Doctor Who Christmas Special Minisode and Trailer: Look at Frosty Go...Homicidal?

“This Christmas, the Earth will face a terrible, terrible danger. But as all humanity hangs in the balance, will anyone be able to persuade the Doctor to save the day?” asks series star Matt Smith in the first of two new promos for Doctor Who‘s 2012 Christmas Special.

“Yes,” grins Jenna-Louise Coleman, who’ll be costarring in the special, then somehow taking over as the Doctor’s new companion, despite the fact that things didn’t end so well for her when last we saw her in “Asylum of the Daleks,” the Season 7 premiere.

If you want to poke around in closets and cupboards to get a sneak peek at what executive producer Steven Moffat will be leaving under the tree, press play on the minisode/prequel embedded below, and then follow it up with the trailer for the full-length Christmas special. Not only do we have our titular hero in a funk after bidding farewell to his old pals Rory and Amy, but there are also children in peril, snarling beasts, a screaming maid, a couple of returning fan favorites and some seriously unfriendly snowmen. In other words, it’s going to be awesome.

The Doctor Who Christmas special premieres December 25 on BBC America.

1. tvdiva says:

I love the Doctor Who Christmas specials. First alien Santa assassins and now evil snowmen. Looking forward to the new companion, but I miss Amy and Rory something awful.

2. Molly says:

As much as I am looking forward to the Christmas special, seeing this broke my denial about Amy and Rory. Now I am sad again.

3. Cyn Mackley says:

Madam Vastra and Jenny return! Awesome!

4. JeffDJ says:

Really looking forward to this! Evil snowmen, Madam Vastra & Jenny, Jenna-Louise and lots of running! Hurry, Christmas, hurry fast!

5. Caitlin says:

anyone else notice the doctor is wearing amy’s glasses in one of the shots of him?

6. Alan says:

classic moffet taking childhood fears and turning them into a monster the doctor can fight, so im happy.
    bringing jenny, vastra and strax back from “a good man goes to war” is a good move cause they were really fun characters and deserve more development.
    really enjoying the interplay between jenna and matt, if they can recreate that in the episodes im going to have a whole lot of new dialogue to quote. apparently she is able to talk faster than he is and thats going to be used a lot, that should be fun to watch

7. Steve says:

I appear to have just developed the most enormous crush on Jenna..bugger.

8. Noelle says:

was that Richard E. Grant?

9. JAO says:

Love this show! Can’t wait !

10. KCC says:

Thank you for this Michael!!

11. Kelly says:

Oh how I’ve missed this show! The minisode and trailer shall help sustain me until Christmas.

12. Lana says:

Ok, I am through mourning Amy and Rory and I am ready to embrace the new companion and I see I am going to love her but my husband still mourns Rose so he is a little slower than I. I love the Christmas shows. I can’t wait for this one!! (I have to admit,even though I enjoy Matt I still mourn David T. as my Doctor, but I do find it fading some as I watch Matt more and more.)

13. Scott says:

Glad to see some actual Doctor Who info on the site, unlike when Ausiello fakes Who news and then gives info on something else…

14. Bob says:

The Christmas episode takes place during the Victorian era. Best guess is Clara Oswin is an ancestor of Oswin Osgood from Asylum of the Daleks.

15. Curt says:

Since you all seem to know the Dr. pretty well, how far back would a person have to go to get into it? Nearly 50 years to the beginning? Nearly 40 to the frizzy-haired guy (Tom Baker?)? Seems like fun, but a little daunting.

• Aubrie says:

I’d say you can go back as far as you want or just back to 2005 when it came back, they worked really hard to establish the back story for new viewers. Good luck :)

• Alan says:

there are two really good jumping on points: the 2005 restart with christopher eccleston and billie piper or the beginning of matt smith’s run. starting with matt smith would get you caught up with the rest of us quicker but i would recommend going back to 2005 to get a good background and really understand what’s going on. plus then you can get involved in arguments about who the vest doctor is, which is always fun

16. Addie says:

Is it me or is Jenna looking like a lovechild between David Tennant and Billie Piper?

17. Aubrie says:

I love Doctor Who but I really think the past few seasons haven’t beed so great, I like Matt well enough but Steven Moffat really needs to step up his game hopefully bringing in new charicters and not having so much of River will hel bring back the show I love.

• Alan says:

really, i thought the quality of the overall story got much better from when moffat started. RTD just had vague words appearing in the background and daleks everywhere, while moffat’s stories actually feel like one narrative rather than a group of disconnected stories