Report: AMC Poised to Un-Cancel The Killing

Get More: Cancellations, News

This story is taking on more twists and turns than the Rosie Larsen murder mystery.

Three months after TVLine first broke the news that Netflix was in early talks to resurrect AMC’s cancelled serial thriller The Killing, the ink on the deal is nearly dry.

But in a surprising twist, the new season would actually air on AMC first, per our sister site Deadline.

SCOOP | Fresh Spoilers on Once Upon a Time, Scandal, NCIS and More in Matt’s Inside Line!

The pact would call for AMC to share the cost of a third season with Netflix, with the cabler getting first crack at airing the new episodes. This mirrors the similar (and successful) split-window arrangement NBC and DirecTV had with Friday Night Lights.

In an interview over the summer, leading man Joel Kinnaman (who, like co-star Mireille Enos, is already signed on for Season 3) told TVLine that he believed that there was life in the show beyond the Rosie Larsen whodunit that dominated the first two seasons. “We’ve invested a lot in these characters and want to see how they continue their journey,” he said. “I feel like Linden and Holder [are] just [getting] started.”

Would you watch a third season of The Killing?

Tags: ,

Comments (104)

• AMC bigwigs are getting way too excited about the numbers for TWD. No one’s gonna watch this.

Comment by joe – November 8, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will. :-)

Comment by Simon Jester – November 8, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me two

Comment by Larry – November 8, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Me three!

Comment by Chloe – November 8, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m in!

Comment by erica – November 8, 2012 05:14 PM PDT
      • I loved this show. I will not miss an episode.

Comment by Becky Vann – November 9, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, well, I’LL be there with bells on. Maybe wrasslin would be better for you?

Comment by Piquerish (@Piquerish) – November 24, 2012 12:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll watch.

Comment by Cristina – November 8, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d watch!

Comment by Carrie – November 8, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m definitely planning on it.

Comment by Olive – November 9, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What are you saying? I WILL definitely watch this show!!!

Comment by Deborah Morrow (@DebbyMorrow) – November 9, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Count me in!!

Comment by Magically Suspicious – November 9, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For sure my husband and I will watch. Superb show.

Comment by Kathy Wikman – November 13, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I’m here trying to see why it is not airing yet.

Comment by Warren – November 27, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s TWD? If you’re saying no one will watch the killing.you’re a fu*king idiot.
      I loved that show.

Comment by Karl – November 27, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anyone who understands character development and story arc will watch this show over any shock value program. The Killing took two seasons to reveal the killer — so be it! That created much more tension than any other show on TV. It’s suspense, drama, and captivation, not consensus and financial numbers. Bring the show back and it’ll bring viewers.

Comment by Michael Summaria – November 29, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only way this is good news is if Veena Sud has nothing to do with it.

Comment by Superhero – November 8, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. I’d love to watch if I knew she was no longer running the show.

Comment by DL – November 8, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, why aren’t we getting that info?

Comment by KevyB – November 8, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I admit to total ignorance respecting Veena Sud. Has she committed crimes against humanity, voter fraud, removed the tags from her mattress…? What’s the deal?

Comment by Piquerish (@Piquerish) – November 24, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • whats the beef with Veena Sud? curious about the animosity

Comment by mike – November 25, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what did Veena Sud do?

Comment by mmmofti – November 25, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made my day. Fantastic news.

Comment by jimbo – November 8, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A whodunit mystery series is just the thing lacking from my watchlist. Now, I hope they don’t drag it into two seasons with people staring at walls, sobbing in the corner, or abandoning children here and there.

Comment by Leo – November 8, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What fantastic news! Hope it actually happens this way.

Comment by Bobbi – November 8, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, this was a fantastic show! Perfect, no. Was it handled perfectly? No. Is it a show for the impatient? Absolutely not. But it had great story and amazing performances! So glad to see it back!

Comment by MrMank – November 8, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news, Kinnaman and Enos have incredible chemistry as Holder and Linden. I hope the show stays on for a long while and explores these characters, new cases and takes through even more chilling cases. I enjoy this show immensely and I hope it does come back.

Comment by Kenneth – November 8, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! I will watch the show for Linden & Holder, who are awesome together!

Comment by Raina W – November 8, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Linder and Holder were the best thing about The Killing. Would definitely pay to see more of them.

Comment by Elizabeth – November 8, 2012 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Great news! Season 2 was brilliant.

Comment by Mari – November 8, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix should revive The River and Jericho.

Comment by Teag – November 8, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome news! now, they can get away for damn Larsen case and move onto another – learn from their damn mistakes. too much potential.

Comment by Joe – November 8, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would ABSOLUTELY watch! I was so disappointed when the show was canceled! This is very exciting news!

Comment by Erin – November 8, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I for one liked the first two seasons and liked the format. I don’t know why people expected the killer to be revealed in the 13th episode of the first season. That makes no sense. Had it been a 26 episode season, then the 13th would have just been a cliffhanger between blocks.

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 8, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    Why are they trying to bring back this show? The first season was good, the second not so much. Why do we need a 3rd?

Comment by nguber – November 8, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell? This is an M. Night Shylamalon level twist. Looking forward to the show going on, though.

Comment by TigerNightmare – November 8, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love for The Killing to return. Linden & Holder are a great team. This show is magic.

Comment by Christie – November 8, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if it’s on AMC, I’m watching!

Comment by Lisa – November 8, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huh.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 8, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hell yeah!

Comment by adam – November 8, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This made my night (as well as a killer episode of American Horror Story!). I really hope it gets brought back to life, the show and talent involved deserves it. Hell, I deserve it!

Comment by Sam – November 8, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER! I love this show!

Comment by Goat Girl – November 8, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed this show and would definitely watch. They are airing the third season of the Danish version now.

Comment by Chuck Finley (AJ) – November 8, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll only watch it if it is either a reboot (i,e, same main characters but completely new approach) or at least an vast improvement.

Comment by Sareeta – November 8, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the words of Holder, I’d definitely watch a 3rd season, “nahm sayin?’” haha He and Jessie, from Breaking Bad, would be a great combo to watch have an ‘intellectual’ conversation ;-)

Comment by Graf – November 8, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WILL WATCH !!!

Comment by Denise Flynn – November 8, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Bring everyone and everything back. Stupid people expecting a resolution at the end of the season because that’s what tv shows do how dare this one be different be damned.

Comment by cj – November 8, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please be true. Really liked this show alot.

Comment by Brian Sanderson (@bsanderson) – November 8, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I support this only for Joel Kinnaman. He ended up carrying the show. Mireille Enos was great too, but Holder is the only reason I’d even consider tuning back in.

Comment by Emily – November 8, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah…..I’ll watch. Now, if only they renew Hell on Wheels for a 3rd season. It was renewed and then AMC backtracked because the “show runner” quit.

Comment by Kat – November 8, 2012 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never seen a show have so much Hype the first season and bottom out so fast in the 2nd. It was incredible to watch the rise and fall of The Killing

Comment by gary – November 8, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in. And still holding out hope Netflix will make the same kind of deal for Awake with Jason Isaacs. I know – some dreams die hard.

Comment by Linderella – November 8, 2012 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dont worry your not as bad as the people holding out hope Netflix will revive Jericho

Comment by gary – November 8, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Happy about this .

Comment by Carrie – November 8, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would rather have had them revive Terriers.

Comment by Mike – November 8, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVED Terriers!!

Comment by erica – November 8, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m happy about The Killing, but would be THRILLED if they revived Terriers!

Comment by Bobbi – November 9, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d donate to that cause.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – November 9, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch too. Love Linden and Holder!

Comment by Holly – November 8, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First Unforgettable, now this. Any chance Syfy ight uncancel Caprica or Stargate Universe? :(

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 8, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
      When skiffy kills a show, it pretty much stays dead.

Comment by keja – November 8, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell yes!

Comment by NaboCane – November 8, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is more exciting than the show itself.

Comment by Mina – November 8, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of all the great hsows for Netflix to bring back this is not one of them I would have hoped for.

Comment by Midori004 – November 8, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now can someone un-cancel AMC (All My Children)?

Comment by JamandaFan – November 8, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely watch. Especially if Joel Kinnaman is still on it. He made the show in my opinion. Nothing like the Linden & Holder duo!

Comment by Deeda – November 8, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so shocked and happy to hear that this show will be back. I miss the Linden and Holder dynamic. I just hope the storyline really goes somewhere shocking.

Comment by Danielle – November 8, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pumped…AMC knows whats up

Comment by Jay – November 8, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I do hope they pick up the pace a bit (and I’m a patient person, not everything has to happen in an episode… but a 13 episode season more like it)

Comment by Annika – November 8, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesomeness!

Comment by Olive – November 9, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved The Killing! It might not have been as fast paced as some other drama’s, but I liked the fact they took there time in discovering who the killer was, as I’m sure in real life not all killers are unmasked in under an hour!!

Comment by Lisa. – November 9, 2012 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If your going to un-cancel a show, it should be Rubicon, not this boring CSI knock off.

Comment by Truth – November 9, 2012 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch it I was upset that they cancelled it

Comment by Nancy – November 9, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely watch!

Comment by Claudia – November 9, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK RUBICON!

Comment by JKR – November 9, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in, love this show. Been missing Linden and Holder.

Comment by Luvmygreys – November 9, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hell yes – we’ll watch it here in the uk! brilliant series – love holder & linden. veena sud needs to go tho’.joel and mireille are brilliant together!

Comment by jane simpson – November 10, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I *adore* The Killing! So happy to hear this. :)

Comment by ElsieM – November 14, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post