Dexter Recaplet: Has Deb Finally Accepted the Dark Passenger? Will Dex Kill for His Sister?

Dexter Season 7 SpoilersThe following recap contains spoilers from this Sunday’s Dexter.

This week’s Dexter found our titular anti-hero between a rock (his prying sister) and a hard place (his murderous new bed buddy) — and what resulted was nothing short of game-changing.

Unable to fight their intense chemistry, Dexter and Hannah ambivalently jumped into a relationship of sorts — though not before eliminating one major obstacle: true-crime author Sal Price.

RELATED | Dexter‘s Jennifer Carpenter on That Bath Scene, New Deb/Dex Intimacy! Plus: Finale Scoop

See, Sal — as we saw last week — was onto Hannah and her killer ways, and had decided to use said subject for his latest book venture. However, his next few moves proved fatal. Approaching Hannah in a threatening way, Sal revealed that he knew she and Dexter had a little thing and, should she go on-the-record with him about her youthful killing spree, he would let that explosive tidbit — for lack of a word — die. Murderous thoughts setting in, she agreed, but, after telling Dexter what the writer had proposed, she was dissuaded:

Dexter: “Price doesn’t have to die. I can get him to back off for good.”
Hannah: “I’m used to doing things on my own. I don’t need somebody to protect me.”
Dexter: “I know you don’t. But I have this covered.”

Elsewhere, Deb and Sal continued to grow close, bonding over drinks and their increased suspicion of Hannah McKay — but more on that later.

Staying true to his word, Dexter set in motion his plan to stop Sal, by blackmailing the author into silence by threatening to frame him for an unsolved case he’d covered years ago. Sal, meanwhile, conducted his surprisingly candid interview with Hannah, who confessed to the crime he’d long suspected her of. It seemed sincere enough — that is, until the scribe arrived at Dex’s house for a little chat.

RELATED | Dexter: Jennifer Carpenter on Deb/Hannah Drama and the ‘Incredible’ Yvonne Strahovski

The Dark Passenger shared his aforementioned scheme with Sal, who was none too happy with it. But that didn’t end up mattering much, as he quickly keeled over, thwacked his head on the corner of a table and died on Dex’s living room floor. (Hannah strikes again!)

Deb immediately suspected the venomous Hannah and called her in for questioning — a feat which was ultimately unsuccessful. Though Hannah had effectively offed Sal with an untraceable dose of her signature poison, she was able to keep calm during the lieutenant’s intense interrogation. Dexter, though, wasn’t as easy to handle. Angry that Hannah had gone behind his back to arrange a meeting between Price and the Grim Reaper, he confronted her. Yet the mood quickly shifted from scary to sexy when the pair came to terms with what had actually transpired. “Do you realize what happened?” Hannah mused. “We were looking out for each other. That’s big for people like us, maybe even historic.”

Romp in the sack concluded, Dexter’s voiceover pondered: “Is this what love feels like? Is this how it begins? Am I even capable of this?” And then it happened, a moment seven episodes (or, some might argue, seven seasons) in the making. Deb, in a second of grief or frustration or any number of gnawing emotions, came to terms with Dexter’s Dark Passenger.

“Hannah McKay killed Sal Price,” she said stoically over the phone to her brother, as he lay next to a sleeping Hannah. “She’s gonna walk. She’s gonna get away with it. And we both know she’s gonna kill again. He didn’t deserve to die. I can’t let this happen. There has to be some f–king justice. It’s you, Dex… You know what I’m saying? She deserves it. I want you to make it right. Do what you do.”

Will Dexter do Deb’s bidding? Will he follow his heart? Is there perhaps a way for him to do both? Or, better yet, neither? Hit the comments with your thoughts on what Dex should do next!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps, Spoilers

1. Paul says:

Isaak will probably kill Hannah and Dexter will kill Isaak in return. Just a guess.

• DarkDefender says:

Dexter will need to use Hannah to help get at Isaak and kill him (or she will do it to protect him). Ultimately, Dexter will only Kill Hannah to save Deb.. It’s how is has to be. Since The previews look like LaGuerta is going to be on to Dex’s little hobby .. I’m expecting that “off camera accidental death of a female lead”.. that was spoiled months ago – to happen to Maria before she can tell anyone she suspects Dexter.

This season (so far) has been killer.

2. steve says:

Deb Accepting Dex is a Serial Killer is going to kill what life deb finding out gave the show imo. Also why are they repeating the same mistakes again Dex in a relation ship just does not work.

• Dylan says:

I think you look at it in the wrong manner. Deb accepting Dex as a serial killer IS the new life. To be quite honest I expected them to head in the direction of Deb telling Dex to take justice in his own hands towards the season finale but this is a brilliant position to put Dex in. Why drag out Deb as being unaccepting for the whole season when she can slowly evolve as a character and come to terms with his dark passenger? I think some people will be taken aback simply because of how quickly she came around but realistically she’s seen enough wrong doing in these seven episodes, as well as in previous seasons, to maybe come to terms a little faster than what we would expect. As for the relationship, Dex himself pointed out how Hannah accepts both sides of him, something none of his previous romantic interests have been capable of fully doing. I’m surprised how much I like Hannah to be honest as the last time Dexter was romantically involved with someone (Lumen) I hated the character. Something is different about Hannah in all the right ways to build a compelling storyline for the rest of this season. I had my doubts this season around episode 3 and 4 but the last two episodes have immediately given the show more life than it had all last season.

• Joe says:

The reason that you like Hannah is because Yvonne Strachovski is killing it. She’s sexy, dangerous and sincere in this role that could have been hokey in the wrong hands. After Chuck I thought she would be a one note attractive action star but this is showing me she’s so much more.

• Strepsi says:

Yes, she is actually doing amazing work, matching Dexter’s deadpan, sincere-yet-detached sociopathic tone. Her “confession” to the author was an incredible speech — crying real tears, breaking down in sobs — but we knew she was acting! It was watching an amazing actress playing an amazing actress: brilliant.

• claudio says:

Except, she was so much more than a one note attractive action star in Chuck. Her character Sarah Walker had probably the most compelling story arc of “Chuck” and was without a doubt the one that changed the most throughout the series run and she was really good at playing that role. In doing “Chuck” she had already proved that she’a a very good actress

• dane says:

@Dylan.. your points are SPOT ON. I am wondering if this is Dex coming full circle.. Deb becoming his new Harry. It’s amazing. And I do like Hannah.. I think she’s a great – albeit horribly sinister – character.

But ultimately the loyalty of the fans and Dexter’s own loyalty will always be with Deb. At least I HOPE so..

3. JennyS says:

As a fan of Yvonne Strahovski, I had huge expectations for her role on this show. She has managed to SURPASS those expectations. The most impressive thing is how differently she’s playing this role than she played Sarah Walker. Everything is different: from her mannerisms, her expressions, and even her voice/line delivery. She’s something special.

• DL says:

Her acting this past episode was just fantastic. I’m thinking Guest Actress Emmy nod.

• JennyS says:

Yeah me too. Hopefully Yvonne has enough name recognition to get a nomination this year. The guest actor/actress nominations usually go to the most famous names on the list and unfortunately, Yvonne’s name isn’t that big yet.

Some of the recent guest actress nominations have been based on name recognition only. Examples: Angela Lansbury and Carol Burnett for Law and Order: SVU and Jean Smart for 24. Smart was brilliant as a series regular in season 5, but her performance in her guest appearance in season 6 was wildly over-the-top, melodramatic, and out of character for her (plus her screen time was minimal).

So Hollywood, please nominate someone new for once!

4. MLO says:

I think this can only end one way – Dexter has to die, and it will be either Hannah or Isaak who does him in.

• Pat D. says:

Unless they are planning on keeping both or one of them for another season, that aint gonna happen….the show is inked for one more season. Unless they named it “Deb” for season 8, LOL.

5. Pat D. says:

I’m *almost* getting the sinking feeling that Dexter might choose Hannah over Deb, and Season 8 will be Deb bringing Dexter down. Perhaps after Deb manages to take out Hannah (this season). While it is a risky and compelling idea, I’m not sure I want the series to end with Deb killing Dexter or vice-versa.

6. Deion says:

Once again, the choice will be taken from Dexter. Issak is going to Target Hannah, but I’m pretty sure that by the time he gets her, the damage with Deb will be done. Now, if they dip back into the season 2 playbook and have Hannah kill Laguerta for Dexter, that will bother me a great deal.

7. A.B. says:

We all know how it will end with a dead rabbit in a boiling pot of water. “I will not be ignored Dexter”. He has to chose Deb over her. His two love have to beDev and Harrison.

8. Kay says:

My guess is that Hannah is going to kill laguerta by using a poison to protect Dexters secret.