American Horror Story: Asylum Recap: Out of the Frying Pan and Into...?

Since this week’s American Horror Story: Asylum is the second half of the “I Am Anne Frank” two-parter, you kind of go into the hour expecting that story to be resolved somehow. (And it does get resolved — and how!) But what you don’t necessarily expect is that not one but two major characters leave Briarcliff — presumably for good! — and we learn the identity of Bloody Face. And that’s just for starters!

RELATED | Sarah Paulson Reacts to Asylum‘s Bloody Face Reveal, Confirms That Things Will Get ‘Worse’ For Lana

SISTER CHRISTIAN | The episode opens with Sister Jude recruiting a Nazi hunter to help her expose Dr. Arden. But, since at that very moment Sister Mary Eunice is hiding what’s become of Shelley and “Anne” is being disarmed, her plan is doomed before it’s even gotten underway. Worse, “Anne’s” husband soon shows up at the loony bin and explains that a) her name is actually Charlotte, and b) she became obsessed with Anne shortly after giving birth to their son. (Classic postpartum psychosis, says Dr. Thredson without being asked.) In light of this new information, Sister Jude calls off her Nazi hunter and sends Charlotte home to her family — a big mistake, it turns out, as it gives Dr. Arden ammunition to press charges not against the disturbed new mother but against his nemesis!

DOCTOR, DOCTOR | Catching Dr. Arden with his pants down — changing the bandage on his wounded leg, I hasten to note — Sister Mary Eunice apologizes for coming on to him and suggests that, once Sister Jude is out of the way, he’ll be put in charge… and will need a right-hand nun that he can trust. Like, say, her! Later, the mad scientist is all but invited to exact his revenge against Charlotte when her husband brings her back to the nuthouse even crazier than before. His “solution” to her problem? Lobotomy, of course! (Ironically, when we see her post-Stepfording, dismantling her shrine to Anne, among the photos she’s discarding is one of Hitler… with Dr. Arden right behind him!)

MAD WORLD | Though Kit is spared from sterilization and sprung from solitary, Grace isn’t so lucky: Not only does she (as far as we can tell) undergo the procedure, she’s also abducted by aliens and, on their ship (?!), introduced to Kit’s “dead” wife, Alma. Meanwhile, in order for Dr. Thredson to save him from the electric chair, Kit confesses on tape that he is the Bloody Face killer. Unfortunately for him, Dr. Thredson is actually not an ally at all — a point driven home when the cops show up and haul Kit off to prison and what seems like his inevitable execution!

MANEATER | When Sister Jude learns that, on top of Dr. Arden’s determination to press charges against her, Lana has gone missing (more on that in a second!), she finally accepts, once and for all, that her goose is cooked. (Her words.) Defeated, she recalls a heartbreaking childhood incident in which her mother cruelly told her, “God always answers our prayers, Judy; it’s just rarely the answer we’re looking for.” Then she doffs her habit, paints her lips a familiar shade of harlot red and goes to bed with the first stranger who asks, “What’s your poison, sweetheart?”

CRAZY FOR YOU | Amazingly, Dr. Thredson manages to walk out of Briarcliff with Lana in tow. But, as soon as they reach his home, we get a sense that something is amiss. He says all the right things — that together, they’re going shut down Briarcliff, etc. But it doesn’t feel right. Why? We find out when Lana, feeling as uneasy as we do, looks for a way out and instead stumbles onto a room straight out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. “You make furniture,” she says hopefully upon being caught. “What kind of material do you use?” Sadly, we know the answer to that question even before he — the real Bloody Face! — sends her plummeting through a trap door. In the basement, Dr. Thredson slips on a mask made of stitched-together skin and Lana’s late lover’s teeth, and tells her that now they can continue her aversion therapy… !

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Were you surprised that Dr. Thredson is Bloody Face? How awesome/gruesome was it when Shelley resurfaced and scared the bejesus out of all those schoolkids? And don’t you think that Jessica Lange’s big monologue pretty much guarantees her a second AHS Emmy? Comment away below!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Kelli says:

This is such a terrible show, but I am hooked because Jessica Lange is INCREDIBLE.

2. Rrrrrr says:

I have to say, even though this season started off sketchy, these past two episodes have been awesome, and next week looks great too. The alien parts still stinks, but I’m able to l

• Rrrrrr says:

*able to l

• Rrrrrr says:

Okay so for some reason my iPhone keeps submitting my comments prematurely. What I meant to say was “The alien parts still stink, but I’m able to live with them now,” lol.

• I’m loving these past two episodes – the Anne Frank story line is awesome. I just wish the alien storyline had a bit more bite? or something. I think that the way they are trying to make it a mystery is keeping me from being invested in it… hopefully it picks up because the rest is rockin’!

3. Matt says:

Did not see Dr.Thredson being Bloody Face at all. Well played AHS writers. I hope they continue to move this story at a fast pace.

4. Moe says:

I knew it was him! He was way too creepy and psychotic seeming. And he just conveniently knew that something had happened to Lana’s lover. Yea, right! I just hate that all of the semi good guys got beat down tonight. It’s kind of a super depressing show this season.

5. Jesse says:

This is the most disturbing television show I’ve ever seen — and yet I can’t stop watching. I’d like someone to have a happy ending, but it doesn’t seem in the cards for anyone on this show. Poor Lana!

6. I’ve gotta say, I saw Dr. Thredson coming since Nor’Easter but I like how they did it. Very cool. Overall though, I don’t know what kind of crack Ryan Murphy was smoking because that was not the best episode yet. It was “meh” and not nearly as good as the three episodes before it.

• Knight says:

I don’t know. I think it was the best episode this season, followed closely by the exorcism episode (which was genuinely scary). I’m so excited to see if they can keep up the pace for the rest of the season, because that would be spectacular.

7. JennaD says:

Thredson was the most obvious choice, just like Tate was last year. Both very uninspired choices creatively. I’m not impressed. Wish they didn’t let Brad Falchuck & Ryan Murphy write any eps…or play them back to back. It’s rough. They’re always the worst ones. I wish they could have also learned from last year’s failings to make S2 better. Too many random plots. Like life in a barbaric 1960s asylum wasn’t enough? We need man-made mutants, time travelling serial killers, aliens, demonic possession, & implausible Anne Franks…like wtf? And not in a fun way.

• Castiel says:

I don’t think. I mean, i really believe he is a good man, and just start to think that, maybe, he doesn’t when he stopped the call phone of Lana.

8. Castiel says:

The title of this season should be ”AHS: Hell”. I mean, there is ANY good man in that damn Asylum?

One doctor is a nazi-crazy-bastard, one sister is a crazy fanatic/prostitute, one doctor is a serial-killer, one mouseinor its seems to be another nazy-bastard and the another sister has a demon inside her body. And, of course, there’s ETs around the place.

The patients are so f*ckedup!

9. English says:

Zachary Quinto is gonna kill it as Bloody Face!! The nutmeg comment in the preview has me excited (is it wrong to be excited?) to see the next episode!!!

10. octopus says:

I think what’s scarier is that, even with its horrible scripts, Glee is still sticking around

11. lettuce says:

I am watching it again, i still cant believe Dr. Thredson is Bloody Face but I just cant wait to see that play out. Someone mentioned that perhaps Dr. Thredaon was one of the twins that Dr. Gruper saved. Bloody face could hav ebeen trained by a Nazi. I doubt they are completely unrelated. Also, could Grace have an alien baby? It wont be so far fetched since apparently Alma is pregnant. Where is this show going to end.

12. nikki says:

I am sad about Dr Thredson. I really liked him. In season 3 Zachary Quinto should really play a GOOD guy. This is two seasons that he plays a psycho.

• Anna says:

I don’t think Zachary necessarily played a bad guy in season one. Sure, his character was bitchy, but he wasn’t a horrible human being (at least when he was alive).

• mike says:

But Chad and Patrick wanted to smother the babies. It kind of makes them bad dead people.

• Anna says:

His character wouldn’t have done that in life though…I would guess that being brutally murdered probably changes a person. For that, I’m giving him a pass.

• MLO says:

He’s playing a psycho ’cause he’s so ‘bloody’ good at it (see what I did there?). Case in point – Sylar on Heroes.

13. SDub says:

i knew it was him because he seemed to perfect in that messed up world. They couldn’t have gotten Zachary Quinto and not have him do something awesome. Great seeing Shelley alive..scene with kids n teacher screaming was funny, but it sucks for her.

14. lorna says:

This, and the premiere were the only decent eps this season

15. Josh says:

This show really REALLY loves exploiting torturing women. Last season and now this season…It’s pretty sick.

16. vdofan says:

Who directed tonights episode? The camera was all over the place and I didn’t like all the jumping around. It was quite distracting!

17. ChrisGa says:

This show went off the rails far earlier than most of Murphy’s shows do. Still, this was by far the best episode of the season. And I gotta say, before this ep I wouldn’t have pegged Quinto’s character as Bloody Face but for some reason the minute he told Lana he was taking her out of there it really hit me that it was him.

18. A real fannnn says:

Just how in THE WORLD did Shelley get in a stinkin’ stairwell of all places??!!

19. A real fannnn says:

Just how in THE WORLD did Shelley get in a stinkin’ stairwell of all places??!!….smh

20. Britta Unfiltered says:

I actually thought it couldn’t be Thredson because didn’t he go to Lana’s girlfriend’s place to investigate why she might have disappeared and found blood on the carpet? Why would he put on a show of doing that if no one was watching? It didn’t make sense to me that it was him. I feel like I missed something there. Maybe I did. I like that Sister Jude has a double life now. I like that they did The Stepford Wives, though I didn’t see that was what they were doing until the final scene. And I am annoyed with myself for not picking it up earlier. For me personally, The Stepford Wives is one of the scariest horror movies out there. I could write papers on what that movie had to say about male attitudes toward feminism in the 70s. So I liked seeing it included. Also, good grief, is that really how they did lobotomies back then? That made me the most sick in the entire episode. Finally, why aren’t they using Joseph Fiennes in their stories more? I feel like we really have no idea who is character is, other than he doesn’t really disapprove of Nazis. I’m still waiting for my psychosexual priest storyline with him! Don’t leave me hanging, AHS!

• Maggie says:

The scene where Thredson goes to Lana’s house was just the story he told Lana. And it seems like you can’t really trust those kinds of “flashbacks” on this show. Just like when we saw Grace’s flashback to seeing her father murdered, and later found out it didn’t happen that way.

21. Ben says:

Well I knew something was going to happen to him, though I thought he’d probably just get killed, so it was a little surprise. What I’m dying to find out is if he’s still bloody face in the present.

22. Ruby says:

Jessica Lange’s performance in the scene where she’s talking about the squirrel was breathtaking. I’m pretty sure she sealed up her Emmy once again with that. Sarah Paulson was incredible as well. It was so utterly creepy when Threadson said, “I took her teeth” and that’s partly because Sarah’s terror was so deep that it completely sold me on the horror of the situation. I watch a lot of horror so I’m pretty hard to scare anymore, but that gave me nightmares (literal nightmares, I had to go to bed right after, dreamed about it all night, and it’s all I have thought about this morning as well!) Zachary Quinto is also incredible…maybe he’ll finally be recognized come awards season as well. Glad to see him back in psycho mode…I was always really disappointed that they decided to woobify Sylar on Heroes because ZQ was SO good at the creepy stuff.

23. bethany says:

I suspected it was Thredson since Nor’easter and getting Kit to confess on tape sealed it for me. I really, really, really hate the alien aspect this season. I hope there is an actual payoff for it. Fingers crossed.

24. Stephanie says:

I LOVED the episode. I knew something wasn’t right with Thredson, but didn’t expect this! Zachary Quinto is faaaantastic as a villain. He raised an eyebrow at Lana (very Sylar -esque) and I knew she was in trouble! Haha

25. JM says:

OMG it’s crazy I never expected Dr. Thredson to be Bloody Face but as soon as Lana got in the Car I knew something was up. I’m pretty sure Grace was pregnant and the aliens took her baby? It looked like she was cut right where you would be for a c-section. Alma was also pregnant in the space ship if that really was her (although it could have been an alien). So what’s going on with Anne Frank? is she really Anne Frank? Her Dr. Arden being a nazi story was true or maybe she is but she was brainwashed by Dr. Arden then she found the diary and remember and he’s brainwashing her again? Still 2 questions I can’t get out of my head though 1. Did no notice the Mary statues smashed on the floor with lip stick on it? 2. If Dr. Thredson’s Bloody Face in the asylum time who’s Bloody Face present day? you know the one that ripped off Adam Levine’s arm and came out after the fake Bloody Face’s shot Adam and Channing Tatum’s wife. Probably not Dr. Thredson because he would be to old unless Dr. Arden did something to him. Now that I think about it what about the alien thing we saw in the Nor’easter episode? The one that was crawling on the wall? So many questions!

26. Frankieboy says:

this show has some of the best actresses that there is on TV these days. Lange, Rabe and Paulson have been nothing but stellar this season.

27. Nadine says:

“Bloody Face” has blue eyes, the Dr. has brown, what’s up with that?

28. nadineb72 says:

Wait a minute, :Bloody Face” has blue eyes, Dr. Thredson has brown, what’s up with that?