Nashville Recap: A Total Score and a Minor Snore

Rayna gets wasted in this week’s episode of Nashville, and yet hers is still the storyline you could nap through and not miss a thing. (How is that even possible?) Meanwhile, Juliette courts a squeaky-clean QB, and the mayor’s race is about to get ugly. Let’s review the major developments in “You’re Gonna Change (or I’m Gonna Leave).”

COUGAR TOWN | When you’ve got a bad boyfriend, you’re always very aware of his mood – so when Avery’s feeling good about his band’s chances of opening for The Lumineers during their Nashville tour stop, Scarlett’s happy. And though Avery and his band’s Five Spot set includes a Doors-y song that (despite my hatred for his slick-headed self) is actually pretty awesome, they don’t get the gig. Avery is, however, approached by Marilyn Rhodes, an aggressive manager who claims she can hook him up with the right people to launch his career. She makes it clear, right from the get-go, that’s she’s a total cougar – though Scarlett seems shocked when Deacon has to spell it out for her: Marilyn likes her artists male, under 30, hot and willing to put in a little time in the sack. (Scar, honey? Please use your first royalty check to buy a clue.) Knowing full well what’s going to go down, Avery meets with Marilyn one night and macks a bit before pulling away and heading home to his lady… who’s packing her suitcase. She demands to know if he let Marilyn manage him, if you catch my drift. Avery’s protest is loud and long, and it makes Scarlett’s mind up for her. “When you tell the truth, I can’t get two words out of you,” she tells him angrily. “When you’re lyin’, you can’t shut up.” Ha!

Avery cops to going over to Marilyn’s with full knowledge of what she expected, but then tries to curry favor by pointing out that he bolted before the randy manager could unbuckle his belt. Yeah, we know you want credit, Avery, but the Bank of Scarlett is closed for the evening. The next morning, she shows up at Uncle Deacon’s with her bag and puffy eyes and asks if she can stay there for a while. My favorite part of this scene? The way Deacon just picks at his guitar and acts like this was a foregone conclusion the whole time. Because it was.

TEBOW MY GOODNESS | Juliette spends most of the episode bitching about all the things she has to do to boost her image – whatever happened to her promise to Glenn that she’d do anything it took to salvage the tour? Anyway, I don’t really care as long as Nashville keeps giving us moments like the one where a lemur dives into Hayden Panettiere’s hair like it’s a fluffy feather mattress. The animal photo op takes place at a zoo charity event hosted by a clean-livin’ NFL quarterback named Sean Butler, and soon Makena sets up a little date for the pair in the hopes that Sean’s saintly aura will rub off on her devilish client. (A moment, please, for a meeting of the Makena Admiration Society. She is awesome – possibly my favorite character in this whole shebang – because she brooks none of Juliette’s ridiculousness and returns her sass in equal measure. Let’s hope her client is taking a note or two.) Juliette and Tim Tebow Sean share a meal, during which she reams the Number 1 draft pick about his crappy record for the season. Then all of a sudden, she decides she likes him and they hop on her private jet for a jaunt to South Beach. (You might think that I condensed that for recap purposes, but no. The entire process takes about as long to happen as it did for you to just read that sentence.)

On the plane, Sean surprises JuJu (and me) by picking up her guitar and performing a few bars of her hit, “Love Like Mine.” She joins in with the harmonies and OK, it’s a little cute, though I was secretly hoping he’d come out with something supremely awful like Jerry O’Connell’s “Cush-lash” ditty from Jerry Maguire. They go to a Miami club that even my Nana would call totally average, but Sean thinks it’s a crazy scene. He’s wholesome, y’all! On the way out, though, a paparazzo appears and Juliette freaks out. Um, isn’t this situation the entire reason they’re hanging out? Sean pushes the guy, who falls but still manages to snap a few shots of the football player looking totally wasted (though he wasn’t). Juliette later buys the pics from the guy for $25,000, which stops them from hitting the media and earns her a proper ask-out from the earnest young athlete.

DRIVING WHILE COLEMAN | Lamar pulls a few strings to get Coleman pulled over for a traffic violation while on the way to a publicity event related to the mayoral campaign. But Teddy’s campaign gets an unexpected windfall of luck when the cops conduct a routine search of the car and find Jolene’s pills, which Deacon handed off to his sponsor in the previous episode. (Side note: Why didn’t Coleman flush those suckers right away? Seems odd.) Long story short: Teddy’s now got a much greater chance at winning the election… but he doesn’t know what we do: that the photographer that caught him and Peggy together was working for Coleman, who’s convinced that the two are carrying on an affair. Coleman doesn’t want to ruin Rayna and Teddy’s marriage, but his wife points out that he doesn’t owe that backstabbing family a darn thing.

WILD TURKEYS COULDN’T DRAG HER AWAY | Rayna and Bucky love her new jam, but Marshall at the record label does not. And after winning over a reluctant rock producer who initially calls her sound “moms and SUVs,” she shoots whiskey with him and records a track that… Marshall still hates. Anyone else feel like Connie Britton – who still manages to kill it as hungover Rayna realizes that she hasn’t made cupcakes for the “friggin’ fall festival” (ha!) at school – doesn’t have all that much to do in the show she headlines?

Now it’s your turn. Do you think Scarlett and Avery are done for good? Is another Deacon/Rayna break-up talk preferable to watching him clean out his gutters and sit on his porch?  And couldn’t the episode have used a smidge more Gunnar? Hit the comments and sound off!

1. Cheryl says:

Jonathan Jackson is such a fantastic actor, but so far they’ve given him crap to work with. They’d better do something to more favorably develop his character in the near future or I’ll be really pissed off. What they’re giving him right now is a waste of his talents.

• kavyn says:

I think they’re going to tear him down and bring him back up, right now they’re focusing on Scarlett but once her character is more independent they’ll focus on Avery’s climb to the top. I personally like Avery and I think he’s just an example of simply not catching that lucky break other artists got.

• Rain says:

I love this comment and I really hope you’re right. Avery’s actually one of my favorite characters and Jonathan Jackson is definitely my favorite actor on the show!

2. Tricia says:

I need more Gunnar and Scarlet. NEED. Also, I kind of hate the mayor storyline, it detracts from the rest of the characters that I actually care about.

3. I started with such high hopes for the show but each episode started to resemble the last pretty quickly. Rayna fights with Deacon and the calls him to talk two seconds later, then Teddy and Lammar and political shennanigans no one cares about. And Juliet screws up and has to fix it somehow. Scarlet walks around after Avery like a puppy that expects to be kicked any second, and is WAY surprised when he does kick her.

Same thing.Every single episode.

• Bee says:

uh.. this episode had almost none of those things. rayna and deacon had zero interaction here and she focused fully on her career. there was also focus on avery’s career. scarlett finally confronted and left him. and juliet didn’t misbehave, but got her new dude off the hook. anyway, great episode. loving this show more each week!

• Kirsten says:

I agree — UNTIL this week. That’s one of the big reasons I really liked this episode. Finally, not another Rayna/Deacon say goodbye scene. Finally, not another Scarlett takes her boyfriend’s garbage scene. Finally, Rayna actually does something on her own besides flitting between her husband and her ex-boyfriend. Finally, Juliet does something besides pout and call Deacon. I thought this episode actually showed some progress after several that felt like time-wasters — Rayna’s making her own decisions and her own album. Juliet might be growing up a bit. Scarlett dumped her stupid boyfriend, and even said stupid boyfriend appears to be taking some steps, albeit probably not the best ones, toward pushing his career, rather than just being used to stand around and glare at Scarlett and Gunnar. I’m optimistic that the show is going somewhere for once.

4. patty webb says:

I LOVE Rayna and Deacon; the actors have wonderful chemistry,and I’m intrigued by all their back storyline we haven’t heard yet. But, yes please, we don’t need need a break up talk each week.

And what IS the story with her marriage? She and Teddy seem more like pals. I’m starting to bet that Daddy dear had something to do with orchestrating it. Maybe Teddy needed money and a beautiful trophy wife; Rayna needed a safe, stable haven, after the turblence of a long relationship with an addicted lover. She discovers she’s pregnant with Deacon’s child, but, Deacon is in no position to be a Daddy, Teddy is there, she takes the safe choice?

• Amy says:

I agree. I don’t know if Lamar had something to do with orchestrating the marriage, or Teddy was an old family friend, and he was a convenient choice. We do need Rayna and Deacon to reconnect again soon. Their chemistry is great, and so palpable compared to the relationship between her and Teddy. I like that Juliette is developing into more than just a one-dimensional character too.

5. astrid says:

I really like Juliette developing into this direction. The squeaky-clean QB is adorable. I really did not like her hooking up with Deacon, though I really dig them as friends

6. Luli303 says:

Liked the new direction for Juliette. Deacon seems a little left out in the cold and I wonder what is going to happen with him. The next episode looks great!

7. Natty Cash says:

I LOOOVEEEE Rayne. please explain why you think she is blah. I think the show would be blah without her!

8. Josh says:

I liked Rayna’s storyline…It wasn’t soapy and focused on the career and slowly setting up her new career. It was a needed storyline. Next week seems to be heavily Rayna/Juliette focused, while this week it was more Juliette and a couple weeks ago it was more Rayna.

9. Jan says:

If there is not more Rayna/Deacon interaction, I won’t watch anymore. Their love story and some of the songs are the only draw.

10. Antonio says:

This show is boring!..Hayden is the ONLY reason why im still tuning in.

11. Ana says:

I didn’t expect to .like this show as much as I do. And I’m particularly loving Scarlett and the other young singer. I know I will be a minority in this Connie Britton appreciation post but she’s actually the one person that I cannot buy as a singer. Imo, she’s looks out of place with a mike in her hand. It always looks like she’s lip synching or lip singing, whatever the term is. I mean, she’s phenomenal in all the dramatic stuff but I just don’t buy her as a singer. Hayden is not a whole lot better but she amps up the sexy to cover up for it. Anywho, I’m still loving this show. Excellently done by ABC.

• LAR says:

I totally agree about Rayna I thought she looked so awkward in the “video” she made that she loved so much. And I wish they would have gotten a real country music singer to sing for her. Hayden’s voice is ok, but Rayna’s voice is not strong enough for her to be the country star she is supposed to be. I want to hear more Scarlett and Gunnar songs, because their acting is terrible, but their music makes up for it.

12. LJW says:

I actually liked the QB. I hope he sticks around.

Nice to see Michiel Huisman!

13. Josh says:

Actually, Marshal liked the first cut of ‘Buried Under’, and told Reyna to find a producer to refine it. After working with the rock producer, Reyna showed him the newly produced song – which Marshal really liked. However, his record label does not work with the producer of the track, and he get’s mad.

14. Kim12 says:

What was the deal with the voice over describing everyone’s moves? And why is no one mentioning it here?