Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, Vampire Diaries, Once, Scandal, Cougar Town and More!

NCIS, Scandal, Vampire DiariesIs any McGoodness ahead for NCIS‘ McAbby? Who’s the new hunk heading for Mystic Falls? Is Scandal‘s First Family tree adding a branch? Will Once Upon a Time‘s Storybrooke team ever solve the portal problem? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

NCIS | We open this week’s column with a dip into the reader mailbag, where Ruby seeks “good scoop on McAbby” aka McGee and Abby. “It has been a whole decade of cute moments, and the recent lack of their scenes together is making me suspicious that something is going on.” Well, Ruby, I come bearing promising news. Or, more accurately, show boss Gary Glasberg does. “Plan on meeting McGee’s dad, the Admiral, in a compelling, emotional story during February sweeps,” he says. There, “Abby will be a comforting shoulder for McGee to lean on during tough times.”
    Elsewhere on NCIS, I can tell you that the return of Eli David – and in turn the midseason Ziva twist we told you about previously – appears to be taking shape, as the show is casting the guest-starring roles of a Mossad associate director, an American businessman whose oil fortune burdens him with ties to the Middle East and Gavriela, a sexy and smart Israeli informant for the CIA.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has Scoop on NCIS‘ Tony/Ziva and More!

The Vampire Diaries | Sink your teeth into this, Armchair Casting Directors: The CW drama is casting the possibly recurring role of Vaughn, who is described as “ruggedly handsome, charming, built and tough as hell.” Ideally, the gent landing the part will wield an Irish, Scottish or Australian accent. Could this be the new member of The Brotherhood of The Five we will meet later this season?

Scandal | I have a tweet from @Nikki528, asking for “#Scandal spoilers/scoop, particularly of the Liv/Fitz variety.” Having seen this week’s episode, I can report that Fitz… sadly is MIA, being off at the G8 summit and all. Nonetheless, he looms large as Olivia fields overtures from her ex, Senator Davis. (Plus, one fun theme throughout the hour is: “All roads lead to Fitz.”) Elsewhere, the “Evil Quinntet” may not have a David Rosen problem after all. Then again, they very well might. (You’ll catch my drift in a few hours.) You’ll also get to see Liv give a mere “spokesperson” a firm lesson in Extreme Fixing 101, and find out what Huck likes to do on a date. And by the end of the hour, Olivia will ID a surprising new adversary. Looking further down the road, and speaking of Fitz, this just in: The ABC drama is looking to cast a name as “Big Jerry” — aka POTUS’ funny and overbearing pop! It kinda has to be Ken Howard, right?

PHOTOS | Does Once Upon a Time‘s Ruby Have a Thirst for Blood? An Angry Mob Sure Thinks So!

Once Upon a Time | This Sunday’s episode not only delves deep into Ruby’s hairy identity crisis – what with the first full moon coming since the curse was lifted from Storybrooke – it also takes some big steps in the name of solving the portal problem that thus far has stymied Charming. “I can’t say a lot about it, but a lot of questions regarding the portal and all of that are answered in this episode, like right from the get-go. It’s a crazy episode!” Meghan Ory, who plays Ruby/Red, tells me. But before anyone goes leaping back and forth between realms, a short-term solution will allow the Storybrooke contingent to at least (if dangerously) communicate with those in the fairytale land that is.

VIDEO | Exclusive: Bones Bosses Revisit Brennan and Booth’s Biggest Unsolved Mysteries

Bones | TVLine reader Delirious asked me for “any news on agents Genny Shaw (played by Tina Majorino) and/or Olivia Sparling (Danielle Panabaker) returning? Especially now that Sweets is ‘free as a bird.’” I like your thinking, D – and lord knows either of those lasses would be a fine follow-up to Daisy. But as of right now, I am told, neither actress has booked her next appearance.

Suits | Colleen is “dying to know more about the second half of Suits” Season 2, including “Any scoops on Amanda Schull’s character.” I can confirm that Schull — as Katrina Bennett, a tenacious ADA who exploits people’s weaknesses to get what she wants — will guest-star in Episodes 13 and 15. And since the show returns Jan. 17, 2013, with Episode 11, that lands her first appearance on Jan. 31.

RELATED | Abigail Spencer Suits Up Again for Season 2

Cougar Town | The Cul de Sac crew may be expanding after its relocation to TBS — and in a most unexpected way. I’m hearing that by the end of Season 4, Jules will have a decision to make when her sale of the house next door comes with the condition that the 70-year-old buyer and her hard-of-hearing husband are allowed to hang with the gang. Time to pound… Metamucil?

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!

Comments (31)

• Cougar Town is relocating to TBS…

Comment by K – November 8, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this was immediately fixed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 8, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DUDE!!!!!!!! GIVE ME SOME YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS scoop! I’ve been asking forever. Billy&Victoria spoilers please about the kidnapping storyline.

Comment by Claire – November 8, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No offence, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of these spoiler columns on any sight cover soap operas. Just letting you know.

Comment by Danyelle – November 8, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wrong colum

Comment by Joe – November 8, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dude there are like 4 other sites that post spoilers on soap operas. I personally go to soaps.com or soap central.

Comment by Mick – November 8, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Danielle Panabaker back on BONES. Oh she was so much better for Sweets than Daisy!

Comment by Ella – November 8, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Defo… And it should prove interesting, should she become a full-fledged agent in training wheels, under/beside Booth, with Sweets around her, right? Oh, the possibilities that her return would open…
      PS. muchas gracias, mr Mitovich! :)

Comment by Delirious – November 10, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we start calling Scandal’s secret cabal the “Quinnspiracy”? I think it has a nice ring to it, as in “Olivia Pope and her fellow Quinnspirators…”

Comment by wordsmith – November 8, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see Scandal

Comment by KCC – November 8, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If he weren’t such a delicious Captain Hook on “Once Upon A Time,” I’d vote for Colin O’Donoghue as the next member of The Five that we’re going to meet on “The Vampire Diaries”.

Comment by Dwight Supremacy – November 8, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hook is kind of cute, but I his guyliner gets to me.

Comment by Alexandra S – November 8, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Colin is the only reason I would even consider watching Vampire Diaries!

Comment by Jennifer – November 8, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing on the good wife? :(

Comment by Chloe – November 8, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If we have to have a love interest for Sweets, I actually prefer the Daisy that we saw when Sweets dumped her, in the street, no less. She unfortunately loves him, strange as that may be.

Comment by kentucky – November 8, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should cast Jamie Dornan for The Vampire Diaries. Talk about a ratings boost. He is Irish…

Comment by AT – November 8, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be so sad if that Scandal school means David is dead…

Comment by E – November 8, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, thanks for the Scandal scoop :-)

Comment by Nicole (@Nikki528) – November 8, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • McAbby, yes :)

Comment by bobbie – November 8, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen Vampire Diaries, so I apologize if these suggestions are way off-base, but what about Grant Bowler or Jason O’Mara for this new role they’re casting?

Comment by AliDubs – November 8, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know who Grant Bowler is but Jason O’Mara may skew a bit old for The Vampire Diaries. Even the adults on that show look like they are 35 at most.

Comment by Ari – November 9, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually many TV Line columns (Mitovich, Masters, Ausiello, Roots, Team TV line) have posted about &/or referenced General Hospital and One Life to Live a number of times and I’m very thankful for that!! :)

Comment by Kimber – November 8, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for the McGee scoop on NCIS, but nervous about the appearance of Gavriela. Whenever they describe a female character as “sexy”, they are usually getting ready to throw some sort of roadblock between Tony & Ziva. I’ve been guardedly hopeful for Tiva this season. I am so not looking forward to the possible problems she may bring up between them.

Comment by Mel – November 8, 2012 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure most would say that he is too old for the “ruggedly handsome, charming, built and tough as hell” character on Vampire Diaries but, what about James Marsters? I think that would be a hoot!!

Comment by Spikenalabama – November 9, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean Henry & Aurora will figure out they can communicate through their dreams already? I was hoping they wouldn’t drag that out all season.

Comment by Mikael – November 9, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The seventy-something couple next door on Cougar Town should be played by Elliot Gould and Christina Pickles. That would be perfect casting on so many levels!

Comment by shutuprob – November 9, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh joy….more news on a major ziva storyline…that’ll be an ep that gets skipped totally this season. The character is BORING & really over done at this point. Here’s hoping they kill her off by the end of SX

Comment by as – November 14, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re:NCIS. Oh please no! Not McAbby! :(
    Hope they just stay friends and never ever try to make it into romance. McAbby was over and done with back in season 2. I don’t think they make a good couple. Abby should be with someone that can match her. Like, say, Gibbs.

Comment by miss A – November 16, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post