Blind Item: Someone's Got a Bun in the Oven — and We're (Kinda) Naming Names!

This isn’t so much a blind item as it is, say, a far-sighted one. But, before I explain why, let me give you your clues:

* As the headline on this story foretells, a certain female character is about to be paid a visit by the stork. (Her delicate condition will be revealed on air sometime in the next three months.) What the headline doesn’t hint at, however, is that the gal in question is a lead on an established series (i.e., more than a season old).

SPOILERS | Scoop on Scandal, Mad Men, Vampire Diaries, Parenthood and More in Ask Ausiello!

* When Madame X finds out that she’s with child, she’ll be — understatement alert! — shocked. Fans of the show, by contrast, will likely love the plot twist.

Now, as for the “far-sighted” element of this “blind” item: The mystery woman is one of the 13 suspects included in the gallery below. So, before your hit the comments, take a look and hedge your bets!

1. sk murshed alam says:

big bang theory will reach a new level of comedy id PENNY gets pregnent… penny would be a terrible mom

2. Erika says:

Penny – would definitely be shocked and the fans might love the plot. The idea of Penny being pregnant besides being a funny plot it also give the opportunity for Penny’s character to grow up. But a child might ruin the show.
    Kate – would definitely be shocked and fans might love the plot. I love the idea of a Caskett baby but it’s too soon. The couple needs to be given a good run at least 2 or 3 seasons as a couple before having children.
    Alicia – would definitely be shocked but not really sure if fans will love the plot. I haven’t caught up with this season so I’m not sure what is going on. I’m not really sure what I feel about her being pregnant and who will be the father.
    Meredith – would be shocked but just for a bit I think mostly happy that she is able to have children after all she went through and it will be great for the fans.
    Zoe – too soon and in my opinion not a good plot twist at this point in the storyline
    Carrie – Like the idea that will give the storyline a great twist
    Robin – NOPE, she doesn’t want kids and cannot have kids

3. Liz says:

The spoiler says ‘within 3 months’ so I’m doubting Blair or Olivia b/c their shows are ending. Probably same with Fiona b/c BN probably won’t be on in 3 months, since they have such short seasons. Maybe Fiona, but I don’t know.

Alicia wouldn’t be very exciting, more confusing, same as Penny. In both cases it’s forcing a relationship that will annoy viewers (or at least annoy me).

I’m guessing (and hoping) for Meredith since that makes the most sense.

4. Lilyrose says:

It can’t be Addison, the show will be over in 3 months.

5. Babybop says:

Oh please not Penny. That would majorly be jumping the shark.

6. Mik says:

Carrie from Homeland being pregnant with Brody’s child would be kind of wild! I hope it’s not Alicia Florrick. Her two teenagers is all I can handle for now. Not that I hate them, but….two is enough.

7. Amanda says:

Meredith is NOT infertile. She has never been infertile! A hostile uterus does not mean she’s infertile!

With that being said, given the slides we have seen showing a pregnant character on Grey’s and a recent tweet from Shonda, I have my money on Mer! It’s shocking to me and all fans at this point and we certainly would be happy about it!

Meredith!!!

8. Kassandra says:

I doubt it is going to Beckett; We all know that Marlowe wouldn’t do that with the character. Since they just got together Marlowe is going to take the time to develop the relationship to a point where it is believable and actually would make sense for her to get pregnant. It took them 4 seasons to get together; and as a writer Marlowe is king at hashing out his characters and their development to be believable and accurate. I wouldn’t put it past Shonda Rhimes to knock Meredith up, though. Just seems like something she would do.

9. lei says:

The one character I tought owuld surely have a kind by the season/series finale was Blair of GG.. But not in the list.

Of the shows I watch I’d go with Meredith too.. Penny with a baby would be kinda shocking and would change the dinamic of the show too much. And Beckett is not there yet..

Really surprised that no Castle fan wants Castle babies.. especially after the whole “you want more kids?”…

• TM says:

Lots of Castle fans want Castle babies. They just don’t want them right now. And it makes sense. Castle and Beckett have such a fun relationship right now that there’s no need for a twist to shake it up. A couple seasons down the line, if Castle’s still on air (hope it is), would be a better time, since they would have had time to get used to each other more…

10. Rob J. says:

My guess: All of them. Pregnancy would be a great complication on all of these series, especially . . . all of them. Beckett and Caskett having a baby at some point seems to me to be both inevitable and one more thing for Marlowe & Co. to defy about the Moonlighting Curse. If not this season, then next.

Actually, though, based on story structure alone, my guess — and I’m fairly confident about it (above 80% sure) because it first occurred to me during the season premiere — is Meredith on Grey’s Anatomy. The fact that the season began with the two-parter dealing with Mark’s death and the aftermath of the plane crash that had only initially taken Lexie’s life makes me think that the *only* credible place that the show could be headed is for Meredith to finally, after having given up on the possibility two years ago when she and Derek started the process to adopt Zola, get pregnant. Last week’s subplot of her having to learn how to juggle a surgical crisis with a parenting crisis, having to start to find the right balance between work life and home life, fits into this theory for me as the next step in the development of the overall arc of Meredith growing into her role as a *much* better parent for Zola and however many more children she and Derek have through whatever means.

IMO, if there’s more than one pregnancy among the listed bunch of shows, the real question is which show or shows *in addition to* Grey’s is/are it going to be?

11. KennyA says:

First thought was Addison!

12. Max says:

It’ll be Rachel thus ending the NY side at the end of this year and Finn and Rachel’s storyline arc. Leaving the newbies to take over for next season.

13. Kayla says:

I can’t imagine fans being happy about Alicia or Carrie. And consider this: neither character getting preggers would be remotely organic to the story. Homeland is about shocking plot twists, but serious ones, not soapy ones. I don’t think Alicia would be pregnant either. In her situation she’s probably already had her tubes tied. There have been plenty of details about her kids but it’s clear that the story is now about getting some more control in her life after it was totally derailed.

The writers of both shows are intelligent and about keeping these shows going in a set direction. And I think they would know that a pregnancy storyline would completely throw a Best Drama Emmy nom possibility out the window.

14. Hoping it’s not Kate or Alicia.
    Will be over the moon if turns out be Olivia or Leslie, truly shocked if it’s Penny, but Meredith seems most likely and I’d be happy about that.

15. Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres says:

Could be Callie Torres from Grey’s maybe her n Arizona decided to go for it before the plane crash happened n Callie will like acting all pregnant?

16. doug says:

Well, since Pauley Perrette sure looked like she’s ACTUALLY pregnant on last night’s NCIS, I vote for a curveball from your gallery!

17. Gotta be Mer. best way to get pregnant is to adopt, isn’t it? ;)

18. Becks says:

The saying fans will love the twist makes me think Parks and Rec, because I can’t see anyone being disappointed by Leslie and Ben having a kid. It can’t be Robin since they’ve already established that she doesn’t have kids. Way too soon for Kate (though sometime in the next couple seasons that would be amazing!) I don’t think fans would universally love it if it was Alicia, Penny, Rachel, Addison, or Meredith. And I don’t watch the others so it could just be one of them :)

19. Hyde says:

so basically it could be any female lead on every poplar show on tv, LOL… some hint! J/K

20. Dennis Crank says:

Burn Notice with a baby, has to be, because smurf boy never talks about this show, so he would not even know about this caracter unless she is the one.

21. Erica S says:

It would be a true shock for Addison,Meredith,and Robin because they have all been told it would be hard if not impossible to have a child. That being said would love if it was Penny or Beckett

22. dc says:

Its the Good Wife…

23. Addie says:

My money’s on Meredith. I even saw spoilers about a someone being at the OB-GYN and it being mentioned about it being a high-risk pregnancy (which Mere’s would be)

24. Tasha says:

I really hope it is Leslie from Parks and Rec. It will be too wonderful for words. But I have to wonder why Olivia Pope is not on the list. Olivia getting pregnant would turn the show upside down.

25. Megan S says:

Big twist if MORE than one of these characters is pregnant…. And Ausellio just didn’t know =p

Too late for Addy I would say and Robin is supposed to be infertile… Rachel isn’t sleeping with anyone…. Not all fans would be happy with a wade/Zoe baby…. Didn’t Olivia’s child just die in fringe?? Isn’t that maybe a bit like replacement?? Alicia… I wold LOVE a will/Alicia baby!!!! I miss them as a couple =( Way too early for a Caskett baby…. Meredith adopted but never say never…

My bet is on penny BBT, means Leonard can tie her on down and would be hilarious to see group reactions to it and change dynamic

26. Alicia L. says:

I want it to be Meredith so that she and Derek can name the child after either Lexie or Mark as a way to honor one of them. Considering Mark was the closest thing Derek hd to a brother.

27. Megan S says:

Ooh Serena in GG??? We saw a photo of a child on GG set and everyone thought “chair ” baby..l what if it’s a. “derena” baby???

28. Nikos says:

The second I saw this before I saw the list I thought straight away, Zoe from Hart of Dixie, the whole thing would fall into place nicely, a one night stand with George, then a ‘whos the babydaddy’ situation.

But then after the list im 100% sure its Meredith Grey, as it was something that was going to happen at some stage.

29. Rita says:

I think it has to be Meredith from Greys because (a) it would be a shock to her to get pregnant because she’s been told she has a “hostile uterus” and (b) I saw a spoiler somewhere that someone on Grey’s will a surprise pregnancy.

30. b says:

It’s Blair both she and Serena are in the picture and after she fainted before her fashion show I thought and said she’s pregnant

31. marge says:

Meredith Grey, Grey’s Anatomy.

32. Patricia says:

I think and really hope it’s Fiona from Burn Notice. I think this would make an EXCELLENT and exciting plot twist for the show. Plus, who wouldn’t want Sam Axe as godfather to your child!

33. Heather says:

I am calling it to be Sarah from Parenthood! In the Ask Ausiello from yesterday he states that someone on the show is getting Pregnant… so that 100% gives it away! It could be Julia also… Either would be an interesting story.

34. Callie says:

As much as I want to see Caskett babies, it’s way too early in their relationship for Beckett to be pregnant—in the television world at least. I won’t say it would RUIN the show, but it would change the whole dynamic and after waiting as long as they did for Rick & Kate to get together, I can’t see Markowe making that choice so soon.

I hope it’s either Leslie or Olivia. :-)

35. Therese says:

it’s Meredith!!

36. Flavs Paradise says:

I hope it is not Beckett. it is too early for Caskett!

37. I don’t really know how I feel about this, but they did hint on the castle scifi episode that Rick wanted to have more kids. Why else would the have him say that?

38. Melinda says:

I totally want to see Fiona on Burn Notice pregnant! Ha Ha can just see a gun totin pregnant Fiona driving Michael insane -she would be more crazy than ever and it would change the dynamic of the show a little and give them some more human emotions to contend with…and give Michael’s mum the chance to play grandma!

39. Tiera says:

I know it’s not Robin; and I’m pretty sure Olivia is far to busy trying to, I don’t know, save the world to even have alone time with Peter.

40. M says:

I’m down to three people, and right now the only ones that I can see that will be “shocked” by the pregnancy will be

– Meredith
    – Kate
    – Olivia

41. Shar says:

I think it could be Penny, Blair, Serena, any Grey’s female character but I don’t think it’s Robin yes I wouldlo it to b her but she doesn’t have kids meaning she would never become a polvaulter. It’s not nice to screw with my emotions right now cause I’m still on a high after Monday’s HIMYM epsode.

42. Carrie in Homeland because Claire Danes is pregnant in real life.

43. vdofan says:

They show Alicia on TGW drinking far to often for me to want it to be her.

44. dkumd says:

i expected to see cristina from grey’s in the gallery. but alas. i will then go with either penny, addison or robin.

45. Tom Charles says:

Damn, at first I was thinking it was gonna be good old Liz Lemon, but I see she’s not in the running. Robin I would think would be out because Ted said she never did become a pole vaulter so………………….I’m hopping for Penny

46. Na says:

It would make me happy if it was Olivia but only if it was revealed in the last episode or close to the end when they have beaten the Observers and can finally be happy again a make a new start. No child could replace Etta but at least they would have a second chance to be a family without the threat of the Observers hanging over their heads.

47. tahina says:

Alicia? It’s weird about this came a day after Michael mentioning a P for Alicia.
    ^.^

48. inspired37 says:

i really hope its not leslie. i think the majority of hardcore parks fans wouldn’t be happy about that. especially because of how much it sucked with jim and pam on the office. also, amy poehler herself was already pregnant on the show in real life with one of her sons. its a happy show but i don’t see any need for a baby. there’s already so much going on with other surprises and events and such.

49. OzDebP says:

Can’t see Marlowe have Caskett deal with a baby yet, the relationship is too new, would really spoil things I think.
    I don’t watch all the shows, but I could see it working in Fringe or Burn Notice. I would really like to see the serious ending with Michael walking away from the spy business to raise a family with Fi, would be great

50. Theresa says:

I find it EXTREMELY unlikely to be Rachel from Glee or Penny from Big Bang Theory (would push her relationship with Leonard too far and cause her to panic and split, I think). Also, they said on HIMYM that Robin would never have children, so it’s not her.