NCIS: LA Two-Parter to Set Up Possible Spin-Off

Get More: News, Pilots

NCIS Los AngelesAnd the NCIS gods keep on giving.

Onetime NCIS boss/current NCIS: Los Angeles showrunner Shane Brennan is developing a spin-off of the hit procedural’s original spin-off, our sister site Deadline reports.

The as-yet-untitled offshoot will first be glimpsed as a two-part episode of NCIS: LA airing later this season — making it a “planted pilot,” as NCIS: LA itself was — and follow a mobile team of agents who live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes. (If it doesn’t wind up called NCIS: Mobile or NCIS: Criminal Minds, I’ll eat my hat.)

RELATED | NCIS Casts Alex Kingston in ‘A Very Disturbing’ November Sweeps Episode

NCIS proper of course is TV’s most watched drama series, while NCIS: LA, Deadline notes, commands one of the highest syndication licensing fees for a drama series.

Which currently unemployed actors would you like to see populate the new NCIS team? Hey, look, it’s our photo gallery of 25 actors worthy of work!

Comments (126)

• IF this goes ahead they should base the show in South or Central America and make it about a NCIS (with help from Mi6, Interpol, CIA etc) lead task force tackling smuggling.

Comment by Dan – November 6, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I watch this show faithfully, I don’t watch the reruns on USA. I don’t enjoy them as I do the original NCIS. I like the cast very much, but the stories and characters are once and done for me. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the character of Hetty, I probably would stop watching NCIS:LA all together. She’s the heart. The plots always end up to have something to do with terrorism, which gets old and very boring. The military connection is usually so thin, it’s non-existent. The episodes can be very hard to follow and are mostly unintersting to me.

Oh, and would it hurt to have Chris O’Donnell smile once in awhile? Honestly. He’s got such a pretty one…

Comment by song4ten – November 6, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t!

Comment by HG – November 6, 2012 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is hideous. It’s a spin-off of the spin-off of the spin-off then. Sorry but I don’t get Shane Brennan. He is successful with NCIS LA and should focus on making it a long-run show like NCIS instead of launching another project. NCIS and NCIS:LA still have a few years in them. I won’t be watching that new show. I don’t like it when networks try to milk the success of NCIS until there is nothing left. Shane already left and dropped NCIS to focus on LA. So apparently he did have difficulties juggling two shows. Why start another one now? The mothership is still the best NCIS with a unique chemistry. NCIS LA is good but not as good as NCIS. The whole thing is just maddening. They are trying to make the next CSI thing outta NCIS. CBS and Shane, please don’t do it.

Comment by Svenja – November 6, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree my dear :)

Comment by estefania – November 6, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be willing to give this spin-off a shot. I have always been a fan of NCIS but to be honest I only tuned into NCIS:LA because they cast Chris O’Donnell and now it is my favorite show on TV.

My casting suggestion: Jason O’Mara he is so wasted on Vegas. He needs to be a leading man again.

Comment by seeingdouble – November 6, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe the “N” could stand for “Nomad.”

Comment by Maria – November 6, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is getting to be quite a chain — JAG begat NCIS which spawned NCIS:LA and now maybe a 3rd one? That’ll be a spin-off from a spin-off from a spin-off. Has that been done before? Yeesh! Of course, I loved JAG, and love NCIS & LA, so I’ll gladly take more. They’re enough different that I don’t feel like I’m watching the same shows just with different background scenery, so I don’t mind it so much.

Comment by Kriselda Gray – November 6, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, that difference is important, put the right mix together and we’ll see.

For L.A.: I also appreciate the lack of close-up autopsy scenes. As others have said, the LA is my first choice when I hit the TiVo, NCIS get’s wait listed.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so..JAG -> NCIS -> NCIS:LA -> new spinoff
    Well, if it looks good, I’ll watch it! I thought LA wouldn’t be good for sure, but I love it now! But nothing can compare to NCIS in my heart :)

Comment by Rach – November 6, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Eat your hat”, hee hee you made me snort/laugh out loud at work Matt. Which results in me getting weird looks but I completely agree with NCIS: Mobile.

Comment by sarah – November 6, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about: Diane Neal, as Special Agent Abigail Borin, leads an elite team of CGIS investigators in a new spin-off of NCIS?

Comment by Drew – November 7, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is what I was saying earlier hit the nail on the head!

Comment by J – December 5, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING NATE BACK!!!!!!

Comment by C L McCase – November 7, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, bring Nate back. I liked him.

Get Paul Telfer (Damon Werth from NCIS) to be in the spinoff series. That’d be awesome! I liked the actor’s portrayal on the show a lot.

Comment by Zachary J. Morrison – November 8, 2012 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about NCIS: FFM (Frequent Flier Miles?)

Comment by Luis – December 6, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like NCIS:LA better than NCIS. Definitely intrigued by this new spinoff.

Comment by Big D – February 4, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t they spin BACK to JAG? That could work, right?

Comment by Dennis – February 9, 2013 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post