Sneak Peek: Castle & Co. Amusingly Rock the 'Mockumentary' Format

Castle‘s Rick, Lanie, Esposito and Ryan mug for the cameras this Monday when a documentary crew tails the 12th precinct crew as they investigate the death of a rock star. Beckett’s reactions to it all, meanwhile, are equally entertaining — and we’ve got a trio of sneak peeks.

RELATED | Castle Books GH‘s Nancy Lee Grahn For War of the Roses-Esque Episode

In the first clip below, Castle puts on quite the performance as he helps Beckett’s team boil down the murder at hand, all leading up to what he apparently thinks is quite the turn of words. (Bonus points if you catch the Spinal Tap nod.)

Loading video...

In the second video, Lanie summons Rick and Kate to deliver news that she could just as easily shared over the phone. But you’ll quickly see why she wanted the camera crew to tag along.

Loading video...

And last but not least, Ryan and Esposito share with the documentarians their respective takes on what they each bring to their partnership — including one impressive set of guns.

Loading video...

Dare I say, this Office-like outing could be as fun as the sci-fi riff, if not more.

1. Rrrrrr says:

Are all ABC shows doing this? I know PP did one and I think GA did one. I don’t get the appeal. Maybe it’s cheaper to produce?

• Alan says:

its a marketable gimmick. plus talking to the camera is a much easier to way to get across how a character thinks, and just their personality in general. plus its always fun to see the character who is always so together become so flustered in front of the camera. think back to juliet in the documentary episode of psych, she was an excellent source of comedy in that episode

2. Andrea says:

I’m not sure I’m going to love all the camera movement in this episode, but it looks really funny! The clip with Lanie was hilarious!

3. Mcat says:

This is amazing. I love Ryan and Espo. <3 But what on earth is Beckett wearing?

4. kate says:

I think this is gonna be a really fun episode! Seeing how they all deal with the camera will be quite interesting. Can’t wait!

5. Dreamrose says:

When I first started watching “Castle”, I came for Nathan Fillion. Why did I stay? Ryan and Esposito, referred to at my house with great affection as “The Peanut Gallery”. They’re hilarious, and their actors work fantastically together. Ryan and Espo are just plain awesome.

• moobear says:

Castle really has an amazing set of supporting characters and actors, Ryan and Esposito are awesome together and I love that, “The Peanut Gallery,” brilliant!

6. KCC says:

Hahahahahaha!!

7. april-ann says:

This looks like fun (LOVE Lanie). But all these “fun” eps are getting a little too cutesy for me and are starting to grate. Time to get back to the show, guys.

• Alan says:

gotta mix things up occasionally or things get boring. i for one am really enjoying these lighter episodes after the highly dramatic second half of last season but dont worry the drama will be back soon enough, still got 2 more sweeps periods before the end of the season

8. Irishgirl says:

Ryan and Esposito’s clip was hysterical!! “What’s with your shirt? It’s really tight….did you change it?”

9. Lauren says:

Love it! This has been a great season so far!

10. Tom says:

Sounds interesting. Gotta ask about the second clip — why the costume change? In the opening part of the clip Kate is wearing a brown blazer when they go to see Lanie she’s wearing a green leather jacket. Did days pass between the time they said “Lanie has info for us” and when they actually went to see her? I was always under the impression that the ME was located in the same building as (or nearby) Beckett’s office. I don’t recall a visit to Lanie requiring a change of clothing in the past. In the last clip it would have been hilarious if Ryan wrecked the car with the amount of time he spent looking at the camera and not the road.

Has Marlowe been watching old M*A*S*H episodes for inspiration? The visiting documentary crew concept sounds like a page from an old M*A*S*H episode. Not complaining, it’s good to see some creative ideas to keep the show fresh.

• JAA says:

Easy, this season when you see Beckett at the precinct wearing a blazer she puts on a coat or a jacket to leave the precinct, always.

11. James says:

awesome! love John Huertas and Seamus Deaver they have a great dynamic. what is going on with Beckett’s hair?

12. I like this season compared to the others! Super loveee it! :) -http://worldwidela.com/