Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Video: Meredith Explodes as the Ghost of Lexie Looms Large

Get More: Exclusive, First Look, Video

Ellen Pompeo Grey's Anatomy Season 9This week’s Grey’s Anatomy sends Meredith on a collision course with the oft-overlooked sixth stage of grief: melting down in public.

RELATED | Patrick Dempsey Opens Up About Re-Signing With Grey’s, Being ‘Married’ to Ellen Pompeo and Why He Needs to Hit the Gym

As TVLine first scooped back in September, Thursday’s change-of-pace hour (9/8c, ABC) splits its focus between Meredith at Seattle Grace and Cristina at the Mayo Clinic.

The Mer-centric portion of the episode finds Ellen Pompeo’s emotionally fragile MD tasked with saving a super-critical patient — an ordeal that forces her to finally confront her sister Lexie’s tragic death.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Derek’s Sister!

Press PLAY below and watch the chaotic first minutes of the inciting incident, which, coincidentally, are not dissimilar to the chaotic first minutes of the fateful plane crash that claimed Lexie’s life.

Loading video...

Comments (49)

• such an amazing actress! Looking forward to this episode A LOT

Comment by ingmarhappy – November 5, 2012 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an awesome sneak. Ellen is brilliant. Can’t wait for this episode.

Comment by Jessica – November 5, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I don’t wanna be responsible for paralyzing here.” yeah, makes sense. If this girl wouldn’t be standing like she really doesn’t give a flying fig about what happens, even it if means the death of the lady.
    Go Mer for taking action, even if it might be triggered by something else.

Comment by Dominique – November 5, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited! Ellen is going to rock it. She is awesome. Come on Thursday.

Comment by Lola – November 5, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! Wow. No words. Go Mer and Ellen is flawless.

Thursday can’t come soon enough.

Comment by G – November 5, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is going to be so heartbreaking for Meredith. The woman under the car looks so much like Lexie under the plane.

Comment by Maizie – November 5, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh wow, this is going to be INTENSE! Meredith is my fave. The poor woman in this accident is going to trigger the plane crashed that killed her sis. It’s going to be so sad but EP always kills these scenes. She is flawless. Hurry up Thursday!

Comment by Francis – November 5, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess it’s too naive to hope the woman will live. I don’t care though. I hope she does. I’m a cyclist & that scene terrified me. Long time fan of Grey’s. Last couple of seasons my attention has waned but this season is rekindling my interest. Really enjoying the grown up Meredith and Derek, after all the crap they’ve had thrown at them since S1 finale. Ellen Pompeo is brilliant and I know this story line will be incredible for her. Such a shame the show runner killed off Meredith’s sister. I loved Lexie and I loved the Meredith/Lexie relationship. I don’t understand how that awful April Kepner is still there but Lexie and Mark are gone. I have to mute the Kepner lady. I am actually looking forward to this week’s episode which hasn’t happened in a long time. I hope Kepner is missing the entire episode.

Comment by Jake – November 5, 2012 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s funny, I’ve heard the actress who plays Kepner on other shows and in interviews and she doesn’t normally speak so shrilly. It’s like she just does that for Grey’s. Annoying and she should stop. People would probably like her character more.

Comment by Ari – November 5, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She wasn’t that annoying on Mad Men but then again, the show runner didn’t try and shove her down the viewer’s throat. The character itself is just annoying, shrill, whiney, overly dramatic, and immature. She really should stopl.

Comment by Harriet Specter – November 5, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I wish they hadn’t killed Lexie. I LOVE LEXIE. I loved her and Meredith scenes together. And Lexie with Derek, Zola, Mark and Bailey. I MISS Lexie alot and Chyler on the show. I glad she getting some kind of tribute even though she desever 2 hours like George and Mark. It just NOT FAIR, Also I agree Ellen will Rock this episode and will deseve and Emmy for it.

Comment by Tiff – November 5, 2012 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EP will be flawless like always, also will be a lot of raw emotion as I believe they were filming this episode when her real life dad passed away so I’m gonna say it will be so real and raw the tissues are on standby already.

Comment by Aussie – November 5, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The woman under the car looks so much like Meredith, more than she does Lexie. Going to be a really interesting and powerful episode for Meredith. Such a shame her sister was killed off. Ellen is just made of win so she’ll really kill all these scenes. Jake, I’m with you. Hope the crash lady survives. I think it’s going to be the opposite though. I hope Cristina comes back soon from MN. I miss the twisted sisters even if I want them to tone it down a little. Hope Derek is around to give his wife a big ole hug. She needs one.

Comment by Harriet Specter – November 5, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this episode because of all the Meredith. Ellen will rock every single scene, wish it was just her centred episode, instead of Cristina and her boring scenes in the hospital she’s in.

Comment by Tia – November 5, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The MN hospital IS super boring but I am loving the Cristina and Mr. Feeny scenes. Can’t remember his dr. name. I like her in MN because it keeps her away from Owen who I can’t stand. That relationship is so toxic and horrible. At least in boring MN, she’s living on her own and working with Mr. Feeny.

Comment by Fíona – November 5, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Feeling like such a minority here but, I LOVE Christina and Owen. I just do. I think Owen is suffering terribly without her, and I feel for him. He is such a sad, damaged character, and I think in some ways, so is Christina.

Comment by Ridelle Wilkerson – November 5, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t have any simpathy for Owen. He asked it. Now the girls, I’m seeing Cristina fleeing away from the Clinic Mayo to not witness or participate in the hunt to the old dog. But seeing her to return to Seattle just to jump in that jerkass arms is a pain. What a waste.
          I’m eager to see Mer coping with this stressful situation and by extention with Lexie’s death. Maybe some scenes with her in flasback mode? neh, I don’t think so!

Comment by Rod – November 6, 2012 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There are a great many Cristina/Owen fans, Ridelle. You are not alone by any means. The Owen haters tend to forget that *both* Cristina and Owen have made both poor choices and horrible mistakes (and they definitely need to learn to communicate better and with honesty) but I look forward to Cristina returning to Seattle (as she most certainly will) and to mending things with Owen because these two damaged, wounded souls are meant to be together. They are *both* “suffering terribly” without the other. Fortunately, I have faith that that will soon be remedied. CO for the win! #40Years #soulmates #secondchances

Comment by LMSO – November 6, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I consider Cristina’s scenes in MN very interesting and important in that supposed growing she’s ‘suffering’. Well, at least until Shonda remembers to make her back again to the selfish uncaring mode for plot purposes. Why nobody had remembered to bring Dr. Daniels to Seattle once she is coming back to the sniffer of blondes again. There is where he’s needed.
      I’m looking forward to see the twisted sisters episode. Now that we all know of what kind of material the Cheater is made I’m rooting for the girls as I never had before.

Comment by Ninna – November 5, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Ellen Pompeo ROCKS this scene, she is such an amazing actress! Long overdue for an Emmy, Ellen and Patrick is the only reason I still watch Grey’s. Looking forward to a great episode Thursday.

Comment by EllenFTW – November 5, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Big DITTO to that!

Comment by Liz – November 5, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto for me too! I love Ms. Pompeo and she always blows me away with these sorts of scenes. I think this will be very powerful. Looking forward to seeing some Derek too. I think I read he was out of town this episode but hope we get at least one Merder scene. Also looking forward to Alex, Dr. Bailey, Cristina, and the Chief.

Comment by Fíona – November 5, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the headline and was worried we were going to see actual ghosts again lol

Comment by Tom – November 5, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your post made me smile because I thought the same thing and I bet many other Grey’s fans did too.

Comment by Merisi – November 5, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Least interesting (and least likable) character on the show.

Comment by tw – November 5, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yet you still wasted your time to read and comment. LOL!

Comment by Tia – November 5, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been a fan of the show for years. And love Michael Ausiello. So it’ hardly a waste of my time to read one of his updates. I just personally don’t find Meredith a particularly interesting or compelling character (and never have).
        I love/d Cristina, Mark, Callie, Arizona, Lexie, Bailey, Karev, Jackson, (even George and Izzie back in the day). I’m probably in the minority here, the character of Meredith (and Ellen Pompeo, as well) to be the weakest link. And Derek, he’s just a bore, particularly this season. But lots other reasons to watch.

Comment by tw – November 5, 2012 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah!!!I’ve been waiting for some deep reaction/recovery of emotions we have not seen. Only how the plane crash change there lives. I’ve been so bored, waiting for some earth reaching emotion!!!

Comment by cookie kirk – November 5, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this episode!

Comment by Steph – November 5, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let my power be back on by then! GRRR Sandy! So much good tv to catch up on when I get my power back :(.

Comment by EveatEden – November 5, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a powerful scene.

Can’t wait for this episode!

Comment by Kerry – November 5, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i didn’t like that sloan had to die…i can’t wait for the next episode and they should totally get aqnother mcsteamy intop the picture before i lose interest because i am such a dedicated grey fan.

Comment by walusiku luputa – November 5, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I carnt wait for season 9 to come out in England.
    Love reading and seeing little clips of what is to come

Comment by dawn houghton – November 5, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woah i cant wait! looks like a really good episode, thoose by standers are such careless asses who dont wanna be charged, But shonda i am amazed at your writing such good character detail, and an amazing plot. Grey’s anatomy is my favorite show ever. I am a dedictaed grey fan Never have i ever missed an episode.

Comment by jordan thomson – November 5, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a power acting job there. Did anyone else notive how much that woman ubnder the car looks like Meredith?

Comment by Dianne – November 5, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure did.

Comment by Ridelle Wilkerson – November 5, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she sort of reminded me of lexie

Comment by chloe – November 8, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh crap!!! i cant watch the sneak peak from my phone. But rest assured Ellen is going to be great in that scene. :D

Comment by sarah – November 5, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In this promo, the crushed female looks like a composite of Meredith and Lexie.

Comment by Marcia – November 5, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope crisitna gets her priorities in order soon. I am not really phased by all the negative talk against Owen to me it seems that people tend to over look certain things or they already hated him from the start. I can’t change peoples minds on that. However, I really hope things turn around soon for Him. I hate that he is so sad. Crisitna on the other hand I have no words the way SR has taken her is not something to be celebrated in my book. Sleeping with your boss to fit in “REALLY”? anyway I digress I hope Dr. Thomas finds out and really gives her a stern talking to thats if SR doesnt make her sleep with him as well I shutter to think . I have a feeling that we will see more meredith then anything anyway so I am not as excited to watch it she annoys me they both annoy me actually

Comment by RedPanda – November 6, 2012 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And her prorities should be…?

Comment by Ninna – November 8, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still don’t have closure on the plane crash. What happened to the pilot and what took place during the so called week they were out there? I suspect we’ll get bits and pieces during the season, but I was hoping for something more linear.

Comment by Yanggirl – November 6, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow she is fantastic…….I love her Dr Grey rocks!!!

Comment by Lynn – November 6, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really not fair… we are so behind here in Germany ;-)
    Why is Lexie dead?? And where is Mark? Why is he gone too?
    Anybody care to answer.
    Thanks a lot

Comment by Doris – November 7, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lexie died in the plane crash, mark died back in Seattle grace mercy west.

Comment by chloe – November 8, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Meredith, you tell those idiots! lol

Comment by chloe – November 8, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the woman looks like meredith herself..!

Comment by Matt Burke – November 8, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve periodically had hopes for Meredith growing up and becoming a non-annoying character – really — but her shrill shrieking to Cristina in the woods still trying to control her “person” like some 5th grader, while her sister was dying and the fate of her husband unknown, was the last straw. The Mer/Cris “friendship” is an insult to intelligent adult women everywhere and I had hoped Cristina was finally done with a “friend” who never supported her (S5, S7), never understood her (i.e., expecting her to raise her child if she should die, etc.) & tried to control her every move (pushing down aisle S3). What would be really exciting is for Cristina and Owen (who has always supported her career and was always there for her, even when his heart was being torn out) to have their own show, where they can be the exciting, badass couple we’ve only been allowed to see tantalizing glimpses of. It’s definitely time for the writers to step up and fulfill the great potential of CO. The writers wrote OOC actions for both C and O last season — hopefully for a reason I have yet been able to determine. But now Cristina is back, let’s hope both C and Mer realize they have grown out of their unrealistic, depressing co-dependency. Then maybe I can stop flipping the channel everytime I see a Mer/Cris scene.

Comment by Karen – November 11, 2012 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post