Reality Check: Xtina's Unspeakable Crime on The Voice! Plus: Demi's X Factor Errors?

Was “self-sabotage” the primary theme last week on The Voice and The X Factor? It depends on who you ask.

On NBC’s reality singing competition, Christina Aguilera made an utterly inscrutable decision by sending home rising star De’Borah in favor of the far less exciting Adriana Louise. On The X Factor, meanwhile, Simon Cowell accused Demi Lovato of hurting her proteges’ chances by going overboard with makeovers and crazy staging.

My cohost Melinda Doolittle and I delve deeper into questions about Christina and Demi’s desire to win on this week’s Reality Check, while also reviewing the questionable performances of X Factor hosts Mario “Teleprompter’s Bitch” Lopez and Khloe “What’s That Shiny Object to My Left?” Kardashian.

Of course, Reality Check isn’t all negative all the time. Melinda and I also choose the standout performances from The Voice‘s Live Playoffs round — hello there, Amanda Brown! — and look at which acts are managing to not be swallowed whole by the lights and dancers and other ridiculata on The X Factor stage.

So press play below for this week’s Reality Check, and for all my reality TV news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (31)

• Yay!!! So happy you’re alright Michael!

Comment by Sasha – November 12, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I actually think Simon was talking a lot of sense re: song production and makeovers. However, his comments seemed to go completely over Demi’s head :S

Comment by Jay – November 12, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Demi thinks because of her age, she has a better idea of what should happen on stage, makeovers, etc… She’s gone too far too quickly.

Comment by CAM – November 12, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed. Simon is so right about Jenell’s look, for instance. She is completely unrecognisable. Demi is getting so much right, but she is going to wreck it all with some terrible calls if she doesn’t wake up and listen. Simon is not trying to sabotage her, he is trying to help her!

Comment by ben – November 12, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t care for De’Borah at all. Now get the two toned hair chick off there and things will be vastly improved.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 12, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And you just picked two of the best three ladies on the show this year. The rest are tired… same old, same old. I dount I’d ever buy a song from the others. At least Amanda is a favorite.

Comment by Temperence – November 12, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t go that far. I don’t care for melanie one bit. De’borah on the other hand I really liked. I do agree on that point…and xtina was truely screwed in the head to get rid of her. I think that’ll come back to bite her in the rear.

Comment by Adarious – November 12, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see you two back together. I think Christina is too hung up on looks. That’s why she sent De’Borah home. De’Borah doesn’t fit the popstar mold. I feel totally gypped about all the great De’Borah performances that will be missing from my TV and iPod. I am even madder than I was about her sending Jesse home last season. Somebody needs to send Christina home.

Comment by dj – November 12, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If she is, it must be a new thing, considering she kept Beverly McClellan back in season 1.

Comment by chuck farlie – November 12, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simon was accurate about Demi’s team. That doesn’t mean the guy is honest though. Here’s a guy who’s trying to tell us Emblem3 is good & a few years ago was telling us Siobahn couldn’t sing.

LA Reid is a letting X Factor use him as a tool. There’s no way he can think those guys are any good. Yet he’s saying how great they are a few weeks in a row. Something makes me think X Factor as a whole is pushing those guys. Below average at best. I hope they don’t win.

I don’t care for the new Jennell. I liked her girl next door sexiness. Now she’s all dolled up and doesn’t come off as well.

On the Voice, Amanda was def. great. Not so fast on handing her the title though. Does anyone remember Pia a couple of years ago? She started strong, but then did the same thing every week and got voted off. If Amanda can keep it up though, then yea she’d be the one to beat.

Along those same lines, I’m not that upset about Deborah leaving. Her best performance was her first one (Message in a Bottle). She’s been good since then, but nothing outstanding.

Comment by Danny – November 12, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amanda has done something different every week she has sang. I don’t see the appeal of deborah so didn’t mind. Also michael on the stage lightening etc I see where coming from but that’s what the x factor is about finding someone who can sing dance etc

Comment by steve – November 12, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see no comparison between Pia and Amanda. Amanda has given us a different and amazing performance every time. Her Dream On is one of the most memorable The Voice performances of any season.

Comment by teatime – November 12, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like The X Factor, but I’m afraid it has more to do with the fact that I’m a fan of the UK version than with the US version being good.
    About what you said… the point of the show IS the production. It’s the lights, the staging, the dancers, everything. I understand your opinion on this, but what they’re trying to find there isn’t a new Whitney Houston, but a new Britney Spears, Katy Perry or Rihanna – a so-called-full package, someone who can make an impression on the charts (and make more money for Simon Cowell). That’s what makes it different than Idol or The Voice (if it’s a good idea or not, that’s up to you).
    I thought this week was solid, a lot of good performances and only one terrible one, which was Cece’s.

Also, may I suggest you guys look on youtube for some videos of the UK version of the show? I know it has nothing to do with your comments, but everything just WORKS there. Leona Lewis came out of the X Factor. So did Alexandra Burke, Rebecca Ferguson and (if you’re into that kind of thing) One Direction. It makes you wonder what is wrong about this version.

Comment by Jon – November 12, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey Jon,

Some pretty astute comments there. Is there a way to get your version over here and see the whole thing at once? It’s pretty tough not knowing who the contestants are to look them up. If I’m not mistaken, you get our shows a couple of days after they air over here.

If you get our version of American Idol, I’d be curious to know what your thoughts on it are.

Then a Q for anyone. Are we allowed to give our email addy’s on this site? I have a few more Q’s for Jon, but don’t want to hijack this thread.

Comment by Danny – November 12, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Showing your email address in a public thread is never a good idea. Give him your twitter instead? Then you guys can exchange your emails through dm’s over there.

Comment by Mari – November 12, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m not real savvy tech wise. I don’t have twitter. I was going to give him an email addy that I have where I don’t care if I get junk mail. Then look for his specifically, then give him the one I give to my friends. Would that work? Or is there challenges w/ that too?

Comment by Danny – November 12, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when i was finally getting over Christina decision. You showed the comparison clips of Deborah and Adrianna, and I’m full on angry at America for not voting for Deborah and Christina for not saving her. UGH!! I’m not even sure if I’ll watch tonight, if i do I will definitely skip Adrianna performance and rewatch one of Deborah’s old ones.

Comment by Bring Back Deborah – November 12, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t comment on the voice because I do not watch. X-factor is just too overproduced for my taste. Even thought I usually do not agree with Simon, I hope Demi listens because her make overs and productions are hurting the group. I found Lyric entertaining border line annoying but Emblem 3 just plain ANNOYING. I believe in LESS IS MORE.

Comment by Mary – November 12, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t care for Deborah at all, but otherwise I agree with everything you said, and I love how much fun you two are having while commenting! :)

Comment by Kate – November 12, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are right about Christina’s choice. The show is called The Voice, not the perfect package. De’Borah’s song was not the best choice, but she has a great voice. Some people just don’t like her androgynous look and I think that sadly worked against her and they didn’t too voted like Christina. If she were on another show, like Idol, she would have been voted off early because of it as well. Just sad when you think about it.

Comment by Ronnie – November 12, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • De’borah was NOT GOOD on “Who Knew”. Get over it Michael.

Comment by Pat – November 12, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melinda’s comment about Michaela Paige’s hair just made me laugh out loud! (Something about Mary). I don’t think I’ll be able to watch Michaela without thinking about that for the rest of the season! IMO, best line of the week!

Comment by TC – November 12, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad you made it high and dry, Michael. Yes I still long for the 3-4 parters that allowed for more specific critiques of the show and it’s contestants.
    …and especially this week that there was no comment on XFactor’s revealing the voting ranking for the contestants….that’s a pretty significant development for this show and unfortunate we didn’t get a comment from someone like you who follows these shows and can give a knowledgeable opinion on it’s impact.

Will Idol follow suit if it turns out it’s a popular ‘gimmick’? Your fans want to know :)

Comment by Tusk – November 12, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Adam and Christina screwed up with their saves. De’borah should have stayed over Adrianna. De’borah wasn’t at her best but she was still better than Adrianna in the long run.

Melanie being saved to be the twee adorable little girl with the limited voice is just annoying.

Comment by nich – November 12, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also if The Voice is only going to get 1/3 of the recap video why include the show? Most of this is about X-Factor.

Comment by nich – November 12, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • adriana was the right choice, true she didn’t do so well last week but her audition, damn, you just can’t let that one go… i thing underdogs are more likely to win than those who shine early on in the competition.

Comment by summer – November 12, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ii can’t believe Trevin has not been mentioned bt anyone…he will win it…Amanda will take second…terry in third.

Comment by debbie – November 13, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad you’re okay! Loved your recap and agreed with almost everything you said.

Comment by d.p. – November 13, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Aggressive Eyebrows” is totally my new band name. (I don’t have a band.) Also, RealTalk: If you were someone who’d busted your butt to get to the judges’ house phase of XFactor, how totally P!SSED would you be if you got there and DEMI FREAKING LOVATO ??? was your mentor? Answer: Hella. And now we’re seeing that in action.

Comment by dlonyc4 – November 13, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope when you do your American Idol show next year you will go back to having a different guest every week. I do like Melinda, but last season it got very boring seeing the same two people with the same opinions every single week. Your Idology series in seasons past had been much more interesting when you changed it up… sure, keep Melinda, but just once or twice in the season is enough! I’ve watched every season you have done for the past 5 years or so and always loved it but because of this last season wasn’t so great. Hope to see a return to greatness next year! Thanks!

Comment by Scott – November 15, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post