Audra McDonald Back for Private Practice Finale

Audra McDonald‘s Naomi is making one last house call.

The actress, who left ABC’s Private Practice last season, will return for the series’ final episode in January, TVGuide.com reports.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Gossip GirlPrivate PracticeLast ResortBroke Girls and More

Last year, when TVLine broke the news of McDonald’s departure, she said, “Though I am stepping away from the series as a regular in order to spend more time in New York with my family, I am not closing the door on Private Practice or the character, Naomi.”

Exactly what re-opens that door remains unclear; at the end of Season 4, Naomi moved to New York, leaving behind the medical practice she founded with ex-husband Sam.

1. Mare says:

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD my instant reaction! Really missed her. she and her chaotic nature(chocolate addiction) were amazing to watch!

2. Jamie says:

She is obviously coming back for the Addison and Jake series finale wedding.

• Jake says:

and i bet Addison will reveal she is pregnant with Jake’s child too!

• Spencer says:

Okay, that would just be stupid. Shonda Rhimes puts together some pretty special storylines, but magically fixing Addison’s lady parts for the finale would be super eyeroll worthy given the amount of time they’ve spent on her inability to get pregnant.

3. George says:

I knew she would.

Last week she tweeted that she was “only” hanging out with friends on set, but not filming anything. C’mon ;)

4. jenn t says:

Knew it! Ofcourse the queen is coming back! No way this series would end without her! Having a 5 time Tony winner on deck is awesome, Shonda wouldnt have it any other way :)

5. Bobbi says:

Addison’s wedding, perhaps?

6. MadamePom says:

I reckon it will be a Sam/Addison wedding or at least finish up with them together. I’m Team Jake but Miss Rhimes seems to love Sam so I think that is how it will play out. And Audra just tweeted she was just visiting last time but now she’s about to film

• Kara says:

No way. Addisam is done. Why would Naomi come for their wedding? It is Addie and Jake. They are endgame.

• rebecca says:

never liked Addison & Sam.. i think he belongs with Naomi.

• Deion says:

Why do you hate us? In anything, Shonda should bring the show to a close by reversing the way it began. A Naomi and Sam reunion, like they tried to start in season 2 before the writer’s strike killed the story, giving us Addison and Sam.. Well..you know, if she can forgive the whole sleeping with her best friend thing.

7. T. says:

Why not finish the series on a song that her character sings ?

8. M_miniMe says:

Left the show when the addisam/saddi began.. I don’t know the new guy… I loved Addison (loved her way more than Mer on GA!!) but the show lost all the appeal since the season 3 finale! I’ll forever be a Pete+Addison! or any other guy Addison dated!! BUT NOT SAM!!

9. elr says:

It’s nice that she is coming back for the series finale (I personally think all characters that can, should come back for the end of a series), but I have to admit Naomi was my least favorite character on the show. She always seemed so holier-than-thou and hypocritical to me.

10. Danielle Hamilton says:

Good. This is what should have happened. Can’t wait to see her again!

11. Mikaela says:

Probably coming back for Jake and Addison’s wedding! So glad to see her coming back. Maybe she’ll bring Fife along with her.

12. Shuayb says:

YAY! SO happy about this!!! I really cannot wait for the end now! I just hope that Shonda’s ending is brilliant and is on par with how it began, I wish that she played a bigger part in this season! Maybe she should have been there for Sams episode. Might have made it more bearable.

13. Leo says:

Audra is a goddess!

14. Anna says:

I lovelovelove Audra McDonald with all my heart, but I hated the character Naomi. She defined judgmental and barely had time to do anything besides preach from her high horse. She became slightly more tolerable when she began dating Fife, though. Hopefully she’ll bring him with her.