Walking Dead Recap: Hanging on the Telephone

In this week’s episode of The Walking Dead, a new couple hits the sack, one of the dearly departed stages a comeback, and yes, we find out the identity of Rick’s mystery caller. Shall we, ahem, pick up where we left off?

CALLING LONG-DISTANCE | Over the course of the hour, Rick receives one frustrating call after another from different members of, to borrow a term from Lost, the Others. Who are they? Where are they? Can Rick and Co. join them? Only after we learn that they know Rick (and vice-versa) is it revealed that the Others are the deceased. Finally, Lori gets on the line and makes a request of her widower. “Can you do that?” she asks. But, thanks to spectral static, we don’t get to hear what “that” is!

GAME ’ONNE | Although Michonne leaves behind what Merle calls a “bitergram” (a warning — “Go back!” — spelled out in zombie parts!), he and three henchman set out to kill her. Instead, she kills two of them, and when the third refuses to lie to the Governor that they succeeded in their murderous mission, Merle puts a bullet in his head, too. Later, Michonne — limping from a gunshot to the leg — spies Glenn and Maggie on a supply run… being taken hostage by her would-be assassin!

AFTERNOON DELIGHT | In Woodbury, Andrea tries her hand at guarding the wall but gets in trouble immediately for jumping over said wall to stab a walker in the eye. Later, she confesses to the Governor that she liked his staged fights, but “I didn’t like that I liked them.” In response, he asks if she wants to have sex yet. Okay, he doesn’t actually say that, but pretty much everything they say is foreplay, right? And, after some more innuendo — “How long has it been (long pause) since you had whisky this good?” — they finally do hit the sheets.

WELCOME BACK | While he, Oscar and Carl are clearing out another (the same? Who can tell anymore?) cellblock, Daryl regales Carl with the tale of his mother’s death (the wino burned to a crisp smoking in bed). It didn’t seem real, he says. “I shot my mom,” Carl replies. “It was real [for me].” Later, Daryl finds Carol’s knife sticking out of a walker, then — hurrah! — he finds Carol herself and tenderly carries her out of her dank hiding place.

TURNING POINTS | While in Woodbury Merle is lying to the Governor that Michonne is really, most sincerely dead and trying to distract him (“Look! I brought prisoners!”), Michonne herself is showing up among the walkers at the prison gate. She’s even brought a gift — the baby supplies that Glenn and Maggie had to leave behind. But how is she able to go unnoticed by the zombies? Is it because she’s covered in undead guts? Seems likely to be Rick’s first question next week…

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you surprised that it was Rick’s dead friends calling? Were you relieved that Carol was alive? How dumb is Andrea going to feel when she realizes her new lover is even crazier than her last one (Shane)? Hit the comments with your, um, comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. John says:

MICHONNE!!!!

2. Rick probably won’t question that too much. Remember he and Glenn pulled the same trick in “Guts” back in season one. Moving about the walkers covered in zombie bits. Another great ep

3. Raven64 says:

Awesome ep!! Cant wait for next week! Seeing Michonne amongst the walkers was a def Oh sh#t moment!!!

4. Faizaan says:

So was rick hallucinating on the phone? I got a bit confused there

• Emily says:

Yes it was his way of coping (at least that is how it was in the comics)

• Alan says:

yeah he was talking to the dead people of the group, or at least the ones they could convince to come back and record their voice parts. in order of appearance it was: amy, andrea’s sister who died during the attack on the camp in season 1; jim, who they left on the side of the road at his request after he got bitten during the same attack; and lori, obviously

• Alan says:

oh and jaqui, who got blown up in the cdc. i forgot about her

• Carrie says:

Oh, I didn’t realize who the voices belonged to. That makes it a lot cooler, then. I actually thought it was a little lame that he was just hallucinating and I was hoping it would turn out that he had actually spoken to someone on the phone. I don’t know how many viewers actually got that.

5. David S says:

it’s spelled whiskey.

6. robb says:

Is this the beginning of the end for Glenn?!?Is this the comic book tie-in from issue 100?!?Gosh I hope not.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

AHHH! No spoilers!!! I’m getting a little sick of people who read the comics loving to prove that they read the comics in the comments sections of these articles. Let’s just discuss the current episodes and nothing more, and if people have knowledge of future events, just keep it to yourselves, please.

• Teag says:

Come on, you serious, Glenn being taken captive by Woodbury is in the comics too.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Ummm no, Glenn is not killed by the Woodbury people in the comics. They are NO WHERE NEAR, the issue 100 story lol. You are just trying to spoil for the sake of spoiling.

7. Lynyrd says:

Well, I’m beginning to think Andrea should start penning a book called “My Bad Life Choices.” Poor girl can’t catch a break.

• Lena120 says:

Andrea is the worst. I’m starting to think Laurie Holden did something to piss off the writers because they keep serving her crap each week. In the comics, she’s a much stronger character and a lot more likeable. Here, she just seems like a chick with daddy issues who’s attracted to men in leadership positions. And she’s totally regressed from season 2, which is the one fault I have for this season so far.

• Radha says:

Yeah, wasn’t she supposed to be a lawyer before things went south in the world? Shouldn’t she be able to make better choices and, I don’t know, figure out when people are lying manipulative lunatics?

8. Laquisha Yo says:

Michonne and Glenn/Maggie have switched places! I just want the group to get back together and find out Andrea is alive. But will Andrea want to get back with them after they left her behind? Maybe not. It’s getting good with the two groups colliding. Can’t wait to see where it goes.

9. Britta Unfiltered says:

Dear Walking Dead producers: Please never show me that much of The Governor again. My stomach can’t take it.

• Rain says:

Agreed, it made me feel sicker than watching the walker guts spill all over Michonne!

• tripoli says:

Ditto. Those 2 are just the worst. No need to amplify my annoyance by showing them getting down and dirty. Good old Andrea and her poor choices. The one constant you can always count on.

10. Nicole says:

Why do I feel like bad bad things will happen to Maggie next episode? If she does not give up the groups location I don’t think things will go well for her.

11. The Kaibosh says:

I don’t know about Rick just simply extending a welcome hand to Michonne. He’s tripping and may not trust that what he’s seeing is real.

12. t says:

Soooo sick of Andrea. She thinks she’s a bada** even in season 1 trying to stand guard instead of “women’s work”, shooting walkers (but hitting Daryl), every choice she makes is the wrong one, if she had her way she would have been dead at the cdc or Maggie’s sis would’ve been dead at the farm. If she is such a strong woman how come she jumps on any man with a little power? Even after a winter w Michonne she can’t figure out what a real badass looks like!

• Jaime says:

Thank you!! I feel like shaking Andrea! After all Michonne has done for her (hello, saving her from the herd, and then refusing to leave her to die in a meat locker when she was sick), she just ditches her for a creepy, pasty dude who organizes creepy walker/human fight clubs like they’re pep rallies! Not saying that I’m sold on the idea of a Michonne/Andrea pairing, but please, if anyone’s earned some loyalty from Andrea, its Michonne…

• guest says:

well, strong is not the same as smart.

13. Jaime says:

Who else wants to see Michonne and Daryl team up for a Walker slaughter fest?? Her sword, his crossbow…

14. James says:

another gem from Kirkman and company. it was obvious Rick was halucinating but still well done. things are picking up looks like war is coming between Rick and the Governer. the promo for next week looks enticing but if they kill off Glen or Maggie I’m done watching the show they are my favorite characters and to have them dead and Andrea alive is unthinkable.

15. DeadWalker says:

Andrea is this season’s Lori…everyone is hating on her. And deservedly so…she’s so fricking dumb and falls for these psycho alpha dudes Like shane and the governor. I’m surprised that she hasn’t fallen for Merle.

• GeekGirl13 says:

I don’t see Merle as an alpha male at all so, I’m surprised that Andrea hasn’t fallen for him. He’s a wannabe at best. Definitely psycho, but not an alpha.

16. Ram510 says:

Yeah the episode was alright, but the best part was that TBS advertised Cougar Town!!!!!!! ABC would’ve never done that. Thats a lot of eyeballs that saw it, especially in the lucrative 18-49 demo, good job TBS!!! GO COUGAR TOWN!!!!!

17. Frankieboy says:

Carol!!! love her! glad she’s ‘okay’.

On the other hand, I can’t believe that they let Laurie Holden, who is an amazing actress, play a character that makes the worst choices ever… I would love to see her be as bad ass as Michonne.

• YEY CAROL! VERY HAPPY SHE’S ALIVE! AND DARYL IS HAPPY AGAIN!

I really hope that Maggie and Glenn would be okay. Oh god. But the actors said that before the mid season finale, 1-2 major characters would die. I just hope it would be Merle or that blonde young daughter of Hershel.

18. Den says:

if they kill off either glenn or maggie I SWEAR TO GOD.

19. gary says:

If they kill Glenn or Maggie im done with TWD. Would be incredible lame if they kill off 2 of the best characters just to keep Merle and Governor storyline going

• tripoli says:

Love the empty threats that come around every time there’s a hint of worry for someone’s safety. I get having favorite characters but this show is an amazing ensemble and it’s more than a bit ridiculous to proclaim you’re done watching if your favorite dies.

20. gary says:

Also didnt Rick find out in season 1 if you wear Zombie Guts you wont be noticed by the Walkers? I swear him and Glenn covered themselfs in it before

21. JASON MANN says:

The Grimes Gang learned the dead zombie trick back in season 1 when they were trapped in the department store and then it started raining. My question is does Merle want to find Daryl to make sure his only living family is ok or does Merle want to kill Daryl for not killing Rick for hand cuffing him to the roof. I feel Merle is smarter than he looks and has a hidden agenda even the Governor is not aware of.
    I never really liked Andrea so I may be biased but she makes the worst decisions. First she wants to die in Atlanta when the CDC blew up then she was Team Shane when everyone could see he loss touch with reality the same time he lost his hair. Now she didn’t trust Michonne who may be built to survive this new world better than anyone else, and she falls in bed with a man even crazier than Shane. Anyone who has Merle Dixon as thier right hand has a few screws loose.
    the only comment on the Rick answers the phone storyline I have is I fast forwarded through when I found out it was Lori people who died on his watch as leader.
    Rick and MIchonne against Merle and the Governor now that is appointment TV

• I definitely think Merle is more intelligent than the show has shown him to be… He proved it this week just when it came to pronouncing Neal’s last name. He kept acting like he couldn’t pronounce it, to belittle Neal and once he decided he was going to kill Neal, he pronounced Neal’s last name like he’d known it all his life. Then when he talks to the governor, he behaves like he has no clue as to even begin pronouncing the last name. It is subtle, but I think he just shows how sneaky Merle is and just how far he is willing to take it, not just with big things, but with the tiniest of details.

• Alan says:

you stopped watching rick’s scenes when it was revealed he was nuts, why? that’s probably his single most important storyline from the comics, it was well acted and is going to be taking up a lot of time going forward if they decide to follow that aspect of comics closely. honestly if you ignore that then you wont understand rick’s motivation to do anything from here on

22. vdofan says:

I was thinking about Daryl sitting outside the cell that Carol was in, is that after finding her knife, he put it together that it was probably her inside that cell, but that she’s probably turned into a walker. His sitting there outside the cell and slamming the knife felt like he was building himself up to open the door and put her down.

It looked like he was going to walk away and just leave her in there, but at the last second chose to do the right thing and open the door only to find that she was still alive.

23. Babybop says:

SO happy they found Carol. I knew she wasn’t dead!
    But one question… How did Michonne know where Rick and co. were? Did she follow tire tracks or something? Ha ha.

• Ren598 says:

Michonne heard Glenn and Maggie talk about the baby back at the prison (when Maggie told Glenn to get the duck).

• AT says:

She overheard Glenn and Maggie mention that the prison was a straight shot down the road.

• Teag says:

Ugh, do people not pay attention?

• Steven says:

Nope. I said this exact same thing last week when people were posting about Rick finding Lori’s wedding ring (it was the bullet) or saying Lori had to be alive because there was no body… when they made it pretty clear the overstuffed zombie with her hair sticking to his face had eaten all of her. They need a ‘pop up video’ version of the show so they can explain things to some folks.

24. Ben says:

Carol’s alive! Woohoo! *does little happy dance*

25. Beth says:

Best part of the episode was Daryl finding Carol!

26. nate p says:

any word if we are going to get another season of the walkind dead?

27. Kyle says:

The one dynamic I keep coming back to is what is the reaction of Daryl going to be when he comes face to face with his brother? Daryl appears to have changed in directions that are light years removed from the path his brother has taken.

28. Ryan says:

“How long has it been…since you had whiskey this good?”

Oh, I don’t know, about two episodes? You know, since the last the two of us drank whiskey together?

Sorry, nitpicking, but watching the last 3 episodes back-to-back-to-back made this a pretty obvious error in scripting/editing.