TVLine Mixtape Throwback Edition: Your Favorite Songs from Buffy, Bones, Chuck, House and More

Get More: TVLine Mixtape

This week’s Star Wars and Boy Meets World news has us feeling a little nostalgic, so for this edition of TVLine Mixtape, we’re going old school.

What follows are some excellent songs from TV episodes past, complete with artist and album information in case you want to add them to your permanent collection.

We chose tunes that stuck in our memories, but we know you’ve got favorites, too. So check out our TVLine Mixtape playlist — Throwback Edition — and then hit the comments with your favorite TV jams from the past!

SERIES AND EPISODE | House, “Lines in the Sand”
TITLE | “Waiting on an Angel”
ARTIST | Ben Harper
ALBUM | Welcome to the Cruel World (1994)
WHY IT ROCKED | House may not have Asperger’s, as Wilson posits in this Season 3 episode, but he does feel an affinity for an autistic boy who can’t connect with the ones who love him most. Harper’s delicate ballad really takes off after their touching exchange.
LINER NOTES | The song also can be found on the House, M.D. Original Television Soundtrack (2007).

SERIES AND EPISODE | Chuck, “Chuck Vs. the Other Guy”
TITLE | “Kettering”
ARTIST | The Antlers
ALBUM | Hospice (2009)
WHY IT ROCKED | We’re well aware that the high point of this Season 3 episode is “Shut up and kiss me,” but we also kinda dig the song that plays as Chuck rescues a drugged Sarah and watches Shaw fall to his “death.” When a nerd can take down Superman, it’s something to sing about, indeed.

SERIES AND EPISODE | My So-Called Life, “Betrayal”
TITLE | “Blister in the Sun”
ARTIST | Violent Femmes
ALBUM | Violent Femmes (1982)
WHY IT ROCKED | As Angela’s voice-over explains, she’d spent most of the show’s only season obsessing over Jordan Catalano, “until one day… I got over him.” Cue the Femmes’ famous drumbeat and some incredibly uninhibited dancing from the future TVLine Performer of the Week. Sure, Rayanne’s going to rip your heart out within the hour, Ange, but until then, rock out!
LINER NOTES | The video below was released to coincide with the song’s appearance on the Gross Pointe Blank soundtrack years after My So-Called Life went off the air.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Bones, “The Killer in the Concrete”
TITLE | “Keep on Tryin’”
ARTIST | Poco
ALBUM | Head Over Heels (1975)
WHY IT ROCKED | Brennan’s wondering what she should do if/when her fugitive dad shows up again, and by-the-book Booth simply suggests asking Max about her mother – because he knows it’s exactly what she wants to do. Then — no joke —  they break into song. It shouldn’t work but it totally does, making the Season 2 episode a little hint at the pair’s if-at-first-you-don’t-succeed romance.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Scrubs, “My Best Friend’s Mistake”
TITLE | “A Little Respect”
ARTIST | Erasure
ALBUM | The Innocents (1988)
WHY IT ROCKED | The song fills the Season 1 episode’s opening scene – in which Dr. Wen makes the crucial call, “Nurse? Erasure!” during surgery – and then is woven through the entire episode as Turk, The Todd, The Janitor, Ted and Carla all bop along to it at one point or another. Literally well-played, Scrubs.
LINER NOTES | If you click on the video below, a warning: The super-catchy tune is, as Turk comments, “like a damn virus.” You’ll be humming it all week.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Veronica Mars, “Look Who’s Stalking”
TITLE | “I Hear the Bells”
ARTIST | Mike Doughty
ALBUM | Haughty Melodic (2005)
WHY IT ROCKED | Just like Veronica, we really like this song – mainly because we can’t hear it without thinking about Logan drunkenly confessing his continuing love for Ms. Mars at Season 2′s replacement prom. “I thought our story was epic, you know? You and me,” he says, drawing closer. “Spanning years and continents, lives ruined, bloodshed. Epic.” She can’t handle the truth and runs away, but have faith, Echolls. After all, no one writes songs about the ones that come easy.
LINER NOTES | The song also appears on show’s soundtrack, also released in 2005.

SERIES AND EPISODE | The X-Files, “Ascension”
TITLE | “Red Right Hand”
ARTIST | Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
ALBUM | Let Love In (1994)
WHY IT ROCKED | As if Special Agent Dana Scully isn’t already freaked when creepy alien abductee Duane Barry kidnaps her in Season 2 and throws her in his car, she’s got to listen to him blast this incredibly eerie song all the way up to Skyland Mountain. Mulder, stop playing around with the cable cars and hurry up!
LINER NOTES | You also can find the song – as well as a hidden track by Cave – on Songs In the Key of X: Music From and Inspired By The X-Files (1996).

SERIES AND EPISODE | Dawson’s Creek, “A Perfect Wedding”
TITLE | “Feels Like Home”
ARTIST | Chantal Kreviazuk
ALBUM | Songs From Dawson’s Creek (1999)
WHY IT ROCKED | After a long night of cater-waitering in Season 2, Dawson and Joey dance and kiss and exchange “I love yous.” (And Abby falls to her watery death, but let’s not think about that just now, ‘kay?)
LINER NOTES | The version of “Feels Like Home” used in this scene is a cover of a Randy Newman tune; Kreviazuk’s recording also appears in the film How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

SERIES AND EPISODE | The Cosby Show, “Happy Anniversary”
TITLE | “(Night Time Is) The Right Time”
ARTIST | Ray Charles
ALBUM | The single was released in 1959; you can find it on The Genius Sings the Blues (1961).
WHY IT ROCKED | One word, two syllables: Baaaaa-by! Rudy killed it in this Season 2 celebration of Russell and Anna Huxtable’s anniversary.

SERIES AND EPISODE | Buffy the Vampire Slayer, “Becoming (Part 2)”
TITLE | “Full of Grace”
ARTIST | Sarah McLachlan
ALBUM | Surfacing (1997)
WHY IT ROCKED | Willow re-ensouls Angel (“I feel like I haven’t seen you in months,” he whispers to a flummoxed Buffy) moments before The Chosen One has to stick a sword in her first love and send him to a hell dimension in order to save the world. Again. How is it possible that this Season 2 scene was shot 14 years ago and Sarah Michelle Gellar’s delivery of “Close your eyes” still brings us to tears?

Comments (124)

• Kettering… on Chuck
    One of the most heartbreaking scenes and songs for me.
    I honestly felt so bad for Shaw, I could actually feel his pain. All he saw was his wife, her love and her death. It truly feels like he died at this exact moment when Chuck shot him. He never came back. Not really.
    It was just SO sad that it almost makes me forget about the next scene.

Comment by JustineK – November 3, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I never felt bad for Shaw. So what his wife died, that doesn’t give him permission to do what he did.

Comment by Josh – November 4, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • definitely would have expected “Any Other World” by Mika included here from the season 2 finale of “The Good Wife”.

Comment by anonymous – November 3, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that song, everytime I heard it remember the elevator’ scene!!

Comment by Anthea – November 4, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “No Chuck, I can. You can’t.” That song stills haunts me. Especially when you thought it was all over and then Shaw tries to drag Sarah down with him. Such a great show!

Comment by Mikayla – November 3, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This throwback soundtrack is making me miss Chuck! That scene actually played in my head as I listened to the song. Felt like walking through nostalgia lane looking through the article. Scrubs, Veronica Mars, My So-Called Life, Buffy…

TVLine should do this thing weekly! There’s a lot more great music from these shows.

Comment by Aiden – November 3, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is my favorite episode of Buffy of all time! And that song! OMG I still sob when I watch this, and whenever I hear this song I cry thinking about this.

Another song that stuck out to me when I was growing up…wait for it, I’m about to get cheesy…Saved By The Bell, when Kelly and Zack break up because she wanted to date Jeff…K and Z still go to the dance together and they have one final dance and Jesse and Slater are singing Michael Bolton’s How am I supposed to Live Without You. OMG I still get teary eye when I hear that song because of Kelly and Zack. LOL.

Comment by Jennifer – November 3, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my goodness! I had totally forgotten about this, but you are so right! I did get teary-eyed when they broke up. I think I might have that episode recording on an old VHS tape somewhere. Wow – bringing back the memories! LOL.

Comment by Amy – November 3, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When Ithink about Veronica Mars, I always remeber the song “sway”by The Perishers and the dance Logan and Veronica shared to that song (Episode 2×17, Plan B). It was just perfect (but I do love the confession of their epic-love).

Comment by steffi – November 3, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do, too! “Sway” was perfect.

Comment by Claire – November 3, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, you missed Sway by The Perishers in season 2, it was so sad but such a perfect moment, Season 2 was my least fave season of VM, I still miss it. You dropped the ball CW

Comment by Tina B. – November 3, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed!! the season 4 pitch of putting her in the FBI would have been awesome… but back then the idea of a 3 year jump in between seasons was unheard of… until one tree hill pulled it off… its never too late for a movie though!!!

Comment by Megan – November 3, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, Sway is the ultimate Veronica Mars song!

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure I listened to “I Hear The Bells” daily for months after seeing that ep.

Comment by Sheldon – November 5, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Veronica Mars was so perfect, music-wise, that there were dozens of options for significant songs, from “Don’t Fear the Reaper” in the pilot on out. But if I had to pick one, I’d go with “Gravity (Falling Down Again)” by Alejandro Escovedo for how perfectly it fit into multiple season 2 plot lines, from Veronica/Logan to the bus crash to Weevil to Mac/Beaver that came to a head during “Plan B,” culminating in Thumper’s death, chained to the bowels of Shark Stadium during its demolition.

“No angels hanging from the ceiling can save you…” indeed.

Comment by GravityChelle – November 23, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also “greys anatomy” had “I hear the bells” – amazing. Also, I knew your Buffy pick would be “full of grace” because it’s amazing and so, so sad. Love this!

Comment by Angie – November 3, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah McLachlan is amazing.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they also had Looking at the World From the Bottom of a Well. TV made me a fan of Mike Doughty. :)

Comment by noa – November 3, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Fountain” by Sara Lov at the end of “The Verdict” on Bones is one of my favorite songs from a show. It comes just as Bones’ offers herself as doubt for the jury and Max is released. Heartbreaking, beautiful, loved it.

Comment by Danielle – November 3, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The end of “The Verdict in the Story” was such a strong moment for all of the characters on Bones. I agree! I also loved Glass Pear’s “My Ghost” at the end of “The Dwarf in the Dirt,” as Booth tried to pass his marksmanship certification and prove that he was still himself, with Brennan looking on for support. I came late to this show, and that’s the moment I realized how invested I was in these characters.
      As for other shows: from Alias, “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” in season 2′s “Double Agent.” HOT, a little right, a little wrong. Love it.

Comment by kelly – November 3, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, “Fountain” at the end of “The Verdict” episode on Bones, that was a great moment.
      I also love the episode “The Bone that Blew” with the song “The Sun will Rise”, where Booth & Bren watch Max & Parker.
      Ok, just a last one. The episode where Booth must pass a test to have his gun back, and must ask Gordon Gordon for advice. It’s “The Dwarf in the Dirt”, and I love the ending when Bren watches Booth shoot. Great song as well.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And of course we can’t leave off Foreigner’s”Hot Blooded”

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – November 3, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • River and roads by the head and the heart, in the final scene of the chuck series finale is my defining song of the show. I hear it and always go back to chuck and Sarah sitting on the beach. Chasing cars from snow patrol when it was on the greys anatomy second season is the song that remind me why I love greys anatomy. Denny’s death, Meredith and Derek got sex scene and everything else that went down in that episode all come back to me when ever I hear this song.

Comment by Emily – November 3, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I still tear up to rivers and roads. :)

Comment by Loni – November 3, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy always had fantastic music. (four soundtracks worth) I guess it helps when your characters’ main hangout is a nightclub. ‘Wild Horses’ – The Sundays, ‘Pavlov’s Bell’ – Aimee Mann, ‘Doesn’t Matter’ – Alison Krauss & Union Station, ‘Blue’ – Angie Hart, Luscious Jackson, Lisa Loeb, Cibo Matto, Third Eye Blind….. Hell, they did an entire musical episode that people still sing along to.

Comment by Irishgirl – November 3, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love everything about your comment :)

Definitely the best tv show soundtrack of all time. Sugar Water… omg I’ve never stopped obsessing over that song, 13 years later it’s still one of my most played tracks haha… and that scene! Transylvanian Concubine, The Devil You Know, She Says, Need To Destroy, Virgin State Of Mind, Prayer Of St Francis, Nothing But You, Strong, Lucky, Charge… Ok, I need to launch my music player, like right now lol. I think it’s gonna be the BtVS music marathon for the next hours ^^

Also, Chuck & GA have awesome music too (Young Blood by The Naked & Famous is THE musical moment of Chuck for me because it’s a great track, and for obvious storylines related reasons).

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Sugar Water”…What a scene. Loved Buffy gone bad for an episode, lol! And I listen to it a lot as well!

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha, loved it as well, one of my fave episodes. Seeing Cordelia lecturing her was also a great moment ^^

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Buffy had great songs, really off the radar bands, but I think some of the strongest music moments came from the moving instrumentals from Chris Beck. The Becoming scene where Buffy kills Angel(mentioned above) was actually soaring score “Close Your Eyes” for which Beck won an Emmy. “Full of Grace” came right after that scene. “Passion”- music when Jenny dies & Buffy & Giles talk at end so moving, end of Amends when snow starts falling, The Wish, Hush entire episode etc…Amazing!

Comment by ally – November 3, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! All of the scores can bring me to tears.

Comment by Court – November 3, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahh… THE song of Buffy & Angel STILL brings me to tears (or very near). Beck is amazing.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • One song that always stuck to me when thinking of “Buffy”, aside from “Full of Grace” by Sarah MacLachlan of course, was “I’ll Remember You” from Sophie Zelmani, which plays at the end of “Angel”, when Buffy and Angel dance together and her necklace burns a cross on his chest. That was the moment for me when I knew this show would go places not many at that time would.

Comment by Lambsilencer – November 3, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Right! I loved that moment as well!! Ahh, the beginning of Buffy & Angel…

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 02:26 PM PDT
      • The scores were AMAZING. Chris Beck did a wonderful job, really. Rob Duncan’s The Final Fight was pretty epic too! “I. Want you. To get out of my face.” omg just thinking of Buffy getting back on her feet with the music going strong is giving me chills.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Completely agree in regards to the score of the early seasons by Chris Beck. The Buffy/Angel theme, which culminated in “Close Your Eyes” is perhaps one of the most memorable tv themes of all time, in my humble opinion. And when it went into Full of Grace…I still tear up everytime I hear it/see those scenes.

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The scores in Buffy were beautiful. I know one of my absolute favorites was “Sacrifice” from season five episode 22. It’s gorgeous and heartfelt and the scene where Buffy jumps to save her sister is heartbreaking. Especially all of the characters reactions after they see Buffy is dead.

Comment by Ali – November 24, 2012 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also from BONES, the Adele song from the episode where Angela and Hodgin’s son Michael is born, as the leadup to Brennan spill her own pregnancy news. I had to buy the Itune single when I first heard it.

Comment by Stacey – November 3, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Make you feel My Love” by Adele. Great song!

Comment by ally – November 3, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Feels Like Home” is one of my favorite songs from the whole Dawson’s Creek series. Brings me right back every time I hear it.

Comment by Claire – November 3, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! That song will always remind me of Dawson’s Creek. The Dawson’s Creek soundtrack is still one of my favorites to listen to, along with the first Buffy soundtrack. Both are just completely solid albums.

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That and also “Never Saw Blue Like That” by Shawn Colvin – so beautiful!

Comment by EC – November 3, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the accoustic version of “hey ya” performed by ted – scrubs season 8 mysoul on fire part 2

Comment by João Gordinho – November 3, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hear the bells will be forever ingrained on my brain, that scene was pure magic LoVe!

Comment by Torontogirl98 – November 3, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Kettering on Chuck. Brings back memories…..but talking about Superman, another great song – Breathe Again from the Smallville finale. I still can’t listen to it without getting teary.

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A couple classic old school music moments: Family Ties Alex & Ellen “Billy Vera “At this Moment” & “Hallejuah” by Jeff Buckley in the OC episode when Marisa dies. Another sad one: Roswell Christmas episode “Calling all Angels” by Jane Siberry as Max heals all the kids.

Comment by ally – November 3, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Calling All Angels was also used in Charmed (Deja Vu All Over Again) when Andy Trudeau was killed. The sight of the police funeral processional with this song in the background was a tearjerker.

Comment by seeingdouble – November 3, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, from the debate episode of Community. Love that song!

Comment by Cindy – November 3, 2012 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never understood the Veronica/Logan relationship. Throughout the entire series I always just saw him as an asshole with hardly any redeeming qualities.

Veronica deserved so much better.Kind of baffles me why people seem to ship them so much.

Comment by Liam_H – November 3, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy FTW! I didn’t even watch BTVS at the time, but I happened to be over at a friend’s house who watched the show, and it was the night that Becoming Part 2 aired. That was the first episode I ever saw. I didn’t know or care about these characters at all, but Angel being re-souled, their kiss, and her telling him to “close his eyes” had me crying something awful. And the playing of Full of Grace at the end was so powerful!

Comment by Amy – November 3, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BUFFY! OMG, I have loved David Boreanaz’s work for so long now… (and Sarah Michelle Gellar, what a great actress!). And yes, that moment was amazing, heartbreaking, beautiful etc…
    But I was going to say that ALL moments between Sarah Michelle Gellar/Buffy & her Angel were amazing, so… So so many great scenes.
    I still can’t get over the fact that Joss didn’t have them together in the end. I mean “Forever is the whole point”, isn’t it?

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But there’s something kind of powerful about Buffy not ending up with Angel or anyone else in the end. It was a show about a fiercely strong woman, and Joss totally broke from cliche by having her story not be wrapped around a romantic relationship in the end. She was still growing and becoming herself, and it was such an unusual and brave note in the sea of shows that have an ‘end game’ as ‘shippers call it.

Comment by Brooke – November 4, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want a great song from bones how about Margot and the Nuclear So-So’s “Light on a Hill” in Season 2 “Aliens in a Spaceship” when the team rescues Hodgins and Bones from the gravedigger. Chills.

Comment by Stephanie – November 3, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES. In that moment, I realized that fictional or not, I am straight-up in love with Seeley Booth. I love his single-minded sprint down the hill and Brennan’s fear and the hug she gives Hodgins. That’s my favorite Bones scene. When I got the DVDs and realized that some season one songs were changed, I rushed to this one to make sure it was the same. So perfect.

Comment by kelly – November 3, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Kate Voegele’s Wish You Were in the One Tree Hill episode where the girls are all locked in the library. She starts singing it herself as Mia and then a lot of characters join in.
    And, more recently, Rosi Golan’s Can’t Go Back as featured in The Vampire Diaries (somewhere near the end of season 3). Chills.

Comment by Martine – November 3, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural-Season 2 Episode 3 “Bloodlust” The repaired Impala cruises up over the hill to AC/DC’s Back In Black. It still puts a huge smile on my face.

Comment by seeingdouble – November 3, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Songs not mentioned that without a doubt make me think of a television show:
    Renegade, Back in Black and Carry on My Wayward Son from Supernatural.
    Rivers and Roads from Chuck’s final episode/final scene.
    Devil Town from Friday Night Lights.

Comment by Amber – November 3, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Amber gaahhhh FNL! Devil Town. Love. love. loved that moment. greatest show ever. I also loved Brandi Carlile’s cover of Bryan Adams’ “Heaven” when Matt proposed to Julie.

I love reading everyone’s comments because I have never watched some of these shows and I have a podcast/radio show where I play cover songs and music from tv shows and movies so I’m constantly researching. I love the music they play on some of these shows so thanks to everyone for all the great input – these are great songs!! I played some of them on my last show! :)

Comment by Dena – January 5, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ps. did anyone see last week’s amazing version of “The Name Game” on AHS?? Glorious.

Comment by denaholtz – January 5, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, about songs in TV-SHows, i got to know many of them thanks to “Cold Case”… tearful in all the ends…

About Chuck, my favourite is “Dice” in the chapter Chuck vs Sandworm… outbreaking how he try to protect his friendship with Morgan… but is so parallel to the OC chapter too…

Six Feet Under – Breathe from Sia
    The Big C – lullaby from Sia (end of season 1st, when the kid knew about his mother condition)

Without a Trace – World outside – palo alto

I´m still here – Rizzolli & Isles – Season 2 finale song… love that

Comment by jm – November 3, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first time I watched the ending of Six Feet Under, I was sobbing – Breathe from Sia was the perfect song for this part. Still makes me tear up when I hear it!

Comment by purplelizard – November 3, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually have whole playlists for Chuck, Veronica Mars, Buffy, and Scrubs, as well as Pretty Little Liars, The OC, and HIMYM, even though those are not on here. These are great songs, though I also thought of some others for them. There are songs I can’t listen to without thinking of these shows. With Chuck, I get giddy every time I hear “Creature Fear” by Bon Iver or “Bye Bye Bye” by Plants and Animals because I think of Chuck and Sarah. With Veronica Mars, “Sway” by the Perishers or “Momentary Thing” by Something Happens are just as “epic” as “I Hear the Bells.” There are many more from both shows. I think they had the best soundtracks. I also was one of those people who actually watched My So-Called Life when it originally aired (even though I was only 9) and still use “Blister in the Sun” as my “I’m over him” song. I think the special thing about these shows is that they used the music to move the storylines along. It’s not like those shows that use way too much music (as happens a lot, I’ve noticed, with ABC dramas) for the sake of using a song. Or worse, shows like Glee that I no longer watch because it’s like they try to write the plot around the music, instead of the other way around.

Comment by Lindsey – November 3, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more about Glee. For a musical show, it’s a real shame that they’re not able to make the audience “feel” the music anymore. When the show began, people liked the songs more than just for the music aspect because there was a powerful emotional charge surrounding it. Usually people try to remember what song plays in what scene. With Glee, you have to remember what scene was accompanying the song.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree, Lindsey. Chuck and Bon Iver will forever stick in my head because of that great episode! Must have watched it like 20 times ;-)

Comment by Anna – November 3, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snow Patrol “Chasing Cars” in Grey’s Anatomy after Denny’s death, where Alex first starts talking to Izzy, trying to convince her to leave Denny’s bed, all the way to the, when she confesses to the Chief that she cut the wire and then walks out, with George and Alex trailing behind her to make sure she’s not alone. So SO powerful

Comment by Tracy – November 3, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree with you, brings the tears everytime.

Comment by Annie-C – November 3, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! This was the moment I fell in love with Grey’s. It was perfection. Nothing on any other show has ever come close to moving me the way that scene did.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite BONES song is the one from Season 5′ finale; when Booth leaves to Afghanistan. One Eskimo by Kandi. EPIC song played during the perfect moment. All the feels in the world for that scene.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, I meant Kandi by One Eskimo.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah! I was just coming in here to post about Kandi! Loved that scene and love that song.

Comment by Delia – November 6, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many from ‘Cold Case’, but the ones that stuck in my mind are ‘Live To Tell’ by Madonna from the end of ‘Churchgoing People’, where two siblings reconnect after their father’s murder is solved, The Byrds’ version of ‘My Back Pages’ from the end of ‘Forever Blue’, Sarah MacLachlan’s ‘Fallen’ from the end of ‘The Promise’ and Nina Simone’s ‘Strange Fruit’ at the end of ‘Strange Fruit’.

Comment by Marco – November 3, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My all-time favorite pairing of song/scene is Beth Orton’s “She Cries Your Name” from Roswell. I’m still bummed about it having to be replaced on the DVDs. Just doesn’t evoke the same emotion

Comment by Cheryl – November 3, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right! All the songs from Roswell (loved that tv show! Max & Liz forever!) were great! And when I bought the DVDs, surpriiise, they had them all replaced because of pb with the rights or something…

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorites is Sia’s “Breathe Me” in the series finale of Six Feed Under. Claire is driving away while we see scenes of the deaths of each of the main characters. It was one of the most powerful music moments in a season finale ever.

Another standout for me is “Battleflag” by Low Fidelity Allstars, which plays when Lucy and Carter were stabbed on ER. I couldn’t get that song out of my head after that episode. The interplay between the song, the Valentine’s day party, and the violence was all too eerie, but very memorable at the same time, and just perfect.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breathe me by sia in six feet under is and will always be the best song used by a show and in the most perfect ending ever

Comment by Kc – November 3, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh man, you are so right about that song from ER!

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That ending sure made cry :( what an ending best ever!

Comment by SVCloiser – November 22, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A great Dawsons Creek scene is when Jen askes to move back home with Grams, and Alanis’s “That I Would Be Good.” Is playing. It is Probably one of my favorite scenes of the show.

Comment by Joey P – November 3, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Breathe” by Sia for the series finale of Six feet Under.. Great song choice to one of TV’s best finales of all time

Comment by JP – November 3, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh! From “My so called life”, there was that song sung by that homeless girl (Juliana Hatfield) called “Make it Home”.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! That’s how I got into Juliana Hatfield when I was in grade 7! Yay 1995 :)

Comment by Singingal – November 3, 2012 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From “Roswell”, when Majandra Delfino sings “I can feel it coming in the air tonight”, it’s a great moment.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Veronica Mars scene is so great, and the music adds so, so much to it. Absolutely fantastic.

I do love the Chuck scene that is posted, but there are two episodes that I think are even better.

1) Chuck vs. Santa Claus – both the scene in the Christmas trees while Silent Night plays, as well as the scene where they use Your Vegas’ “Christmas and Me are Through”

2) Chuck vs. The Fat Lady – the scene where it cuts back and forth between Chuck getting it on with Jill, and Casey and Sarah down in Castle going through the flash drive of Fulcrum agents. Frightened Rabbit’s “Keep Yourself Warm” is so perfectly synced with those two scenes, and the moment that Casey and Sarah discover that Jill is a Fulcrum agent is made all the more epic by the song.

Comment by CJ – November 3, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “It Feels Like Home” is definitely in the top 5 Dawson’s Creek songs, but for me #1 will always be “Daydream Believer” playing when Joey kissed Pacey for the first time (instead of him kissing her), while staying at the cabin in the woods.

Comment by Ashley – November 3, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i became a Mike Doughty fan because of that song on Veronica Mars. and i finally went to his show in September. so good!

Comment by noa – November 3, 2012 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my all time favorites from Buffy is the episode Tabula Rasa and at the end Michelle Branch singing Goodbye to You. Giles leaving, Willow & Tara breaking up. What a perfect song for this episode

Comment by Joni – November 3, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Kc – November 3, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%. I love that version more than the one on Spirit Room

Comment by Kristin – November 5, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good Buffy choice. How wasn’t The O.C. on there? They had the best music and a lot of great moments that fit well with it. Grey’s Anatomy too. In fact, whenever Alexandra Patsavas is in the credits, the music is always great.

Comment by Annie-C – November 3, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From Scrubs, My Number One Doctor – the song B-13 by Jump, Little Children. It’s so well placed as the patient goes into the car and you know she is dying “There is a place for me, far, far away.” It just gave me chills.

Comment by AN – November 3, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones episode the ‘verdict in the story’ when Max is burning the FBI agent and Placebo’s version of “ringing up the hill” is playing . Great song for that episode And great song period.

Comment by Kc – November 3, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops “running up the hill”. Not ringing

Comment by Kc – November 3, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The episode with “Running Up That Hill” is actually called “Judas on a Pole,” but I totally agree that it’s a GREAT scene and great use of music.

Comment by kelly – November 3, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I am a total Pacey/Joey fan, I loved the song Bless the Broken Road that was in the Season 1 Finale of Dawson’s Creek! I couldn’t find the song anywhere untol it was released by Rascall Flatts awhile later!! But both the Soundtracks for DC are awesome! The Buffy song was a great choice. The episode and the song always make me cry…it’s heartbreaking….

Comment by JustB – November 3, 2012 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finley Quaye’s “Dice” in the first season of the O.C. (the New Years Eve episode) is another favorite of mine. Ryan is running up the stairs to kiss Marissa before midnight, and the song was a perfect backdrop for the moment.

Another from the O.C. has to be when Marissa dies in the car crash and Imogen Heap’s version of “Hallelujah” is playing in the background. It was beyond haunting.

Comment by Liz – November 3, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES to both of those….love “Dice”!

Comment by EC – November 3, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably two of the best music moments on TV :)

Comment by Meghan – November 4, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ROSWELL season 1 end of 1st ep Dave Matthews band “crash” when Liz thanks max for saving her and he says thank you. OMG tears

Comment by evans – November 3, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Roswell really had great music, and that moment is still one of my all-time favorite moments. It’s such a shame that a lot of the songs had to be replaced because production didn’t secure rights to the songs. At least Crash didn’t get replaced!

Comment by Amy – November 3, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • your so right!! the original songs just added to it..another great song “everything” by Lifehouse when Max asks Liz for the last time if she really slept with Kyle and she shakes her head slightly no. another great moment of many from that show

Comment by kallie – November 4, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my (many) favorite Chuck musical moments is in the Season 3 premiere with the song Wait it Out (where do we go from here) by Imogene Heap. I think it summed up their relationship very well, haunting, beautiful, with always something between them keeping them apart.

Gosh, I miss this show.

Comment by Loni – November 3, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You got the music mix right. I can hear the songs in my head and see the scenes in the episodes. Great job.

Comment by tvdiva – November 3, 2012 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this post!!! Music is so important in shows the right song or theme can instill that scene in your head forever.

Chuck: Kettering is such a haunting song perfect for what I think is one of the best episode of the series it’s like a small movie has everything. But rivers and roads was a brilliant last-song-of-the-series choice,the words match the story and how we leave chuck and Sarah having to go through ‘rivers and roads’ til they can be together and somehow that song always makes the room a bit dusty.
    Scrubs: dashboard confessionals ‘you have stolen my heart’ in ep 6.21? My cold shower, after dr.cox Kelso and Turk spend the day imagining the craziness that would be them being married to Eliot, At her engagement party to Keith we see J.D’s version and he realises ‘it should be me’ marrying her. And anything ted’s band does
    VMARS: love ‘I hear the bells’ but also ‘Fair’ by Annuals in season 3 ‘show me the monkey’ where Veronica turns up at Logan’s door when they’re briken up and they kiss felt bad for Piz though in the scene the next day.
    Buffy: the music by christopher Beck and Robert Duncan made so many scenes perfect, the final fight, close your eyes, the gift when she jumps, Amends etc have a soft spot for I only have eyes for you simply because I absolutely love that episode as a stand alone can’t explain why i just loved the story.

Comment by Rach – November 3, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta say… As much as I agree with many (most?) of the songs/moments mentioned both in the article and the comments… I’m surprised Brothers In Arms, by Dire Straits, from the West Wing episode “Two Cathedrals”, wasn’t mentioned. That whole scene, with President Bartlett’s soliloquy -or actually, make it the whole episode ending with the caravan under the rain and the press conference- was simply epic. Goosebumps just from remembering it.

Comment by Delirious – November 3, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!!! Totally agree!

Comment by Sara – November 3, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now and then, and for all the eternity BUFFY ROCKS…!!!!

Comment by Fernanda – November 3, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck- Menew- dont give up on us now I believe it is at the end of the first part of the season 3 finale, after shaw kills chucks dad and is locking up chuck, Sarah and Casey in the van.

Comment by Alex – November 3, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post