Homeland Recap: Cease and [Bleep]ing Desist!

This Sunday on Showtime’s Homeland, something I thought wouldn’t happen anytime soon instead did, while something I dreaded was sure to happen didn’t. And that is why this show rocks.

The episode opens with Roya intercepting Brody to stress that since they lost a man in the Gettysburg attack, he’ll need to play an even larger role moving forward. When Brody balks, she assures, “Things are going to move quickly now… This is no time to bug. We’re almost there.” And to that end, she directs him to “keep Walden very happy.” That last bit puzzles Carrie and Quinn, who are busy rehashing the Gettysburg snafu that landed Peter in the hospital. What did the Mystery Man and his team extract from behind the tailor’s wall? Based on the few clues, it wasnt a dirty bomb but quite possibly “enough C4 to level an embassy or synagogue.”

SAUL TO THE ‘MAX | Speaking of the Mystery Man (played by 24‘s Mido Hamada), Saul spends much of the episode visiting captured Season 1 terrorist Aileen Morgan in her supermax facility, where she spends 23 hours a day in solitary. Saul needs her help in IDing the guy Roya met with by the fountain. First, Aileen wants this confab to take place “upstairs” in a windowed room. And two, if she is to part with intel, she wants to be guaranteed a cell with a view. When the prison’s a–hole of a warden refuses to play ball with Saul the “big shot” with “devil-may-care grooming” who in his sandbox “doesn’t have the kind of power he’s accustomed to,” Saul goes over the grouch’s head to the Attorney General. But until Aileen has the promise on paper, she’s mum — yet enjoys Saul’s gift of bread, wine and cheese. “I’m not getting f–ked over on this,” she asserts.

En route to a fundraiser for Walden’s presidential run, Dana tells Finn she attended the hit-and-run victim’s funeral, and desperately wants for them to tell their folks what happened. Finn ultimately agrees, though on his terms as far as timing. In a separate car, Jessica tells Brody that Mike suspects he killed Tom Walker. Brody covers, saying that on behalf of the CIA he reached out to his old pal, but things went sideways and “Yes, I did have a part in stopping him.” When Jessica responds with the only possible reaction — “What the f–k?!” — he explains that Walker had “lost his way” and “couldn’t get right again.”

TURNING OFF THE MIKE | The first chance he gets, Brody phones Carrie to ask how his wife could know about Tom. Carrie assures him that she will “take care of Faber,” and that she does. Meeting with the major in private, she explains that Brody is “essential” in thwarting an imminent terrorist event. As such, “If we weren’t clear the first time, let me drive it home: Cease and f–king desist.” She suggests that because Mike is in love with Jessica and was about to move in with her when Brody came home (nice callback to her Season 1 surveillance sessions), he’s “emotional” about this whole thing. But maybe he’d be better to play the long game. “Sometime soon she and those kids might really need you,” Carrie teases. She adds, perhaps also talking to herself: “I hope you get what you want.”

At the fundraiser, Brody fields awkward questions from “lookie-loos,” while Walden grills Estes about the Gettysburg mess, saying, “I can’t have lunatics on the loose with explosives.” The host for the event, Rex, pulls Brody aside for a walk and talk, revealing that while he doesn’t care for Walden-the-non-war-veteran, “I’m looking eight years down the road, to you.” Brody tries to explain, “I’m not that man” — though that would make a helluva Homeland Season 10: Terrorist-in-Chief.

SEEMS LIKE OLD TIMES | Brody’s next stop is an unplanned assignation with Carrie in the woods, and for the ensuing several minutes I was, quite literally, saying, “No. No. No. No. No…” at my screen. Why? Because based on how little information was exchanged, the only reason this scene seemed to exist was to put Brody within arm’s length of Carrie so that Jessica might stumble across them, or at the very least spy them from afar. Especially when the two held hands, and then fell into a heated clinch. “I do feel used and played…. but I also feel good,” Brody said mid-makeout. “Two minutes with you, and I feel good. How do you pull that off?” And yet… this encounter was not witnessed by Jessica. Kudos, Homeland. I definitely watched too many soaps as a kid.

Speaking of kids…. We come to the plot point that sneaked up on me. Because despite the promise he made to Dana, I had zero faith that Finn would ever utter a peep about the hit-and-run. And he was not about to. But when he and Dana got into a loud squabble over their differing intentions, Dana blurts out to their moms: “We killed someone.” Alrighty then! After a more private debriefing, Cynthia Walden sends the kids off, then compares notes with Jessica, who of is course assuming they will do the right thing and lawyer up. “We have to remember we’re on the world stage here,” a steely SLOTUS counters. “I’ll take care of it…. You’ll have to follow my lead.”

THE WRONG MAN | Over at the supermax facility, Saul presents Aileen with the faxed confirmation of their deal, and she promptly IDs the guy in the photo as Mohammad Al Ghandi, a “gun-crazy” conspirator who has been in the States about a year. But when the FBI storms the suspect’s Newark address, they find the wrong man. “Why would she do that?” Saul wonders — and then it hits him. Racing back to their meeting room, Saul finds Aileen has used an eyeglass lens shard to slit her wrists, having enjoyed her full day in the sun, so to speak. With Quinn, Saul later kicks himself and his “sloppy” work.

‘DAD?’ | After Rex announces to his well-heeled guests his decision to back the Walden/Brody ticket and the “truly bright future” it offers, Brody — fresh from a soothing swim and a Dana update from Jessica — privately confronts his running mate about the hit-and-run problem. “Just let it lie,” Walden suggests/demands. “We’re running for the most important office in the world; a screw-up by a couple of teenagers won’t stand in our way.” Undeterred, Brody takes his daughter to the cop shop to tell the truth, only to find Carrie waiting for him. “You’ll alienate Walden” by doing this, she explains. “The whole thing will be off,” meaning alllll of his treasonous laundry will be aired. Dana wanders into the scene à la Saturday Night Live to ask, “Dad? What is this?” Brody says she can’t confess to the accident “right now,” but the lass smells a “bullsh—er.” “You make me sick,” she groans, then skulks off. “This is not OK,” Brody corrects a reassuring Carrie. “None of this is f–king OK!”

What did you think of Homeland Season 2, Episode 7? Were you glad to see the teens not harbor the hit-and-run secret for far too long? How do you think Brody’s decision to comply with a cover-up might backfire? (Hmm, what if Roya were to find out? Bonus leverage!)

1. I like how they just cut to the chase in Homeland. They don’t let things stir too long. Brody being a terrorist? Oh, let’s just get it over it. Kids killed someone? Let’em confess! We’ll make something else up. Writers confident in their ability of coming up with new stories and twists! They’re doing pretty okay so far! :)

• Saint Alicia says:

Well put, they don’t let plots languish and get stale, they just keep pushing ahead and upping the ante.
      Tonight’s ep was terrific (as usual). Love how Dana just blurted out what they’d done (not at all how I was expecting it to go down), and also love that she called Brody out, because she’s absolutely correct, he’s so full of it. But still… the Carrie/Brody scene in the woods! Those two together are like a drug. The best drug ever.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Agree with both of you. I swear the writers think it’s fun to write themselves into a corner just to see how they can get out of it. I picture them coming up with these story lines of things like arresting Brody in the 4th episode out of jest, and then thinking to themselves, “Oh! Challenge accepted!”

2. Sparky says:

Love this show – this episode no exception…I just hope they don’t write themselves into a corner!! Can’t wait for each episode – it just sucks that we are getting so close the season finale!!

• ben says:

They wrote themselves into a corner just with the concept of Homeland, and yet somehow they have been writing themselves out of it ever since.

3. rec says:

I wish Roya would get killed off.

4. k says:

Saul was wearing.his eyeglasses when he found Aileen. This is bothering me. Did he really have two sets on him or was this an oversight? Grr..

• Lindsey says:

He was wearing them in the room with Aileen as well. He had a second pair that he pulled out of his shirt pocket to give to her. My guess is he was wearing his regular glasses and keeps a pair of reading glasses on hand.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

She also cut her carotid not her wrists. That’s why Saul had his hand o her neck. It is oh so much harder to save a person that has cut their carotid rather than their wrists. Her hand was just bloody from the piece of glass.

5. Ryan says:

The storyline with the teenagers is keeping Homeland from being the best show on television.

• Holly says:

Disagree. What keeps Homeland from being the best show is the over the top writing for the show’s premise. Completely unbelievable and even more as the show progresses. it’s among the best in TV but then again, even these shows have off episodes.

• DarkDefender says:

And the kids storyline is essential.. It gives Brody a way to take down the career of the Vice President before he becomes president.

#paybacksabitch

6. Terry says:

If they don’t get Dana out of the story soon, I am giving up on this show. She brings nothing to the story.

• ben says:

Disagree about Dana, she brings a lot of forward momentum to the story, often. She was critical to the end of season one. I have faith in where this story in going in season two.

• MrMank says:

Yeah, I absolutely have to agree with you there. If not for Dana, the show would have absolutely ended at season 1, or at least the Brody storyline would have.

• Jacob says:

The wedge that this cover-up will put between Dana and Brody is key to the future of the season, I guarantee it.

7. Tamara says:

That was a strange episode to me. ‘Cause I just discovered that, well, this is not THAT good.
    I really like this show but just think one minut. Lot of things happened yesterday : story about Dana, story about Brody and Carrie, story about Ailleen, story about Mike questionning the responsability of Brody, Jessica who discovered that her husband killed his friend, Roya and Brody’s meeting, etc.
    There are too many mini stories in this show and noone are enough developed.

• Jenny says:

Too many stories? I personally don’t think it’s hard to follow at all.

This show is doing everything right in my opinion. I too questioned what was the point of Dana’s story? And now we see how it connects with Brody. Love Carrie/Brody relationship, but there are obvious trust issues, how can there not given the circumstances!! Love this crazy unpredictable edge of your seat show.

• lemondedetamara says:

That’s not hard to understand. That’s just keep us busy with all these stories instead of giving us answers and full developped stories.

8. James says:

great show great episode as always. the ending made me wonder about how they’re going to deal with the dana thing, i wonder if by seasons end brody comes clean to dana and tells her everything or at least a little more truth than he gave his wife. i get the feeling that there’s is the most honest realationship in the show, not that it is honest because no one is honest on this show, but at least open to it. it should be very interesting to see how it plays out. i’m also curious to see if we discover the other mole by the end of the season.

9. mary says:

As for Dana, her reason for wanting to tell was that she wanted to help the family, she wanted to help the daughter, and not that she wanted to be criminally charged or spend time in juvenile detention. I mean, who wants that? It’s natural to hide from the police, isn’t it? So, I think she will cool off on telling the police but not be able to resist telling the daughter. And somehow I expect that the daughter will land a scholarship to Sidwell Friends School and be right there at school with Dana and Finn. And recognize Dana, if Dana hasn’t already spilled the beans. I’m not sure where the storyline is going, but I love Homeland and so far, every little twist and turn has created a richer world to watch.

10. Britta Unfiltered says:

Awww, Carrie and Brody got to make out in The Clearing! Thank you for that, Homeland. Just…thank you so much. I love the slow burn! Brody seems to have such an interesting trust in Carrie and is able to tell her things he’s not able to tell anyone else. She’s seen him so emotionally naked, I think that is what creates the weird bond between them. And the fact that he can’t be truthful with his wife is really destroying his marriage. It’s cool though, she wants to be with Mike anyway. She can be with Mike, and Brody can be with Carrie, and then everyone will be happy except for Dana and Chris.
    Now, a couple of problems I have been having with the last couple of episodes…this big national secret of Brody being a CIA asset is really being horribly kept. I couldn’t believe Jess just offered it up to Mike like that. Is she trying to get him killed? Sheesh. And now everyone seems to be talking about it in the most casual of locations. Now on to my problem with the hit-and-run storyline. I feel like they are making it very unintentionally funny. Dana’s unexpected blurt-out of “We killed someone,” made me do a spit-take. I did an actual spit-take onto my computer monitor at that line. And I’m still unsure it’s going to add to the story, but maybe they’re going to use it to make Brody hate the veep more and maybe he’ll start to have some of his old terrorist feelings come back. [Shrug]. Oh, and finally, my latest thoughts on the mole are that it is either Virgil’s weird cousin (or maybe him and Virgil working together), or the other CIA guy who was involved in the Gettysburg attack. I am curious to see how they write their way out of this mole storyline, because at this point, how does Abu Nazir NOT find out Brody has turned? How would the mole not know?

11. Erin says:

I forget, how do we know for sure there is a mole?