Scandal Recap: 'It's Getting Weird in Here'

Scandal Recap, Olivia and HuckABC’s Scandal this Thursday hosted a killer meeting in the P&A conference room, while Olivia and Cyrus each took drastic measures to handle explosive situations.

SPY GAME | Crosby, a spook who once ran a super-black op dubbed B-613, races an envelope to the postwoman… and then proceeds to blow his brains out. The envelope, delivered to Olivia, contains a coded message indicating that the six spies who worked on B-613 are in jeopardy of being exposed, by an elusive uberhacker named Sarnoff. Olivia asks Huck, against his advisement, to “bring in” the other five, which he does via a coded message broadcast over a numbers channel. Soon enough, Melvin (Bernard!), Betsy (The Middleman!), “Wink” (Port Charles‘ Courtney), Paul and Huck’s ol’ pal Charlie show up, and the instant they deduce that one of them is on Sarnoff’s payroll they pull guns on each other.

As (a nervous) Harrison urges cooler heads to prevail, Olivia confronts Sarnoff’s mouthpiece, assuring him that if let loose, the six spies will find, torture and kill the counselor. He coughs up the leak’s Swiss bank account number, which points to Melvin. When Charlie goes to “tie up a loose end” and pop Melvin, Huck lets loose with an impassioned (well, impassioned for him) plea, about how each of them is just trying to find a normal life, and maybe love, too. The speech works… for a moment, until sharpshooter Wink puts a bullet in Mel’s forehead. And then the others swing into clean-up crew action. (“I’ll get the oil drum!”) The next morning, Liv is relieved to find Huck still in her orbit, and he reveals how his nickname “Spin” was short for “spinster,” in that he’d never find someone. But now he has Becky — provided her background check pans out!

Speaking of background checks….

HUSBANDS & LIES | The hour opened with Olivia walking back from a date with Edison (aka Senator Davis, with whom she once lived), as they debate Nixon/Watergate versus Clinton/”one blue dress.” But there will be no nightcap, Liv maintains. Instead, she enters her apartment and listens in on David and Abby, who are talking about Doyle Energy, pipelines and… Abs getting “a drawer.” (Awww.) Cyrus, meanwhile, is aghast to see husband James land a story on the front page of the paper, above the fold, decrying Hollis Doyle and quoting some of Cyrus’ pillow talk as a “source.” Cy promptly gets a visit from Doyle, who urges the Chief of Staff to “shut that noise down…. Put your wife in a leash.” So, while Cyrus engages in a bit of Damp Eyes and Breaking Voice Theater to prompt James to back off of future Doyle exposés, Olivia finds herself met by a tempting offer.

“It’s getting weird in here,” Harrison says, alluding to the office atmosphere. “What do you need?” Harrison says he owes Olivia, for being there for him when he landed behind bars back in the day; she counters she was just doing her job. “I’m not your job; I’m your family, I’m your gladiator,” he corrects. “What do you need?” After much hesitation, Olivia utters forth an assignment: “Abby and David can’t be together.” Harrison’s response: “Consider it handled.” Fed a clue about Abby’s past as a battered wife, Harrison first puts a bug in his colleague’s ear about checking into David’s background, and then he hands a wad of cash to a woman in a bar. Later, that woman — an ex of David’s — lies to Abby that he used to rough her up. Abby thus abruptly, adamantly ends things with David and then confesses her secret fling to Da Boss, who later breaks down and lets Edison into her apartment.

What did you think of “Spies Like Us”? Sad or surprised to see the Abby/David romance cut short so soon, and through such unscrupulous means? Happy to see Huck acknowledge the mark Becky has made on him?

1. DramaMomma says:

Get that it had to be done, but bummed about David and Abbe. Whatever the conspiracy is, it better be good to be worth breaking those two up. Getting a little tired of Liv’s hurt kitten face pout.

• Katie says:

Yes! That face! It needs to stop upstaging all her other faces!

• bethany says:

I thought I was the only one! That sad, pouty, worried, perplexed face is the worst! It was way too front and center this episode, I wanted to punch her.

• Shookup says:

Would you rather see her squinting slyly or smirking come on guys It hurts her to do the dirty work that she has to do she has a conscious BUT someone has to “fix things”

• starry118 says:

Lol @ the “squinting slyly or smirking” part…you were referring to Abby weren’t you?

• Bob says:

And they speak much too quickly. When you’re 67 getting and understanding every word becomes a difficult task. Things move too quickly as if they really need to rush everything they try to “fix”. I had a feeling that Norm Lewis was last seen live on Broadway in “Porgy and Bess” with the amazing Audra McDonald.

• Jackie says:

Amen, Bob! That’s my complaint, too (at age 60). I have to constantly rewind to catch the dialogue.

• Kristen says:

all this conspiracy about a PIPELINE?!?! Ugh, I hope that isn’t really the case.

• H.Houston says:

It’s not about a pipeline… pay attention to what Abby said at the end of last week’s episode. The company was building something that was used in slot machines, but it’s other use was in voting boxes… as in voting boxes used for elections….

• Yep…ppl had to pay attention to the convo between Abby and David. I also wonder if the 4000 some odd votes that the governor lost by was because of the software and if the Prez was made the Prez because he is easily manipulated by the little secret society they have

• H.Houston says:

I believe that they got him the election… for whatever reason they got him the election. And I think that one district is what did it.

• bigdede says:

I so sgree about Liv’s kitten face pout. While I love the character, I hate HATE that face. They have to find some other way to show Liv feels bad. Also find her a boyfriend who doesn’t look 75!

2. Anna says:

I don’t think I realized how much I liked David and Abby until this episode and then they broke up so kinda sad about that. But I loved this episode, Huck is awesome. I kinda wanted to see an epic Olivia/ Abby showdown though

3. brenda says:

I’m glad Abbe broke up with David, don’t like him, its a conflict for them to be together. Still not sure about Huck & becky

4. Margaret says:

Charlie aka George Newbern aka Bryan McKenzie from Father of the Bride!!

5. KCC says:

Thanks, Matt!! Great review!!

6. Julia says:

This was definitely my favourite episode after “The Trail”, I’m glad we finally got to explore the interpersonal relationships within Pope and Associates. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the FLOTUS and POTUS storyline too, but I think Scandal needed to add more depth/devote more screen-time to the OPA characters that doesn’t involve case-related, exposition-laden dialogue.. Plus, the music cues were amazing as usual.

• thoughtsfromthecity says:

I agree! I really like that they’re taking a break from the White House stories and taking time to develop the OPA characters. Especially excited to see more of Harrison

7. KCC says:

I’ve been liking these Fitz-less episodes as they’ve shifted away from Olitz and focused on other characters and storylines.
    – I hope that Becky is clean. Huck should do a background check for peace of mind.
    – I appreciated that the spies were on top of their game; although they were on the phone (except for Charlie) they all remembered the “prescription” that the doctor gave and linked it to the account.
    – Poor Abby and David, I liked them as a couple.
    – Cyrus has been shining in these past few episodes. He really is running the White House. I like the brief moments that he’s had with Olivia these past few episodes.

• H.Houston says:

I love watching Cyrus and Olivia scenes. There is such a deep connection between the two of them. and it feels truly genuine

8. love tv says:

loved matt’s reference to Boston Legal. How i miss that show esp James Spader.

9. stella says:

Olivia is really starting to annoy me. She messes with peoples’ lives way too much, there has to be some comeuppance at some point for her! I so ready for Fitz to be back now. I much prefer the characters at the White House than I do OPA. Quinn is as useless as ever. Huck is more disturbing now than endearing. Harrison is still pretty much just a pretty face with undying loyalty to Liv and not much else. I don’t know if it’s the writing or the acting but Mellie, Cyrus and Fitz are much more interesting characters and more fleshed out than anyone else on the show.

• Eli says:

Preach sister! I am as big a Scandal fan as anyone, but I simply do not understand why the majority of Scandal fans keep putting Olivia Pope on this pedestal and seem to be blind to the kind of person she actually is.

• Kristen says:

Yeah, I don’t get the Quinn thing either….

• Cindy says:

Have to agree with you on this.

• starry118 says:

Abby was endangering herself by getting involved with David’s investigation. Olivia made the hard choice to shut that down.Regarding the character development, I’d have to agree that the White House characters are more fleshed out and interesting…this has everything to do with the writing, which should be more balanced.

• james says:

It’s called being the star of the show. It’s not about Fitz; he’s a side character. Why cn’t people deal with strong, black women roles?

10. I think this is going to her liv in the long run. David was started to give up the chase but as soon as Abby left him. he picked it back up. Also Abby is stupid in cases of abusers they have more then one victim not just one. Plus why was the girl so easy to find and so willing to cough up this story of he pushed me down the stairs. Abby was being used and lied to by the one person she trusted. Which this something everybody has in common, they are all disturbingly loyal to her. They do what ever she says without question, which means she can lie to them, destroy their lives and they will just go along with it. That is stupidly in my book

• Amanda says:

No like Harrison told Quinn last season….you don’t question Olivia! Point blank, no exceptions! Abby was fully aware of the type of clients that Olivia sees and she knew coming in the door that there are some things they simple don’t need to know about. I’m sure Quinn was not the first criminal they’ve handled and Olivia has gotten off and she probably won’t be the last….In my eyes, Abby thought that with Steven gone, she would be elevated to the #2 spot and she got her feelings hurt, END OF STORY! But I see that being Harrison now. The moral to this storyline is….YOU DON’T QUESTION OLIVIA!

• Eli says:

Right, cause “Saint Olivia” can do no wrong…

• Daisy says:

It’s not that she can’t do wrong. She’s certainly no saint. She’s an anti-hero. She will do anything to get the job done. Whatever that job may be. She’s not always supposed to be likeable but she is supposed to maintain control at all times. And if you cross her, you’ll most likely pay for it.

• Amanda says:

I never said Olivia can’t do no wrong…what I said was Quinn isn’t the first CRIMINAL that has walked through the door! That Abby needs to learn her place and to NEVER QUESTION OLIVIA! It’ll be different if she was the new employee, but she isn’t so why does she care so much right now? Had she stayed outta it, this wouldn’t be happening

• Eli says:

Wow, you two would fit in well in early 1940s Germany… proper soldiers here.

I’m on team Abby here. Can’t wait for this whole mess to blow up in Olivia’s face.

• Susan says:

If you don’t like it then don’t watch. Olivia’s not a saint and the show has never made her out to be. I don’t watch the show hoping for a showdown of good vs. evil where good always triumphs, and that’s not what Scandal is about.

• Not team Abby. Abby is digging, not for the greater good, but because she’s nosy and butthurt that she hasn’t replaced Stephen as Liv’s confidant. She just wants to know. While, yes, in this episode I felt for Abby and the whole David situation (especially due to her past abuse), I’d rather have Abby and David upset than dead–which is what Hollis would make happen.

If Abby and David had just let it go–and go on with their lives (maybe w/o Olivia Pope in it if they can’t trust her), then there would be no issue.

I’m not calling for Abby to blindly follow, either. She could have been an adult and said “Liv, it’s weird here. I don’t know what’s going on. I told you before that I’d follow you over a cliff, but I can’t do it if I’m left in the dark. Please give me something.” Boom, done.

• Daisy says:

1940s Germany? Really? That is an absurd comparison. You do realize that this is a television show, right? I’m not saying that you are required to love Olivia, but dude, calm down. I’ll let you in on a secret: It’s not real.

• Eli says:

But that is exactly where the “follow orders blindly, ask no questions and know your place” attitude you and Amanda support so much would fit right in.
            And I’m well aware it’s a tv show, I’m not the one who is saying they wished Abby got killed. Frankly that sentiment should be a much more urgent one to say “calm down” to.

• Daisy says:

Maybe I’m just a little sensitive to being compared to a Nazi.

• starry118 says:

Seriously…Nazis? o.O Most companies have a non-disclosure clause, and very few employers will tolerate an employee speaking to them, and going behind their back, the way Abby has. That has nothing at all to do with Nazi Germany, and everything to do with respect and loyalty.

• Susan says:

This isn’t a case of non-disclosure and you seem to be missing Daisy’s point about Nazi. Abby isn’t telling her boyfriend company secrets, she’s helping him pursue his conspiracy theory against her boss.

• starry118 says:

There is a certain level of respect that is expected of employees, and there is nothing militant about it. I don’t know many people that act toward their boss the way Abby has towards Olivia, and still have a job. Certainly, nothing that has been discussed here about this fictional TV drama warrants a comparison to Hitler or Nazi Germany. Daisy called it right: “That comparison was absurd.”

Abby has been disclosing confidential information (which she knows, based on her working at Pope & Associates) to assist David in his investigation against Olivia. Assisting David in this effort against her boss (and “friend”), in itself, is disloyal…this is not a trait that many value in a professional or personal relationship.

• starry118 says:

…and would be grounds for termination of employment, and quite possibly, the friendship as well.

• Driver says:

Don’t be a hater Eli …. Olivia has to do what she do….This is the best ept so far….love Harrison
          So loyal…need to see more of his character. I’m glad Abby is back still don’t trust her though.

11. Karen B. says:

GREATTTTTTTTT EPISODE!!!!!! MORE PEOPLE NEED TO WATCH THIS SHOW! SO GOOD WEEK TO WEEK!

12. aciel says:

lets face it this show is boring without fitz

• Daisy says:

While I definitely would love more Fitz in the story lines, I think last night’s show was pretty good without him.

• Sue says:

I have enjoyed the Fitzless episodes. Love the Cyrus-Olivia reconnection. I still recall him calling her ‘president’s whore’ but maybe writers don’t plan that far ahead and have said something I think isn’t easily taken back. Loved Cyrus’ ‘the things I have to do’ comment. All would be grand if didn’t have to remember he ordered young Amanda’s death. I don’t want Olivia pining for Fitz but I don’t like return to Edison.

• Brown Stocking says:

thank you! I mean, he brought down serious wrath, called her a hore multiple times, and now they’re commiserating over a Bordeaux?

• Leslie says:

I miss Fitz as well.

13. Forwarddad says:

I love this show . Love Harrison. Don’t miss Fitz. Consider him weak.

14. Forwarddad says:

Also love that TVLINE recaps this show. Thanks.

15. Daniel says:

Olivia is horrible..doing that to Abby! I really hope she gets what is coming to her!

16. Angel says:

I seriously can’t stand Abby’s character. Yea Olivia screwed with her romance, but you have a girl who’s life was basically saved by Olivia, whom she shows no loyalty or trust for, and obviously feels like she needs to know all of Olivia’s secrets, going behind her back with “the enemy” digging into stuff that has nothing to do with her, instead of just trusting her friend to stay out of it. Olivia should have fired her.

17. Dawnmac says:

I am having a hard time with this show lately. I have never wanted a main character to take a fall like I do Olivia. I absolutely loath her character now and I don’t know how they come back from that. David is a good guy yet Olivia has no problem trying to distroy him. Quinn is extremely annoying and I was hoping someone would slap her when she babbled about a couch I her office. I think Harrison did not expect to feel remorse after what he did to Abby/David and I think he is the one that spills the beans to Abby.

• Eli says:

Exactly how I feel, Olivia is the bad guy in this story, but for some reason so many fans seem to think she is the good guy and David Rosen/Abby are the enemy/bad guy/etc that need to be destroyed, it seriously bothers me.

• thoughtsfromthecity says:

Amen. I really can’t stand her character anymore. I’m just waiting (hoping!) for her to fall

• I don’t see it as Olivia trying to destroy David. She told him in a past episode to stay out of it, because he could get hurt or killed. She stated to him that she was warning him as a friend. But David can’t leave well enough alone because he’s obsessively-analytic/nosy (whichever you prefer). Abby is only pushing the issue because she’s upset that Olivia won’t tell her everything, though Olivia has warned her that she can’t spill everything “now.” As someone previously stated, if Abby feels like she can’t just trust Olivia’s judgement, she doesn’t need to work for her anymore. Olivia’s not holding a gun to her head, making her work at OPA. Also, if Olivia’s the bad guy, Abby’s just as guilty, because she’s willing to turn on the woman who saved her life for some (apparently good) d*ckk. David’s not just trying to find out what’s going on, he wants to bring Olivia down. If Abby only wanted answers, she could find them on her own, instead of linking up in the “destroy Olivia” campaign.

• Grace says:

You’re right on. Olivia is not purposely trying to hurt David & Abby. She’s trying to SAVE their lives. Hollis is a pit bull on the loose. Liv is trying to get them out of the line of fire when Hollis starts his rampage.

• starry118 says:

@ Alison: Exactly…Abby has been on the “destroy Olivia” campaign for awhile now. She started out questioning her behind her back to the other associates, then to her face, and THEN with sharing confidential information with David Rosen of all people. There is nothing right or noble in how Abby has acted, and she is the one who needs to go down. I hope they don’t have her yelling at Olivia about this David Rosen deal, because I will be really pissed off…especially since the writers haven’t had Olivia deal with her about her disrespect.

18. sladewilson says:

Harrison went into Beast mode…

19. Jane says:

I am glad David and Abby broke up! Abby should be loyal to Olivia, she barely knows David! Liv had her back and never questioned anything but because Abby can’t know every deep dark secret she’s turning against her??? That’s low. Last season it was drilled in Quinn’s head you can’t question Olivia but Abby wants to? She needs to stop, it is annoying.

20. Genny says:

I’m so looking forward when Fitz will find out about Edison and Olivia!!! I don’t think I’m gonna survive at this 2 weeks hiatus!!!

21. Rachel says:

I really love Huck, and I’m kind of sad David & Abby ended like that. (As if they won’t figure it out, though, really?)

22. Lainie says:

One line — “The things I do…” Oh Cyrus, I just adore you… He & his husband are so cute (and a little scarey dangerous) together I get plotz — May they have their own show with a mischievous North Korean baby girl to make life fun. Totally addicted to Scandal!

23. Emilia says:

It’s not the same show without FITZ !hope two episodes witout him is enough and they will bring him back this week. I’m not even dreaming of Olivia/ Fitz scenes at this point but this show without him is missing something.

24. Becky says:

Everyone rooting for Olivia to fall, you don’t understand the complexities of the show. First off, everyone in OPA owes Olivia complete loyalty, because she is the boss, and she SAVED all their asses in one way or another. Abby needs to shut up and nut up; I can’t believe she would so easily discuss very sensitive information with David. If anything, it shows her to be a weak person who can’t handle the job she has. I’m not saying David’s a bad guy, but he’s not IN, it’s just a fact. Hating Olivia for not being a perfect person is ridiculous; no one is perfect, and she’s certainly shown that A) she has good intentions and B) it is her JOB to do what’s best for her clients. If Abby doesn’t like it, she can leave and be a “normal” like Steven chose to do. I prefer a show where it’s hard to love all the characters all the time. Otherwise, I don’t like Olivia with Eddison, he’s boring and he’s no Fitz (another complex character who is difficult to like sometimes). Huck breaks my heart; I just need him to be happy but it seems like he’s in some sort of downward spiral. I’m also reallllly enjoying Melly as time goes by. She’s got some darkness, but she also seems like a well-meaning person.

25. Zuri says:

Olivia could have informed the others of Abby/David’s relationship (and findings) but she didn’t, and by doing so, she may have saved both of their lives. Doyle is a monster (perhaps a bigger monster than Cyrus).

I’m over Olivia’s “bambi” pouts too..lol, but I still love this show!!

26. Just desire to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clarity in your post iss simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert onn this
    subject. Well with your permission let me to
    grab your feerd to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million aand please keep up the gratifying work.