What to Watch: 5 Web Series Worth Checking Out

Holy frak, we are positively giddy today. The release of the first two prequel chapters of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica are live online, and we’re already hooked! Plus, Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation) wins mom-of-the-year in our book, and a clever new musical series delights with its quirky humor.

PBS Off BookOne of our favorite docu-web series, Off Book takes a look at retro media like vinyl, VHS, film and cassettes and reminds us why those formats can often produce a much more memorable experience than digital video or digital music. The irony of the fact that this show is produced via digital video? Not lost on us.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome | Toasters, Raptors and Vipers, oh my! Everything that we loved about the reimagined Battlestar Galactica is back — and then some. It’s 10 years into the Cylon War and a hotshot rookie pilot named William Adama (Luke Pasqualino) is assigned to the Galactica to do “milk runs” on a Raptor (a Gods-damned Raptor) as a means to knock a bit of the cockiness out of him. He’s paired up with a war weary co-pilot, Coker Fasjovik (Ben Cotton). Stop everything you’re doing and watch now (and prepare for goosebumps at around the 4:20 mark in Episode 1!).

Ask AmyPoehler offers advice to teenagers (and those of us who sometimes feel like teenagers) on such topics as how to handle anxiety and how to talk to your parents. The latest episode features her advice on how to make good decisions. Poehler answers each question with wisdom and a hypnotizing sweetness that makes us wish we had her around to reassure us when life gets a little rough.

cdza In each episode of this imaginative series, a collection of talented musicians (typically students) tackles a different musical subject, from how to get kids into classical music to the history of whistling. With humor and artistic flare to spare, a quintet of singers produces a medley of misheard lyrics in their latest episode. Can you guess from which pop song contains the misheard lyrics “I’m insane at the sound of Microsoft?”

Bring It to the Table At a simple table draped in an American flag tablecloth, citizens of the U.S. talk about what they believe in and why. Topics range from welfare to abortion, and guests use the flower vase in the center of the table to visually indicate which way they lean politically. Maybe even more interesting than the show is the story behind the show: Filmmaker Julie Winokur created the series out of a desire to take a closer look at her own prejudices after her son accused her of being the “most intolerant person” he’d ever met.

Comments (15)

• Blood and Chrome was as awesome as expected. Too bad Syfy has done all they can to kill off shows like this.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 9, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Just seeing the Galactica in all its former glory gave me chills. Too bad SyFy did not follow through.

Comment by eridapo – November 9, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzie Bennett Diaries?? You should be watching this!

Comment by sarah – November 9, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seconded. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries are intelligent, funny, well acted and just all in all amazing. I’ve converted so many people already.

Comment by Mairead – November 9, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!! I am on a mission to convince everyone I know to watch the Lizzie Bennet Diaries!!!

Comment by Emma – November 9, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is literally the first or second comment every single time they post a web series article. I think it’s time they took the hint and maybe checked it out.

Comment by Anon – November 9, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blood and Chrome is fantastic! The casting for young Adama is perfect, the eyes are so similar! Can’t wait for more :)

Comment by Alyssa – November 9, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. They chose the perfect actor for this. I like that for me at least, he is an unknown. So he can own this role. I don’t understand why SyFy passed on this, and somebody tell me why some network isn’t snatching up this baby and making it a series!?

Comment by mdaily – November 10, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzie Bennet Diaries!! I started watching it when it was on the comment section in the last web series article and it is so good.

Comment by Krista – November 9, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • aaaargh !!! all those BSG feeeelzzzzz !!!!

Comment by Lilu – November 10, 2012 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if the article is about only on going series but Dr0ne is fantastic
    Same can be said about Halo Forward Unto Dawn

Comment by alex – November 10, 2012 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is streets ahead. Watch it.

Comment by Kristin – November 10, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re not watching it, you’re streets behind.

Comment by mayiread – November 10, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lizzie Bennet! It’s so good!

Comment by Marz – November 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m slowly becoming a fan of Model Wife. It’s on Blip and as I can’t get a lot of English language TV where I live I find web series like this a good alternative. I’ll have to check this Lizzie Bennet diaries tho’, sounds good.

Comment by Jez in Madrid – November 13, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post