CBS Pulls the Plug on Partners

Get More: Cancellations, News

CBS Cancels PartnersCBS has cancelled Partners after a half-dozen episodes.

The freshman comedy, starring David Krumholtz and Michael Urie, premiered to 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, demonstrating just 75 percent retention out of How I Met Your Mother from the get-go. The numbers ebbed and flowed from there, with the show this past Monday hitting a series-low rating of 1.8, while drawing 5.6 million viewers.

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Joe Manganiello Chows Down, Screws Up

CBS comedy repeats — beginning with Two and a Half Men on Nov. 19 — will fill the Mondays-at-8:30 void effective immediately, with Rules of Engagement Season 7 or the midseason newbie Friend Me likely to eventually claim the time slot.

Why do you think Partners failed to catch on?

Tags: ,

Comments (177)

• Let’s keep this going..to try and save this show.

Comment by Melissa – November 19, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually didn’t mind this show at all. Probably enjoyed it a little more than Rules of Engagement. Wouldn’t go out of my way to watch it, but I’d been keeping it on if I’d watched How I Met Your Mother live. Doesn’t seem like new comedies get much of a chance on CBS.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – November 19, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I find it awful that they gave Ashton Kutcher a chance, but can’t finish a season of a great show. Such a waste!

Comment by Lynne – November 27, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so, so, so, sooooooooooo sad. It was nice to see Michael Urie again.

Comment by jeee – November 19, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Timeslot!! Give it a real timeslot. I pray ABC or NBC picks it up.

Comment by Jon – November 19, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Partners to continue please!!! Such funny and adorable show, loved Louis and Wyatt the most.

Comment by CB – November 20, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why they won’t at least air the unaired episodes instead of showing reruns of other shows??! I agree with a lot of people who don’t understand why 2 1/2 Men and 2 Broke Girls are still on but they can’t give Partners a chance?

Comment by LS – November 25, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! I’m a huge fan of Will and Grace and this show had potential. Please bring it back!!!!!!!

Comment by Shelley Davis – November 25, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww going to miss this I loved this show and looked forward to it every Monday :( Please bring it back!!! And for those of you who complained just change the channel sheesh!

Comment by Cecile – November 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding! If you don’t like, don’t watch. I really liked that show. Sophia Bush deserved a chance. CBS is such a joke.

Comment by Lynne – November 27, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 6.5 Million viewers isn’t good enough for CBS? And that is why they suck and I won’t watch them ANYMORE.

Comment by Lynne – November 27, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show and it’s so sad they didn’t even get to finish season 1! And I loved “S!#t my dad says” as well, also cancelled after season 1. Why in the world two great showrunners as Mutchnick and Kohan can’t survive in today’s tv? These shows were greatly written and acted, maybe a few adjustments were to be made, but I’ve seen far worse shows going on. I’m so sad! Besides, I worship Michael Urie, I hope to see him soon somewhere else.

Comment by Viviana Serranò – November 28, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed– looked forward to seeing it every week!!!

Comment by Lisa – November 28, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show…there aren’t a lot of good comedies on tv right now. Sad CBS didn’t really give it a chance before pulling the plug…at least air the rest of the episodes!

Comment by lisa – November 28, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found this show very enjoyable, I’m sad it’s off the aire but they are good actors so hopefully they will find new work soon so I can still enjoy their humor!

Comment by Snowflake – December 1, 2012 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was an amazing show! I am sad to see it disappear!

Comment by Nick – December 2, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I love that show. It was recorded every monday!!! Please bring it back. I believe that it went off because they is so many shows on monday. Dancing with the stars is on monday. Please bring partners back !!!!!!!

Comment by Natasha – December 3, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason is because you have whack job executives with the attention span of a gnat who will not let a show find its audience or get its groove. So they replace a show that has promise with dreck that they think will appeal to the lowest common denominator. If people look at the first half of the first season of Will and Grace, it was woefully strained. Then it found its footing BECAUSE IT WAS GIVEN A CHANCE TO. Dumbassed TV execs. That’s what you get when you hand over network programming to 25 year old arrested adolescents.

Comment by phil – December 3, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show!! Every show my Husband and I start liking, always gets cancelled!!ugh!!

Comment by Donna N. – December 3, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh that sucks.. Best new show this season.. I don’t understand… Way better than the new normal… I’m really sad.. They should’ve given it a real chance.. It would’ve been a big hit by the end of the season.. For sure!

Comment by E – December 6, 2012 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god this show sucked. the laugh track ruined it. not every line of dialogue needs to be a joke

Comment by Resz – December 8, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! It was so damn funny, and since it had a gay couple in it, it helped me relate to it!!! Wtf!!! It was so so so funny!!

Comment by Brendan – December 11, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And here I thought that I would have a show to comfort me when HIMYM would be gone…Partners was good, despite what people say, in a sence that it kept getting better each episodes and I was personally really warming up to the characters. I guess whether the cast had chemistry or not is debatable, depending on the person, but I thought so. I really liked Joe and Louis, and the secretary at work. Also, the back story of Wyatt ! Can you imagine if we had had the chance to meet his family? They didn’t even let us see Allie turn into bridezilla. The thing is, I knew all the actors before the show, but it was only once I saw them together that I was interested in what else they might have done.

Comment by Alexia – December 25, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO i loved it. Can any other network pic it up, like NBC? :/

Comment by Nathan – January 5, 2013 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well then, this is disappointing :/ I really liked this show, it was so funny >.<

Comment by Shanta – January 12, 2013 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible show, glad it’s gone!

Comment by BeachBum46 – January 20, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was great :( I hope another networks picks it up

Comment by krista – February 1, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was a miserably unfunny show that constantly brought up gayness. The guy from numbers killed his career in it, as did Brandon Routh. The rest of the cast were already washed up anyway. It blew and I’m glad it’s gone.

Comment by Nate Higgers – March 11, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? they cancelled the show? but it was sooo funny! why? its not that bad is it?

I was always laughing at them, especially at JOe and Louis’ banter.

I also would like to see a flamboyant gay guy in tv for once, coz i havent seen one before!
    Seriously, its like people have vendetta’s for them. And mostly the flamboyant one’s are shun.

I love gay people for just being themselves (flaming or not), and i love how Urie is playing his role, he’s perfect for it.

His character is suppose to be hyperactive and selfish and needy with boundary issues. Doesnt have spells a lot of trouble that equals to fun?

They say it has the same plot as the sitcom in 1995? So wat? Most stories in tv shows had to have similarities to them, so they shud just get it out of their system already.

And by all the Gods, i was still a baby when they made that show! LOL

Comment by ginia – March 24, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Urie and Brandon routh was too gay for the exec’s?

Sad to see this show get treated like dirt, brushed off like its nothing. 5 million viewers doesn’t cut it? really? what will?

It was even place in the people’s choice awards so it couldn’t have been simply for the ratings and popularity?

I like it that the main characters Joe and Louis are friends, and it transcended the issues of Louis being gay. I like it that they are like brothers, and they stick with each other through thick and thin.

It has a good premise, and tv shows today are either filled with gore, human cruelty, petty arguments, jealousy, betrayal and cheating.

I mean, for me it was good that i get to see something that actually speaks about a relationship that’s base on love and respect.

I love this show a lot, its fun and lighthearted, and no deaths.

I dont have to dread that somebody will die in the story later on, so I’m not steeling myself the way I do when I watch other shows, and I cant remember when was the last time I felt like that. Unburden by the plots screwing me over.

Im just disappointed that they cancelled a show that can still improve, I really dont know what they’re thinking.

…Homophobia?

Comment by ginia – March 24, 2013 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Chinese,i really love this show.Why less person watch it?I think it’s funny and 2 men are cute!!!!!( >﹏<。)~

Comment by Fay – June 2, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    i love the show
    i hate this all good show are cancel

Comment by Chris – January 4, 2014 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post