:

I kind of think that the whole sire thing is brilliant. It allows for bringing Damon and Elena together and yet still shows up why Stefan is the better choice. Damon making use of the sire bond is so awful that it gives us a reason to want Elena to be human again. Fabulous job! Is it just me or does Elena seem pregnant? Ehh, I guess I don’t really care but I am interested in seeing where this whole siring thing goes! Bring back Rebecca! I want to see here and Hayley interact!

28. billie says:

JEREMY AND MATT it’s happening , the amount of scenes they’re sharing is giving me so much hope ! Not to mention the fact that they’re now living together !
    Go home April no one loves you ! it’s meremy all the way

29. SSS says:

Do you think Damon knew Elena was sired to him ?

30. TK says:

I think Caroline keeps pushing it because she feels guilty for her feelings for Klaus. But really when she became a vampire she changed a lot too. The nice guy she’d been with while human(poor Matt) just didn’t work out. Now I know it’s different reasons, but becoming a vampire changes a person.

I also think that it was more what she found out when she became a vampire. All the memories came back and Damon was a pretty good guy in those moments he made human Elena forget. And let’s face it, Stephan is being pretty awful about Elena becoming a vampire. I mean he’s actually doing all the things that kept her away from Damon previously..

31. M. says:

If the writers are actually going to push this sire-bondtheory through they are going to need to explain a lot of things. For example, when Elena couldn’t keep the animal blood down for the first time Damon hadn’t even said to her that she should drink blood straight from the vain. He said that to Stefan. Only after she barfed for the first time Damon actually said to her that she should drink from the vain. And a lot of other things just wouldn’t add up to the whole sire-bondtheory. It just doesn’t make sense. And I think that Caroline just misinterpreted what Klaus said.

32. Thats Stupid. Damon shares blood with caroline to so y isnt She Sired. And being Sired to someone doesnt make u want to have sex with them. Tyler was Sired to klaus and he hated him. Damon never said have sex with me it dance with me or anything like that. Elena wanted Damon and for once acted on her feelings. Caroline and stefan have to go take a hike. Plus Damon never toldo her She couldnt keep his blood down. And the night on the bridge he golf her to get inside and She didnt listen so She Cant be Sired.

33. sarah says:

Climax..love it!
    I am fine with the sire storyline. It makes sense. When Elena was human she was in love with Stefan and so when she died and became a vampire that should have magnified 10 fold. However it did not. Yes she may have had small feelings for Damon when she was human but she disliked him more so her dislike should have overpowered her attraction to him. Therefore the Sired storyline makes sense!

34. Alissa says:

I understand everything that has been said previously. However, I don’t agree with a lot of it. For example, the part about Damon being evil (the “rape”, and “murder of elena’s brother” and elena’s family) is completely out of context. One significant issue in this series is growth. Damon has grown the most out of every character on this show (not even rivaled by Caroline). He went from being Stefan’s evil older brother to the compassionate friend who saved Elena from suicide on the bridge. He went from selfish murderer to Elana’s confidant when she didn’t trust Stefan. The bed scene (when elena wakes up after being saved by Damon) shows his trumendous growth well. He had the opportunity to glorify his good deeds. But instead, he took the said opportunity to tell Elena that Stefan has been working the entire time to help her. He could have ignored Stefan but he actually tried to help bring them closer together!

No, you cannot ignore Damon’s past. But nor can you ignore his present! Stefan has never really grown. He is what my 5th grade teacher would consider a “flat” character. Yes, he has a dark (ripper) side. But his personality is so boring and “good”. But may I remind you what he did to Jeremy on last night’s episode?

So… think about it. When was the last time that Damon did something truly evil and selfish? And when was the last time Stefan did something evil or selfish? (hint: Stefan did something both evil AND selfish last night’s episode).

I think of it like a scale– Damon started as (what appeared to be) truly evil. He ended (or at last is presently) kind, encouraging, compassionate and loving. Stefan, on the other hand, started out good, had a ripper phase (which wasn’t really him. It was more that he lost control when Klaus recruited him), and went back to being “perfect”. Plus, I don’t know about you, but it seemed like Elena fell for him awfully quickly. There doesn’t seem to be a real fire in their relationship. It was more like “OMG we were meant t be! I luv u!” This bond between Damon and Elena has been forged by the intensity of Damon’s growth throughout the entire series. I find it hard to believe that anyone could argue against the fact that Damon and Elena share a deep bond.

It seems to me that in the light of that, Elena’s bond goes so much deeper with Damon than it ever has, or ever will with Stefan.

MY THEORY: I have a theory, though. Damon seems to defy all logic in this story; he was evil for an entire season and killed a ton of people. And yet the audience still fell in love with him (even before he showed signs of goodness). Why? I think it’s partly because of Nina and Ian’s relationship in real life. Their connection was felt even through the acting on the show, which is why Delena has succeeded the way it has. Obviously that’s not the whole reason, but it may be why Delena is such a believeable and lovable combination.

MY THOUGHTS ON SIREING: That last scene was fantastic no matter the fact that Stefan and Caroline were talking about the sireing. We really don’t have enough information on sireing yet to know the true effects of it. But here are my thoughts.

Julie Plec admitted that Elena is indeed sired to Damon. She has not been “slave like” at all (like what happened to Klaus’s hybrids), which leads me to believe that there are two different types of sireing. But based on our past “sireing” experiences with the show…

*When Klaus sired the werewolves no one fell in love with him. They became almost like slaves. Elena has not been Damon’s slave at all. She has refused him multiple times (at the college, when she refused to drink from that girl with the cell phone, even when Damon told her to). She was never forced to make out with him or anything.
    *Supposedly your personality is amplified when you become an vampire (didn’t see that with Caroline… but ok…). If she really loved Stefan so much, then why did she fall more in love with Damon (considering the above bullet point)? It seems to me like she loved Damon more when she was alive, but she loved Stefan a lot too. But the difference was small. But when she became a vampire the difference was magnified and she can now tell that she loves Damon more.
    *Why would Stefan want to change her? Is it just me or does it seem like Elena hasn’t changed much? Still a weak character with little personality. I don’t see the change in her that Stefan and Caroline seem to. But Damon doesn’t care, or want to change her.
    *The whole thing is awful for Damon. Come on! He has been so good! He finally gets a chance with Elena and then it’s taken away from him.
    *ONE THING that super annoyed me was the fact that Damon would even have sex with Elena. He should have been WAAAY more considerate of Stefan.

QUESTION: In the promo Stefan said “she was sired to you. And you took full advantage of that” right after flash backs to the sex scene were showed. Does that mean that Stefan finds out that Damon and Elena had sex? What do you think?

35. ann says:

Doesn’t matter until may 2013

36. olivia says:

the last episode was horrible for both stefan and damon fans. how could elena just sleep with damon after just breaking up with stefan? what an inconsiderate girl, i lost all my respect for her then and there. yet, i also wondered how a love as strong as theirs could end with elena being so cold to him as if it meant nothing. but finding out that she only acted so…repulsively on those feelings makes sense if she’s sired. also, people really need to calm down and stop attacking the producers of the show. elena being sired to damon is a rare thing! unlike klaus and the bond that his hybrids have to him, elena and damon are not hybrids so obviously the sired bond between them is DIFFERENT! so maybe we will find out what differs between the two bonds. i’m totally team stefan because i would never be for someone like damon who goes after his brother’s love, knowing how much he loves elena. would stefan sleep with elena if she belonged to damon first without blinking an eye? i doubt it. we don’t know which way the writers are going with the show, but to end it with delena and leaving stefan out to be alone is the worst ending possible. it’s so annoying how people say that stefan had his turn and that it’s now damon’s turn, how can you people seriously think that? what kind of love story stems from “yeah she loved my brother first, but then now im with her and he’s gone off somewhere else. but who cares? i got the girl! woohoo!”

37. JDHetherington says:

The Sire bond just adds another layer to the love triangle. And it adds a complication to Damon and Elena’s relationship, just like Stefan’s blood lust and Ripper tendencies complicated his and Elena’s. Caroline has made her feelings on Damon pretty clear BEFORE Elena broke up with Stefan, so the fact that even after that Elena still chose Damon, made me completely understand what Caroline was saying. I like the Jeremy stuff, though I’m wondering about Shane / Haley / Connor / Pastor Young. A new council? A secret society? A cult that worship that Silas guy? Very interesting….

38. Erin says:

What I want to know is what happened to that promo pic that showed Klaus trying to kiss Caroline? Surely I didn’t just miss that in the episode itself…

39. K. Michele says:

I think it’s completely nasty for her to sleep with brothers like that. Ewww!

40. Atenas says:

Oh please come on, Damon meet Elena 1st, thats a fact, period. She had feelings for him since day 1 of seen him but naturally having that kind of feelings for your bro in law is not good, specally if you already had sex with brother #1…but that was before, now she is a vampire so she doesnt have to hide no more. I saw seasons 1-3 two times in a row so I had analyzed this girl she has feelings for Stefan too and I think she stayed with him out of loyalty but now she knows the real Stefan and know the real Damon in a way no one knows well I guess there is no reason on holding down her feelings.

41. Teagen says:

Havnt any of yous watched the show god the witch told damin and Stephen that for her to be sired to him she must of had feeling like love human love for that vampire so obvi she loved him when she was a human she just didnt won’t to admitt it but as thoughs feelings where magnified becuase she was a vampire she couldn’t Denie it anymore and also he did tell her they were gonna have sex or tell her to have feelings for him or tell her to date him her feelings where real but she was sired becuase he broke the sire by tellin her to go home and not to be with him it will make him happy so watch and understand before you assume she didn’t love him and think she only had attraction to him which in the end she loved him and was attracted to him just like the ghost of rosé said Stephan is the good choice but damin and better he challengs her pushes her to be the best she can be !!!!

42. Delena is the hottest couple.elena is nt sired she just luvs demon.she has always ,she was wth stephane just bcoz he saved her life so she felt lyk she owed hm smethng.she is nt sired ths is real love.

43. Alex says:

I just hate elina because she is too selfish, Both brothers are just like a toy like a toy for her. I love the way stefan in season4/10 wants to forget her memories, and prefers his proud rather than love. Someday elina do the same to Damon, exactly like kathrine did.

44. visit says:

Wonderful article! This is the kind of info that
    are supposed to be shared across the web. Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioning this put
    up higher! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you
    =)

45. victoria says:

really,it doesnt matter if she is sired or not if she didnt love damon she wouldnt have sex with him. But she did.just stefan doesnt know that yet.

46. vinnie says:

i hated d movie immediately i saw elena give damon a kiss when he was close to dying. Now i cant continue with the watching. Elena deserves someone great n damon is d last word in greatness… Pissd!!!!!