CBS Pulls the Plug on Partners

CBS Cancels PartnersCBS has cancelled Partners after a half-dozen episodes.

The freshman comedy, starring David Krumholtz and Michael Urie, premiered to 6.5 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating, demonstrating just 75 percent retention out of How I Met Your Mother from the get-go. The numbers ebbed and flowed from there, with the show this past Monday hitting a series-low rating of 1.8, while drawing 5.6 million viewers.

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Joe Manganiello Chows Down, Screws Up

CBS comedy repeats — beginning with Two and a Half Men on Nov. 19 — will fill the Mondays-at-8:30 void effective immediately, with Rules of Engagement Season 7 or the midseason newbie Friend Me likely to eventually claim the time slot.

Why do you think Partners failed to catch on?

1. Alex says:

This show was a real stinker. Good riddance!

2. Kim says:

Aww that’s too bad. I thought it was funny! 2 Broke Girls on the other hand, not so funny …. boooo CBS!

3. Kristina says:

Bummer. I liked it a lot.

4. Maria says:

This really sucks. I love this show and think its really funny. I think the cast works well together and love all the references to Brandon Routh as superman. This is sad. Yet two and a half man continues to live on, I swear they do it just to spite Charlie.

5. dq18 says:

Sad to see this show go…I wasn’t to sure about it the first two episodes, but it is comedy so I gave them time to get their timing down. Seems like the last episode they really had. LOVE Krumholtz and Urie, and I really think they were just learning how to play off of one another. I absolutely hate it when networks pull the plug on shows they’ve already taped. Let us at least see what there was left, it isn’t going to hurt. Much better than reruns!

6. Kat says:

Bummer – I really liked it!

7. Linda says:

Too bad. This show is way better than Two and a Half Men…..Now there’s a show that should be cancelled!!

8. Kara says:

I loved this show!!! Michael Urie is so funny!!! I think they should move The Big Bang Theory back to Monday and get rid of Two and Half Men and make Thursday a drama night. Just saying!

9. Kat says:

What?! I loved this show! And replacing it with more 2 and 1/2 men? Seriously?

10. FragglesRock says:

Aw man! This show actually made me laugh out loud and it was really finding it’s footing the last few episodes.

Too bad TBS can’t save all the quirky comedies that get cancelled too quick from the broadcast networks.

11. Brock says:

The should’ve tried new writers. The cast was great. Sophia is brilliant and Mike is an asset to any comedy, plus Brandon has been nailing it. Damn. Certainly a lot more funny series on air, but they just needed to retool it.

12. Amanda says:

rather sad that shows are no longer given a true first season to grow and find an audience. So many hits from the past would not last in today’s insta-success or your over world

13. Elissa says:

It wasn’t the best show, but it was decent. I went to a taping of it and it was seriously the funniest episode I’ve seen of Partners, and I’m sad I won’t get to see the final cut. The episode was about Sophia Bush’s character being PRETTY funny, not pretty funny..i.e. only funny to guys cuz they think she’s hot. I laughed out loud so much! oh well :(

14. Larc says:

Partners was silly and the people, especially Louis (Michael Urie), were more stereotypical caricatures than believable characters. It was shallower than a coat of paint.

15. Pearl says:

If witney got a second chance, maybe they can get it too. This is so much better than Witney.

16. Annie says:

None of the Ugly Betty people seem to be having much luck with new shows, huh? ABC should’ve just made a Marc and Amanda spinoff when they had the chance

17. cjeffery7 says:

rules of engagement is still on???

18. Rebecca says:

NO!!!! I really enjoyed this show!!! This sucks!!!

19. sarah m says:

how could they, it was the best comedy around! love this show!

20. Ali says:

Not surprised. Knew it would do that well.

21. Heather says:

Now I’m really bummed! I loved the show.

22. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I see there are a great many postings here, so love the show or hate it, at least it inspired passion – good or bad. I know there will be some finger pointing, and believe me, there are aspects of this show that I think were not working well; but that said, I do wish the actors and creative crew on Partners the best of luck in their next endeavors.

As was noted on Deadline.com, the good news (if we can call it that) is that with the cancellation of this show so early in the season, it means the actors are free to participate in the upcoming pilot casting season that will soon be taking place. I’ll be rooting for Sophia to land another series, and I’m sure we all wish her and the rest of the cast and crew good wishes.

23. Rob says:

I actually really liked this show. Kinda sad now :(

24. Pepper says:

It’s so flippin’ disgusting that we have to look at the numbers to see why it’s cancelled. Demo ratings, total viewers… to hell with it. I hate that everything has to be business in Hollywood.

25. Diz says:

Too bad for those who watched. I never watched an episode and glad I didn’t get started on it.

26. Kassie says:

This is bs! I love this show. Yes it took a while to get their footing but they did and it’s so funny. This gets canceled while CBS keeps Two and a half men, 2 broke girls and Rules of Enagement. All of which i don’t watch because i personally don’t like them. What in the world is going on at CBS first they cancel Unforgettable then decide oh no we’ll keep it and just make viewers wait a year til we bring it back and now they do this. The person in charge over there needs to be fired!

27. BrianR says:

Take that Sophia, that’s whart you get for voting for Obama. You’re fired.

28. Mr. TV says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Despite what people said, I really enjoyed this show.

29. Emily says:

No!! I loved that show!!

30. I can’t believe they cancelled Partners. I haven’t laughed this much in a long time. Great Cast, Hilarious and looked forward to it every week from the first episode. People don’t know what’s funny anymore, life is too serious, this is what we needed. It will definitely be missed. Please dont take it off the air……!!!!!!!!

31. Eric says:

Barely made it through the first show and about 10 minutes of the second, was a clear goner.

32. erin says:

Nooooo! I was literally just talking about how great the show is and then read this! Very disappointed :(

33. Eric says:

The show was a slow burn, and getting funnier. Too bad.

34. Nicole says:

Dang it, I loved this show! Brandon Routh was surprisingly great as Wyatt and the show was finally finding its legs. Here’s hoping CBS will air all the taped episodes so we can enjoy as much of the show as we can.

35. Eric says:

I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this show, initially. However, it had just started to hit its stride, and I was actually starting to enjoy it. Now it’ll never have the chance to reach its full potential. At least Community is coming back!… in three months…

36. Carol C says:

What a shame! I thought this was a fun show ~ and to be replaced with Two and 1/2 Men reruns? Even more shameful!

37. Kate says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Find them another network.
    I LOVED this show!

38. Ella says:

No way! I genuinely like this show :( Sophie Bush is a little wooden and far top gestural and they seriously need to flesh out Brandon Routh’s character more but Urie and Krumholtz were doing an awesome job. Sadface.

39. Kel says:

I liked this show and I’m sorry to see it go. Rules of Engagement??! Really.

40. Jason Paul says:

The “clapping” music interludes were annoying.

• Eric says:

Those were taken from the theme song, “On Top of the World” by Imagine Dragons. Because that is one of my favorite songs, I cannot agree with your comment. Sorry.

41. cuius says:

Pity – one of the better ones. Probably suffered from the current gay overload

42. Leo says:

Michael Urie’s character was soooo badly writen, such a waste of his talent. I watched it because the cast was great and I was really trying to like but it was so not funny that it will not be missed.

43. matx88 says:

MAL, MAL, MAL!!!
    This show was getting better every week!! I’m just so disappointed…and angry!!!

44. C says:

I really wanted to like it I REALLY did, but I never could get into it.

45. John says:

It was getting better each week. I saw a taping in Sept that hasn’t even aired yet about Louis giving Joe his grandmother’s ring and the show was hilarious! It would be nice if Fox or NBC picked it up as it’s a better sitcom than most of their shows. Someone please pick up this show!

46. Sam says:

Title was bad

47. I really wanted to love this show as I love the cast, but it just never came together that well. The characters were all pretty shallow stereotypes, and the writing was mediocre. The cast deserved a lot better, even for a CBS show. I was not surprised it got cancelled. It was pleasant and fun to watch (and Brandon is fun to look at), but it was just not a great show.

48. letsbehonest says:

Be free, Sophia. BE FREE!

49. Sam says:

I only watched because I love Sophia Bush. I hope she finds something better soon!

50. Sarah says:

That’s too bad. I really liked the show and felt it was only getting better. It’s too bad shows these days don’t get a chance to prove themselves.