The X Factor Top 13 Results Recap: Did the Right Act Go Home This Week?

It’s got to be a particularly painful experience being the first Season 2 X Factor contestant booted by viewer votes.

“Wait, America? You’re breaking up with me? Seriously?”
“Yeah, sorry to say.”
“But we only had one date!”
“I know. It’s not me, it’s you.”
“Wait, don’t you mean…”
“Are you going to exit gracefully, or do I need to sic that Kardashian chick on you?”

Cue sad trombone.

Actually, cue Mario Lopez, as he introduces a Pepsi ad starring One Direction and Drew Brees… Wait, dude did not just try to act as if a message from our sponsor was part of the telecast, did he? Of course, he did, it’s The X Factor! Somebody’s got to pay Britney Spears for delivering her critiques into the giant green screen she’s imagining is in front of her at all times.

Let’s get to the results.

Sent to safety IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER…
Arin Ray
Paige Thomas (uh-oh, bad news for CeCe)
Diamond White
Vino Alan (uh-oh, bad news for Jason)
Jennel Garcia

And now a word from that Kardashian woman: “How hot is One Direction?” (Yes, we sent Steve Jones to the trash heap for this. At least he had stunning cheekbones!)

Also safe…
Carly Rose Sonenclar
Lyric 145
A slice of America (aka Tate Stevens)
Beatrice Miller
Fifth Harmony

Bottom 2/Sing for Survival
CeCe Frey: Cher’s “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me” | Lyrics like “This is far from over, you haven’t seen the last of me” are far more depressing than inspirational when they’re being delievered in a nervous warble that’s hitting maybe one out of every five notes. Girlfriend’s voice was, alas, “pushed way past the point of breaking.” (Side note: Didn’t CeCe’s hair look like she’d beeen sent to the stage in the middle of a hair-coloring treatment? Tragique!)

Jason Brock: Life was once again a cabaret for Jason as he delivered a stripped down, slowed down twist on “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” But my word, his tone and grasp on pitch were 1,000 times more on point than CeCe. To paraphrase Aretha Franklin, ain’t no way he should be exiting stage left before the girl with the leopard-print non-tattoo.

Judges Vote on Who to Send Home
Demi: Jason Brock
L.A.: CeCe Frey
Britney: CeCe Frey
Simon: Jason Brack

And thus, the decision moved to “Deadlock” — with America’s lowest vote-getter Jason Brock getting the axe. “I did it for the gays and Japan!” declared Jason.

Finally, our hostbots announced the voting order for how the Top 12 acts placed this week — an interesting twist, although I’ve got to admit the information left me scratching my head a bit.

12. CeCe Frey
11. Arin Ray
10. Beatrice Miller
9. Lyric 145
8. Paige Thomas
7. Jennel Garcia
6. Emblem3
5. Fifth Harmony
4. Diamond White
3. Vino Alan
2. Carly Rose Sonenclar
1. A slice of America (aka Tate Stevens)

And with that, I turn it over to you.

Did the right person go home this week? Was America correct with its Bottom 2 selection? How about the overall vote tallies? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

p.s. Due to Hurricane Sandy leaving me without cable and internet for six days, there’ll be no new Reality Check till next Monday. Last week’s kick-awesome episode, however, is embedded below!

1. JJMichael says:

How can anyone say CeCe cant sing?! She is an amazing vocalist, who can, and has sold records, and has even wrote a song she sang earning herself the top song for weeks across major radio stations. And prior to XFactor removing all videos off the web, CECe haa already been produced in high production music videos. Lets not forger either that CECE is the only contestant to pick very difficult songs to sing. And the reason she tackleshard songs is because shes the only contestant who can. If she picked easy songs like the rest, than every note would be spot on. Not to factor in the nerves and pressure. Bad editing made her out to be a bitch, but being a contestant myself, the producers coach and tell u what to say and acr. Plus she shows much more determination and dedication than all other singers, and that can sometimes be misconstrued. And not lets forget that over the years Simon is always advising singers to step out of theie comfort zone and do something fresh and different, and daring. Thats all CECEs doing. No single artist out there can sing all forms of Music perfectly, but at least shes daring. Vocally CECE and Diamond are the only singers that are amazing and have the xfactor. I agree all acts are good, but not over the top bone chilling as CECE and Diamond. I hear good singers al the time, but over the top, excellent singers are rare. And this time I can say Fox was lucky to have found 2.

2. akil says:

simon voted out jason brack? well that makes it jason brock 1, cece frey 2, jason brack 1. THIS COMPETITION IS RIGGED I TELL YOU!

3. CrimTV says:

I personally love CeCe, yes she defiantly doesn’t have the strongest voice in the competition, but she is one of only a few I could see on stage and be successful, i mean not many popular artists can sing very well live (bar a few). I was very happy that she stayed, but dissapointed that she was in the bottom 2, but I wasn’t shocked because of the horrible song choices. Very shocked at Beatrice, Arin and Lyric 145’s low placings, and I hate Emblem3! Very shocked at Tate’s high placing!

• FreeHaley says:

Generally agree with that, although Emblem 3 isn’t really that bad at all but I can see how they could have annoyed some (and hey, they are a boy band haha).
      But I basically had a feeling CeCe was doomed the second I noticed “Eye of the Tiger” was the choice. It is one of those songs that hardly anyone can actually make a true wow moment out of of the sort she needed after all the harsh early edits that surely left her with a smaller starting voting base than many others. It may sound like a cool and workable choice but only a few types of singers singing in a very specific way could have a prayer to get a wow factor out of it I think. A bit of a shame since if anyone needed the perfect song choice early on it was her.

And it really didn’t seem like it was the sort of song that could showcase the best parts of her voice all that easily. The choice the week before wasn’t the single best show case for her voice either but it at least worked a good deal better overall. Her save songs were more able to show her voice. Sounded like the save from last week was super good, although I only caught a few seconds, the main clip on x-factor they mistakenly repeated this week’s save again.

Arin probably never built up any early voting base since I thought he was generally one of the weaker contestants all along so finally having a strong week wasn’t enough just like that.

I’ve already said too much about Beatrice being so low.

4. Sami says:

WOW! Just came across this guy’s X-factor’s coverage. He actually rated Carly Rose as the 12th best audition and 3rd best of Britney’s team at judges houses. Now he’s snarking on her tearing up?

Does this clown get paid to write this stuff? #clueless

5. FreeHaley says:

Wow, utterly stunned by the top 12 ordering. Tate has been boooooring until this week and even this week while he was back for sure and it was good I almost feel like maybe Tom Cruise did that song with a bit more fire and he is not even a singer so how Tate is #1 hmm. I actually had him #13 overall so far. I fear it will be like AI where anything country goes far.
    Totally bummed that Beatrice was so far down, #10??? Wow, I thought she’d be like top 2.
    I’d have gone, weighting more heavily to this weak but also taking into account overall and potential:
    1. Beatrice
    2. Carly
    3. Diamond
    4. Paige
    5. Lyric
    6. Emblem
    7. Vino
    8. Janelle (was maybe a touch too copycat and yet not managing the yowls and stuff Joan Jett could do)
    9. Fifth
    10. CeCe (not sure she got the best song choice and setup, she has shown she can sing really well and do much better than 10th but what they have done for her for the actual performances hasn’t been quite the best for her perhaps)
    11. Aron (he did better than CeCe this week for sure but I don’t think he has as great of a maximum potential overall so putting him lower)
    12. Jason (hard to place him, he did come across kinda loungy and it didn’t really seem to quite work for a pop star setup but at times he voice has been quite good so I don’t know)
    13. Tate (overall all this week alone I’d definitely put him ahead of Jason)

It is sort of hard to say though really other than I think Beatrice needed to be wayyyy the heck higher than #10 and Tate quite a few lower and Lyric shoulda been higher too. Gets trickier after that.

One thing that may have hurt is Beatrice’s whole state has pretty much been devastated. I know I didn’t get to watch any of the first two weeks of live performances much less even think about voting so she did basically get, most likely, nearly zero home town votes this week I’d guess so perhaps she can bounce back up?? Most of her state was powerless and TV-less even still this week when voting occurred.

• FreeHaley says:

Actually I’m not so sure about my ranking above, Carly has been good but I wasn’t quite as impressed the last two weeks as I expected to be, especially not last week. Diamond was maybe a bit nearing straining on some notes it seemed, but she has done very well most of time and did have a lot of good parts this week too, certainly very glad they brought her back. I was shocked LA dumped Corey and surprised Diamond got sent home too. I don’t know. Arin had seemed weak all along but he actually did do quite well this week, but I still left him low since it was like the first time he had even seemed on par.

I guess mostly I was just stunned that #1 was Tate and ultra stunned that Beatrice was near the bottom instead of at or near the top, I really thought she’d be an early favorite to win it all. And I figured Lyric would be a bit higher (still like their judge’s house performance the best, followed by this week’s, the week before they pulled off fine but it was not at all my favorite song choice).

Just hope the fact that nobody in NJ had power is what dropped Beatrice so low this week and that it is nothing more (and not that people are just not connecting with her for who knows why or that the TriState area simply doesn’t have enough votes to help more than one contestant, if even, and that they have picked Carly over Beatrice and that leaves nothing left or even that it is some Middle America horror at her two moms plus NJ or something further hurting, that would be awful and a real shame). I don’t, myself, know anyone in NJ who got to see either of the first two weeks of live performances or vote.