Nashville Recap: Just Duet

Thanks be to Tammy Wynette, Rayna and Juliette finally performed together in this week’s Nashville. And their bitchily delicious duet did more than polish Juliette’s image and give Rayna a much needed introduction to a new fanbase: It knit the singers’ storylines into an eminently watchable hour of soapy drama. Bring on the tour! (But first, let’s review the major developments of “Lovesick Blues.”)

THE COLEMAN ULTIMATUM | Teddy’s political opponent still has those photos of him and Peggy, and Coleman takes a page out of Lamar’s backstabbing book when he announces he’s not afraid to release them to the press… unless Rayna’s hubby drops out of the mayoral race by the weekend. Teddy again asserts his innocence. “You know what, Teddy? I believe you,” his former pal says. “I just don’t think anyone else will.” So Teddy ends things, such as they are, with Peggy via phone (stay classy, Tedster). Meanwhile, he says nothing to Rayna. Maybe it’s because they share a love so passionate he’s afraid his admission will cause her to crazy murder Peggy and… no, I can’t even get that sentence out without laughing so hard my eyes blur with tears. Take that scene where Teddy comes home for movie night – you know, the one in which the show’s writers give him and Rayna all the chemistry of two patients in a doctor’s waiting room during flu season. I take back everything I said about Rayna and Deacon’s endless break-up talks; I’d gladly re-tread that charismatic ground instead of watching these two characters politely peck each other hello and goodbye. (And if you tell me it’s just because they’re comfortable with each other after so many years, I have one Mr. and Mrs. Coach I’d like you to meet. That’s how a real, loving, long-term relationship really looks. Well… on TV. You know what I mean.) Anyway, Lamar pulls some nasty strings and gets Coleman’s drug arrest – which was going to be dismissed – back on track. By the time he clears his name, Rayna’s daddy drawls, the mayoral race will be long over.

SING AND BEAR IT | Juliette’s G-rated dalliance with angelic quarterback Sean isn’t exactly boosting her public image, and it’s killing his – a la Tony Romo in the J.Simp era. Marshall at the record label suggests that Juliette duet with Rayna  — beloved among industry folk and fans alike — at an upcoming anniversary concert. Juju hates the idea. He also pitches the idea to Rayna, who’s no more enamored of it than her blonde competition. But as much as the two divas moan and kvetch, Marshall is ultimately their boss, so they both agree. (At least Rayna gets a promise that her next album will be full of her collaborations with Liam instead of the greatest hits lineup the label is pushing.) It also doesn’t hurt that Deacon shows up as a sexy voice of reason for both ladies — that man could put me on the straight and narrow any time.

When the Rayna/Juliette song negotiations break down after a particularly nasty outburst from the elder stateswoman, Ju takes off and jumps Sean to distract herself. But this is one QB who’s not trying to score. “Are you gay?” she cries before tossing him out. Don’t worry, he’ll be fine – from the looks of those abs, Sean fills his lonely hours working out with Oliver Queen. Rayna shows up at Ms. Barnes’ house soon after with an idea: They should write an original song to perform at the concert. “You wanna write with me?” Juliette says skeptically. “Nope!” Rayna replies, and Britton’s reading of that line made me howl. But they stay up all night and grudgingly throw together “You’ve Got the Wrong Song,” which I really liked but I’m not sure I would’ve chosen to bring the house down at a concert like this. I’m kinda with Juliette when she says performing untested material in such a huge venue on such a big night isn’t the best idea. But everyone seems to love it, most notably Rayna’s daughters (did you see the joy on their cute faces when Juliette walks on stage? Ha!) and Sean, who shows up to tell Juliette that he’s not sleeping with anyone outside of marriage but he really likes her. Oh, and he’s not gay. (Though I might be now, such was the power of Juliette’s aggressively short sequined number.)

SCARLETT’S WALK | Scarlett is dealing with her and Avery’s break-up by crying to her Uncle Deacon’s songs at The Bluebird and refusing to write with Gunnar. Avery is dealing with it by sleeping with manager Marilyn, playing his biggest gig yet and meeting music biz impresarios. (They’re going to bring Wyclef Jean back, right? That was one brief guest appearance.) For Gunnar’s sake, Hailey spruces Scarlett up and takes her out for the traditional heartbreak cure: tequila shots and slutty dancing. But when Gunnar sees his musical partner working the floor, jumping up on stage to sing the sweetest “Ring of Fire” I’ve ever heard and then making out with a random guy, he gets crazy. And yeah, Hailey totally notices.

Scar breaks a land-speed record running back to Avery, but she barely has time to get out, “I miss you so much –” before Marilyn saunters out of the bedroom in a bra and jeans. And still, Avery wants a Good Doo-Bee award for not sleeping with Marilyn until after they broke up. Ok, dude, here you go: I formally bestow upon you the I Kept It In My Pants for Three Days Medal of Valor. Wear it proudly. At least Scarlett’s shock has an upside: She later finds Gunnar and tells him she’s ready to get back to songwriting.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Do you want to see more Juliette/Rayna interaction? What did you think of the song they cooked up? Sound off in the comments!

1. Mick says:

Definitely the best episode of the show since the pilot.

2. Juan says:

Awesome ep, best one

3. kavyn says:

That’s an amazing title.

4. James says:

As the audience now gets to know everyone better, I’m enjoying how the show is playing with expectations about what certain characters will do and how others will react. Also like the nods to real-life personalities. And I’d write with Gunnar any day. :P

5. Ian Edmondson says:

Great duet between Rayna and Juliette but Scarlett stole the show with her haunting version of Ring of Fire

6. GeoDiva says:

I was so scared for Hayden’s hemline! Otherwise, it was a great episode and loved the duet.

7. rowan77 says:

Hey Kimberly – I agree with your assessment all the way around (nice to know I’m not the only one bored with Teddy and Rayna’s lack of chemistry. Bring on the Deacon!), but unless you’re saying Avery is vying for the marijuana award, I think you’ve misspelled “Do-Bee,” as in from Romper Room. Am I wrong?

• Kimberly Roots says:

You’re right — and I have been educated. Thanks! (Though a little wacky tobacco might mellow Avery out a little…)

8. fiyero says:

Awesome episode, but I just cannot stand Scarlett. She just seems to let all the guys in her life treat her like crap and tell her what to do. I know Gunnar meant well, but she didn’t even make him apologize for speaking to her like that! And, she did the same thing with Avery.

• 100% agreement regarding Scarlett. She has no backbone and really lets the men in her life give all the direction. It makes it hard to cheer for her.

• Olive says:

Yeah, Scarlett is annoying. The actress kind of annoys me, too. Her whole story is meh. They need to find someone else to rock the C-story.

• Carolyn says:

i actually like Scarlett’s storyline because she represents a lot of women. i think they are laying the groundwork for her to learn to stand up for herself and be her own woman. She’s young and a lot of women do exactly what she has done and is doing. She is a good counterpoint to Juliette.

9. Jack Wahl says:

I really enjoy this show. Thank goodness for TiVo so I can watch this and CSI .

10. Olive says:

It’s Juliette’s interactions with Rayna that make the show for me. Nashville needs more of those two together. Yes, bring on the tour.

11. Amy says:

More chemistry between Rayna and Deacon in their short interactions than spineless Teddy and Rayna. Show is finally heading towards where it should be — more interaction between Rayna and Juliette and HOPEFULLY Rayna and Deacon. The election subplot is tiresome.

• Lily says:

I completely agree with you, one scene between Deacon and Rayna and BAM chemistry all around the place… Teddy and Rayna don’t have this spark. I really hope to see more of them in the winter finale (and more Rayna/Juliette would be perfect, too)

• Amy says:

Teddy is supposed to fess up to Rayna next episode. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for getting Deacon back into the picture.

• lily says:

That’s exactly what I thought when I’ve seen the promo for next week… I would be really surprised if Deacon and Rayna doesn’t make out during the winter finale or at least start to be close again

• Carolyn says:

I’m pretty sure from hints that Rayna started dating Teddy because Deacon was deep in his addiction. I’m pretty sure that the oldest child is Deacons or Rayna thinks it could be and she rushed to marry Teddy to cover that possibility and by the time Deacon got his life together it was too late.

12. onlyakb says:

it was marvelous !! Scarlett singing Ring oF Fire was really cool, but the best moment for me was Rayna appearing on Julie door being the bigger person and : Do you have coffee? loved!! and their duet , really liked that! I seriously can’t understand how this show isn’t doing better on the ratings!

13. HEATHER says:

This is my fav new show! I have LOVED all the episodes! I just can’t get enough of Scarlett and Gunnar! Plus I am loving Juliette and Sean! The duet tonight was killer… just as good as I hoped it to be! Keep it up Nashville! :)

14. SA says:

I really loved this episode but ready for Teddy just to go away already. He and everything about his story is too boring. Loved Rayna and Juliette together and I loved the foursome of those two with Deacon and Liam. These four are the bread and butter of the show. I was less enamored of Scarlet’s “Ring of Fire” then others. Find her little girl voice when she sings as annoying as her character.

15. Get It says:

If Juliette’s dress was any shorter…you’d be able to see some stuff. Other than that, good episode.

16. The lyrics of Wrong Song were fantastic. Is it an original song? Loved it and the duet just sizzled.

17. intelliwoman says:

Good episode, might start watching this live instead of on VOD every few weeks

18. lala303 says:

Hey, did anyone else notice that the episode info said that “Teddy tells Rayna everything?” There must have been some last minute changes. I’m glad they didn’t have that in this episode. I thought everything was just right and was one of my favorites so far.

19. Belinda says:

I believe this is where the show has been headed since the pilot. GREAT interaction between Rayna and Juliette (and am I hallucinating to think there might just be some mutual respect blossoming?)! TOTALLY agree about Rayna and Teddy … I’m just bored with the whole politics storyline. And Rayna and Deacon … endgame, for sure. I’m really loving this show right now, maybe even because of the music, and I’m not a country music fan!

20. Forwarddad says:

WTH with Winter Finale? And where is this story headed with Liam?

• Amy says:

They’re saying “Winter Finale” on a bunch of shows. Must just be because of winter break. No new episodes to look forward to until January.

• Liam Luvs Sean says:

ooh! WOULDN’T IT BE GREAT IF LIAM WAS HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH THE QUARTERBACK?!
      I.
      Would.
      Die!
      (Why am I still up??) Going to bed now singing, “you got the wrong song!”
      2nd best ep of the season after pilot. Great work guys.

21. BJohnson says:

The marriage storyline with Rayna and Teddy started episode 1 with it being strained. They both have secrets from each other. I think the show was setting up the passion between Rayna and Deacon to show how much happier she is when she is relaxed. Teddy becoming a candidate and what he’s willing to cover up and how he is more like Rayna’s dad than he is willing to admit. The show is going great I hope ABC gives it a second season because the chemistry between the actors are great and the songs are awesome. Bonus for us getting to hear Scarlett sing but I want another Scarlett/Gunnar duet. I am so in love with “Fade Into You.”

22. Coryrox says:

1st off I’m so glad someone is recapping this awesome show! I love the old vs new dynamic with Reyna and Juliette, and I like that they are having Reyna explore some different sounds. The virginal QB may have the ugliest tattoo I have ever seen, but perhaps he will be a good influence on Juliette. Avery is kind of a douche and I’m not sure how he and Scarlett ever got together. Gunnar is definitely more her speed, though I do wish they would do something about his leaning tower of pompadour. I noticed for the first time how smokin Hailey is last night…way out of your league Gunnar.

23. Boiler says:

I echo everyone else. This was a great episode and look forward to it continuing

24. Amy says:

Ha! Just noticed the title of your recap, Kimberly. Very funny! Have you been waiting to use that one?

25. mel says:

great episode! love this show!!!

26. JAOTAO says:

Wrong Song is on iTunes by another artist. I want the version that was done on the show!! Loved this episode.

27. tvguy says:

Got to say loved the episode. The duet was great. But was it just me or did the music seem to over power the vocals on that song, Love to hear another version where its easier to hear the lyrics. Or maybe im getting a little old.

28. dj says:

I think Sean and Juliette story line improve the show. More please..

29. Janet cox says:

Teddy needs to go and Deacon and Reyna need to get together………….then the story lines can really begin. Teddy’s character and the plot around him are both weak.