Political Animals Exclusive: No Season 2 For Greg Berlanti's Acclaimed USA Network Miniseries

USA Network has opted not to order additional episodes of Political Animals, its acclaimed-yet-ratings-challenged drama from Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and starring Sigourney Weaver.

Although billed as a “limited series event,” Berlanti told TVLine over the summer that there was potential to spin more stories about the Barrish family (fronted by Weaver) and intrepid journo Susan Berg (Carla Gugino).

RELATED | USA Cancels Two Series, Including Fairly Legal

But the ratings never matched the universal raves it garnered; the Washington D.C.-set saga averaged roughly 3.2 million viewers during its run. Still, there was hope that the undeniable cachet it brought to USA would lead to a Season 2 order.

“We are proud of Political Animals, our miniseries that attracted critical acclaim and impacted the cultural conversation this summer,” the network said in a statement. “It was a pleasure to work with Greg Berlanti and Laurence Mark and a powerful cast led by Sigourney Weaver. We look forward to collaborating again with these immensely talented creatives.”

In a statement released via Twitter on Friday, Berlanti called the project “one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life,” adding, “The cast, the crew, writers, studio and USA were all a dream to work with. We all got to make what we set out to. Couldn’t be more proud!”

1. Denise says:

OMG……………best show of the season!! I cannot believe it is not getting a Season 2!! So sad……Stuck with crappy like reality and Honey Boo Boo! Please reconsider!

2. Sue says:

Political Animals was a well written and extremely well acted TV show. I can’t believe USA cancelled it! This is a huge disappointment. I hope USA reconsiders or another network picks it up.

3. Chris says:

Berlanti WHY?? Political Animals was amazing. I felt short changed on how short Everwood ran. I loved that series. Luckily Emily Van Camp found Brothers and Sisters another smash hit. And now Revenge.

4. Sharon Hamill says:

The most unfair thing of all was it was 3 of the 6 weeks it was on, it had to compete with the OLYMPICS. It never had a chance. BOO

5. bruce frassinelli says:

This is one of the best shows I have ever seen. It should have been given a chance to develop a larger following. I hope some forward-thinking network salvages this incredibly fine series.

6. Jeff says:

Won’t ever watch USA again. What a short sighted stupid move.

7. Sarah says:

Go figure! One of the few quality shows does NOT get picked up and yet we still have crappy shows like Bad Girls and The Housewives on. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring it back.

8. Melissa says:

Seriously?!?!? We should start a petition to get USA to so a second season….even if its a LIMITED Season 2. This show was/is so well written, great actors, great set…great everything….it needs to come back for a season 2!! C’MON USA Network!!

9. BARBARA CARLIN says:

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THE BEST SHOW ON TV IS NOT BEING CONTINUED. WHAT A SHAME. BUT LET’S KEEP STUPID GO ON OR NEW GIRL………RIDICULOUS.

10. Sue says:

Michael Ausiello: Is Greg Berlanti trying to sell “Political Animals” to another network to revive a Season 2, and do you think he can be successful in doing so?????

11. Sue says:

Greg should pitch Political Animals to HBO or Showtime and they should seriously consider it!!

• Anya Feinberg says:

I sincerely hope he does. I get Showtime and would love it on that station. Not enough people knew about the series. I called my cousin while she was watching the first episode of Political Animals and that’s how I found out about it . I was a serious fan. Am a serious and devoted fan. Anya

12. Bob says:

Why is it that so many people like the show but they choose to cancel further productions… Trust me you guys will make a fortune on this one…

13. aaron says:

Best show ive watched on USA in a long time besides burn notice. ..law and order im burnt out on…everything about the show was great. It ended like there had to be a second season. So sad. Come on spike, tnt, amc…pick up their loss.

14. TimT. says:

Wow, big mistake….did u guys actually watch this show? It is way too interesting to cancel.

15. Cathy-Atlanta says:

Very disappointed! My family was loving Political Animals. Hope they will reconsider.

16. Ray says:

I just finished Political Animals I was hoping it was getting a season 2 :( It was awesome

17. Shawn says:

No no no! Political Animals was my favorite show.
    Damn you USA

18. Karen W. says:

Isn’t 3.2 mil for a cable show a decent number?

• Sharon says:

You would think 3.6 million viewers would be more then enough since 3 of the 6 weeks they were on the same time as the OLYMPICS. DUH ,!!!!!!

19. doxie1142 says:

Geez, they keep silly shows like Psych and Covert Affairs, but dump really great shows like Political Animals. I am also bummed that they dropped “Fairly Legal.” It wasn’t a great show, but sure was entertaining!

20. Yes, please bring this show back!

21. Elaine Carroll says:

This was one of the best shows on television. I’ve been looking forward to season 2, and am very disappointed there will not be one. It’s unfortunate USA didnt give it another season to catch on, because I am certain it would have.

22. Gerry says:

Myself and many of my friends and family were looking forward to season 2. Why did you cancel the show. We are so tired of police shows and killing. This show was so true almost about the politicians. Please bring it back, Please.

23. I feel like all the real good tv shows don’t get 2nds seasons. Political Animals is a smart, trilling tv show that I was crazy about new episodes. Shame.

24. Kathy McDonnell says:

USA is making a big mistake not capitalizing on Political Animals with a 2nd season. It wasn’t advertised that much and I just happened to find out about it. Anyone I told about it became loyal viewers. It has far greater potential than many of the famous long standing dramas, USA management needs to get a grip!

25. Rashod Ellis says:

This is ashamed, this show is the definition of good tv. It has such brilliant writing and a wonderful story line. Furthermore it really helped depict the lies and back door deals in Washington DC. This show needs to come, or another network needs to swiftly come and pick it up. We need to bring real creative shows like this back, and stop with all the reality shows. Lastly the show was left on a huge cliff hanger. You cannot just leave a show with so many unanswered questions.

26. Bryan says:

Please stop canceling shows based on flawed Nielsen ratings! They do not reflect the behavior of modern people who watch shows like Political Animals and others in nontraditional ways … online, DVR, cable on demand. Networks across the board are killing great shows and it has to stop.

• Anya Feinberg says:

Thank you for your insightful comment. Would like to get Amazon or Netflix to pick it up. loved the story line as well as the cast.

Anya

27. vinessa says:

PLEEEEEEZE bring Political Animals back. It was such a pleasure to watch a series that was mature, real and really entertaining. Really bring it back!!!!

28. Queenie says:

I’m disappointed that Political Animals is not returning to TV. I think that the producers for Political Animals should check with TNT or Oprah.

29. Tina Hamilton says:

USA you are idiots! Plain and simple…idiots!

30. Barbara Leyendecket says:

Really??? It was such a good series!!!! I guess you’re going to replace it with some mindless, boring, ridiculous reality & talent show!!

31. IDIOTS!!! why would you cancel something so great. No wonder this channel sucks.

32. Aaron says:

That decision is completely ridiculous. I’ve never ever watched a series on usa mostly because they bore me with low grade actors and a snoozing storyline. I watched political animals on netflix and was completely prepared to start catching the new season on whatever station it belonged to and now I’m super dissapointed that the usa network is a complete and epic failure in recognizing talent!!! WOW

33. Ian says:

Loved this series. Does anyone know the name of the piano piece being played in the final scene?

34. Wallace says:

That was a great show,I don’t understand.

35. cathy says:

Totally disappointing really enjoyed the show a lot. I am so sorry for the cast that put such great time in to it to entertain us. then they put on some crap reality show and call this entertainment. NOT

36. Marie Morgan says:

The same thing happened to “Commander In Chief” with Geena Davis. I guess backwards Republicans just watch more TV than educated people and thus skew the ratings away from quality programming towards Duck Dynasty. That’s why I normally stick with the BBC.

37. Tammy says:

This is a great show have they renewed it yet?

38. Rose says:

Stupid! One of the best shows I’ve ever seen! Like “Monday Mornings” by TNT. Too much reality – not enough entertainment for quick thinking smart people!

39. Julie says:

Please bring Political Animals back.

It was richly layered with a tough, yet vulnerable female lead, an ensemble cast of well loved actors, and a script developed by wonderful writers.

We need more strong female film/TV leads that are also believable.

It is one of the very best TV series I’ve seen, rivaling House of Cards and Luther.

Out of the three above mentioned series, only one still stands…House of Cards.

Please bring this series back. I promise to tell all my girlfriends, both with and without girls who NEED strong female heroes.