Nashville Recap: Sisters, Doin' It For Themselves

Rayna, Juliette and Scarlett each took a definitive step toward securing their futures in this week’s episode of Nashville, regardless of how their decisions affected some of their closest loved ones. Hey, a country girl’s gotta do what a country girl’s gotta do, right? Let’s review the major developments of “Move It On Over.”

MAMA DRAMA | The episode opens at the recording studio, where Juliette has kept her band laying down tracks all night long. Makena meets up with Deacon and Glenn in the hallway and offers them some much-needed coffee. Deacon must’ve ordered his latte with extra exposition, because we quickly (and clunkily) learn that Juju is avoiding her trainwreck of a mother, who has to stay at Juliette’s house – or go to rehab – until her sentencing hearing. And then, just in case we didn’t get it, Deacon intones, “The problem is, she doesn’t wanna go home.” Eesh. He offers to help Juliette get Jolene into rehab, but she refuses and says she’s just going to run out the clock on her mother’s stay. “That’s your big plan?” he asks dubiously. She answers in the affirmative but then reconsiders after finding her mom passed out in bed, amid empty pill and booze bottles, with some random greasy guy. Juliette tosses the dude from her house and then engages in a fight with her mom – who’s wearing a tank top and undies — on the front lawn for all the neighbors to see. (Side note: Do you think Jolene’s little half-trip on the way back into the house was planned? I hope so. It’s like she can’t even get in a good dig at her kid without somehow screwing it up.)

When Juliette laments that she’s tried to get her mom clean umpteen times, bodyguard Bo offers, “Maybe she can’t hear it from you anymore,” then promptly skedaddles right out of the scene. OK, time out: I’m fine with bodyguards offering important context and/or perspective for their rich pinhead employers, such as The Newsroom‘s Lonny does for Will, but have we even heard this Bo talk before? It would’ve been nice to see a little more interaction between Ju and her hired gun before now is all I’m saying. Time in! At Ju’s call, Deacon swings by to coax Jolene into going to rehab. It takes, like, five minutes. Maybe Intervention should start adding country stars to their counseling staff. In all honesty, if Deacon showed up in my living room all southern earnestness and warm, gravelly voice, I’d probably go anywhere he asked, too. Mama Barnes tweaks a bit upon arrival at the facility – she slaps Juliette, and Deke has to take some pills away from her – but she’s successfully checked in. Juliette tries to “thank” Deacon by kissing him, but he pulls away and advises her to spend some time alone putting all of her troubles “in the rearview mirror” – advice he might wanna follow himself later in the hour. By the end of the ep, she tells her assistant she wants to start fresh in a new house and… totally moves into Nolan’s old place from Revenge! (Yes? No? Tell me if I’m right in the comments.)

SELL OUT WITH ME TONIGHT | Rayna’s got a list of things she will not do, and a tour with Deacon and a greatest hits album are No. 1 and 2. But taking part in commercials apparently is no longer verboten, mainly because her family is broke. So we watch Rayna twirl in a very pretty crimson dress as she sings about American beauty, and the commercial’s going along swimmingly until she gets word that Deacon’s not cool with the lyrical tweak necessary to hawk a line of beauty products. She tries to change his mind but he sticks firm, so she retaliates by bringing up his recent time spent in Ms. Barnes’ presence. Their exchange isn’t exactly a rehash of the break-up conversation we’ve seen a bunch of times already, but it’s close enough. Fish or cut bait, kids! Rayna then decides that she doesn’t need a new writing partner, because she’s going to compose some tunes all on her own. I certainly hope the one she writes by the end of the episode is as good as Watty thinks it is, because the Jaymes/Conrad household may have some gigantic legal bills to pay in the near future. Teddy, who’s still not doing well in the polls, confesses to Lamar that he embezzled $2 million from the credit union – via Peggy – to cover debts on the busted Cumberland Project. Though they paid the money back, the credit union’s audit has Pegs wanting to go to the feds before the feds find out on their own. And for the record, Teddy tells Lamar, he and Peggy didn’t sleep together. Rayna’s pop says he’ll take care of it all… and later, we see a photographer surreptitiously shooting pics of Peggy and Teddy’s affectionate-yet-platonic meeting. (Side note: They were literally under a street lamp. What, all the shady back alleys were full up?) In the meantime, Deacon gives the pills he confiscated from Jolene to his sponsor Coleman. “There’s seven in there. I counted them all night,” he says, agitated. (Also of note: We learn that though Rayna put Deacon into rehab years ago, it was Coleman who actually brought him to the center.) Later at The Bluebird, after singing a song that is totally not about Rayna y’all, he and a heckler get into parking lot fisticuffs that land Deacon in the clink. (I loved that moment when he’s on the ground and makes the conscious decision to slug it out.) Rayna declines his one phone call (ouch) but Juliette posts bail, because that’s what friends with benefits do. During a break at a 12-step meeting, Deacon gets past his anger and calls his lawyer: He’s granting Rayna permission to use their song to hawk wrinkle cream or whatever.

NEED YOU NOW (TO STOP SCREWING THINGS UP FOR ME) | Jeanne gets Gunnar and Scarlett the opportunity to perform one of their songs for Lady Antebellum’s producer, provided they can get another guitarist to “round out” their sound. Avery volunteers and acts like he’s doing Scarlett a huge favor, then totally pulls focus by going rogue and turning their simple love ballad into a vehicle for his guitar solo. He all but does the Chuck Berry duck walk, and no one’s happy afterward. Gunnar confronts him post-performance – and Scarlett overhears – but she makes it clear to her writing partner that she’s with Avery. After Lady A’s producer passes on the song though, mainly because of Avery’s showboating, Scarlett (finally!) lays into her insecure boyfriend. Clare Bowen does a nice job of mixing Scar’s anger, disappointment and sadness with a very welcome dose of you-will-not-ruin-my-fledgling-career. “I don’t want to be this couple that fights all the time,” Avery tells her, and for once, he and I agree: I don’t want you two to be a couple, period. Elsewhere, Gunnar tells Hailey the “uncomplicated” hook-up they’ve got going won’t work, because he really likes her. Hmm. Any of that devotion fueled by Scarlett’s line in the sand, Gunny?

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of this week’s episode? What’s your speculation about Teddy’s dad? Do you have any hope that Jolene will actually get clean? And does Avery have any redeeming qualities? Sound off in the comments!

1. Russ says:

I am really liking Gunner/Scarlett/Avery story line those three and my favorite part of the show. Also liking Juliette/Deacon excited to see where both of those go.
    I could live without Rayna and her husband and the politics, I find it blah and wish I could skip over it. Its just not working for me.

2. Lalala says:

I liked the dream sequence they started with, it helped me understand my Rayna is having such a hard time with Deacon…. He literally haunts her!

3. Forwarddad says:

Move on from the political story. We are burned out. Why is Rayna with Teddy. Go on tour for crying out loud.

4. Amy says:

First impressions. I am so not liking Avery. Jealousy and ambition are rearing their ugly heads. It would be nice to have his character a bit more likable. Same with Teddy. We have two guys that are clearly not the answer for these two women (Juliette/Rayna).
    Questions: Who’s behind the picture taking of Peggy & Teddy? Lamar for future blackmail or Coleman’s people for the election?
    Loved the whole Deacon story. You see a softer side of Juliette — she was getting a bit too harsh and one-dimensional. And the internal struggle with Deacon is great. And the way he gently turned down Juliette. I like the way the writers are fleshing out his character. Still so conflicted.

5. Rai says:

“…if Deacon showed up in my living room all southern earnestness and warm, gravely voice, I’d probably go anywhere he asked, too.”
    Hehehe…Exactly what I’ve been thinking throughout the episode. Deacon, the very best thing in Nashville ;) Check the looks those three girls were throwing at him during the concert. And true, not only easy on the eyes, probably the most interesting character in the show.

6. Christina Schmid says:

First: yes, that was Nolan’s house! I said the same thing (to myself) last night. Second: yes, that bodyguard scene was stupid. It was too contrived! It was like the actor won a walk-on part in a raffle and that was his big line for the episode.

7. Jeff says:

That is not Nolan’s house. It’s a house in Nashville that’s been featured in several local news stories.

8. The bodyguard finally having a line, then leaving the room (wouldn’t he wait for dismissal or at least her response?) was weird.
    Rayna getting a phone call in the middle of the night was the first time I’ve talked back to the TV set during “Nashville” (press 2! press 2!) so I guess that means I’m getting more than superficially attached to this show.
    Anyone else wondering how long it is before Avery is offered the lead guitar gig for Rayna and finally tying the two major storylines together in some fashion?

• AMES says:

oh I love the idea of getting Avery as the new lead guitarist for Rayna. That really would tie every thing together. I thought they would go that route with juilett becuz she was into him in the primere but it would be cool with Rayna too.;

9. Jared says:

Im really hating the whole political storyline of Nashville. Juliet is the true star of this show. I love Connie but her story is pretty bland. I hate to say it but Nashville seemed so promising in the pilot but now I don’t know how much longer I can stick wit it. Its not the show I thought it would be.

• Christian says:

Yes to all of this. I was also thinkin last night that they need some interaction between Rayna and Juliette!

• Lindsey says:

I love Connie Britton and have been sticking with this but I keep waiting for something to happen to tie me in to wanting to watch the next week. I feel like the story lines are all over the map and there is nothing to root for…I like Rayna with Deacon but they are dragging this out so long- still don’t know much about there backstory and with the two of them having the same argument every week I’m getting bored…

10. KCC says:

Charles Esten, “Deacon”, is doing an amazing job! His character is really the heart of the show.
    During the episode I kept thinking “Oh no, they’re going to make Lucky bad” :(

11. Luli101 says:

Enjoying this show, but I was looking forward to some cat fights between Rayna and Juliette and some “will they won’t they” between Rayna and Deacon on the tour. That seemed to be what the pilot promised, but it hasn’t delivered. I love the characters and setting, but the plots and sometimes dialogue are a little rough around the edges. Love the music, but could use a little more of it. BTW…does anyone else think Deacon resembles Jimmy Johnson?

12. Jen says:

I am really loving this show! Such good soapy drama. I keep waiting though for Juliette and Rayna to go on tour together because it’s been building up to that from day one and I hope it’s not dragged out too long. Teddy is the only character not clicking for me so I hope Rayna can get away from him soon either going on tour or because of those pictures. I love Deacon!! Also I found myself liking Juliette more this episode. She really seemed to listen to Deacon’s sound advice and now we’ve seen more of what she’s had to go through in her life so that helps to understand her attitude. Can’t wait for next week!

13. Diane says:

I need more Rayna and Deacon. So relieved that he turned down Juliette in more ways than one. And like everyone else it seems, I could care less about Teddy and the politics.

14. GeoDiva says:

Totally agree there needs to be interaction between Rayna and Juliette. Avery needs to be her new guitar player. It is time for Nashville to start conencting the dots more and interlinking these characters!

15. Melissa says:

I don’t think that was Nolan’s old house… Nolan lived in Naomi’s (90210) old house

16. Dwilson says:

Was it strange that several times before they have shown Juliette’s (old) house with gates… when her mother was outside the gates, when she was going to drive outside the gates, but tonight when she threw the greasy drunk out, it was right onto the sidewalk with people walking by and cars going by? Are the gates just to the gated community, but once inside people roam freely?

• Jeff says:

I live in Nashville. Juliette’s house (the one she moved out of) is in a very upscale gated community in West Nashville, so the scenes at the gates are at the entrance to the development.

17. Kristen says:

I’m trying to enjoy Juliette, but I don’t like that she feels she is entitled to everything b/c she’s Juliette Barnes. She preyed on Deacon forever! Despite how many times he told her no. It annoys me. She’s the epitome of why i can’t stand celebrities. She’s having family problems now though, so it is showing a softer side. I really, really wish they would quit the same ol’ fight with Deacon and Rayna already. Let’s move past it. You two are INCREDIBLY in love, and despite what scandalous past your husband is trying to hide with his sham of a political career, you deserve to go on tour and be happy. I think he’s lying about any involvement with Peggy. I think they were romantically involved. I like watching Rayna and Juliette interact. Cracks me up. Connie Britton is great! Poor Scar. I cannot believe Avery… wait. Yes I can. He’s a sleaze ball!!!! Gunnar and Scar deserve to be heard. Karma.