Vampire Diaries Recap: Confessions of the Heart

Vampire Diaries Nina DobrevThe theme of Thursday night’s The Vampire Diaries: “You’re a monster. You deserve to die.”

Elena, suffering from hallucinations after killing Connor, keeps hearing those words from everyone – the hunter, Katherine (even if it was just a vision, what a welcome return!) and even her own mother. But it was some words exchanged at the episode’s end that really shook things up. We’ll get to that in a bit. First, things get so bad that Elena even stabs Jeremy in the neck, thinking he’s Connor. (He’s wearing his ring, so he’s OK, but ouch!)

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries First Look: Miss Mystic Falls Brings Together Unlikely Couples

The torture will continue to plague Elena until she’s driven to kill herself, Klaus informs her. He himself was tormented for 52 years until the vision just stopped one day. He doesn’t know why, but Professor Shane does. He tells Damon and Bonnie there’s a way to put an end to it – by awakening the next potential hunter. Jeremy needs to kill a vampire – Jer suggests Damon, hardy-har-har – and become one of The Five to save his sister, so he takes out one of Klaus’ hybrids.

Meanwhile, Elena makes her way to Wickery Bridge to prove that the third time’s a charm. After some cajoling from her mom, she throws her daylight ring into the water, prepared to die when the sun rises. But rather than Stefan, it’s Damon who comes to her rescue at his brother’s urging (“You go find her. Talk her down. She’ll listen to you.”). The next morning, Elena is extremely grateful that he saved her, and as his hand lingers on hers, Damon… takes the high road! He reveals the truth about why Stefan’s been lying to her and how it’s all to find a cure for her. But it’s not enough to salvage their relationship as Elena and Stefan finally have a much-needed, honest conversation about you-know-who.

STEFAN | I sent him because lately it seems like he’s able to get through to you in ways that I can’t. You listen to him. You trust him even when you can’t trust me. … You can admit it.

ELENA | Something’s changed between Damon and me. Much more than it ever used to be, it’s like everything I felt for him before I was a vampire…

STEFAN | Your feelings for him have been magnified. … I can’t do this, Elena. Not anymore.

ELENA | I know.

And so, their romance is over in a rather mature way for a young love triangle. But is Elena ready to jump into a relationship with Damon right away? Would it be a little awkward with Stefan still in the picture? (Come on, you know he’s not going to leave town.) Or is three seasons of build-up enough for you to throw caution to the wind and say, “Go for it, Elena!”

In interesting romantic developments on another front: Caroline and Tyler pretend to be on the outs to distract Klaus from their hybrid revolution. It’s refreshing to see Caroline and Hayley playing on the same team, even if the wolf gal doesn’t look like she appreciates Vampire Diaries Ian Somerhalder Kat Grahamthe couple kissing in front of her. Caroline uses her charms to get Klaus’ attention at the Mystic Grill while Stefan tries to get to Elena, and Klaus tells her he wouldn’t have let Tyler hurt her if he was still sired. It’s all fun and games until she admits she was distracting him and Stefan’s lost Elena. Then the nasty Klaus comes out. In the end, she has to agree to go out on a date with the Original in order for him to give up one of his hybrids. Naturally, this doesn’t please Tyler, but it makes for great entertainment.

As for Professor Shane, April finally connects him to her dad, which leads Matt to do some digging. Pastor Young called Shane several times on the day he died. Also a bad sign: The prof tells Bonnie that only he can help when Jeremy completes his hunter’s mark, and she either seems to believe him or she is being hypnotized again. And is his story of Silas, who wants to rise again and regain his power, the big bad that’s ahead?

Vampire Diaries fans, what did you think of Elena’s confession?What do you make of Shane’s plans? Did the Caroline and Klaus scenes delight you? And is the Lockwood Mansion now the go-to werewolf/hybrid hangout?

1. C. says:

I’ve never been on any side; I like both Delena and Stelena. But Stefan breaking up with Elena has to be one of the better things on this show. Stefan needs someone who will love him unconditionally, love him as much as he loves Elena because I don’t think Elena ever loved Stefan quite as much. And with this breakup, I REALLY hope Elena becomes less useless. I find myself tuning everything she says out because it adds no content whatsoever to the plot. I agree with what everyone says: Elena should just end up with no one. Screw love triangles, let her learn about herself and her needs before she thinks about other relationships.

2. Alli says:

Am I the only one here who’s a Stelena shipper? Stephen had her first, therefor I’ve always kind of looked at Damon as a girlfriend stealer.
    I’ve just always pictured Stefan as better for her. I really hope this whole Damon thing blows over… I hope this is just a ploy the show is doing to satisfy the Delena shippers but it isn’t permanent.
    I don’t know… I can’t really explain it, but I just feel that Stefan is the one for her. He’s always been there for her from the beginning, and they’ve been through SO MUCH… I just can’t see it abruptly ending like that.
    Especially if the cure is found, and if Elena goes human again, will she go back to Stefan? Even if she doesn’t go human, I have a feeling she’ll go back to Stefan in the end. It always goes back to Stefan.
    Stefan said in one episode “I’ll always love her.” So he will always be there. I don’t think that will be ignored. I can’t see Stelena being the main relationship for the past 3 seasons and just being thrown away, ya know? I think Delena won’t last.

• Elissa says:

You’re not alone! I agree with everything you just said!! Elena as a vampire might be right for Damon but once Stefan finds that cure – because he WILL keep looking for it, he knows she NEVER wanted this and he obviously will always care about her – Elena will be human again. And don’t you think Stefan would like to be human again, too? My bet is they both get cured and run off into the sunset together. Damon LOVES being a vampire so I doubt he’d be interested in being human again..so just the fact that there is a cure out there sets it up for Damon & Elena to not end up together in the end.

3. Little Scarf Girl says:

Eh, I don’t care too much one way or the other about who’s with who on this show. I like Damon as a character much better than Stefan, and therefore enjoy his scenes with Elena much more than her scenes with Stefan. But I think Elena is annoying, and I honestly wanted her to end up with Matt in the end, since that would be the “normal, happy future” that should could never really have with Damon or Stefan, and it would almost be sort of full-circle in that she wasn’t sure she wanted to be with Matt way back in the beginning, and after her experiences with the vampires, she could see that it’s what she really did want. Of course, this would be provided she actually does turn back into a human, which I’m not so sure I like the idea of. (It makes the ramifications of becoming a vampire a little less powerful.)

4. aleena smith says:

well….delena goes 4 me….but i think she student have chosen either…

5. Tiffany says:

I like both Stefan and Damon but I really think Damon should be with Elena and Stefan should be with Kat or Caroline. They are vampires and wolves,and witches and hybrids this is not a normal world people are going to get killed especially loved ones by loved ones, dating brothers and ex bestfriends betrayal and much more.secondly both men loved and lost just as much as each other damon really never had his father while stefan loved his father and was killed by him later only to kill him back, stefan kind of made damons decision for him in becoming a vampire, they both loved kat but kat only loved damon which means damon turned into a vampire really for nothing but his brother did for love, now elena which damon met first in reality wants stefan as well. damon has been rejected he kills others because he has no one thats what the pain made him because i understand it. hes strong and he finally shows his caring side again for elena and i think that they could be a very strong in love couple. sometime i feel as though elena just likes stefan cause she thinks she met him first. as for elena not deserving of either she really is annoying sometimes because shes too good and when she wants to save everybody she makes stupid decisions that gets people killed while others are trying to save her but i still like her and i love kat. i think her story as a human is very sad and that def shaped why she is the way she is overall i love this show.

6. melina says:

Elena is a vry self-centered person…people like damon cause he is hot,funny,bad bleh bleh…bt I like stefan…he. Deserves some better…elena is a stupid self-centered girl…I wish delena luck…they fit themselves cause dey both lack humanity…I wish stefan finds someone like him someone who will love him with evrythng jst like he loves elena

7. Animej22 says:

The whole point of this serie is Stefan and elena’s devotion with eachother…no matter what struggle they face their love stays strong…it is very dissapointing that it changed..the whole story and all the hardship from the very beginning of this serie doesnt make sense anymore cause of that…now i rather read the book.

8. Sam says:

it’s pretty obvious that elena will end up with stefan in the end.. i mean it will always be stefan, especially if they find the cure, or he could end up with kat, i mean she loves him and he has a thing for her, if he didnt, he wouldnt have chased elena in the first place

9. Sam says:

AND I REALLY THINK IT WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE STEFAN BEING WITH KAT!!

10. Aliyah says:

honestly, I think Damon deserves better than Elena, but that she should get back with Stefan.