Midseason Scoop: The Carrie Diaries Gets CW Premiere Date, 90210 on the Move

The Carrie Diaries Premiere DateCarrie Bradshaw is moving in on 90210‘s turf.

The CW announced Thursday that its Sex and the Sequel prequel series The Carrie Diaries will debut on Monday, Jan. 14 at 8/7c.

That same night, 90210 — which currently occupies the Monday lead-off spot — will shift into its new 9/8c perch (formerly held down by Gossip Girl, which ends its run on Monday, Dec. 17).

RELATED | Spoilers on Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, Glee, Girl Meets World and More in Ask Ausiello

This marks the second scheduling tweak The CW has made in the past 24 hours. Late Wednesday, the network announced that Nikita — which has been struggling on Fridays at 9/8c — will move back into its previous 8/7c spot beginning Nov. 30.

Comments (21)

• I think this will actually be really good for 90210, whether it makes people happy or not.

Comment by Kristen – November 8, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree….I think they’ll benefit from this move :)

Comment by Jan – November 8, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the pilot and it’s a pretty good show – lots of 80s nostalgia (music, hair, clothes) and good storylines with good nods to the original series – something to please fans of the original

Comment by nyc-chris – November 8, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!! I was a teen in the 80′s so I think this will be a fun show for a wide age-range…glad it’s on Monday’s too, there isn’t much on unless you watch CBS comedies, so I am excited to have a potential new show :)

Comment by Belle – November 8, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect place for it go. I think both shows will benefit. More anxious to see where they will place Cult – hoping it will be paired up with TVD on Thursdays so I get to see Alaric back in some form on a Thurs night again

Comment by Sara – November 8, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s my guess as well.

Comment by lll – November 8, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can also move cult to wednesdays behind arrow. Then move supernatural behind vampire diares (because no show behind vampire diaries was a huge success; no, nikita doesn’t count) and move BATB to Friday behind nikita.

Comment by carlycane – November 8, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’re not mess Arrow/SPN combos great rating by splitting them up this season, next season to use Arrow as a leadin/launch a new show yes.I know Beauty will move but even though it’s underperforming, I’m not sure itll go to fri to die.Theyre going launch Cult out of VD.

Comment by Brandy – November 8, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I plan to watch 90210 on any given Monday, I’d follow it to 9. What I most likely won’t watch is Carrie Diaries. I guess I’m just not that into tv show prequels. I didn’t like the idea when GG tried it and I don’t like it now for SATC. Could be because really, we all know where the story leads and everything that happened after, so my opinion is none of whatever it is they’re doing matters.

Comment by april-ann – November 8, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!’!!! Best news I’ve heard all day.

Comment by Amanda – November 8, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll follow 90210 to 9pm and can’t wait for CD

Comment by Brandy – November 8, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have preferred CD in the later slot to avoid DVR conflicts.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli – November 8, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I don’t like most prequels (what is the point of getting invested if you already know the ending) it seems to be a critic favorite. Now I am asking myself whether it was always the plan to put the new show on 8pm and the older on 9pm but it works for Arrow and Supernatural. And I guess 90210 has nothing to lose and it cannot pull the new show down.

Comment by Jen – November 8, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great scheduling move by the CW. I’m a huge 90210 fan and will definitely be checking out The Carrie Diaries. Seems like a solid night for the CW.

Comment by Jared – November 8, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about Cult?!

Comment by Elyse – November 8, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Cult will air on Fridays at 9pm after Nikita.It’s suppose to start in January

Comment by Warren – November 8, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard its taking Emily Owens timeslot!

Comment by Jennifer – December 11, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Carrie Diaries looks okay.. But people are kind of over analysing it! Its not going to be great.

Comment by WhosTheMorley – November 8, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like 90210 better in the time slot it is in.

Comment by sarah – November 8, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I still the only one hoping that this show turns into a Carrie Mathison series instead of Carrie Bradshaw?

Comment by joe – November 8, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @joe no you aren’t i’m hoping this as well

Comment by Booktup – November 9, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post