ABC Cancels Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue

Get More: Cancellations, News

Last Resort CancelledABC has done what the U.S. Armed Forces could not: It sunk the Colorado.

The network is choosing not to move forward with Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | ABC’s Nashville Gets Full-Season Pick-Up

Despite a recent order for two more scripts apiece — traditionally seen as a vote of confidence — neither series will receive a back-nine pick-up, meaning both series will end after 13 episodes.

An ABC rep tells TVLine the network is planning to air the remaining hours in their entirety.

Both freshman dramas had struggled to maintain an audience. Thursday’s Last Resort, which reportedly was an important factor in whether or not the series would receive a full-season pick-up, saw a slight ratings drop to 5.8 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating.

Similarly, last Sunday’s 666 Park earned only 4 mil/1.3, matching the previous episode’s series low.

Comments (268)

• ABC does it again. A really really good show well acted with good story line and they give it the cut. I really really liked Last Resort and 666 Park was not bad either. People are to wrapped up in the damn stupid reality shows and other crap the broadcasting companies pushed down our throats. Why cannot sports shows be on ESPN and why not start up a reality network, isn’t that sort of what Bravo is?

Comment by Jake – November 17, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ever since the writers strike a few years back, the Networks have realized that reality shows are cheaper and do better in the ratings (as far as Neilson is concerned). I wonder if they also count on demand viewers, because I watch most of my shows on demand, and I can’t be the only one!

Comment by Andre – November 17, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really surprised about either show being cancelled due to the ratings. I enjoyed them both but agree with others that Last Resort was better suited as a mini series. Stellar cast. I think 666′s problem was they under utilized Vanessa Williams. If you blinked you missed her in some episodes. I heard that the hurricane also damaged their sets which I am sure didn’t help.

Comment by Cindy – November 17, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this just proves how worthless DVR numbers are to networks, seeing as how Last Resort posted big gains in that respect. And it sucks that shows like Big Bang Theory continue to disprove the idea that people don’t watch TV live, so other shows have to live up to a standard they’ll never achieve. The Nielsen’s are a messed up system, and I wish them nothing but the worst.

Comment by Jacob – November 17, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are so right!!

Comment by Andre – November 17, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More and more I stop watching the shows on prime time networks (ABC, NBC, CBS). They cancel good shows before they get a chance to grow, Ex: Animal practice on NBC is very funny, and Last Resort (I thought) had my waiting to see what would happen next. I will stick to shows like The Walking Dead (AMC), Sons of Anarchy (FX), and The League (FX). Very disappointed with the executives at ABC, CBS, and NBC!!

Comment by Andre – November 17, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more. Maybe we should just boycott these networks like they did with gas and not watch their crap for a good couple of weeks. Maybe they would get the picture.

Comment by Jake – November 17, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It figures every time we watch a new show and love it they get cancelled.

Comment by Rhonda – November 17, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe if they actually put one of those shows after greys and move scandal after revenge then at least one of those shows will be saved because scandal is wasting the best lead in on abc

Comment by aciel – November 17, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there enough buzz from last resort to interest another network?

Comment by Dan – November 17, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be awesome, but highly doubt that will happen.

Comment by Jake – November 17, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God thanks , what a relief ! I couldn’t stand 666 ,it was just wrong .I only saw the pilot and it was like a repulse for me , it felt like a network AHS and I the whole building ” drake ” stuff kept me remembering creepy scenes from Rosemary’s baby. Last Resort was actually good I’ve watched 5 episodes so far it was in general good ,but still it started to bore me .
    I’m so angry that Nashville got a full season command , the show is so boring ,although I keep watching only for Britton and Panettiere

Comment by billie – November 17, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked Last Resort. It was working out the bugs. Networks never give a series a chance to find its stride. Still have Supernatural , Arrow and Person of Interest.

Comment by Logan – November 17, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted Park Ave to work cause of Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams. But the lead lady, the blonde one, whose name escapes me was a bad casting choice. The show doesn’t work for me at all in general.

Comment by @JennyS714 – November 17, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort is the best new show! I’m so disappointed!!! I loved all The Shield and The Unit actors showing up in it! I wasn’t sure how long they could maintain the show with the number of sailors being killed off every episode, but it was riveting. Too many of the other new shows are okay, but don’t really suck you in and make you care about the characters (Revolution, anyone?) 666 fell into that category too. I watched it when there was time.

Comment by Gwenie – November 17, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revolution slowly started growing on me. The characters that I hated in the beginning are so good now. Its a show that gets better every episode. So, unless you’ve watched all the episodes, you have no right to say the characters aren’t connecting with you because its a saga. It takes 22 episodes for the bigger picture to unfold. Last Resort on the other hand derailed after the first episode. None of the characters are believable, except for Chaplain, barely.

Comment by John – November 17, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank God that at least “The Neighbours” received a full season…

Comment by S. from E. now – November 17, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • last resort =sad

Comment by aciel – November 17, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • while i think last resort has a bit more potential than 666 ever did, i think those are both good decisions. i wonder if the extra eps will give each show any kind of conclusion.

Comment by cjeffery7 – November 17, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so angry and upset right now. Last Resort was the best new show of the season. However, it aired on Thursdays which was a huge deathslot for it. So many of my favourite shows (Grey’s, Glee, Big Bang, Vampire Diaries) come on Thursday nights and all in the same two hours (the 8pm/9pm hours). This was just so unfair. Such a well-made, well-written, well-cast, exciting show bites the dust once again. I haven’t been this irked since the cancellation of Jericho.

Comment by Ally Oop – November 17, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • P.S. I wonder how many of the huge number of viewers that watched Big Bang also watched Last Resort via DVR. It just is not fair that Last Resort had to be sacrificed to Big Bang. I really wonder how it would have done in another timeslot. I have noticed this year that a lot of shows are scheduled so badly. Look at Fridays–how many people who watch Grimm also watch Fringe and Nikita? And on Thursdays, how many people who watch Grey’s also watch Glee? Shows that would appeal to the same viewer seem to be scheduled against each other. Wouldn’t the networks be better off focusing on netting a higher amount of viewers rather than killing their competition?

Comment by Ally Oop – November 17, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s my fervent hope that the Last Resort ends with a scene where the Colorado launches all of its remaining missiles at the ABC bosses who cancelled this series.

Comment by David P. Graf – November 17, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHAHA! Awesome!

Comment by Risa – November 18, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are dead to me now ABC!

Comment by Karl – November 17, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On the bright side, we don’t have to put up with anything from Katherine Heigl throughout the holiday season. I’m just trying to cheer you people up.

Comment by Tansy – November 17, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please go to epetitions.net and sign Save 666 Park Avenue petition!!

Comment by annienyc – November 17, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC hates me. They’ve canceled every single show I watched since… I don’t know, 2006. Pushing Daisies, Brothers and Sisters, According to Jim, Better With You, Eli Stone, GCB, the list just keeps growing. I just hope to God they won’t cancel Castle.

Comment by May – November 17, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really bums me out. First they cancelled GCB which I LOVED and now 666. I was getting pretty into it. It was a good show to end my weekends :/

Comment by Amber – November 18, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Last Resort. It was so good! I wonder if it was hitting too close to home though? Even if it was, that sucks! Come on ABC! Give it a chance at least.
    It’s like Jericho all over again!

Comment by Risa – November 18, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is SO TYPICAL of ABC – it does NOT give a TV show a chance to find an audience – this is precisely why I do NOT watch any ABC dramas, I stick with NBC and CBS, and the CW and Fox – ABC sucks.

Comment by Carla Weems – November 18, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never really watched 666 Park Ave so I don’t really care about it, but Last Resort was one of my top picks for this season. It’s so different from anything else I tv, I guess that is probably why it didn’t do so well. I’ll be sad to see it go.

Comment by Stacey – November 19, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two more decent shows cancelled, imagine that. Pretty soon I will only be able to start watching shows on cabel as the networks kill anything good before it gets started. I hope the networks realize their numbers are only going to keep going down as more people have more options of what and when to watch shows. This practice of killing off shows before they have even had one season is just not right. Try adjusting the night they are shown on and see if they develop a better audience there. My favorite is when new shows are debuted against top 10 shows and then are dumped because they lose to an audience that is already invested in an established show. Maybe if you kept your shows on for a whole season you would have invested viewers in your show as well. There is a reason CBS has the audience they have (most of there shows have been around for several seasons and viewers know they can count on the shows returning). I am a really frustrated viewer and will now be back to just watching one show on ABC (DWTS). Great job ABC. :(

Comment by G – November 19, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…but I need Scott Speedman and Daniel Lissing on my TV every week. Give them to me!

Comment by Sarah – November 19, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 was getting so good! It’s the only show I watch besides walking dead. Please keep it going!

Comment by Scott pitman – November 19, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I DO UNDERSTAND THAT SOME SHOWS DO NOT LIVE UP TO THE RATINGS AND MUST BE CANCELLED. WHAT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IS WHY DO THEY LEAVE US HANGING. IF THEY MUST CANCEL AT LEAST WRAP IT UP. DO THEY GET OF THE ISLAND? DO THEY GET THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE COVER UP? WHAT ABOUT THE CAPTAIN, DOES HE SURVIVE? WHAT ABOUT US? DO WE GET THE SHAFT AGAIN?

Comment by Tony Gucci – November 20, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Latest update is that both shows were given enough notice that they are providing conclusions to both. At least we get that much anyway.

Comment by G – November 21, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! The blow of having something canceled may not be so bad if we knew it was getting an ending. I do think some shows have a 1 season shelf life, but instead of enjoying it for the time, the heads say oh this isn’t going to last 5+ years it’s gone.

Comment by Michelle Todd – November 28, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I very much like 666 . creery spooky and promessing.
    the last resort as I feel it was driving in to and dead end. risky senario.
    pitty.

Comment by lilly doriodou – November 20, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooo!!!!!

I like Park Avenue.

Comment by Bruce – November 21, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why they cancelled the show I was start love it its scary really :( 666 was gd show for me

Comment by MemeChi – November 25, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate ABC. They always discontinue good shows.

Comment by Adam Leite – November 26, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is it people who want SMART TV, get stuck with dumb shows? Shows that make you think and keep you guessing are dropped in their first season. Tired of every show I like getting dropped. Can you really tell me Malibu Country is better then 666 Park Avenue?

Comment by Michelle Todd – November 28, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 was one of our favorite shows! Good shows need time to develop their story lines! This show had the makings of a good drama… And there’s nothing else like it on tv! I’m so sick of the dancing / singing reality shows…. It’s hard to find a good no-reality based tv show to watch…. And then abc has to cancel it!!!!!!! We hope another network picks up this show…
    Hint hint TBS or USA!!!!

Comment by NimMou – December 2, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really disappointed that both shows are being cancelled. these networks put these shows out and don’t give them the opportunity to grow and then they put more shows out and expect us to watch them when at any given time they can pull the plug. I really liked Invasion and the cancelled that. Soon the only thing that we”ll be watching are shows about vampires or the walking dead.

Comment by Joe – December 3, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEY CABLE, pick up LAST RESORT like you did with the suckface show COUGARTOWN! also, if there were NO reality shows, the shows that are being cancelled would have had a better following! How many people thought HoneyBOOBOO was interesting TV? or The Little Couple? Or Amish runaway?

Comment by mcd131 – December 8, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it. 666 was getting good. They should keep it on!

Comment by Jackey A – December 15, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do the networks cancel shows that have a great story line, and replace it with another reality show that isn’t really reality.

Comment by Maria – December 16, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s upsetting and quite a shame Last Resort has been cancelled. It is one of the only good shows currently on TV. The creators should try to get the show picked up by USA or FX – networks who’s viewers enjoy more intellectual stimulation than the ABC viewers watching Gray’s or The Bachelor. Even if the series was finished out (instead of an abrupt one season ending) and sold on DVD without being aired I, and I’m sure many of the other 9million+ viewers, would buy the entire series.

Comment by Caitlin – December 17, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a bunch of geniuses. What did they think was going to happen going up against The Mentalist. 666 Park Avenue was a, sorry is a great program. You people a ABC might want to rethink this one.

Comment by not_happy – December 18, 2012 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, another one bites the dust So far two of my favorite new shows of the seaon were cancelled: Mob Doctor, and now 666 Park Avenue. Truth be told, I’ve never really gotten over Journeyman, Persons Unknown, The Event, Flash Forward, et. al., It seems to me that any series that involves mystery with elements of the paranormal and forces the viewer to actually think about what going on, gets cancelled. But reality TV goes on and on. This is exactly why cable television RULE. If you watch the emmys this year, count how many cable series win the awards. If you like great television, dump ABC, NBC, CBS, & FOX. Check out HBO’s “Game of Thrones”, Starz’s “Spartacus, or Magic City. Boardwalk Empire is another one to watch. Honestly, if it wasn’t for cable television, I’d spend all my time reading books and listening to the radio.

Comment by Bert – January 6, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Journeyman, American Dreams, Kings, Persons Unknown, The Event, V, Flash Forward, Mob Doctor, 666 Park Avenue, were all favorites of mine. Maybe those shows should have been offered to the networks that air Basketball Wives, The Real Houswives of Atlanta, & Keeping Up With The Kardashians. None of those shows are getting cancelled.

Comment by Bert – January 6, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC has always had the best shows (at least for a short time.). It seems like every time I like and get interested in a show and I’m looking forward to it’s return, it gets the axe. Many of my friends agree. The new refreshing ideas are trashed and some boring, predictable show take there place. Very. very disappointing, ABC!!!!

Comment by Jo – January 8, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they shoul bring back 666 park it was a great show

Comment by Lexi Ryan – January 13, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am glad to see they are not leaving us fans of 666 and Last Resort hanging. I would have been very upset by that .. I wish they would have worked because I really liked both shows. But the numbers don’t lie I guess. Burt can’t you put somethuing on with more plot. To go from Revenge to Happy Enduings- WHAT A LET DOWN ON SUN. NIGHT!!!

Comment by Bev – January 14, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dissappointed by the loss of both shows. They should at least rap up a show, so we are not left hanging. How many times has that happened??? I wonder if people will stop watching new shows, simply for the fear they will be cancelled. I have done so in the past, and I am certain to do it again. Reality TV is NOT the answer. Please, no more…

Comment by smw – January 24, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC has once again cancelled two great shows prematurely… (Last Resort & 666 Park Avenue)! Why don’t the top brass idiots at ABC, move the shows to a different time slot or day if they feel there ratings are slipping???

I can’t begin to say how many shows I’ve invested my time into watching, only to be let down by ABC pulling the plug. ABC is notorious for baiting their audience… Allowing us to become invested with the characters and story line, then cancelling them.

I just finished watching the final episode of Last Resort, and though I’m happy there was some “CLOSURE”, (and I use that term loosely) it deserved better! Not to mention THE CAST & THE FANS DESERVED BETTER!!! This is definitely NOT how I expected this series to end. Shame on you ABC, for not allowing these shows to develop further.

Here’s a suggestion: Before you cancel a series, maybe you should FIRE the idiots who are in charge of programming!

I’m done investing anymore time with any future ABC shows!

Comment by G. Stewart – January 24, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching the fnal episode of Last Resort. It looked like a series trying to give it’s audience some closure. I was so invested in these characters and plot and am so sad to see it bitched together to end the show. I wish the network would send out feelers to the fams and get some feedback before you pull the plug. I also feel the same way about 666. Then to add insult to injury these wonderful dramas are replaced with teenage mentality comedies. In my viewing estimation it’s a crime!!

Comment by Bev – January 25, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort was crap. Anyone who was in the military knows that to be true.
    666 Park Avenue started slow, was getting better. Too bad it is gone.

Comment by Bosco – January 27, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 Park Avenue failed because of its poor time slot. Some idiot at ABC thought it was a good idea to put that new show up against The Mentalist, an established show with good ratings and a solid audience. Personally, I could never get into the Mentalist but it’s now in its 5th season. Obviously a lot of people like the Mentalist so there was very little chance of 666 ever gaining enough viewership when it was opposite that show. However, I loved 666 from the very beginning and it just kept getting better and more delightfully mysterious. I doubt if any of the other networks will pick this series up. Mysteries don’t seem to do well on network television. I was deperately hoping one of the other networks would pick up Awake when that got cancelled prematurely. It looks like the only programs anybody seems interested in is more “reality TV” shows. I can’t recall any of them getting cancelled after one season no matter how boring or stupid–the bachelor, the bachelorette, survivor, extreme home makeover, shark tank, etc. and the list goes on….

Comment by Roberta – February 3, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show very sad you canceled 666 park avenue, what wrong with you ABC

Comment by CELINA – February 10, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear ppl, i heard a lot of bad things about Last Resort, about the bad stuff the navy seals do and stuff like that, respect for the navy or not, it is still television, Fiction, and i liked it. And did ppl say something about Rambo when he went to afganistan on Rambo 3? Grow all up it is just fiction and enjoy now you still can!

Comment by Peter – February 10, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post