Homeland Recap: 'You Know How Crazy Everyone Says You Are...?'

Homeland Season 2, Episode 8 RecapThis week on Showtime’s Homeland, Saul, Quinn & Co. got quite an earful, while both Brody and Dana got taken for rides.

CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR….? | The hour opens with Dana hopping off a bus in a strange neighborhood, but before we can start theorizing that the lamenting lass is out to score some Blue Sky, we realize she has simply gone to see Mike (whose cozy bachelor pad makes me realize I really need to spruce up the Mattcave here). Dana confides in her mother’s ex-lover about the hit-and-run and her futile endeavor to “make it right.” Later, when getting the OK to hang at Mike’s, Dana asks Mom if she knows why Dad bailed on the plan to go to the cops. The teen quickly shares, “It was that woman Carrie, from the CIA. She showed up and suddenly it was all off.” But wait, Jessica a few episodes made Brody promise to steer clear of blondie! This should get good… but not just yet. Instead, Dana proceeds to ask Mike how it felt to exit their life stage left when her Dad came back from POW-dom (answer: difficult), then she asks for a ride to Columbia Heights, where she offers many mea culpas to the hit-n-run vic’s daughter. But Dana’s peer has only two words for her — shut and up — because apparently she has been paid off by whomever to drop the whole sordid mess. This lack of closure does not leave Dana in a good place.

COME ON, ROGUE | With Dana MIA after the cop shop mess, Brody and Jess fret some, while Carrie worries that this domestic sitch will make the congressman late for his meet with Roya. Jessica reminds Nick that they promised to handle the hit-and-run truth now, but he says the interests of national security prevail. When Jess instructs him to tell the CIA to back off, Brody snaps: “I can’t, I can’t, I can’t!” After Jess drives off to fetch Dana at Mike’s, Carrie enters the house to move Brody along, only to find him curled up in the hall. “No more,” he begs, but she urges him to remember why he’s doing this. “My family?” he answers. “You were listening…. Everything is falling apart.”

When Brody arrives a bit late for his meet, Roya asks, “What’s going on with you?” He responds with a rant about all the pressures he’s under — including but not limited to helping plot an attack on his own country — then retorts, “Everything is good with you, I hope?” Fearing that Brody has been made and Quinn will cancel their whole op, Carrie has Brody’s audio cut off, then she intercepts him to drive them off to a motel. À la the now-infamous Saturday Night Live skit, this latest rogue behavior irks Estes, but Saul argues that Carrie is angling to repair the situation and preserve their asset. Though Estes worries about having to one day stand “in front of the senate explaining who Carrie was f–king” when the terrorists struck, he allows Saul more rope, again.

DIARY OF A STAGE 5 DELUSIONAL | At the motel, Brody takes stock. “I’ve burned every bridge — with Abu Nazir, with the CIA, with my family…. I’m more alone now than I ever was at the bottom of that hole in Iraq.” Suggesting that Roya will no longer need him, he asks Carrie, “Will you visit me in prison?” She quips she’ll probably be in the cell next to him, “which is not the future I imagined for us.” Curious, Brody asks what she did foresee. “Maybe that if we stopped Nazir, you’d be a real hero, and that fact would somehow make everything you did before not matter.”

Brody’s response gets its own paragraph: “You know how crazy everyone says you are? You’re even crazier than that!”

When Carrie maintains that Brody is not all alone, they fall into a kiss, and then full-on, loud, rigorous sex — all while Quinn, Saul et al listen in from the command post with all kinds of expressions of awkward washing over their faces. “You have got to give Carrie a chance,” Saul tells Quinn, who can’t help but ask: “Is that [the sound of] somebody turning something around, or is that a Stage 5 delusional getting laid?”

ROYA FLUSH | The morning after the romp, Brody rings Roya to apologize for his prior outburst and share his wish for “things to be the way they were,” while Carrie realizes that Quinn’s smirking perverts got an aural peep show the night before. Roya later intercepts Brody in a parking garage, and has him drive them to the countryside, where between the flat terrain and dusk settling in, Carrie and Virgil’s follow car can only get so close, all while seeing nada. Anxious that Brody is about to get offed, Carrie convinces Quinn to let her do one clean pass — during which they see that the Mystery Man who led the Gettysburg assault has joined the roadside rendezvous. Carrie impetuously disembarks from the van and starts to follow the trio on foot, while Saul mulls why this meet took place near the only clearing for miles. Here’s why: Just then, a helicopter descends, and Brody gets shoved on board, while Carrie can do… nothing. Later that night, Brody is back on the ground and being led inside a structure, where he is approached by an all-too-familiar (if shaven) face.

Nicholas….”

1. Sarah Wilson says:

Who is Nicholas; I don’t remember?

2. joe says:

That’s Brody’s first name.

3. Jenny says:

This show… One hr is not enough! I can’t help but wonder what Brody’s fate will be. Can only go so many ways. Also rooting for this Carrie Brody relationship is all kinds of weird!!! But they’re amazing together!

• lara says:

Same – I have a feeling that they know that he is a double agent, and will try to turn him again. The only other options are that they a) don’t know that he is betraying them (which will make them seem kind of stupid and inefficient) OR b) will kill him.

4. Alichat says:

I am still kinda reeling from this episode because it was just all over the place….but it had to be all over the place I think. But still…..gah!

I’m a little pissed at Dana for throwing her dad under a bus completely. Granted, having him re-neg on taking her to the police with Carrie intercepting shouldn’t sit well with Dana, but she was never really quick to just write him off as it appears she has. And I’m really tired of Jessica demanding things from Brody and not asking why. I don’t know…I need to process Jessica’s reactions. But she finds out he converted to Islam, and goes apesh*t. She wants Brody to be completely honest with her, but didn’t bother to tell him Mike came by, rummaged through the garage, and accused him of killing Tom Walker. When Brody brings it up, she asks for the truth about Walker, and Brody gives her a partial truth….but pretty much says he killed him or had something to do with it, and she freaks again. It was Dana’s calm, questioning yet patient nature that Brody latched onto. And I just wonder why we haven’t seen alot of that from Jessica. He’s having a full meltdown in front of her, and it’s like she doesn’t see it. I…I don’t know…..like I said, I’m still processing her reactions. I did like the moment at the end with Dana. It’s about time those two started talking to each other like their related.

And I don’t understand Nazir taking Brody. Yes…Brody wigged, left, and then suddenly wanted back in the fold….so, a pow-wow to reassess that he’s still in the game makes sense. But how do they expect Brody to explain this sudden disappearance to everyone? His family….his job….the VP??? His car is just hanging out on the side of the road somewhere in Virginia. Sure no one will notice he’s gone. I mean, Brody can use the CIA as an excuse with Jessica….maybe….but how does Nazir think Brody will explain this to his family. And for the love of god….can we find this mole please? I’m tired of Roya knowing everything that’s happening to everyone. Makes me think she’s got his house bugged, but then she’d know he told Jess he’s working with the CIA.

And let’s not talk about how much I didn’t want that sex scene to happen between Brody and Carrie…..much less hear it. Although, I found myself yelling at Saul along with Quinn. His trust in her borders on lunacy.

5. Britta Unfiltered says:

And the Emmy for most awkward sex scene goes to…Homeland! “She’s turning it around!” Good grief, That scene was sexy, hilarious, and horrifying all at the same time. My emotions did not know which way to go. I cannot express how happy I was to see them having sex against a dresser, and then was so horrified in the next second to see poor Saul and a roomful of people having to listen to them. And Quinn looked pretty jealous. Way to ruin my much-anticipated sex scene, Homeland. Poor Brody just cannot get a private moment ANYWHERE! I have a feeling every time he poops the CIA knows exactly how many flushes it took to get down. I freaking knew Dana would rat out Brody to Jess about Carrie. But anything that’s done to torpedo their marriage is a good thing in my eyes. Mike’s place was pretty nice and it made me wonder if there are bachelors out there who don’t decorate their homes with comic book posters and action figure dolls. (Wait, is that just the guys I date?) The best moment of the night…Brody’s thank-you shoulder kiss to Carrie. I squee’d with delight.

6. Kevin H. says:

How did this cast get through the Carrie/Brody boinking scene without breaking character? I want to see the bloopers for that scene. Saul’s face was priceless!

7. DanieGermany says:

That sex scene was so aswesome and at the same time so embarrasssing to watch. Poor Saul, you could literally feel his pain and I kinda think that Quinn was pretty jealous of Brody, if you ask me :-) But that shoulder-kiss the day after was so pure and intimate, just made up for all the uncomfortableness I was feeling during the surveillance sex-scene. Regarding Dana, I really hope that the major screen-time she is getting currently will soon be reduced to a minimum. I actually can’t stand the sloooooow way she’s talking, moving, looking etc. Totally makes me wanna push a button, so she could move FASTER ! Totally annoying! But my fave characters anyway are Carrie, Brody and Saul, who continue to blow me away week after week, Kudos to them !
    One final note: With all of that Homeland security and major immigartion controlling going on in the US nowadays, how the hell did Abu Nazir manage to get into the country undetected in the first place ?!

8. Koft2009 says:

And how did that helicopter move in without the FAA finding out? Not that I have any respect for them, especially after 9/11. The FAA is on high alert wtf does that mean? I can’t stand Roya, and she overestimated her control over Brody. If you ever watched Torchwood and saw the S1 finale, you would understand what is going on here. Jack Harkness never gave his team details about what was happening during a breakdown of time. In fact he expected blind obedience, and the team finally has enough and revolted, and actually killed him. But Jack can’t die, but they did not know that yet. But it proves that you cannot just expect Brody to never question everything, without information. He is always in a fragile mental state, and not knowing anything ever, has done him in, because he is always lying and he can’t deal with the stress.

• flo says:

I think the conspiracy has to go deeper and much higher on the government scale. Someone authorized a copter to fly over airspace. DUN DUN DUN!

9. Alienate says:

Let me just say: Thanks! Matt, for these excellent recaps. I love the show and I love being able to share thoughts with all of these readers/watchers. Kudos!

10. Meg says:

At what point are they just going to write the Brody son completely off the show?

• It is a question I’ve been having for a long time. He’s veering more and more into complete irrelevance: ignored by his dad, ignored by his mom, ignored by his sister and, worst of all, ignored by the cameras.

11. Johan Aliseo says:

What was the last statement Nazir makes as the show closes. I have played it back several times and can’t figure out what he said.

12. Liz1 says:

One thing that has stuck me as off is that a few episodes back, when Carrie was interrogating Brody, she was telling Brody how it was the connection to his family that kept him from setting off the vest-bomb and how Dana talked him down. However, if my memory serves me right, he did, in fact try to “pull the trigger” but it misfired and did not denotate. Am I wrong?
    Jessica is getting on my nerves. You don’t just tell the CIA to “backdown”..is she mental? I suppose considering the whole scenario, she could be going there or feels like she is.
    There is definitely a mole. I hope it’s not Saul.
    Can’t believe Nazir showed up at the end. Never expected that one.

13. I love the acting in this show, it’s what makes this compelling. But I’ve had gripes about Season 2 and they’re just getting louder and louder in my head… so many issues with the story and the suddenness of events (it’s as if time works differently in Homeland Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland) and the complete irrelevance of plot points. But the show has a way of reeling you in with great, captivating, compelling performances, an overall story with much promise and… that’s about it.

Jessica Brody has got to be the worst wife on television. There’s something very off-putting about her and her reaction to EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. It’s like she doesn’t understand how the world she’s stepped into works and somehow thinks the rules she’s set in her home will magically apply elsewhere.

And I’m with everyone else – how DID Nazir get into the US so easily? It does seem like it was done very easily. I’m hoping they’ll explain it in the next episode but there are so many things that will never get explained: how does a US Congressman disappear so often, especially one as high-profile as Nicholas Brody (HE’S A FRONT-RUNNER FOR THE VICE PRESIDENT’S TICKET, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!); how is Carrie able to magically appear whenever some plot takes a twist; and how is Carrie allowed to basically do whatever she wills, no matter WHO or WHAT is telling her not to and STILL escape any/all sort of punishment/reprimands. Rogue agents, television loves ‘em.

• Liz1 says:

I totally agree with ALL above by Tee. One thing I don’t get is how and why Saul and others got suspicious of Quinn. I’ve watched this episode 2 times and just don’t see it or what action caused the suspision..(I always thought it suspicious from the start when Estes said “I”m put my man in charge” )or close to it.). What happened to make them question his presence and title? Again –what did I miss? Liz1