Ratings: Once Upon a Time Hits All-Time Low

A tale of a full moon came up empty for ABC’s Once Upon a Time this Sunday, as the sophomore drama dropped 23 percent in the demo to a series-low 2.7 rating.

That sad slide could land Sunday’s usual non-sports demo leader in second place this week, depending on how Fox’s football-delayed animated line-up shakes out. (Early, unreliable numbers have Bob’s Burgers at a 2.8.)

In total audience, Once fell 14 percent to 8.7 million viewers.

RELATED | Recap: Once Upon a Time Issues a Red Alert

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Truth and Consequences

Continuing ABC’s night, Revenge (7.5 mil/2.4) was down 6 and 11 percent to a season low. Bubble newbie 666 Park Avenue capped things with 4 mil/1.3, matching last week’s series low.

Over on CBS, The Amazing Race (9.2 mil/2.4) dipped 10 percent and two tenths, The Good Wife (9 mil/1.7) shed a few eyeballs while holding staeady in the demo and The Mentalist (10 mil/1.8) inched up 10 percent in total viewers to deliver the night’s largest non-sports audience.

What were you tuned into this Sunday evening?

Watch More TVLine Videos!

1. Ant says:

Really wish they would move the mentalist back to a weekday

2. Jo! says:

Veteran’s Day, Football, even Skyfall… Hopefully ratings for OUAT and Revenge recover for the next episodes. And they’ll be the last of the year right? Already! :l Hopefully Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Shopping allow this.

3. That’s crazy, because it was BY FAR the best ONCE episode this season…

4. Sure its just because of Veteran’s Day weekend, if ratings in lots of shows dropped.

5. xav says:

Once has been on a downward slide in terms of quality this season but this episode was up there with the first two in terms of moving the story forwards.

6. Beth says:

I think they are losing people with the “two worlds” storyline. JMO. Was too soon after the spell broke to separate everyone like that.

• taran63 says:

I would agree with that. The sad thing is that this week’s episode was very good, but I believe that the ratings are strongly affected by the previous week’s episode. If that episode is bad, fewer people will turn in next week, and I personally was not impressed by last week’s episode.

Fortunately, this week’s episode was good, and next week’s promises to have zombies which, if done right, can be very entertaining.

• I’m really scared of Zombies :'(

• Geraldine says:

I actually really enjoyed last weeks episode except the gruesome CGIs, The plot moved along since Emma & Snow got the imported compass to return home and it answered & introduced some exciting twitsts with Hook, August (where is he now?) and Henrys father. The problem may be more the dropped plotline syndrome.This episode was promoted heavily as Red centric and it had not all that much to do with the episodes before. i would assume people just don`t care for her so much, just a thought. It was IMO bad timing to screen the episode now. Otherwise Once had to face & compete with two popuar football games. Considering that It still did okay, nothing to worry about. ;)

• beej says:

in TWO weeks… OUAT will not be aired next Sunday :(

• wrstlgirl says:

Agreed. OUAT is one of the shows that I chat with my co-workers about every Monday morning, sadly today when I came in to work no one besides me had watched or even dvr’d. All said they are bored and tired of the Snow/Emma story. I can’t say that I blame them really.

• xav says:

Totally agree. either they’re skipping whole episodes or they combine all three and lose momentum.

• Lena120 says:

I agree. With the exception of a couple episodes, I haven’t been impressed with this season. All of the new characters have fallen flat for me (really hate what they’ve done to Mulan), and Emma/Snow’s Fairy tale story is becoming tedious. Plus, I feel like they don’t know what to do with Regina anymore. Are her and David really co-parenting now? I loathed the Frankenstein episode, and now zombies are coming. Like I told my friend, Dracula is right around the corner. Wouldn’t be surprised.

• Templar says:

ITA. You’d almost think David E. Kelley had a hand in it. His shows always start out great and then go seriously off the rails. The first season of OUAT there were both Lost and Disney easter eggs all over the place and a real interest in what was coming next. This season it seems they’re giving us a lot of “show”, but not much story and few eggs to crow over. Personally, I’d rather have a great show that lasts only two or three seasons than a mediocre one that drags on forever.

• kellyk says:

‘Losing people’ in what sense? Ratings this season have actually been on par (or better) than the back half of S1, this slip notwithstanding. I loved the episode, but it makes sense why it didn’t draw people in – Red isn’t the most popular character, and people probably assumed it was a complete standalone. It’s a shame, but what can you do?

• Red may not be the most popular character, but she’s by far the best! And funny — the standalone property of her episodes is one of the things that makes them so great! I like them SO MUCH MORE than any of Snow’s, Regina’s or Rumple’s…

• Nat says:

I agree. I think the main problem is that it’s been going on for too long now. It was great in the beginning, but then quickly ran out of steam. Now it’s just dragging on and on, eating up screentime, and every week I wish they would just get to the showdown with Cora already and then all three, Emma Snow and Cora, can finally get (back) to Storybrooke. I don’t know why they’re stalling it. Hook may be part of the problem. They have to introduce him to the audience, but that’s stalling the whole present day fairytale world storyline.

• Kristina says:

I agree. Way too much going on and the new characters kinda suck, which means less story time for the ones I like for more with ones that are blah.

7. lhathaw08 says:

I liked OUAT this week (weak season, though) but I was switching back & forth during Revenge. Neither show holds my interest like they did last season.

8. shuayb says:

People were probably watching Skyfall and or enjoying veterans day. This season has been amazing!

9. Jen says:

that’s funny cause this was the first week we actually watched it live instead of later. Typically record it and watch the following weekend.

10. Riah says:

So sad about 666 it is getting really good. I loved Revenge this week but didn’t really care for OUAT, I’m still losing interest this season (but I keep watching). :-)

11. em says:

Although I tune out the Storybrooke plot sometimes, I just didn’t watch last night because I’m not a fan of Ruby/Red. When the ep focuses too much on a specific character I don’t like, I’m content with reading the recap the next day to get caught up with anything big that happened.

12. 1234 says:

Definitely felt like a filler episode of OUAT last night (aside from the last two minutes even though many had already guessed that twist). I loved the first three episodes of the season, but the last couple ones have left me scratching my head (Hook, Frankenstein, the Beanstalk…I didn’t care about any of this).

13. Lucy says:

I hope that TGW ratings will stay steady because there’s no way they’re going to cancel it right now that they finally are doing SOMETHING with Cary!

14. Marco says:

OUAT has the big problem of killing characters (mostly male ones) in the very same episode they’re introduced, or in the second one (if they can get to it) this season, taken to ludicrous extremes last night; seriously, were I Red/Ruby, I would just try an exorcism for all this rotten luck, that made her lose THREE love interest and a mother in two seasons. This combined with the obstinate idea of killing off most of the male cast while keeping the women even when it’s the dumbest idea ever (Mulan and Aurora should’ve died in the episode they appeared, instead OUAT took the easy way out) makes the show aggravating to watch. No wonder people are jumping ship!

15. Mike says:

I must be the only one that likes this season of OUAT better than the first season. I think the two worlds make it so much more interesting and definitely upped the stakes. Is it usual for shows to drop on long weekends. I’m sure it will bounce back.

• Heather says:

No, it’s not just you. I think this season has been really great overall though it does bug me sometimes when some of the main cast members don’t even appear in episodes. It seems like the writers know what they’re doing and how they’re going to get there which is more than I can say for Revenge (which I normally love but feel has been a little wacky this season). I feel like they’ve been moving their chess pieces around to get things right where they want them and that these next two episodes before the holiday break will be REALLY good and finish this early arc somehow. Don’t let a few people on websites get to you…there are a lot of people out there who are also really enjoying OUAT this year. =) (Personally, I think the holiday weekend and the football overrun messed up with Once’s ratings last night and hopefully they bounce back when the show returns. I hate waiting two weeks for another new episode!)

16. susela says:

The show is also adding so many new characters without really making them real to us. I still feel no connection with Mulan and Aurora, and am not invested in whether they live or die. With such a sprawling cast, the show is losing focus and becoming less interesting.

17. Greg says:

I have dish and all the shows on ABC didn’t play at all. All it said was off air were working on fixing the problem. It said that from 7pm CT to 10pm CT.
    Every other channel worked

18. ej says:

CGI. Ugh. IMO a filler compared to last season’s Red epi. Fitting in the Henry/Aurora storyline felt badly edited while Regina’s redemption storyline has been neglected badly, presumably b/c the writers put too much on their plates. The tri-world storytelling style is taking on too much too soon (or ever). While I didn’t dislike “The Doctor” or “Tallahassee”, I don’t think the writers are doing the best job of interweaving the storylines this season; last season it was seemless in transitioning from one epi to the next, whereas this season it’s very choppy, trying to cover a few days in both worlds over so many episodes that it drags out and feels like weeks even w/o adding in the flashbacks. The attempt to squeeze so much out of such a small period of time worked geat for 24, but this is just getting annoying. And would it be so bad if Snow got rid of that pink sweater and put on a cloak or something? At least Emma’s brown jacket is effective camaflage in a freak’n forest! There was a whole town of dead people who must have left closets full of FTL appropriate clothes; that cashmere’s gotta be a little ripe, and nobody wants a Snow White with B.O.

• Nat says:

The interweaving of storylines is a big, big issue this season for sure. It’s not working as well as last season. “The Doctor” was a good example. It was such an emotional episode and the next week they completely drop the ball on that, there is no continuation and further development of the story, and it feels like it’s a whole different show. They waste so much potential this season because they don’t connect the episodes well enough.

19. Boiler says:

Thank the Chicago Bears. Hopefully DVR perks up OUAT and other ABC

20. Natalie says:

Hmm… “The Mentalist” and “The Good Wife” seem to be holding at those numbers lately in the demo. I love both shows and want them to do well. Glad TM went up a tenth in total viewers.

“The Good Wife” has finally done something with Cary. I love Kalinda and wish her husband arc had panned out a little better. Hey, maybe it’ll have a stellar finish. But I’ve been missing Cary, who’s been on the bench mostly for a while now. And it’s a shame since he’s such a good character. So, yay, Cary.

On “The Mentalist”: Loved Lisbon last night. Fierce, smart and feisty. Awesome. And Jane and Lisbon and their banter just owned. They have great chemistry and played off of each other so well, it was easy for them to steal any scene they were in. Also, a lot of juicy reveals, inching ever closer to RJ. I keep waiting for the first boring episode of the season and they haven’t had a subpar one yet.

It’s interesting seeing “Bob” and knowing he’s an RJ minion, and a seemingly important one, and noting the irony that Jane, is so focused on Lorelei and her RJ info. (to the point of almost being off putting and irksome), that he misses the minion in his own back yard, literally bumping into him, chillin’ around his woman and asking her to coffee after warning her creepily to stay away from Volker… I mean, seriously, Jane? Seriously? :/

And now we have the FBI chick, Alexa, and a Homeland Security dude in bed with RJ. RJ seems to have tendrils of power reaching everywhere.

Still behind on OUAT. Need to catch up on it.

Thanks for the ratings news, Matt. In case you forgot, here’s a reminder: you are awesome. :)

• Cassie says:

I agree, The Mentalist is awesome this season. It’s getting better with every episode, that’s why I don’t understand why it has such comparatively low ratings recently…
      Jane and Lisbon definitely deserve something better than Sunday night after football!

21. sarah says:

Interesting that TVline says 666 matched its low BUT Tvfanatic said it was holding steady!

22. THIS is what happens when you mess with Captain swan fans! Give us hook and emma and we’ll tune in.

23. Mila says:

Not surprised by the ratings for OUAT. I think many fans are starting to tire of the current storyline.
    However, we all know the show will pick up right before winter break, which will grate to no end

24. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was watching Walking Dead, Dexter, Talking Dead, then literally talking about Walking Dead with my friends online and on the phone, then watched Homeland. Twice.

25. Lambsilencer says:

It’s just the way it is with “Once Upon A Time”. The episodes telling Ruby/Red’s story continue to be the best of the show. Last season’s “Red-handed” was deemed the best of the season by many, and for me, this one didn’t lose any of the quality the former episode concerning Ruby/Red. It was another truly tragic tale for her, superbly written and filmed. (OK, the scene with the wolves running through the forest was with very poor special effects. But the notion was very beautiful). And Meghan Ory didn’t miss one single beat in portraying this multi-layered, complex, cute and feisty character. And by God did she look gorgeous again in her red hood. I hope they make her more of a sidekick for David in the future. She’s just a treat to watch.

I knew it was Aurora in Henry’s dream in the first occasion, as the way she moved in her huge dress was so distinctly her it couldn’t have been any other way. But still, the idea that Henry is connected to the other world through his dreams is, yes, quite brilliant.

26. Charity says:

DirectTV and ABC weren’t getting along all night long.

27. diane says:

I was bored with this week’s eps of Revenge anf OUAT.

28. Sarah says:

The new characters are boring. Enough with the new faces, the cast is getting too big. Get Emma and Snow (and Cora) back to Storybrooke and get the 5 main characters interacting again. I miss Snow and Charming. I miss Regina and Emma.

29. Donna says:

I wish they would get Emma and Snow back to Storybrooke already!! I agree with a poster above, everything seems stalled for Hook/Aurora/Mulan who they haven’t even done anything with! Bring our favorites (The Charmings, Emma and Regina) back together (oh and bring Cora too cause she is evil-y delicious) and leave those three behind already! The Red/Belle stuff was nice though;)

30. momtutu says:

This season of OUAT is not doing it for me. Henry still remains a terrible actor. Hook is terrible, David/Charming is one dimensional (how many times is he going to give a speech to denizens of Storybrooke), Snow and Emma are this close to Mary Sues. I am not buying the instant family of the Charmings, it would have been more interesting to see the 3 of them struggle with the reveal. I don’t get the point of Aurora and Mulan at all and any interesting male characters seem to get killed off ( The Sheriff, Lancelot, August). TPTB seem to have no idea what to do with Regina. I enjoyed last season and I am really hoping that this season will turn around.

31. jonathon says:

show is doing great. don’t change anything, the ratings were caused by lots this weekend out of their control. it will go back to normal in 2 weeks.

32. Elyse says:

i know 666 isn’t the best show but the episodes keep getting better each week. i wish it would get a full season pick up but i doubt that will happen.

33. AngD says:

I’m curious – does this factor in that parts of NY/NJ are still without power??? I know it doesn’t explain all of the drop off, but certainly some of it. I know losing power and working from home had me losing track of time – if not for my TiVo, I would’ve forgotten what to watch.

34. Tennessee says:

I know why the ratings dropped. It’s because of the long length of time the writers have extended the Charming Family seperation between this world, and fairytale land, or wherever. Also: They introduce a hottie a few episodes about that. Right when it looks like they’ve got something good going, they pull out the rug and focus on something that has nothing to do with the story line at hand. The problem is not the show. It’s your writers. Get Hook back. Keep him. Complicate him, and stop brining in so many newbies, so often. Do that, and viewership will come back. Otherwise, I fear for OUAT’s future.

35. Lanoir says:

With how often guys are getting killed on this show, I just wonder how much time Hook has got before he’s next. That’s one of the problems with this show. Too many characters, and too many of them get killed off, I’d like to see more of this Captain Hook, but I’m almost afraid to enjoy it too much (much less the show). Last Resort just got pulled. It’s a great show. These days, it may not be worth it to let yourself enjoy good tv. Producers, writers, and the powers that be obviously don’t give a crap about what a viewer wants to see.