Midseason Scoop: The Carrie Diaries Gets CW Premiere Date, 90210 on the Move

The Carrie Diaries Premiere DateCarrie Bradshaw is moving in on 90210‘s turf.

The CW announced Thursday that its Sex and the Sequel prequel series The Carrie Diaries will debut on Monday, Jan. 14 at 8/7c.

That same night, 90210 — which currently occupies the Monday lead-off spot — will shift into its new 9/8c perch (formerly held down by Gossip Girl, which ends its run on Monday, Dec. 17).

RELATED | Spoilers on Supernatural, Hart of Dixie, Glee, Girl Meets World and More in Ask Ausiello

This marks the second scheduling tweak The CW has made in the past 24 hours. Late Wednesday, the network announced that Nikita — which has been struggling on Fridays at 9/8c — will move back into its previous 8/7c spot beginning Nov. 30.

1. Kristen says:

I think this will actually be really good for 90210, whether it makes people happy or not.

2. nyc-chris says:

I’ve seen the pilot and it’s a pretty good show – lots of 80s nostalgia (music, hair, clothes) and good storylines with good nods to the original series – something to please fans of the original

3. Belle says:

Can’t wait!!! I was a teen in the 80’s so I think this will be a fun show for a wide age-range…glad it’s on Monday’s too, there isn’t much on unless you watch CBS comedies, so I am excited to have a potential new show :)

4. Sara says:

Perfect place for it go. I think both shows will benefit. More anxious to see where they will place Cult – hoping it will be paired up with TVD on Thursdays so I get to see Alaric back in some form on a Thurs night again

• lll says:

That’s my guess as well.

• carlycane says:

They can also move cult to wednesdays behind arrow. Then move supernatural behind vampire diares (because no show behind vampire diaries was a huge success; no, nikita doesn’t count) and move BATB to Friday behind nikita.

• Brandy says:

They’re not mess Arrow/SPN combos great rating by splitting them up this season, next season to use Arrow as a leadin/launch a new show yes.I know Beauty will move but even though it’s underperforming, I’m not sure itll go to fri to die.Theyre going launch Cult out of VD.

5. april-ann says:

If I plan to watch 90210 on any given Monday, I’d follow it to 9. What I most likely won’t watch is Carrie Diaries. I guess I’m just not that into tv show prequels. I didn’t like the idea when GG tried it and I don’t like it now for SATC. Could be because really, we all know where the story leads and everything that happened after, so my opinion is none of whatever it is they’re doing matters.

6. Amanda says:

Yes!’!!! Best news I’ve heard all day.

7. Brandy says:

I’ll follow 90210 to 9pm and can’t wait for CD

8. I would have preferred CD in the later slot to avoid DVR conflicts.

9. Jen says:

While I don’t like most prequels (what is the point of getting invested if you already know the ending) it seems to be a critic favorite. Now I am asking myself whether it was always the plan to put the new show on 8pm and the older on 9pm but it works for Arrow and Supernatural. And I guess 90210 has nothing to lose and it cannot pull the new show down.

10. Jared says:

This is a great scheduling move by the CW. I’m a huge 90210 fan and will definitely be checking out The Carrie Diaries. Seems like a solid night for the CW.

11. Elyse says:

what about Cult?!

12. The Carrie Diaries looks okay.. But people are kind of over analysing it! Its not going to be great.

13. sarah says:

I like 90210 better in the time slot it is in.

14. joe says:

Am I still the only one hoping that this show turns into a Carrie Mathison series instead of Carrie Bradshaw?

15. Booktup says:

@joe no you aren’t i’m hoping this as well