CBS' Elementary Scores Post-Super Bowl Slot

Elementary Super BowlElementary scored the ultimate touchdown Monday: a post-Super Bowl slot.

CBS announced Monday that it will broadcast a special episode of the Sherlock Holmes drama following the big game on Sunday, February 3.

RELATEDElementary Exclusive: Look Who’s Playing Joan Watson’s Mom! Will She Approve of Sherlock?

The freshman series, which recently received a full-season pickup, is scheduled to air at 10/9c after the game — though post-sports start times, as always, are approximate.

1. Guy says:

Well… I did NOT see that coming. I thought it would be 2 Broke Girls.

• Guy says:

(or even Person of Interest, which skews heavily male…)

• D'Arcy says:

2 Broke Girls doesn’t fit demographically and would have the same poor outcome Glee did.

Person of Interest is way too serialized, IMO.

• Guy says:

Glee did poorly because that episode was absolute garbage. 2BG could have reached respectable numbers. I just don’t see Elementary doing all that well.

• Christian says:

Glee did fine. This is how the superbowl lead-out programs rank from 2001-2011:
          1. 2001. Survivor: Australian Outback (CBS)- 45.4
          2. 2010. Undercover Boss (CBS)- 38.6
          3. 2006. Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)- 37.9
          4. 2004. Survivor: All Stars (CBS)- 33.5
          5. 2008. House (Fox)- 29.0
          6. 2010. Glee (Fox)- 26.8
          7. 2007. Criminal Minds (CBS)- 26.3
          8. 2009. The Office (NBC)- 22.9
          9. 2005. American Dad (Fox)- 23.1
          10. 2002. Malcolm in the Middle (Fox)- 21.4

2. Paul says:

This show looks terrible.

3. Chris says:

This would be a great opportunity to introduce Elementary’s take on Moriarty…

4. RockGolf says:

Wanna bet they introduce their Moriarity?

5. Howdy says:

wow. i was betting on ‘2 Broke Girls’ as well. I guess they couldn’t find another half hour comedy they want to pair it up with after the show… not even ‘Mike and Molly’.

6. I figured it would be The Big Bang Theory or Two and a Half men, but this is awesome!

7. LE says:

Thought the Super Bowl spot would go to Person of Interest or 2 Broke Girls…

8. Alex says:

Glad to hear it, really been enjoying it so far!

9. GeoDiva says:

I am surprised but happy. Have been enjoying the show.

10. Alex says:

Meh.It’s not much of a show, so I can go to bed early that night!

11. Jared says:

I hate Sherlock Holmes but LOVE ELEMENTARY. Happy to see it get this prime timeslot. This pretty much guarantees a season 2 at this point.

12. Jared says:

Why would CBS air 2 Broke Girls???..its already an established series that has a syndication deal in place guaranteeing atleast 4 seasons. CBS doesn’t need to promote this series anymore than it does.

13. DarkDefender says:

Totally thought they would do the “Red John reveal” episode for The Mentalist.

14. Barb says:

Great news! I’m liking Elementary more and more each time I watch. Hopefully this will get it some more viewers.

15. I’m so happy about this. I’m thinking it’s just as a renewal confirmation as we’ll get for now!

16. Buddy says:

Great news. This show is an example of how you can do a police procedural with some wit and cleverness. The characters have strong personalities and distinct voices. CBS has given the mystery-of-the-week format a bad name with its dull, redundant crime franchises. Elementary and The Good Wife are showing how you make broadcast formulas truly work as storytelling.

17. POIFanatic says:

Awful news. This show is an example of how not to a procedural with any with wit or depth. The characters are not charming and the crimes are redundant. UGH!
    Person of Interest was the best fit for the post-Superbowl spot and CBS blew their chance. Even 2BG would have been great.

18. Diz says:

I’ve only watched the first 2 episodes. The rest are sitting in the DVR. Did it ever get better or is it still just as slow as ever?

19. I love Sherlock Holmes and this show is such a snooze. I wish the BBC Sherlock got this kind of exposure in America.