Blind Item: Someone's Got a Bun in the Oven — and We're (Kinda) Naming Names!

This isn’t so much a blind item as it is, say, a far-sighted one. But, before I explain why, let me give you your clues:

* As the headline on this story foretells, a certain female character is about to be paid a visit by the stork. (Her delicate condition will be revealed on air sometime in the next three months.) What the headline doesn’t hint at, however, is that the gal in question is a lead on an established series (i.e., more than a season old).

SPOILERS | Scoop on Scandal, Mad Men, Vampire Diaries, Parenthood and More in Ask Ausiello!

* When Madame X finds out that she’s with child, she’ll be — understatement alert! — shocked. Fans of the show, by contrast, will likely love the plot twist.

Now, as for the “far-sighted” element of this “blind” item: The mystery woman is one of the 13 suspects included in the gallery below. So, before your hit the comments, take a look and hedge your bets!

1. Tarah Zarrabi says:

addison they already showed a pic there getting married

2. Jessica says:

I think it’s either going to be Meredith, or Fiona. Maybe Kate, but I think it’s too early in their relationship for that. Another season or two. Maybe Olivia. I highly doubt it’s gonna be Rachel. I think they would lose viewers for that and fans wouldn’t be happy. I think it would most likely be Meredith or Fiona, cause fans would be very delighted with either one.

3. My vote is for Meredith of Grey’s. She was given a less than likely chance of ever getting pregnant again after her miscarriage. I hope it is not Rachael…too many good things ahead for her to change her life so drastically. Kate Beckett is not ready for that step and will definitely get married before enlarging Castle’s brood.

4. Ben says:

I would hate it if Carrie were pregnant on Homeland.

5. Kristen says:

I want it to be Kate, but maybe in at least a year. Logically, I think it’ll be Meredith.

6. Amy says:

Meredith, Addison, or Robin best fit the SHOCKED part of the blind item since all were told they can’t have kids or it would be difficult. As for fans being pleased that is subjective but could be Addison, Olivia, Meredith, Leslie, Penny or maybe Kate or Zoe. That combined with the reveal being within the next 3 months (and not May sweeps) makes me think it could be a show ending soon or with a small episode order. That would be Addison, Serena, Fiona, or Olivia. With all of this taken into account I’d hedge my bets on either Meredith or with a slight advantage Addison. It seems like a fitting way to end the series about a woman whose whole move to Oceanside revolved around trying to get pregnant (plus she just adopted a kid so of course NOW she’d get pregnant).

I’m open to any twist as long as it is NOT Robin or Alicia.

7. Leah says:

First I thought Leslie but then I changed my mind. I don’t think major Parks spoilers ever get out, do they? Then, I thought Alicia, but no one would be happy about that. Not Robin because Future Ted told us she doesn’t have kids. Not Beckett because it is wayyyy to early. Won’t they have to break up Castle and Beckett a few times before the series ends?

My final guess is either Penny or Meredith. (Keep in mind I don’t typically watch those show, though.)

• Lydia says:

“Won’t they have to break up Castle and Beckett a few times before the series ends? ”

Pretty sure Marlowe’s not planning on doing that, THANK GOODNESS. I think they might have a rough patch or two but will weather them together.

8. MSMIT says:

Serena-Gossip Girl, Meredith-Greys, or Robin-HIMYM

9. Blair. Thought it was established that Chair was going to live happily ever after or something like that. Yeah not a huge fan of gg anymore but that seems like the most obvious route with the given clues.

10. Line says:

oh my god, please please Leslie Knope *-*

11. Melissa says:

All my money goes to Meredith. I think there’s the juicy storyline Shonda tweeted about, and fans would absolutely love that FOR SURE. Plus, I think that would give Derek a new motivation to fight and be happy despite his hand’s condition (added to Mer & Zola, of course) Finally, MerDer will get their dream come true: they’re married, living in their McHouse, with Zola, both succesful surgeons, this baby will complete their happiness. Finally, a McBaby. GO MER!!!

12. It could very well be Olivia.
    Robin: It makes a lot of sense.
    Serena: Gossip Girl won’t even be on the air in three months.
    Addison: Maybe.

• alice says:

It in no way makes sense for Robin to have a child if you’ve ever watched the show. Or read the numerous comments on this site explaining why it makes no sense even beyond that.

13. Nicole says:

I think can cross two names off the list. Claire Danes is pregnant and it was said by her and show writers that her pregnancy was not being written into the show. Also it is not Robin either because it is said when Ted is doing the voice overs that Aunt Robin did not have any kids of her own.

I hope it is not Beckett on Castle it would be too soon. They just got together after 4 years hope the writers don’t rush things along like they did with Bones. In my opinion Bones got kind of boring when she was pregnant and now with Booth and Bones having the kid.

14. talaj612@gmail.com says:

Hannah in Dexter lol!

15. Mancha says:

I’m going to pick Olivia, just because it’s Fringe and I think maybe if they do go that route, I think it’ll be a reset to Etta again, or another baby to start over, not replacing Etta of course…

My bets on Olivia.

16. James says:

I Highly doubt its Kate, i would be utterly shocked if it were, marlowe isn’t affraid to pull the trigger on big plot arcs i think but thats pushing it (out of the realm of possibilty). I would think it very interesting if Penny were, i’m sure it would be hilarious. could you imagine Sheldon babysitting. my guess though is its Feona from what JD has been teasing it sounds likely.

17. Carda says:

It can’t be Serena, GG won’t be on for another 3 months. I somehow guess it’ll be Robin but I don’t watch most of the other shows so dunno!

18. Sabrina says:

I think it’s Meredith. It can’t be Carrie as she actually has a belly double for the later episodes of the show . Also, the writers have said that they would not be writing her pregnancy into the show.

19. zxc123 says:

Please let it be Meredith. It fits perfectly. Moreover, I am a fan of most of these show and I won’t love Alicia’s pregnancy, Carrie’s pregnancy, Kate’s pregnancy, Penny’s pregnancy or Zoe’s pregnancy.

20. HannahNotMontana says:

Definitely either Robin or Meredith. Both experienced infertility issues, and I think fans of both shows would be happy with the plot twist. And to all those who say “Robin never has kids,” those crazy HIMYM writers could totally get away with saying “Well, she just didn’t have THOSE kids.” And she was talking to them right after she finds out that she can’t have kids, not at the same time future Ted (AKA Bob Saget) would be talking to his kids. Either way, I would be a happy camper.

• alice says:

If you can point to a SINGLE time in the history of HIMYM that the creators lied or made a canon decision that completely defied the logic of what has already been presented on screen, I would consider believing you. But I would also pay you $50,000,000,000,000,000 if you can actually point to anything that would fit that criteria.

• Jen says:

Welllllll…technically, the creators DID lie one time about the B/R endgame. After Barney and Robin broke up the first time, Craig & Carter said that they were unhappy with the couple, hated that they “had” to put them together, and were never going to return to it. Now, though, they admit that they said it to throw people off the fact they were actually planning their wedding at the same time.

But I totally get what you’re saying and agree that in the case of Robin, it would make ABSOLUTELY no sense to have her be able to become pregnant, after it was confirmed multiple times that it has no room in canon. The fans who believe that the creators like to be “tricky” — other than the above example — simply are not paying attention or are delusional Ted/Robin shippers.

(I will still take the $50 gazillion dollars though! :D)

21. Emily says:

no way on earth it’s carrie’s highly highly unlikely that its rachel’s, Kate’s or alica’s (like who would the father be?), maybe maybe it’s oliva’s, but I doubt it, I think its going to be someone from a sitcom

22. Lilyg says:

I bet on April Kepner in Grey’s Anatomy

23. GreysFan says:

I have a feeling that it is Meredith. For a while now, I see that as being one of the ways that Meredith and Derek’s story can progress, without having them revert back in terms of the progress they have made as a couple. Plus, it would be refreshing !

24. corina says:

its way too soon for zoe and beckett. addison and meredith would seem too cliche. i could see penny on TBBT since the shows story line has been moving a little slow lately they might add that bit of a twist to mix things up. also leslie cause it seems like a right move after all this time.

25. I would like it to be Kate, it’d be very interesting to watch that happen. And it definitely couldn’t be Rachel but that would be funny what with the Lea being pregnant rumor that went around.

26. This totally has Shondaland written all over it, there is a sweet moment coming in episode 7 that Shonda tweeted about and the sides for episode 9 suggest a high risk pregnancy in Greys.
    So at this current moment my guesses are
    1. Meredith and Derek
    2. Addison and Jake
    While Homeland is feasible option as well with Claire being preggers for real’s the producers have sort of stated not gonna happen but wouldn’t put it past them.

27. Go Mer! I so hope it’s her.

28. ingmarhappy says:

To be honest it could be any one of them, lol. We could maybe rule out Kate from Castle, and the comedy ladies ( since I think it’s a drama show – explains the word ”plot twist” ). Carrie ( Homeland ) would be a good plot twist but I don’t think the fans would like it, and I don’t think Carrie herself would like it. We know that Addison and Meredith both love children so my guts are telling me it’s one of them. BUT the other options are very likely aswell. Alicia ( Good Wife ) was the first one that came to mind, but she’s quite old already and I don’t think it would be good for the show. I think she’ll receive a promotion, not a pregnancy. We’ll see!

29. Maria says:

Oh please don’t let it be Beckett. That would ruin everything.

30. sally says:

If it’s Fiona’s horomones that are about to spike, someone better hide the C4.

31. alki says:

It’s Carrie and Saul’s the father.

32. Mark says:

A far-sighted one? It’s Blair.

• brend says:

Actually, that would be kind of clever because technically there is a picture of Blair in the gallery.

But as someone else said, Ausiello would only be happy about it if it was a Dan/Blair baby…and that’s just not going to happen.

33. Christian says:

Alicia is peegnant and will have an abortion and it will be used against Peter in the campaign. The Good Wife likes to push the envelope and abortion is an issue very few broadcast series touch!

34. tara17 says:

My vote is for Leslie Knope, that would be awesome. Would enjoy Penny or Robin, but highly unlikely – especially Robin.

• brend says:

I just wonder if Leslie would be all that shocking? I feel like it would be very similar to when Pam found out she was pregnant on The Office. Sweet, but not an OMG!! moment at all. At least, not for me!

35. Shelby says:

IF IT’S BECKETT I MIGHT DIE!!!!!

36. Nikki says:

I think it’s Penny. And this should be fun!!!!!!!!! :)

37. aiza11 says:

Ausiello: I have it on semi-good authority that when the new year rolls around McBabyBlues will be schtupping someone whose name is not April — leading me to believe the on-again/off-again colleagues will be off again.

McBabyBlues = McDreamy’s baby. So I think it’s Meredith.

38. lauren says:

If only Olivia Benson was on the list…

39. Chance says:

Rachel or Carrie.

40. sarah says:

I say Robin. Yes her doctors said she could not get pregnant but in rare cases woman have gotten pregnant who were told they could not!

• Jen says:

It’s not only that the doctors said she could not get pregnant, but that Ted in thirty years also said that she never becomes a mother. It is a canon fact that Robin never has children, so there is no way that it’s her.

41. cas says:

I love Penny and Leonard. I wish they would just live happily ever after already. It would be hilarious if it was Penny too.

42. Irena Gallo says:

well, we know that CLaire Danes is pregnant in real life. But I thought they already said that her pregnancy would NOT be written into homeland. If it were, that would be a big “WOW!” indeed. As for the others, don’t know and don’t really see me being happy one of them is pregnant on show for their character.

43. Callie says:

I would say Addison, Meredith, or Robin. Why? Bc all 3 were told that they couldn’t or that it was close to impossible to get pregnant so that would be a (eye-rolling) “shock”.

44. chloe says:

could you image how SHELDON would react if penny was pregnant? forget leonard & penny’s reactions, sheldon’s would be hysterical!

45. bollie dolly says:

To add onto everyone’s thoughts that Robin might be the one pregnany …you realize if that does happen it will most likely be BARNEY’S baby, right? not ted’s? so it would make it even less likely that she’s the mother and it seems like a lot people are clinging to this (really dumb) hope that she somehow can be.

46. Rachel says:

Andy and April should have a kid

47. Abby says:

Uh-oh. Definitely not Kate Beckett!

My money is on Meredith.

48. Fran says:

Fiona from burn notice!!! Total shocker :)

49. mattyc says:

It’s either going to be Meredith, Addison or Leslie. Those are the only three that make sense to me. And all I can say is that Julianna Margulies is far too old to be having a child, so that rules out Alicia.