America's Best Dance Crew Cancelled by MTV

America's Best Dance Crew CancelledAmerica’s Best Dance Crew has shaken its last leg.

After enduring seven seasons on MTV (and one PR minefield, when judge/choreographer Shane Sparks was the target of child molestation allegations unrelated to the program), the Randy Jackson-produced dance competition has been cancelled by MTV, Variety reports.

RELATED | MTV Renews Awkward For Super-Sized Season 3, Cancels Jersey Shore

ABDC — which enjoyed one of the better acronyms of any TV show — opened strong in 2008, averaging 2.7 million weekly viewers and a 2.5 rating in the cabler’s 12-34 target demo. This summer’s Season 7 finale, however, drew barely over a million viewers.

In a statement cited by Variety, MTV says, “We are grateful to Randy Jackson and [production studio] Warner Horizon for having brought our audience seven amazing seasons of dance… and look forward to more successful and dynamic entertaining collaborations in the future.”

RELATED | MTV Reunites Jersey Shore Cast for Live Hurricane Sandy Fundraiser

Were you a fan of ABDC? Where do you think it ranked amongst TV’s assorted dance competitions?

Comments (96)

• Don’t worry, they will have another sucking replacement within a year.

Comment by Jesse – November 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good one less talent show on tv, market is already way too saturated as it is

Comment by Alan – November 11, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but this was actually a good one!

Comment by Ashley – November 19, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by NikkiNicole – December 14, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This was my favorite show of all time they’ll be able to replace it

Comment by anna – February 11, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • mannn im rite there with ya. i loved this show and i hate that its been cancelled.

Comment by charlie – August 6, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know what made it so great in season 1 was because it was pure. Real dancers from the streets doing what they do everyday. Once they got away from it and started adding gimmick groups to boost the show to different groups of viewers, that’s when it went downhill.

Comment by Marc – March 22, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are 110% right, i been sAyin that for years. They were sooo worried about finding different types of gimmicky acts they lost focus, if they kept the same format as season one and two guarantee the show woulda went on a lot longer. I know for a fact some of the best b boy crews got turned down for complete crap, if b boy groups one seasons 1-3, maybe thats what people want to see, dont go changing it for no reason, if it aint broke sont fix it, well mtv tried to fix a show that wasnt broken at the time and now look what happens

Comment by Doug – March 31, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sucks for me. It’s one I really enjoyed.

Comment by Amanda – November 11, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.
      I never watched dancing with the stars, or other dancing shows. I really liked ABDC, though.

Comment by Ashley – November 19, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when amreican best dace c started we missing joseenrique.

Comment by joseenrique – April 30, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Randy saw the writing on the wall when he re-upped with Idol this year. That would have been quite a blow to lose both shows in one year, Dawg.

Comment by TV Gord – November 11, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the sagging DWTS ratings and SYTYCD probably getting cancelled, I guess it’s safe to say that the dancing show era is over.

Comment by brandon – November 11, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always enjoyed the creative talent on that show. It’s a shame there won’t be a place for dance crews to show off their talent.

Comment by Mary – November 11, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry to say you’re wrong Mary. There are tons and tons and tons of dance competitions, battles, showcases out there. Yea me, u, and millions of people “enjoyed the creative talent on that show,” but dancing never stops.

Comment by Knovie – November 15, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww man that sucks big time!!! I really enjoyed that show. This show was the main reason I watched the Step Up movies. The creative talents on that show were just so awesome to watch. It gave us Jabbawockeez and Quest Crew for crying out loud!!

Comment by Justin – November 11, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABDC isn’t an acronym because you don’t say it as a word. It’s just initials if you say A B D C

Comment by Edward Smartypants – November 11, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Still an acronym….doesn’t have to spell a word. Think “CEO”

Comment by Learn before you post... – November 12, 2012 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CEO isn’t an acronym…they’re just initials…Mr. Smartypants is right… But anyway…ABDC was one of the only shows I looked forward to seeing and after the 3rd season it just lost it’s flavor. I don’t even remember who won after season 3 -_-

Comment by Doppelganger – April 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna miss this show :(

Comment by Christian – November 11, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • am joseenrique and me am gonna miss di show.

Comment by joseenrique – April 30, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This can’t be canceled it was where te ICONic Boyz made history!!:(

Comment by Ana gomez – November 11, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FINALLY someone <3 #iconiac

Comment by Chery Jamieson (@CheryJamieson) – November 11, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure The Iconic Boyz were the main contributing factor as to why people stopped watching. That finale was such a one sided victory, that it was painful to watch. The judges and/or producers hyped them up and pushed them into the final 3. There were so many other crews more worthy of progressing.

It’s a shame. This was one of my favorite shows, and I looked forward to it. Except for that last season when they brought Fanny Pack back…. yet another crew that was over hyped and pushed forward.

Jabbawockeez, Quest, & Break Skate 4 Life!

Comment by Jaime Laca – December 15, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hear you. I loved the ICONic Boyz<3 and then after them i started to watch the show again…. I don't want ABDC to be cancelled this was a really good show.D,:

Comment by Aly – December 25, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it…My crew was hoping to someday be on the show. Just the thought of being on it made us smile and inspired us. Poreotics and Quest crew are our biggest inspirations and now it’s like we have no freakin reason to dance….except for going to Hip Hop Int’l and World of Dance…if those air on TV someone better tell me right now!

Comment by Sydney – November 11, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sydney, let dancing and what it is you love so much be an inspiration. I’m a dancer myself. I know how you feel with HHI and WOD. You know our dance season never stops! All we can do is do what we love to do, and just bring it.

Comment by Knovie – November 15, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow.. You took the words right out my mouth. I can’t believe this, I just feel like crying but I hope to make it out there in some other way with my dancing.

Comment by Destiny – March 3, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The choreography that these crews displayed was something awesome to behold. Truly great work done by actually talented dancers – not “stars” people left to the pop culture dumpster.

Comment by Kathleen – November 11, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aww – that’s too bad. This season was the first time I watched this show and I really enjoyed it. It would be nice if another channel picked it up.

Comment by big cheddar – November 11, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg. Me and my sisters were gonna be on the show someday. Its where our idols the ICONic Boyz started out on and we wanted to be just like them. 😫

Comment by ICONicgirl237 – November 11, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if they had updated the judges with each season…. JC Chasez and Little Mama? Hardly relevant anymore. I liked Dom(D-Trix) though. Now maybe he can be a Star dancer on SYTYCD or another show. Loved him on SYTYCD and his whole crew, especially the guy that did hair!

Comment by Anne – November 11, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • D-Trix was actually a contest on SYTYCD a few years back, along with Quest Crew buddy Hawk. He did well and I think he made the top 6.

Comment by YT – December 9, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, he was an All-Star too. Maybe he’ll get to be an All-Star again. Unless we are gonna loose SYTYCD too….

Comment by NikkiNicole – December 14, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add me to the sadder set of commenters, though I enjoyed the first 2 seasons and crews (or remember more of the non-winning crews) much more than the latter ones. This show brought a smile to my face when I’d see the creativity, athleticism, skill, and enthusiasm of the people comprising the crews. My favorite crew, though not the absolute best, was Fanny Pak in their original run. I didn’t watch enough other dance competitions to be informed enough to rank it.

Comment by Winnie – November 11, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG NOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS…I’ve always dreamed of being on the show, and ive worked super hard to be the best dancer that i can be,,but now I guess that’ll never happen…. :((

Comment by angel – November 11, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not necessarily Angel. I mean there are loads of dance battles, competitions, showcases, and things you can do as in individual in the dance world. Sure ABDC being cancelled is saddening, but there are other stuff out there not shown on tv.

Comment by Knovie – November 15, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last couple of seasons were horrific so I saw this coming!

Comment by Dee – November 11, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The last two to three seasons were really boring. Also the one with the all girl group that won the championship. I was going to happen eventually the show lost it’s luster.

Comment by karen – November 14, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the first two seasons and loved them, but their quality of groups severely declined in the years following. Unoriginal and basic, and they would never be as good as the originals. This actually should have been cancelled sooner.

Comment by YowzaPowza – November 11, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haven’t watched since an early season when Fanny Pak was robbed of the title.

Comment by Ashley – November 11, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, Lil Mama’s going to actually now have to do another album to still be relevant?

Comment by Evan – November 12, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What really sucks, is that me and my crew were going audition for the show. Cant anymore.

Comment by Kitty – November 12, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL at all the retards who were gonna dance on this show with their “crew”.

Comment by Smelly Feet & Farts – November 12, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This would seem easy for most of the viewers that are not dancers. But could you imagine how many hearts are broken from dancers. The dancers that auditioned and said “we’ll make it on that show some day” ABDC is a big part of a dancer’s life. So many dancers who got inspired to dance on that show can’t anymore. It feels like when people thought that street dancers were worthless… ABDC was hope for those dancers.. proving to people that their more. ABDC made history with so many different styles… and could have still kept making history. Every year i looked forward to this show. And planned to audition and have hope to be on the show. Many dancers had hope.

Comment by dancer831 – November 12, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s no like button for your comment, so I’m liking it through a reply post. Nicely said :)

Comment by Knovie – November 15, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I second that!

Comment by NikkiNicole – December 14, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YAH MY 11 YR OLD IS A BBOY DANCER BEEN WATCHING ABDC 4 ALL THESE YEARS N NOW HES OLD ENOUGH HE WAS GOING TO AUDITION THIS YEAR OMG HE IS DISTRAUGHT THAT WAS HIS DREAM N I HONESTLY BELIEVE HE COULD OF WON HES BEEN BREAKDANCING N EVERYTHING SINCE HE COULD WALK!!!SO SAD I HOPE THEY BRING IT BACK FOR MY SONS DREAM TO FINALLY COME TRUE….:(((((

Comment by VICTORIA – February 9, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. Being a dancer your whole life changes how dancing shows are. They inspire you more and give you new things to try. 1season was amazing and I loved iAmMe.! Now that StepUp is over with and ABDC is done, I’m real disappointed. Hopefully they’ll come up with something new soon….

Comment by Kbt1434 – June 1, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’M SO SAD I LOVED THIS SHOW :(

Comment by Elizaaaa – December 9, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please randy jackson come help 2 bling back dis show.

Comment by joseenrique – April 30, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really shocked and upset that they cancelled this show! But i’m not surprised that this past season didnt bring in many viewers. As much as i love this show the past two seasons have been shorter and less exciting. Quite frankly, i liked it more when they did regionals and narrowed it down in each region then brought them all together in Nationals to battle. It was longer but way more interesting. But I will miss this show a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kayla Denise – December 14, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS SUCKS i fell in love with that show, thanks to I aM E. i was left with the desire to see more every episode and was in awe of every crews talent. MTV is becoming the worst chanel right now, due to Teen mom, jersey shore, the pauly d project, and snookie + jwoww. they better bring back ABDC or everyone will forget about MTV. I actually thought they cared about their viewers… guess i and millions of others… were wrong.

Comment by nick fekette – December 23, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur…..because, truth be told, thats the only reason and the only time I watched MTV any freakin way……..all those other shows SUCK!!!! I can name a few that deserved to be cancled more than ABDC

Comment by Nicey – January 25, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree they should uncancel ABDC because love watching the show on every Thurseday.
    why do they have to cancel the show on MTV WHY WHY?

Comment by Michael Thanh Vuong – January 10, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it. I loved that show. I looked forward to it every year. No other show was like it. Now I am sad.

Comment by Bubba – January 12, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABDC SHOWED ME A WHOLE NOTHER SIDE TO DANCE SO I HATE IT HAS TO END IT WAS REALLY THE ONLY COMPETITION SHOW I WATCHED…BESIDES I FELT BEAF FREAKS SHOULD’VE CAME BACK AND GOT WHAT THEY DESERVED…IJS LOL

Comment by T – January 15, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw those crews, It would still be on if Beat Freakz ended a bit stronger and won!! Jabbawockeez & Beat Freakz 4 life!! & IaMmE :-)

Comment by Daniel – January 19, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t believe this. Nomore Dominic ? He was my favorite part of the show ! I really loved the show though. Quest crew will always be my favorite, cant believe all the success this show brought to the crews. And MTV is taking that away ? Shame.

Comment by Clarisse – January 22, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOWWWW!!!!! I for one am Extremely!!!!! SAD to see the show gone……..BOOOOO!!! I Loved that show, and it provided a great opportunity to young artist who, had it not been for this show would probably not have had this type of exposure afforded them otherwise.
    NICEY

Comment by Nicey – January 25, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pshh if you’re dancing to be on some show you should quit.
    Dance is an artform not a fame search
    You should be ashamed of only dancing for a show.
    But one underground event all people of the REAL. Hip hop culture is IBE in the Netherlands hopland

Comment by dj – January 27, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope MTV brings ABDC back..I watch jabbawokeez,beat freakz,we r heros and I am me on u tube all tha time and wouldn’t knw how amazing they r if it wasn’t 4 ABDC…come on MTV get it 2gether and keep it goin’ 4 dance lovers around tha world-

Comment by Crystal – January 28, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also if shows like 16 and pregnant are getting more ratings then abdc there is something really wrong w/ tha majority of mtv’s viewers.I’d much rather watch people from around tha world showcase their talent then a bunch of lil girls that have no buisness being pregnant or mothers for that matter.I could go on further about the number of mtv’s programs that aren’t worth air time.WE WANT ABDC BACK!!!!!!!

Comment by Crystal – January 28, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I will miss this show! I love ABDC! I was waiting all the year to see ABDC season 8, the last season was excellent! There was amazing dance rutines. We want ABDC back! Please :’)

Comment by Jessica – February 3, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think MTV really screwed up by cancelling ABDC. They are ruining all kids dreams. They should get the show back. It gave children, teens, and young adults something to work for. I really liked the show. I have 4 daughters who because of the show started doing dances together and getting along. MTV now sucks once again. I stopped watching them when they started sucking and then the show brought me back to MTV. Now I won’t be watching the channel anymore. Thanks a lot

Comment by Krystal – February 6, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CANT BELIEVE THEY ARE CANCELLING ME N MY SONS FAVORITE SHOW MY SONS A BBOY DANCER N WAS GOING TO AUDITION FOR ABDC THIS YEAR SO SAD:((PLZ COME BACK!!!!!!

Comment by VICTORIA – February 9, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been dancing ever since I was 10, my biggest dream was to be able to dance on the ABDC stage, that was my dream for years, now Im lost. ABDC was the only talent show I loved. I bet Im not alone in that, ABDC gave children, adults and teens alike something to work for, a motivation, a dream, ABDC was one of the hreatest opportunities and now its gone. :( Im disappointed in mtv, no more watching it anymore
    I.aM.mE and Chachi <3

Comment by Angelica – February 16, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I idolized, and politely must disagree with all the messages that say the last two seasons lost their luster. Phunk Phenomenon vs. IamMe was so evil, it should’ve been those two in the finale. However I’m 15, and Iconic Boys showed me that boys my age are actually doing things. Then 8Flavahs came on and were lighting up the stage while Electroylytes just blew me away. Jabbawockees inspired me to start spinning on my head, and now I find the sensation unlike any other. I dance because I love it, but also to show many people that it isn’t just something you can do, anyone can dance, but how can we see that MTV if these dancers can’t showcase. I don’t have the money to travel to all these different places with school, no car, and my parents each working so we can live. I practice dancing in my backyard during the summer, flipping to music I hear in my head because I can’t afford an Ipod, and I don’t have an extension cord for my radio, let alone that would annoy my neighbors. So whoever is in charge, I know that not having a million viewers is bad for busness, but it may also be that giving away 100,000 may have hurt you? So how about you cancel all the crap other people are telling you to cancel, and theirs your money. Increase the showtimes, and you have a solution. Again I loved this show, and salute every dance crew that got up here, and every single person that tried. You inspire me, and I hope that in the future, when I’m much better off, that I can showcase talent like this without any dumb exectutives to cancel my show, and people of any amount can watch, whether a million or just one person cahnnel-surfing. Please MTV, or any other channel, a channel full of garbage will eventually decompse. Yes I actually said that. To all future dancers or people who read this, stay strong, and I’ll see you when I can. The name of my show will be called, “Express.” Interpret that the way you want…=) *Quest Crew Salute*

Comment by JustaDancer – February 16, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the worst

Comment by caleb – March 1, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is very disappointing. Even though it was just another talent show, it was a darn good one. Every show made me “oo” and “ah”. I’m sad it has to end.

Comment by Trey – March 18, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite show on tv… mostly because it was finally a show that judged bboying and hiphop group dancing fairly. On SYTYCD judges knew nothing about hiphop or bboying, so the show is scares with breakdancing talent, and on dancing with the stars no hiphop is represented at all.

Comment by Moon – March 31, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the show cancelled cause MOS WANTED got booted off…easy fix..GET JUDGES WHO KNOW HOW TO DANCE…the only person who knew how to dance was Dtrix, and even then idk if he’s had formal training, at least he’s go experience…lil’mama…nice to everybody w/ usless, unaffiliated comments…J…ex:member of a washed up boyband…does that mean he’s a qualified judge?

Comment by Jesse – April 1, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the show……the reason they only had 100 million viewers was probably because everyone knew that they could catch it again since MTV shows the same shows over n over again…..just saying….

Comment by Shannon – April 18, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the show better than dancing with stars or so u think u can dance or the other ones

Comment by Dougie – April 25, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was one the best dance show I’ve ever seen. I’m very sad that show has ended.

Comment by lori lillard – April 29, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • am crying becoz my show is cancle, why why.

Comment by joseenrique – April 30, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring this dance show back. We complain about children not moving and exercising their bodies in America and this is one show that motivates the children to get up and move. It also shows the boys that dancing is not just for girls. Dancing is for everyone!

Comment by Valerie – May 16, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post