TVLine Items: HIMYM Plans Super-Sized Holiday Ep, Dirty Jobs Goes Out of Business and More!

How I Met Your Mother has a super-sized Christmas gift for fans.

Co-creator Craig Thomas has announced via Twitter that CBS will air an hour-long holiday installment on Dec. 17 — the series’ first ever XL ep.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Stages a Buffy Reunion With Guest Star Seth Green

“Some really big crap happens!” he teased. Like mayhaps a Barney and Robin surprise engagement? One can dream!

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Discovery has scrapped two of its long-running series, Dirty Jobs and American Chopper. The latter will air its final installment Dec. 11. (Mike Rowe first announced the Dirty cancellation in a HuffPo blog post on Wednesday.)

• Mia Kirshner (The Vampire Diaries) will guest-star in an episode of USA Network’s upcoming series Graceland, TVGuide.com reports. From White Collar creator Jeff Eastin, the series centers on various undercover law enforcement agents living together in Southern California. She’ll play a medical marijuana farmer.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries‘ 1940s Trip Means Salvatores in Uniform, [Spoiler]’s Return!

• Camille Guaty (Las Vegas) and Charlie Bewley (Twilight) have booked multi-ep arcs on The Vampire Diaries. Per TVGuide.com, Guaty will play a woman from Professor Shane’s past, while Bewley joins as a mystery man named Vaughn.

• Judd Apatow (Girls) revealed via Conan O’Brien’s web series Serious Jibber-Jabber that The Simpsons is putting into production a spec script he wrote some 22 years ago. The installment involves Homer being hypnotized into thinking he’s a 10-year-old.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Casting News, News, Scheduling News, TVLine Items

1. cage says:

Bet we see the mother’s right elbow.

2. MelindaB says:

I won’t miss American Chopper–we gave up on it long ago–but will miss Dirty Jobs, and especially Mike Rowe.

3. JO says:

HIMYM better be a worthwhile hour long episode !! No more oft this Ted and Robin thing, I can’t stand that anymore. Just when you think Ted’s over the whole Robin thing it’s brought back up again, soooo annoying! I mean it was noted in season 1 episode 2 that Robin was in fact “aunt Robin” so why make his affection for her be known during the entire series, so frustrating. “hey kids, i used to be madly in love with your ant robin for ten years” uhhhh awkward !!!! They better be officially done with that story line and move on with her and Barney. Ok rant over..

• The fact that they keep bringing up the Ted/Robin thing almost makes me want to never watch the show again. But after investing so much time in the series I feel like I have to stick around until the bitter end.

• Stella says:

This comment is just perfection!!!!

• Alan says:

this is exactly why ive started to get bored this season. we hadnt heard about ted/robin for years then they bring it up in season 7 and it still plays a big part in the show despite the fact that we know that it goes nowhere. even the funny stuff has all but disappeared from the show this season. i swear if i wasnt so invested in who the mother is i would have given up back in that season 7 episode i talked about

4. MellyMel says:

Agree with JO!

5. Daniela says:

HIMYM is still awesome. I hope they all agree that they need a real final season after this one. Besides my Monday nights without HIMYM wouldn’t be the same.

6. I still watch Dirty Jobs all the time, I think it’s on Discovery America (or whatever it’s called). I hope he gets a new show somewhere, I need some Mike Rowe on my TV.

7. shay says:

agree even I prefer Ted and Robin than Barney and Robin because I love the old Barney he was extra funny and badass Robin. Last season she was always whining, sad, angry…
    And I’m over the fact the show became BR show! I want the mother now and funny Marshall/Lily please come back!

8. Amanda says:

I just hate that about Dirty Jobs. I have noticed the hiatus getting longer and seemingly less new episodes when the show did air. Still it is hard to imagine no more Mike Rowe and crew.

9. D'Arcy says:

The Magician’s Code Part 1 and Part 2 were actually HIMYM’s first XL episode, but this is the first XL Christmas episode. Oddly the titles are The Silence of the Jinx, and The Robin. Makes it seem more like two episodes airing together than one single episode.

10. Midori004 says:

HOW CAN THEY CANCEL DIRTY JOBS?!?!?!

Did they run out of jobs or something?!?!

11. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Such a shame about both shows getting canned. While American Chopper isn’t the best, it’s still solid compared to other like-minded shows. Dirty Jobs on the other hand is fantastic, I just love Mike Rowe and will miss the show a lot.

12. TaraMisu says:

Awwww I will miss Dirty Jobs :( We love Mike Rowe, hopefully someone will get him another show.

13. Mike Rowe already did the dirtiest job there is, try to get Americans to vote for Mitt Romney, I guess hes peaked. lol

14. JB Smooove says:

This show is like a thanksgiving turkey: stick a fork in it, it’s done.

15. Ethan says:

“Some really big crap happens”

Truer words have never been spoken. Just tune in the last 2 minutes because the rest are filler anyway.

16. ! says:

Can’t wait for that Xmas ep. <3 :)