Rider Strong Chimes In on Girl Meets World: 'I Have No Official Involvement'

Boy Meets WorldGirl Meets World minus “Uncle” Shawn?

Rider Strong, who played Cory’s best friend Shawn Hunter on Boy Meets World, is weighing in on the buzzy Disney Channel pilot: It seems his bad boy with a heart of gold will be MIA — for now, at least.

RELATED | Danielle Fishel Assures Boy Meets World Fans: Sequel Will Boast the ‘Same Honesty, Intelligence’

“At this point, I have no official involvement” with the potential sequel, the actor writes on his website, adding that he is “extremely happy” that co-stars Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel are “able to continue the story” as Cory and Topanga, the parents of Girl‘s 13-year-old heroine, Riley.

That’s not to say an appearance from Shawn — or other players from the original series — is out of the question. “There might be a chance to see some of the BMW cast in a guest spot, and I think it would be nice to find out where our characters have been all these years,” continues Strong.

But as he notes, “Girl Meets World will be, and I think it should be, its own show. It will be about Cory and Topanga, their daughter and a new set of characters.”

Are you disappointed Shawn’s not in a part of the potential show (for now)? Hit the comments!

1. rebecca says:

Screw Girl Meets World, just bring back Boy Meets World.. 90s kids like myself will totally watch.

• YayGMW says:

Beggars can’t be choosers. After all this time, I’ll take what I can get!

• Eli says:

Yes, we will watch the first couple of episodes, but by then most of us will be bored with it, because it just doesn’t hold up in the modern day tv universe and will abandon it for things we like right now.
      Stop being a misguided nostalgic fool.

• Lydia seymour says:

I agree with this girl!! 90’s baby all the way! Boy meets world is the best!!! Nothing can top it, shouldn’t even try!!!

• Ramarro says:

I agree, Boy Meets World is the best, but I’ll at least give it a chance, even though I also agree that it won’t be the same without Shawn.

• Kat Hopkins says:

They arnt trying to “top” “Boy Meets World” they are only making a sequal. I’m looking forward to it.

• Lola says:

Of course nothings better than that show! But it has too be one of Disney’s first shows that really teach modern kids something. There are different problems with kids today; for one they’re too damn fast! And in either the in the first or third episode Lucus told the little fast chick that they were only in the 7th grade and she didn’t have to show him her skin. Cory even gave his students ( yeah he teachs now; his daughters class!) an assignment to give up their phones and live in the real world.

• Alisha says:

give it a chance, you never know what it could be like, i am a 90s kid, and can’t wait to see how this one plays out!

2. K says:

BUT WHAT OF UNCLE ERIC??

3. Ami says:

I’m totally excited for the show, but completely bumbed Shawn won’t be in it. Don’t think it’ll be the same. Saying this as a 90s kid myself who STILL watches the reruns

4. Courtney says:

Yeah, it should be it’s own show, but with Cory&Topanga there and not Shawn, it’s like, what happened to him? ‘Cause if they say something just offhandedly about them not being friends with Shawn anymore/haven’t seen him in years/he lives far away now or whatever, it will break my heart. Danielle said they don’t want to ruin the legacy of BMW, but Shawn not being around for whatever reason will.. the series ended with him moving away with them so… = (. I wish Ben&Danielle the best, and can kind of understand why some people want this series.. but I kind of just want it to fail before they can do any damage to BMW.

• Taylor says:

GMW failing is the one thing that would do damage to BMW’s legacy.

• Emma says:

He could just live in a different state/city from the Matthews. They don’t have to say they aren’t friends anymore.

• jmoor89 says:

I agree. I think without Shawn it is going to be totally strange. Shawn was a HUGE part of Cory & Topanga’s lives. They would never have only had him come visit for Thanksgiving. It doesnt make me very happy thats for sure.

• Lena says:

I agree I really think they should have him on the show… maybe with a son that falls in love with their daughter… 2 bestfriends who’s kids fall in love … I say yes…

• Lola says:

Thats a possibly actually. The other charactera are supposed to come on as guests. But they said that we shouldnt exect a shawn and angela, just a shawn…………. and angela. Nothing good is supposed to happen to shawn actually.

5. Mare says:

Where does this Leave Eric??

6. SVCloiser says:

It would be cool of him being Uncle Shawn ;( he is Cory’s other half next to Topanga.

7. Kelly says:

i wish boy meets world was on netflix so i can watch the entire series again. i am so excited about this girl meets world idea and hope everyone from BMW can at least randomly guest star in scattered episodes.

• Meg says:

Episodes are on Youtube and one of the MTV channels does four or five hours of BMW on the weekends…I think maybe it’s MTV2 and on Saturdays, but I’m not sure.

• emily says:

boy meets world is on abcfamily channel every morning from 7am to 930am..
      at least you can watch it every morning, i do

8. Winnie says:

I am a a little disappointed – Shawn was my favorite character – but Rider Strong makes a good point about accepting the new show as a separate entity with ties to another show. Just like a child may resemble her parents, but has her own personality. [/weak The More You Know moment]

9. Gina says:

Will friedle (?) has a fear of going outside supposedly! That’s y have apparently hasn’t fine a whole lot since! But hopefully that’s all wrong n they find a way to bring him back!!

• Michelle says:

That’s not true. Why don’t you look at IMDB.

• Akimboooo says:

What about his imdb? It’s all animated stuff; he hasn’t been seen onscreen for years and he’s wealthy/busy enough to have a recording studio in his home. I heard he was agoraphobic, too. It would definitely explain why someone so talented isn’t on primetime television.

• Joey says:

I can understand why someone would think that, considering the guy has done almost exclusively voice acting work since he was on Boy Meets World, but yeah, his IMDB says he loves traveling, which would be very difficult to do if he didnt leave his house.

• Jim says:

Yeah because IMDB is always right…
          Furthermore, you can travel with complete anonymity, acting in front of a camera not so much so that argument doesn’t hold water, although i can help be wonder, Why do we care? if he doesn’t like going outside or on camera work anymore then that’s his business, we can hope for a phone call but i doubt other than Mr feeny any more of the original cast is Unlikely.as it would pollute the narrative focusing on Cory’s Daughter.

• Nico says:

the fact that all of his recent work has been voice work since 2005 for American animation which doesn’t require much human contact other than sound engineers at a studio or can be done from a home studio I wouldn’t immediately discount some sort of social phobia or simply a dislike for acting that requires him to actually appear on screen.

• Meg says:

Ron Stoppable! I credit Will Friedle for not just the Feeny call, but for introducing the word “snackage” into my life.

• Alyssa says:

just an FYI… all of his recent work is not animation. he just had a short arc on Grey’s Anatomy this past month…

• klo says:

Alyssa, William Daniels was on Greys, not Will Friedel ( Eric), who is the one being referred to that does a lot of voice work.

• Sean says:

That’s not true, I used to see Will on a regular basis in LA, he’s extremely nice and still hilarious.

10. ABC says:

I’m hoping that he does a guest spot, but I had a feeling Rider would not be into this project. As long as the show writes a good excuse (Shawn is a world traveler or something), I think it will be okay. Cory and Shawn just not being friends anymore is unacceptable.

11. Michelle says:

This just says he has no “official” involvement yet, which means no contracts have been signed. I’m sure there will be “Uncle Shawn” appearances and of course there will be “Uncle Eric.” I’m excited.

12. KSM says:

I think it is ok. I mean, as you get older, you just don’t get to see your friends as much as you all get married and have kids and jobs and life gets in the way. But I still think they need him to make some guest appearances!!

13. Jon says:

Rider Strong is the reason I couldn’t stomach the original Boy Meets World. If he’s not coming back, I may watch the sequel.

14. fiyero says:

I’m really hoping that TPTB do whatever it takes to get Rider Strong to sign on. I don’t think Cory would be complete without Shawn.

I get that it’s a new show, but, let’s be honest, what’s going to bring people in is the old show.

15. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Translation: low budget reboot that can’t afford anything more than letting them guest star now and then.

16. mia says:

But Shawn is their neighbour! Lol. Shawn and Angela!

17. J says:

I’m ok with Shawn not being in it all the time as long as he does a guest spot or two. After all, best friends or not, it would be a bit wierd for Shawn to always be around now that all the characters are in their 30s and have careers. The show is about Riley so to have Shawn in every episode would be like if Amy and Allan’s friends were in every episode of Boy Meets World. As long as Shawn, Eric, and Feeny each appear in at least one episode I will be happy. (Also, just saying, it would be pretty funny if the first episode of Girl Meets World had Feeny still as the principal…perhaps working his last day before retiring? Although nothing will beat his last line from the Boy Merts World Series finale).

18. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

“No official involvement” doesn’t mean “no involvement.” Uncle Shawn will be on the show. He has to be. I’m thisclose to getting my favorite TV kids back together again. It’s like Zack Morris without Slater … does not compute. Disney, do what you have to!

19. Patti says:

I’m more interested in the original characters but this show is more than likely going to focus on a whole new set of kids and not the adults.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

One person gets it. This show is not about reuniting everyone from an old show you used to watch. It’s a new show about new kids with two of the old actors as parents. I don’t get why people think they are going to get the old cast back in it’s entirety. Doesn’t make sense.

20. English says:

Maybe they could have Shawn come and visit occasionally like Aunt Dolly did in Hannah Montana.

21. Amanda Pena says:

I own the entire series and watch it religiously…I’ve never been more obsessed with a genuine, good quality tv series. It won’t be the same if Rider Strong isn’t a part of the main cast. Boy Meets World has always centered around Cory, Shawn, and Topanga…not just Cory and Topanga. They need to keep those three important characters together. Plus it would be kind of awesome if Shawn and Angela were also together and had a child of their own! (just saying..)

22. AB says:

After seeing Rider Strong multiple times getting high on people’s stoops in my neighborhood, I am honestly surprised he didn’t completely lose it. For awhile, he was starting to blend in with the bums.

23. Gabrielle says:

But…..but….shawn :( You can’t break up Cory and Shawn! And In my head I wanted Shawn and Angela to have a son to have a thing for Cory and Topanga’s daughter lol

24. Yikes says:

I looked up the actress who played Angela, and she had some horrible plastic surgery or something (like Lisa from SBTB). Her face looks completely ruined. If Shawn does come on, I hope it’s not with her.

25. Seuss4prez says:

Long live Boy Meets World! Glad it’s the same people behind the scenes as well. I’m with whoever said just bring the old characters back and have it mainly about them. The daughter and friends can be more sideline players. I will take what I can get though. Must have Eric in it. The college years were the funniest by far because of him. Rewatching them now on abc. Show is just so awesome. I’m so so excited!!

26. Courtney says:

Kind of hoping that Alan&Amy make a return as awesome grandparents.

27. AL says:

I stopped watching BMW around the college years. The show just seemed to lose some of it’s wholesomeness. As unwholesome as I believe the Simpsons are, those kids never get any older. (Granted, as animations it is easier.) So, for me, Angela isn’t even relevant. Shawn’s older brother (Josh?) isn’t even *that* relevant. I don’t think I’ll watch the new show (for various reasons), mostly because I’m happy with what I had and that I stopped when I did.

• Raimani says:

Josh is Cory’s younger brother. JACK was Sean’s older brother. But I agree jack isn’t relevant! But as for Angela I think it would be a good way for them to put Shawn into the show.

28. Sade says:

I’m really hoping that they bring Rider on board. His character of Shawn was a huge part of the show. If you remember the show was about Shawn and Cory eight percent of the time, he even moved away with them in the end. So if he isn’t part of Cory and Topanga’s life, it just wouldn’t feel right to me.

It’s true that we should be treating Girl Meets World as it’s own entity but I think we should respect the story and the characters that came before it otherwise what’s the point? I will probably still watch the show but I definitely won’t be as invested if it’s not done right.

29. Lori says:

They should have made it so that Riley was best friends with Shawn and Angela’s kid. That would have made sense! And Uncle Eric would be hilarious, plus Amy and Allan would be fantastic grandparents. It would also be nice to see Aunt Morgan and Uncle Josh. Plus, Feeney needs to at least make appearances as the man who gives her and her friends advice. I just don’t see this being as amazing as BMW was.

30. Midori4 says:

My best friend and I have known each other for almost a decade. I have seen him 5-6 times this year. It’s nit like you see them every day of your life.

• lara says:

yeah, but how many people who started dating when they were 3 actually get married? This show was not totally realistic, and the Shawn that we knew would not see Cory 5/6x a year.

31. Kayla says:

I think most people are totally ignoring the fact that the same guy that created BMW is doing GMW. If we as viewers feel like we have so much invested in this, how much more do Michael Jacobs, Ben and Danielle have invested? They spent years of their lives and countless hours making BMW happen. They care more than we do. It’s their legacy. I don’t think they are going into it wanting to fail or make everyone mad. Show creators make stupid decisions all the time, but it seems that they’re all going into this project with a clear vision of what they want it to be. It’s not like some random people are spoofing the idea of BMW and trying to make a loosely related sequel.

32. Sarah says:

You can’t have Cory without Shawn. I don’t care if it’s its own show, the story will never work without him.

33. KF says:

Shawn needs to be on… He could calm Cory down when his daughter is going out, meeting boys, etc… Won’t be the same with out him :(

34. stephanie says:

I Probly will watch for couple of days of it.. but like some said ..id be bored bout it.. Just bring back other caracters.. and Mr.FEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    could teach there lil gurl like he did to cory & topanga..
    would be funny also to see the grand parents and uncles
    even with shawn..

35. Chris Gomez says:

I think Disney & Michael Jacobs should do whatever it can to at least give him a couple of episode appearances

36. Ashley says:

Beggars can’t be choosers – if there are only a few guest appearances by Eric, Feeny, Shawn, I’ll still be psyched :)))

37. BigFAN says:

When I heard about this I was so happy, I almost cried. OK, maybe I did. I own the seasons and can recite almost all the lines. This show is the summary of my childhood. But honestly if Rider doesn’t commit to it. or if they do not get the classic Eric “Feeny…Feeny… Fennnnnnnnny..” call it would be the biggest bummer. I know, I know its a new generation, and the actors have moved on. But that would be the icing on the cake. And if they had an idea of starting off the show with the new Matthews family moving into a new house. and just so happens to accadently move in to their surprise neighbor Mr.fenny? That is the perfect idea. I will miss Rider deeply. But we NEED an Uncle Eric. I mean come on???

38. Jovona says:

I think that shawn should be on the girl meets world because on the very last episode it showed that shawn and eric both moved to new york with cory and topanga. I think that he should come back and be like the next door neibhor and show that he still is corys life long friend and if cory has any problems or needs advise about something let it show that shawn is still there for him. Also shawn needs to be in the show and married and have a child too that interacts with cory and topangas daughter and maybe they be life long friends like cory and shawn or you can put a twist in and let shawn have a boy and cory and topangas daughter get together with shawns son and be come a couple like cory and topanga in the boy meets world series and go through the trials and staying together and being seperated and breaking up and getting back to together like cory and topanga did and throw in there problems were it reflects cory and shawns relationship of the two of their children being together. Really excited about the new show girl meets world. The thing is without most of the ones like Mr. Fenny or Shawn or Eric I fear that the show will not be what people want and I think with some of my ideas that it could be a really good hit. Eric needs to come back and be the Goofy Uncle Eirc and Mr. Feeny needs to be cory and topangas daughters teacher or principle and her first problem at school cory and topanga go down to the school and be shocked when they realize that Mr. Feeny is back. Im Just Saying……… Just some Ideas not saying they are good but thats what I would like to see I think it would be really awesome to see some of my ideas put into action………

• i like your ideas jovona i would like to see mr fenny back on the show as a teacher or the principle of the school and cory and topanga move to a new house and find out that fenny is there neighbor that give riley advice like he did for her farther and shawn. and i would like see eric, amy and alen on the show as guest stars. and have shawn on the show a few times to see what happen to him over the years. as the rest of the old cast i dont think they should be on the show beacuse they wasn around long for me to care much

39. FCM says:

Uncle Eric should be a doctor or something…..I really felt he should have shown up on Grey’s as a doctor before Dr Thomas died.

Shawn would travel and skype Cory. With drop in visits.

Mr Feeny retired as principal. He was college prof & married Dean. They probably live in Florida now.

Allan & Amy would be around…Josh should be 15. Morgan is a corporate exec…or atty.

The bug thing to remember is Cory & Topanga moved to NY. Unless they moved baxk to Philly, Allen, Amy, Josh, & Feeney would not be close.

40. nicoleluizza@yahoo.com says:

boy meets world is the best they should just continue the series as adults NOTHING can replace boy meets world in the hearts of 90’s kids all over

41. well says:

of course this would never top BMW, but common, dont we rather have our kids be exposed to this type of show where there are actual messages for them? rather then nonsense violent video games or violent shows like The Walking Dead that have no point to them other than protecting yourself against zombies… i agree that it will never replace but to say why even try is too far…GMW will be the same in the sense that its going to teach kids lessons that they can learn from…it wont be just meaningless tv like half the shows…see the glass half full people, not empty

42. Jason says:

I still watch boy meets wile reruns. Shawn should appear in some episodes

43. Kathy S says:

I’m a big fan of BMW and I’m gonna give the new show a chance. Hopefully, they will bring the cast thats not on the show as suprise guess. That would be sweet.. : )

44. Alice Lauren says:

Hate to break it to you but this will be about Riley and her friends…and it’ll be good to see regulars from BMW and guest stars but this will be like Hannah Montana, Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc.

45. Tory says:

No Shawn???????????? Cory wont be the same…….

46. Lola says:

GMW is not that bad, actually not bad at all. Disney can rarely invent an ionic show but this one is sure to go in the hall of fame; along with “That’s so Raven”, “Suite Life”, ” Good Luck charlie”. There are very few others. Don’t let this opportunity pass you, the show is funny. For once Disney hasn’t butchered something its tried to copy.

47. Jk copperhrads says:

I think mr. Rider Strong should come and see them and become a part of the cast, like get a job offer to be an ela teacher because he was good a poetry. Angela should be “Shawn”s wife. Eric should pop in and out sometimes. During the 3rd season Riley and her friend should go and see Cory’s mom and dad!