CBS Pulls the Plug on Partners

Get More: Cancellations, News

CBS Cancels PartnersCBS has cancelled Partners after a half-dozen episodes.

The freshman comedy, starring David Krumholtz and Michael Urie, premiered to 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, demonstrating just 75 percent retention out of How I Met Your Mother from the get-go. The numbers ebbed and flowed from there, with the show this past Monday hitting a series-low rating of 1.8, while drawing 5.6 million viewers.

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Joe Manganiello Chows Down, Screws Up

CBS comedy repeats — beginning with Two and a Half Men on Nov. 19 — will fill the Mondays-at-8:30 void effective immediately, with Rules of Engagement Season 7 or the midseason newbie Friend Me likely to eventually claim the time slot.

Why do you think Partners failed to catch on?

Tags: ,

Comments (177)

• This show was a real stinker. Good riddance!

Comment by Alex – November 16, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww that’s too bad. I thought it was funny! 2 Broke Girls on the other hand, not so funny …. boooo CBS!

Comment by Kim – November 16, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. I liked it a lot.

Comment by Kristina – November 16, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This really sucks. I love this show and think its really funny. I think the cast works well together and love all the references to Brandon Routh as superman. This is sad. Yet two and a half man continues to live on, I swear they do it just to spite Charlie.

Comment by Maria – November 16, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to see this show go…I wasn’t to sure about it the first two episodes, but it is comedy so I gave them time to get their timing down. Seems like the last episode they really had. LOVE Krumholtz and Urie, and I really think they were just learning how to play off of one another. I absolutely hate it when networks pull the plug on shows they’ve already taped. Let us at least see what there was left, it isn’t going to hurt. Much better than reruns!

Comment by dq18 – November 16, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer – I really liked it!

Comment by Kat – November 16, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad. This show is way better than Two and a Half Men…..Now there’s a show that should be cancelled!!

Comment by Linda – November 16, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show!!! Michael Urie is so funny!!! I think they should move The Big Bang Theory back to Monday and get rid of Two and Half Men and make Thursday a drama night. Just saying!

Comment by Kara – November 16, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What?! I loved this show! And replacing it with more 2 and 1/2 men? Seriously?

Comment by Kat – November 16, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man! This show actually made me laugh out loud and it was really finding it’s footing the last few episodes.

Too bad TBS can’t save all the quirky comedies that get cancelled too quick from the broadcast networks.

Comment by FragglesRock – November 16, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The should’ve tried new writers. The cast was great. Sophia is brilliant and Mike is an asset to any comedy, plus Brandon has been nailing it. Damn. Certainly a lot more funny series on air, but they just needed to retool it.

Comment by Brock – November 16, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rather sad that shows are no longer given a true first season to grow and find an audience. So many hits from the past would not last in today’s insta-success or your over world

Comment by Amanda – November 16, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wasn’t the best show, but it was decent. I went to a taping of it and it was seriously the funniest episode I’ve seen of Partners, and I’m sad I won’t get to see the final cut. The episode was about Sophia Bush’s character being PRETTY funny, not pretty funny..i.e. only funny to guys cuz they think she’s hot. I laughed out loud so much! oh well :(

Comment by Elissa – November 16, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Partners was silly and the people, especially Louis (Michael Urie), were more stereotypical caricatures than believable characters. It was shallower than a coat of paint.

Comment by Larc – November 16, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You say “Louis” but Michael Urie is the best actor in TV so they isn’t the same person.

Comment by Diana – November 16, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If witney got a second chance, maybe they can get it too. This is so much better than Witney.

Comment by Pearl – November 16, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha that’s true!!! PEOPLE GIVE IT A SECOND CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

Comment by Diana – November 16, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the Ugly Betty people seem to be having much luck with new shows, huh? ABC should’ve just made a Marc and Amanda spinoff when they had the chance

Comment by Annie – November 16, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • rules of engagement is still on???

Comment by cjeffery7 – November 16, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!!! I really enjoyed this show!!! This sucks!!!

Comment by Rebecca – November 16, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how could they, it was the best comedy around! love this show!

Comment by sarah m – November 16, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. Knew it would do that well.

Comment by Ali – November 16, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I’m really bummed! I loved the show.

Comment by Heather – November 16, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see there are a great many postings here, so love the show or hate it, at least it inspired passion – good or bad. I know there will be some finger pointing, and believe me, there are aspects of this show that I think were not working well; but that said, I do wish the actors and creative crew on Partners the best of luck in their next endeavors.

As was noted on Deadline.com, the good news (if we can call it that) is that with the cancellation of this show so early in the season, it means the actors are free to participate in the upcoming pilot casting season that will soon be taking place. I’ll be rooting for Sophia to land another series, and I’m sure we all wish her and the rest of the cast and crew good wishes.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – November 16, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really liked this show. Kinda sad now :(

Comment by Rob – November 16, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so flippin’ disgusting that we have to look at the numbers to see why it’s cancelled. Demo ratings, total viewers… to hell with it. I hate that everything has to be business in Hollywood.

Comment by Pepper – November 16, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for those who watched. I never watched an episode and glad I didn’t get started on it.

Comment by Diz – November 16, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is bs! I love this show. Yes it took a while to get their footing but they did and it’s so funny. This gets canceled while CBS keeps Two and a half men, 2 broke girls and Rules of Enagement. All of which i don’t watch because i personally don’t like them. What in the world is going on at CBS first they cancel Unforgettable then decide oh no we’ll keep it and just make viewers wait a year til we bring it back and now they do this. The person in charge over there needs to be fired!

Comment by Kassie – November 16, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Take that Sophia, that’s whart you get for voting for Obama. You’re fired.

Comment by BrianR – November 16, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re a fool.

Comment by Tom – November 16, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Typical democrat can’t take a little joke.

Comment by BrianR – November 16, 2012 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nobody made this political except for you. Nobody deserves to be out of work. And this isn’t a political forum. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

Comment by Tom – November 17, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m so sorry she made a big political story on TV Guide about how awful Mitt Romney was well so there.

Comment by BrianR – November 17, 2012 04:11 PM PDT
        • So her show should be canceled and she should be out of work because she disagrees with your politics?

Comment by Tom – November 17, 2012 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Despite what people said, I really enjoyed this show.

Comment by Mr. TV – November 16, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!! I loved that show!!

Comment by Emily – November 16, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancelled Partners. I haven’t laughed this much in a long time. Great Cast, Hilarious and looked forward to it every week from the first episode. People don’t know what’s funny anymore, life is too serious, this is what we needed. It will definitely be missed. Please dont take it off the air……!!!!!!!!

Comment by Paula Lembo Cuozzo – November 16, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barely made it through the first show and about 10 minutes of the second, was a clear goner.

Comment by Eric – November 16, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! I was literally just talking about how great the show is and then read this! Very disappointed :(

Comment by erin – November 16, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show was a slow burn, and getting funnier. Too bad.

Comment by Eric – November 16, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it, I loved this show! Brandon Routh was surprisingly great as Wyatt and the show was finally finding its legs. Here’s hoping CBS will air all the taped episodes so we can enjoy as much of the show as we can.

Comment by Nicole – November 16, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this show, initially. However, it had just started to hit its stride, and I was actually starting to enjoy it. Now it’ll never have the chance to reach its full potential. At least Community is coming back!… in three months…

Comment by Eric – November 16, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a shame! I thought this was a fun show ~ and to be replaced with Two and 1/2 Men reruns? Even more shameful!

Comment by Carol C – November 16, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Find them another network.
    I LOVED this show!

Comment by Kate – November 16, 2012 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way! I genuinely like this show :( Sophie Bush is a little wooden and far top gestural and they seriously need to flesh out Brandon Routh’s character more but Urie and Krumholtz were doing an awesome job. Sadface.

Comment by Ella – November 16, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked this show and I’m sorry to see it go. Rules of Engagement??! Really.

Comment by Kel – November 16, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The “clapping” music interludes were annoying.

Comment by Jason Paul – November 16, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those were taken from the theme song, “On Top of the World” by Imagine Dragons. Because that is one of my favorite songs, I cannot agree with your comment. Sorry.

Comment by Eric – November 17, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pity – one of the better ones. Probably suffered from the current gay overload

Comment by cuius – November 16, 2012 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Urie’s character was soooo badly writen, such a waste of his talent. I watched it because the cast was great and I was really trying to like but it was so not funny that it will not be missed.

Comment by Leo – November 17, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAL, MAL, MAL!!!
    This show was getting better every week!! I’m just so disappointed…and angry!!!

Comment by matx88 – November 17, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted to like it I REALLY did, but I never could get into it.

Comment by C – November 17, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was getting better each week. I saw a taping in Sept that hasn’t even aired yet about Louis giving Joe his grandmother’s ring and the show was hilarious! It would be nice if Fox or NBC picked it up as it’s a better sitcom than most of their shows. Someone please pick up this show!

Comment by John – November 17, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Title was bad

Comment by Sam – November 17, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted to love this show as I love the cast, but it just never came together that well. The characters were all pretty shallow stereotypes, and the writing was mediocre. The cast deserved a lot better, even for a CBS show. I was not surprised it got cancelled. It was pleasant and fun to watch (and Brandon is fun to look at), but it was just not a great show.

Comment by Andrew Chmielowicz – November 17, 2012 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Be free, Sophia. BE FREE!

Comment by letsbehonest – November 18, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched because I love Sophia Bush. I hope she finds something better soon!

Comment by Sam – November 18, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad. I really liked the show and felt it was only getting better. It’s too bad shows these days don’t get a chance to prove themselves.

Comment by Sarah – November 19, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post